Dark souls

Shameless bump... I mean sorry for double post :sly:.

I managed to complete all my targets for my Gwyn kill, I made alot of needless mistakes and healed more then I'd have liked but no matter as he fell to a swift slash from my fire Iaito (2 handed heavy attack).

NG+ is interesting, I've walked through my way to Anor Londo with only one irritation. The damn dragon on the bridge will not die this time around, I just can't kill him no matter what I try even though in normal NG I didn't struggle to much to get him in to a pattern which allowed me to deal damage but now he won't play ball. I can't arrow him to death as he heals, and if I manage to get some melee hits eventually he goes in to spam mode and jumps on the spot and burns me, I get up and heal and he's doing it again until I run out of Estus pretty much. Any insights?

Dragonistic
Shameless bump... I mean sorry for double post :sly:.

I managed to complete all my targets for my Gwyn kill, I made alot of needless mistakes and healed more then I'd have liked but no matter as he fell to a swift slash from my fire Iaito (2 handed heavy attack).

NG+ is interesting, I've walked through my way to Anor Londo with only one irritation. The damn dragon on the bridge will not die this time around, I just can't kill him no matter what I try even though in normal NG I didn't struggle to much to get him in to a pattern which allowed me to deal damage but now he won't play ball. I can't arrow him to death as he heals, and if I manage to get some melee hits eventually he goes in to spam mode and jumps on the spot and burns me, I get up and heal and he's doing it again until I run out of Estus pretty much. Any insights?

I was about to ask you this. I've never found a good way to kill it. Maybe a Dragonslayer Greatbow +5 can deal with it. Hey, will enter in the PSN now, it's ok if i add you?

I was about to ask you this. I've never found a good way to kill it. Maybe a Dragonslayer Greatbow +5 can deal with it. Hey, will enter in the PSN now, it's ok if i add you?

Sure, I won't be able to accept until Wednesday at least as I still have no home internet.

I have a Dragonslayer bow +5 but no arrows yet (I'm in Anor Londo though), so I may combine that and allow the rats to damage me enough to let the Red Tearstone Ring (increased damage at low health) kick in and hopefully that's one way to do it. Alternatively google gave up a decent looking result with a little diagram which shows a spot which may be safe to attack from. On my first playthrough I could deal enough damage to just beat down on him and only needed 2-3 opportunities by the time I decided to kill it.

I think in patch 1.05 they've improved the Dragon's AI so it doesn't get stuck in the routine I lulled it in to on my first playthrough where it simply flew back a bit, walked forward until I hit it and flew back and walked again (no fire). Here's the link to the image with one seemingly foolproof looking tactic though and it is different to the way I did it pre-1.05.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/Fox269/Darksoulsdragonstrat.jpg

I'll try that, and the red tearstone + bow technique this weekend after I finish Anor Londo and get the warp ability again.

Is there any possible way to save Solaire the Sunbro? I unlocked the shortcut to Lost Izalith and i found Solaire with the Sunlight Maggot thing on his head and he started to attack me.

Is there any possible way to save Solaire the Sunbro? I unlocked the shortcut to Lost Izalith and i found Solaire with the Sunlight Maggot thing on his head and he started to attack me.

This was something I wanted to do also, but I didn't want to be a Chaos Servant more so didn't really try the suggested ways. I don't know the specific requirements by memory, it's something like you must unlock the shortcut and kill the maggots BEFORE you beat the Centipede demon or something, then you might have to beat the centipede demon and go back through to Izalith without saving (thereby not respawning the maggots). I'll be honest though I'm not at all sure and have no way to confirm currently.

Killing Solaire was the low point of the game for me, I did everything I could to let him live without becoming a servant to Chaos, I went through from the centipede demon and killed every single bounding demon, fought my way through to Solaire without saving or quitting in the hopes he wouldn't have moved from the bonfire after Centipede but there he was and I was left with no choice but to end his misery. It was one of the few things I Googled ahead for, but alas the only real confirmed solution involves the Chaos Servant covenant at the least. Priase the Sun!

I'm thinking about picking up Demon's Souls, but first I wanna know if the servers are still on and if any of you guys are still playing it. Thanks in advance.

