Damn this Prius seasonal event is a pain in the behind

A hint for those who want to try this with as little upgrades as possible:

I had a couple of attempts only with an oil change and soft comfort tires (car comes with medium comforts as stock). Came within 1.5 seconds of the leader yesterday, so winning should be possible with 5 laps of clean and efficient driving. But you might need to use a wheel, because every time you turn in too hard you lose momentum.

Using racing tyres on this is overkill. I did this just by using sports soft and nothing else.

Using racing tyres on this is overkill. I did this just by using sports soft and nothing else.

Same but I did put a few other mods such as a sports air filter and sports cat. I then realised it was overkill but nevermind.

I seriously find it hard to believe people are struggling on this one :S ...its probably the easiest challenge of the current bunch to be honest :S

The Prius is an abomination.

I installed racing tires and won at a canter, fwiw.

Yeah this is difficult to believe.

I overcooked it ,thinking after finishing 5th bone stock, I needed some HP and sports tires.

Won by over 6 seconds.

Why tune? I only bought racing soft tyres. The event was just like the 4 others a true walk in the park.

I used a suspension tune someone had posted for a Civic Type R, sport soft tires, and a little extra power. Even that felt like overkill.

I did it quite easy, lowered the suspension, set the suspension quite hard with the front slightly softer, -0.5 toe on the front and left the rear the same. Most important thing is momentum, since the car is absolutely disgustingly ****e and slow as crap even with 150bhp, you have to keep the speed up as much as possible, so just be smooth. The sooner you get it over with the sooner you can lock that car away in some shed so you don't ever have to see it again.

I won with SM, 4.5K suspension kit and a little tune (ECU). Considering give it a try with no tune.

Really? I thought it was a piece of cake. My car has a Titanium race exhaust (Tried to make the car sound more interesting, didn't work) with Soft Sports tyres.

I won it yesterday, tuned my car and learned how to drive a slow car (for a change). It is not as bad as it first seems, kinda fun and a good change of pace.

Incorrect. The combustion engine works in parallel with the electric motor to drive the car. This is actually simulated....when you run out of battery power in GT5 (usually on the second lap in this event) you can hear the 4 cylinder (or is it three?) work much harder.

Yup to this. And it's a 1.8L 4-banger.

Honda's Insight and CR-Z use the same kind of parallel systems (there are differences, of course, but they all use both gas AND electric to move the cars). Far as I know, the new Chevy Volt is the only one currently using the gas engine purely to run the generator. And I may have misunderstood that part of the Volt's tech specs...

And yeah, in retrospect I probably should have just done soft sports or hard racing tires and called it a day. I wanted to just get this event DONE, though, and didn't want to have to do 5 laps in a Prius only to find out I didn't tune it enough! :)

Being a cheapskate and disliking the Prius, all I did was sports softs, a racing filter, the catalytic converter upgrade and maybe the sports exhaust. Also hung on it the sports suspension parts (not the FC suspension). Had to go into the suspension to tinker a bit to kill the car's horrid understeer. Also did all the weight reduction. Stock the car handles like a pig, at least for this DS3 jockey. With the above upgrades it gets around a bit better. Caught the lead car at turn 1 of the last lap and passed him sometime between there and the hairpin. Watch out for the switchover between electric and IC modes that comes somewhere mid-race -- you lose a bit of torque, it seems like, once it goes to IC, and the change can definitely upset the handling. First-time drive for me it hit in the middle of the last turn as I was completing a pass and threw me straightaway into the gravel pit.

easy, yet quite annoying lol

the other events i golded were way more fun :) now i have like 6 fully built new cars whoo hoo!

People actually found this hard?

I won it with a massive lead with a stock prius on racing medium tires, very easy.

Had no difficulty with this event at all. First try came out on top. As for a few on the ones in seasonal 2 i only got silvers. But the seasonal 3 events, have not had an issue with yet. Going to go buy the Citoren WRC car.

This game amazes me.
Changing your tires compound adds more benefit than adding HP upgrades.

This game amazes me.
Changing your tires compound adds more benefit than adding HP upgrades.
I would say that's a given. A hp upgrade won't have such a huge impact on the Prius because it starts with few hp to begin with (so you need to tune heavily to get somewhere). Also, the engine tuning disregards the electric engine completely, so you only upgrade a portion of the avilable horses anyway.

Tires however improve your braking, cornering and overall car control, allowing for quicker corner exits and thus higher speeds on the following straights. So tires give you everything, including a virtual power upgrade.

Tires are everything in this game - they improve braking, acceleration and cornering...

It is kind of ridiculous what they can do.

That's not really any different than real life.

Have any of you ever driven on racing slicks? Night and day from treaded tires.

Even the change from passenger tires to performance tires is a HUGE jump on a track in real life.

Seems most like me didnt have much of any issue with this hehe just be smooth. Seriously you barley need to brake except for the first corner.. coming off the throttle completely changes the handling so keep a little bit all the time!

That's not really any different than real life.

Have any of you ever driven on racing slicks? Night and day from treaded tires.

Even the change from passenger tires to performance tires is a HUGE jump on a track in real life.

Bingo. 👍

I used to run real-world autocross events in a Honda CRX. I started on performance street tires, went to Kumho VictoRacer (DOT-rated treaded) track tires, and it was a huge difference. Then, for kicks, I picked up a set of Goodyear Eagle racing slicks in a super-soft compound. HO-LEE MOLEY! I literally could not find their limits for the first few events, because their grip levels were just outside my realm of experience. Hold revs at 3500-4000rpm, sidestep the clutch at launch, a tiny chirp from the tires, and then HOLD ON! 2nd-gear slaloms were now being done in 3rd gear @ 5500rpm. Corners could be taken at 55mph. It was surreal. I worried that the suspension would break before the tires lost grip! My times were averaging 4-7 seconds per run faster than any other CRX that showed up (there were typically more than half a dozen, in various states of tune). All of them had more power than me, but none of them ran full slicks.

Back