Dark souls

Brazil
Aracaju/Sergipe/Brazil
leonardo887
Wanting to know if someone else here plays this game. I think it's the best game I've ever played, a pretty work from Bandai. Yeah, I know that people here are more interested in racing games, but we have to pick up different things sometimes. So, if you have Dark Souls, post here.

I played DS to death. I even platinumed it. One of the best games I have ever played in my life.

If I had more time I'd definitely have it by now. Some day...

Coxis
I played DS to death. I even platinumed it. One of the best games I have ever played in my life.

If I had more time I'd definitely have it by now. Some day...

Do you play on the weekends? Because I have a very restricted time too. Add me if you want.

Oh crap. They share the same initials. :dunce:

Sorry, I meant to say Demons Souls. I played that game to death and I've heard nothing but good things about Dark Souls.

I didn't get Dark Souls. :(

I have Dark Souls and I'm rocking it hard right now. For sure my GOTY for 2011. I've put in about 30 hours past couple weeks progressing story and leveling up. I'm SL 76 as I've spent quite a bit of time co-oping on Anor Lindo and leveling up my stats. Tonight I will be going to the Catacombs and try my luck down there.

What Soul Level are you? Send a friend request if you like. PSN mcfizzle

And it's actually made by From Software, just published by Namco Bandai. If you haven't checked out Demon Souls you have to, some would argue it's better than Dark Souls.

Last edited:
mcfizzle
I have Dark Souls and I'm rocking it hard right now. For sure my GOY for 2011. I've put in about 30 hours past couple weeks progressing story and leveling up. I'm SL 76 as I've spent quite a bit of time co-oping on Anor Lindo and leveling up my stats. Tonight I will be going to the Catacombs and try my luck down there.

What Soul Level are you? Send a friend request if you like. PSN mcfizzle

And it's actually made by From Software, just published by Namco Bandai. If you haven't checked out Demon Souls you have to, some would argue it's better than Dark Souls.

Sure. Will send a friend request today, but I only play on weekends, sorry. Do you think it's good for me to try Demon Souls, I mean, online features?

I have been playing Dark Souls on PS3 for the past couple of weekends and so far i'm really enjoying the game. I'm currently SL 75 and i just beat Ornstein and Smough which wasn't a very hard fight thanks to Sunbro Solaire. :)

trangurismo
I have been playing Dark Souls on PS3 for the past couple of weekends and so far i'm really enjoying the game. I'm currently SL 75 and i just beat Ornstein and Smough which wasn't a very hard fight thanks to Sunbro Solaire. :)

Would you mind if I add you to PSN?

leonardo887
Sure. Will send a friend request today, but I only play on weekends, sorry. Do you think it's good for me to try Demon Souls, I mean, online features?

As far as I know the servers have been shut down so no online features anymore. It's worth it for the level design and atmosphere in my opinion.

I am still loving Dark Souls to, I'm at SL90 first playthrough right now, heading down through the Demon Ruins towards Lost Izalith I believe, leaving me with The Catacombs and beyond for my last lord soul before going for the big man Gwyn.

Definitely my game of the year, my only complaint is how difficult it is to co-op with a friend (I wish you could summon a friend for extended co-op, not just to an area boss, it'd be awesome if you could co-op almost the entire game). At the same time the limited co-op has a more 'realistic' feel if you will, where you feel independent yet you know someone on the other side of the world could summon you for help or vice versa and there's a very humble feeling about the way people work together with people they'll never see again and similarly the way in which others work against.

I planned to go to the catacombs last night and instead I co-oped in the painting world and Anor Londo until 2 in the morning. The only problem can be waiting for someone to summon and for some reason I kept getting sent back to my world. I also had a summoner die on Smough when he had about 2 hits remaining.:ouch: Good fun though.

Best place to Co-op is Darkroot Garden when you are from SL 50 to 55, because people summon you to fight against the dark spirits. I won at least 800000 souls in 5 hours. Will do another character later, think I'll never stop to play this game.

As far as I know the servers have been shut down so no online features anymore. It's worth it for the level design and atmosphere in my opinion.

Last time I played Demon's about a month ago it was still online, you could still see other player's ghosts and messages still came up. Obviously though the community on there is probably tiny now so you'll be lucky to come across the full experience of reading messages etc.

As for PVP though, that is basically dead, for whatever reason. Mind you it could be that I had an awkward SL when trying - SL 49.

Still haven't completed Demon's (obviously), stuck on Maneater, the pigs. :grumpy:

Eventually I'll beat it though and probably get Dark Souls. They're great games for those people who are patient and willing to be challenged by a game. Though really it's not as tough as some people make it out to be.

Best place to Co-op is Darkroot Garden when you are from SL 50 to 55, because people summon you to fight against the dark spirits. I won at least 800000 souls in 5 hours. Will do another character later, think I'll never stop to play this game.