10 hours in and thiis game is now right up there in my all time favorite games, alongside GT5, Red dead redemption and GTA IV.
From the level design to the boss design, this game is seriously addictive, and dying is not a pain in the a** as i firdt thought, you start to learn from your mistakes, and when you die, you are only angry at yourself, because you made a mistake.

I played demon souls before, but only as a rental, and never bought the game.
I amended that mistake by buying Dark Souls, and have not regretted it.

I am definitely going to try for platinum in this game.

Had this game for the last week or so, and im like 12 or so hours in, and I'm hooked! Love this kind of game with all the customisation and levelling and stuff. The level designs great too, all intricately linked. Couple of times I've come out of an area into a previous one and been like, "OH! it's here? Sweet.".

I like how it's not a cakewalk like most games, and you've actually gotta figure out a strategy to take down certain enemies/bosses, and if you die then adapt it and try again (or come back when you're stronger lol). The little online features are neat too, havent used them much aside from the hints. The one time I did get invaded I had no idea what was happening and then proceeded to get my arse handed to me by this red guy, and when I summoned another player, he lasted about 5 minutes charging into areas and not blocking at all before he died haha, need to try them out more when I'm more confident about it. :)

Quality game so far though!

Good to know more GTPers are enjoying such an awesome game 👍.

Currently I'm just playing alot of BF3 because I've been pondering over trying to find someone to do a themed playthrough with, namely co-op every possible section with that person for both players worlds. Specifically an Eastern themed play, but not enough people I know play the game to make it possible so I may just begin my PvP build.

I dislike the co-op in this game, sure the whole concept of summoning and invading is pretty fantastic, but being unable to join my friends game, or he not able to join mine ruins the game for me.
And the reason this is, he(or i) get summoned by someone else first, or he sometimes can't even see my summoning sign, not to mention, getting invaded during a difficult part of the game, and some guy who is a way higher level then us, comes in and ruins our co-op.

I wish they implemented a private/public way of multilayer.

I dislike the co-op in this game, sure the whole concept of summoning and invading is pretty fantastic, but being unable to join my friends game, or he not able to join mine ruins the game for me.
And the reason this is, he(or i) get summoned by someone else first, or he sometimes can't even see my summoning sign, not to mention, getting invaded during a difficult part of the game, and some guy who is a way higher level then us, comes in and ruins our co-op.

I wish they implemented a private/public way of multilayer.

There's actually a level cap on invasions, you can't be invaded by a player who's a much higher level but they can have much better gear. There's a few things you can do to get good summons though, number 1 is place your sign in a place nobody else will think to look so only your friend will find it, once you've matched once it's quite easy to rematch again and again in my experience I've been summoned 5-6 times in a row by the same guy. Invasions are an issue though, I do wish there was a more focused co-op mode but then again it would make the game to easy if you could co-op limitlessly or at least most of the game :lol:.

I see, then i must be really bad at PvP because i keep getting my ass kicked.

Anyway, we(my mate and i) tried several times last night, one just after the first set of pendulums in sens fortress, and we(both tried taking turns in human and hollow) kept getting summoned by someone else, we even put the darn thing in the most awkward spot and someone, somehow kept seeing this sign, even though we planned it over skype.

And then we tried later in the Boss cathedral of anor londo, and we couldn't see each other at all then.
To which then, I did some searching, and found out you get placed in servers based on ping and location, but we are both in australia. And also found it puts you in different servers each time you start the game.

But i thought this possibly couldn't be the problem. Then i found out you have to be within 10% of host player level to join. I am 55 he is 50.

I know they did this on purpose, but i don't understand why they haven't added an option to join with randoms, or just people from your friends list, i.e private/public option.

We have only joined once before, and tried several other times, several hours trying, without avail, it's really frustrating....but i guess the game is supposed to be like that,
Dragonistic
I do wish there was a more focused co-op mode but then again it would make the game to easy if you could co-op limitlessly or at least most of the game :lol:.
Trust me, it can't get any easier, we have spent both almost 30 hours, and we are only on Anor Londo, it can't get any easier. And i don't care if it's limited, i like how, most of the time, it's co-op within a certain area before a boss. And you can co-op with randoms all the time anyway. So does it matter if its your friend?

I agree there should be a more robust system for finding friends, but another tip is if you're not finding each other quit your game (just to the press start bit) and then both hit start at and such at the same time, this essentially rejoins another 'server'. Also, keep placing a sign down if you can't see each others, every 20 or 30 seconds I'd guess, and it's more likely to show up in the intended persons world.

PvP is hard, I haven't got the hang of it at all myself yet which is why I'm making a character specifically for it rather than tackling high level 'pro' players who know exactly what they're doing and have characters for the job. I've not got a bad record in my progress during the game as I've usually had help when I've been invaded (some people help is a very loose term :lol:). The major problem currently is a player can invade with some ridiculous gear which you don't have and can't match, there's a glitch some players used which allows you to transfer gear from a fully levelled character to a low one though often they're just players who've done a low level playthrough.

As you're in Anor Londo, when you find the Giant Blacksmith there make a lightning weapon, +4 if you can (the slab for +5 is rare and shouldn't be wasted on a poor weapon). If you're communicating with a friend via skype or something and you've summoned them, set up a trap where the red phantom will be lured to you whilst your buddy sits right around the corner waiting for an easy backstab or powerful magic. As a white phantom, I always hide in such a way. Essentially always fight on your own terms and use whatever dodgy tactics you can to win, a clever invader will not fall for tricks easily so sometimes you have to begin the fight and then your white phantom can join in when his back is turned as invaders only know about them once they've seen them or if you summon after invasion. Also if you can run to a boss gate, the invader can't follow you through so if you can go human and clear the area of NPCs offline if it's an area you've done before and then go online, make your summon as close to the boss as you can clear on your own then you have the option to just run once invaded.

I was summoned in Anor Londo myself at about level 60 a few times and had some funny moments where the invader and host were fighting then I'd just come in out of nowhere with a heavy attack and the invader had little choice but to run. One such invader started looping the huge staircases in the main hall and I was a little behind so I jumped on to the railing, dived down on to the set of stairs leading up as he ran and managed a jumping attack right on to the top of their head, phantom vanquished. My best PvP moment so far, shame it's impossible to do again as I was so lucky :lol:.

Last edited:
Those are some nifty tips right there, we tried signing in and out, and quitting, and coming back in, and even after 2 hours we had no luck, thankfully i found another good ranking player who helped me beat the fatty and Goldstein(smough and ornstein).

I did upgrade my Black Knight sword which i have got the hang of it, and i can wield it quite efficiently with two hands now, without a shield.

But i have to wiki to see what weapons i can use to modify with magic.

Also, is a divine weapon worth getting? after you're at Anor Londo and beyond.

Last edited:
To my knowledge Divine weapons aren't all that great, but there's a section in the game where they help alot and only only that section to my knowledge :lol:. There's a divine weapon you can pick up though and upgrade with twinkling titanite (which you can purchase) which I used for that section, Astoras Straight Sword to be specific which can be found in the Valley of the Drakes IIRC (google it).

To my knowledge the main upgrade paths people use is Chaos, Fire, Lightning and Normal, though there is deviation but it depends on your character more then anything else as to which upgrade paths are worth doing. At level 55, lightning is probably your best bet because you can make very powerful weapons which take you through to end game and do good damage against most enemies, more powerful then weapons which scale with stats by far until really high levels (100+ for most) and you still need to add a buff from a spell or otherwise to a normal weapon to out power lightning even then.

Lightning and Fire are fixed damage weapons, no matter how strong you get they do the same damage til you upgrade them, which is why they're so powerful as soon as you can get them. Similarly Chaos is only scaled against how much humanity you have active, up to 10, but is a more risky approach as you need 10 for Chaos to beat Fire and that's higher stakes if you die. If you like the Black Knight Sword, try to get ahold of a Claymore and then the lightning upgrade is a good path (I have a lightning Claymore +5) and it has a more useful heavy attack then the BKS.

Nice, i will look out for the claymore then. Thanks for the tips.
By far the most enjoyable RPG i have played.

Is there an easier way to get the Claymore? I just can't kill the Red Dragon for now.