I did quite a bit of soul farming there but now I like Anor Londo, you can receive a lot of souls from start to boss and usually at least one person invades making it 3v1 and sometimes those people have a decent amount. I don't really know to much about it though since I didn't start co-oping until this week. I didn't realize how much fun it is and when summoned that you don't lose your souls when you died. I also thought you have to be human to be summoned. I figured it out though.

Edit: What soul level are you eNJS? Maybe if we are close I could jump on and help you. I may have been in the hundreds IIRC.

Last edited:
Currently getting my ass kicked by this thing. It's a freaking enormous maze, I never know where the hell I'm supposed to go. Demon Souls at least had the decency to organize everything into separate portals and all.

Dravonic
Currently getting my ass kicked by this thing. It's a freaking enormous maze, I never know where the hell I'm supposed to go. Demon Souls at least had the decency to organize everything into separate portals and all.

Try looking at Dark Souls Wikispaces. It has everything you wanna know about the game. Just don't look at everything!

Yup, I use the IGN Dark Souls wiki for general ideas of where to go next and help if I'm really struggling with a level. Just try not to rely on it for everything.

The Darkwraiths in lower New Londo are a great source of chunks and have a very rare slab drop as well, I was fortunate enough to land 1 slab from them as well as a second slab from the Stray Demon so I could make +5 lightning Claymore and Uchigatana and just made a +10 Fire Iaito to go with them as well 👍.

Grab the Gold Serpent Ring (or whatever it's called) from Sens Fortress and then farm the Darkwraiths who can all be quite easily pulled 1 on 1 and backstabbed. If you get to the bonfire between Valley of the Drakes and Darkroot Basin, which is guarded closeby by a black knight, you can run past the drakes in to New Londo by going down a nearby lift once the water is lowered and farm up until you reach the church which will pull some annoying ghosts which aren't worth wasting a transient curse on until you're going for the boss so just Homeward back to the bonfire with bone or spell and re-run. The drakes are dangerous if they catch you as there's alot of them so speed is key but with practice you'll run through no problem, the Darkwraiths themselves are quite powerful but have a few attacks which leave them set up for a backstab easily. If in doubt, look it up on Youtube I'm sure someone will have a video.

Thanks for the tip Dragonistic.

Do you guys mind if I add you to my PSN? It will be good to play Dark Souls with someone I already know.

MindlessRiff
Planning on picking up this game sometime soon. How many of you guys would recommend it? And whats the multiplayer like on it?

I would highly recommend it. If you like God of War style, mixed with RPG gameplay and online features, this is a game for you. Talking about the multiplayer, take a look at Dark Souls Wikispaces for you to learn more about the online part of the game. Sorry, it's a little complicated to explain to you here, so it's better for you to see it by yourself ;)

I'm hoping to see you playing DS soon!

The multiplayer is certainly complicated compared to what we're used to but has some really clever and nice touchs. It's not the kind of game you play with friends, though you can it requires organisation and a knowledge of the games mechanics as for example I managed to find someone online via Dark Souls Wiki chatrooms who would trade me a katana I was after which took me 2 days to find someone compatible, but in terms of general gameplay there's a sort of parallel worlds feel with other players but you can cross over to either help or hinder other people in their own 'worlds'.

Here's a list of things I think are worth being aware of:
- This game requires patience, it's difficult but by no means impossible and almost always fair when you really think about how things went wrong. Never rush unless you know the area really well. You can regain Souls (currency/XP) and Humanity (important item) by finding where you died.
- Observe, plan, execute. Knowledge is power, learn what different attacks an enemy can do and what the animation looks like so you can see it coming. Some enemies potentially met early may not be designed to be killed early, but most enemies can be beat with simple tactics by just learning how to avoid damage and when to best attack.
- Don't be alarmed if you don't understand the story and your aims, you'll get lost quite alot and die quite alot but that's what is expected, there is no map so sometimes it is trial and error until you are going in the right direction. This game is complex, but is designed to 'play as your own character' so you fill in alot of the gaps either by researching item descriptions or simply your own theory.
- Plan your character, put stats in to those which are important to the way you want to play. A jack of all trades is not recommended at all, at 90 hours there's some stats I've never levelled, choose wisely.
- Humanity is an item you acquire along the way, find out what it does before using it as once used it may be difficult to re-acquire if lost. It has a number of uses and you do not want to waste it, especially early on.
- This game requires alot of time to get the real rewards from it and see and do everything.

If in doubt, don't be afraid to consult help. There's so much to learn and it can be very daunting but there's a great community following this game and their knowledge can be incredibly helpful. I'd like to think now as I sit at the final chapter in my first playthrough, and done a worrying amount of research to back up my rather slow and steady 90hr playthrough, I've learnt so much about the game and can probably answer most key questions new players have so if someone here on GTP does have a question I can probably give a fairly good answer.