It can be done, I managed it only being hit by it's foot once in my eventual NG+ kill but it requires some luck. Alternatively you can run past the beast alive, run up the stairs in the centre of the bridge to trigger his flames to kill the enemies (then run back down!), run back up again and run to the corner of the wall right behind the stairs and you'll be safe from his first blast, either side of the bridge works as long as you're in one of the corners closer to the dragon. Grab your bow, take a shot and when he flies down run, run like the wind for that gate, run along the right hand side of him and you should be able to grab the Claymore incase he kills you. Note: When you get to the gate (IF you do) he will fly away but beware he will come back if you approach the bridge from the side you do the first time, but not when you come from the gate you just got to.

About the claymore, it is actually fairly easy, once you hit that wall, wait until the dragon jumps down, run past him, pick up the sword, and sprint for the gate.

i did some snooping, and saw how much greater damage it does with electircity upgrade, but even more so it the Zweihander, but its a lot slower. I actually think i'm going to improve the zweihander.

Also looking up on the wiki, and saw the Great Sword of Atorias, and apparently damage scales with your attributes. I made one today, and they weren't kidding, you need to be a higher level to get the most out of it, because it does less damage than my BK greatsword.

I guess i'm going to have to farm a bit(roughly around an hour) to get some souls, so i can improve the zweihander, but the claymore is faster...hmm

Also, the shield that upgrades with the soul of the butterfly boss(i can never remember these names), is pretty useless, so i'm getting my knight shield back, but it has some great magic defense, so it might come in handy, during the Crystal Archive adventure.

Last edited:
I have lightning zweihander and claymore, both have there positives and negatives, the Zwei is just to slow for my liking and I find myself taking swings and getting hit mid swing because it's so slow, but it's also extremely long which means you don't need to be so close. Risk and reward I guess, in terms of pure damage per second I don't know which is better, but the Zwei sure does hit hard and can break blocks fairly easily.

Well, i was doing some farming yesterday near the second bonfire in Anor Londo, and i was curious of the room to the left past the stairwell, as there was nothing there. Then i saw a message come up, path ahead. This was at the foot of the fireplace, so i rolled and went straight through it, to my surprise i found Havel's armor plus his dragon tooth he used as a weapon.

What i love about this game, is that it is a puzzle in itself, and has all these cool little hidden places, And that the whole game is all connected, and the satisfaction you get from finding a shortcut back to bonfire, past all the enemies you just spent an hour going past.

Not to mention the excitement, fear and stress you encounter going to new places, i have never experienced anything like this in a game before. 20 hours in, and dying isn't a problem for me anymore, it just doesn't bother me.

Urgh!! Got my ass kicked by Seath the Scaleless today, twice, and i got cursed. I need something to protect me from the curses, gong to try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Dark Souls Facebook page
23wlniu.jpg

Thread dig up time 👍.

Started playing Dark Souls again today taking the daunting task of Four Kings on NG+ being my next step in the game and my last milestone before starting once again on a semi-PvP build which I'm still very unsure about, one things for sure the Four Kings are finished with some help from a random fellow sun bro. I think it will end up being a half ninja half sorcerer dex/int build at the moment, I have a mainly dex build now but enough strength to sample heavy weapons and they don't suit me at all despite the temptation to just make a strength tank. Problem is I'm still drawn to faith over int, I mean you can throw lightning damnit! Amongst other useful abilities which I think are suited towards PvP. On that basis I might simply re-do my current character with a stronger focus in Faith and Dex with no points wasted on other bits.

I've also decided I might focus more on helping other instead of being an invader, it's just not my style to invade as I am a man of honour when it comes to Dark Souls I feel more satisfied in helping those in need rather than attacking others in their struggles in Lordran.

I'll be very sad if they don't put it in the consoles via DLC.

This, I've really got back in to Dark Souls now after a hiatus from it and I would be very upset if they didn't release the content for the consoles and I'm prepared to pay good money for it as well. I have confidence that From Software will not leave us out, they seem to do things right most of the time and seem in touch with their audience.

Dark Souls 'Artorias of the Abyss' DLC Coming to PS3 and Xbox 360 this Winter

Namco Bandai has announced that the new content included in the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die PC version of From Software's dark fantasy role-playing game will also be released for consoles. Sometime this winter in North America, the Artorias of the Abyss expansion content will be sold through Xbox Live for 1200 Microsoft Points and PlayStation Network for 14.99 USD.

Artorias of the Abyss adds more explorable areas, bosses and standard enemy types, non-player characters, armor and weapons into From Software's notoriously difficult experience.

Back