Dragonistic
The multiplayer is certainly complicated compared to what we're used to but has some really clever and nice touchs. It's not the kind of game you play with friends, though you can it requires organisation and a knowledge of the games mechanics as for example I managed to find someone online via Dark Souls Wiki chatrooms who would trade me a katana I was after which took me 2 days to find someone compatible, but in terms of general gameplay there's a sort of parallel worlds feel with other players but you can cross over to either help or hinder other people in their own 'worlds'.

Here's a list of things I think are worth being aware of:
- This game requires patience, it's difficult but by no means impossible and almost always fair when you really think about how things went wrong. Never rush unless you know the area really well. You can regain Souls (currency/XP) and Humanity (important item) by finding where you died.
- Observe, plan, execute. Knowledge is power, learn what different attacks an enemy can do and what the animation looks like so you can see it coming. Some enemies potentially met early may not be designed to be killed early, but most enemies can be beat with simple tactics by just learning how to avoid damage and when to best attack.
- Don't be alarmed if you don't understand the story and your aims, you'll get lost quite alot and die quite alot but that's what is expected, there is no map so sometimes it is trial and error until you are going in the right direction. This game is complex, but is designed to 'play as your own character' so you fill in alot of the gaps either by researching item descriptions or simply your own theory.
- Plan your character, put stats in to those which are important to the way you want to play. A jack of all trades is not recommended at all, at 90 hours there's some stats I've never levelled, choose wisely.
- Humanity is an item you acquire along the way, find out what it does before using it as once used it may be difficult to re-acquire if lost. It has a number of uses and you do not want to waste it, especially early on.
- This game requires alot of time to get the real rewards from it and see and do everything.

If in doubt, don't be afraid to consult help. There's so much to learn and it can be very daunting but there's a great community following this game and their knowledge can be incredibly helpful. I'd like to think now as I sit at the final chapter in my first playthrough, and done a worrying amount of research to back up my rather slow and steady 90hr playthrough, I've learnt so much about the game and can probably answer most key questions new players have so if someone here on GTP does have a question I can probably give a fairly good answer.

Great comment, man! Seems like you are a real veteran. Will you play with another character after this one?

Thanks for the in depth responses! :) looks like a game I should enjoy then, I'll post again when I get it, probably asking questions on how not to die haha...

Great comment, man! Seems like you are a real veteran. Will you play with another character after this one?

I certainly plan to make another character yes, I want to make a more pure build focusing towards PvP. I plan to keep Ezekiel (current) and go through some NG+ as well, whom I made a couple of levelling mistakes for max PvP potential, with the new character I want to rectify those mistakes and go for a strong dexterity/faith build or maybe a high health build and use lightning or fire weapons (which don't scale with stats).

Essentially I'm not sure if I want to be able to use miracles with pretty good damage or have a pure melee build, I don't particularly like magic/miracles/pyromancy so it should be a relative no brainer but I also know how powerful miracles can be. In the end I'll probably go for a high health, dexterity, and endurance build and (in my mind) be an ultimate ninja using a katana primarily.

Dragonistic
I certainly plan to make another character yes, I want to make a more pure build focusing towards PvP. I plan to keep Ezekiel (current) and go through some NG+ as well, whom I made a couple of levelling mistakes for max PvP potential, with the new character I want to rectify those mistakes and go for a strong dexterity/faith build or maybe a high health build and use lightning or fire weapons (which don't scale with stats).

Essentially I'm not sure if I want to be able to use miracles with pretty good damage or have a pure melee build, I don't particularly like magic/miracles/pyromancy so it should be a relative no brainer but I also know how powerful miracles can be. In the end I'll probably go for a high health, dexterity, and endurance build and (in my mind) be an ultimate ninja using a katana primarily.

Which katana do you think it's better? I'm planing to stop using strong weapons because of the slow moves and high strength requirements. So I need to be sure about my next choice of weapon. I'm still using a Drake Sword with my Radek (recently made) at SL 20.

I finally beat the game last night. Such an awesome experience, just like Demon Souls. It took 71 hours and I was SL 101. After the credits roll it takes you straight to NG+ so I started that and reached the Undead Burg. I'm going to try and keep playing but I also need to finish Skyrim. Good luck to everyone still playing the story.

Which katana do you think it's better? I'm planing to stop using strong weapons because of the slow moves and high strength requirements. So I need to be sure about my next choice of weapon. I'm still using a Drake Sword with my Radek (recently made) at SL 20.

So far I have a Lightning+4 Washing Pole, Lightning+5 and Chaos +4 Uchigatana, Normal+15 and Fire+10 Iaito in my collection of katanas. In terms of sheer power they're all fairly similar and there's no real dominant one. The Uchigatana is the easiest to use stats wise and can be found early on potentially though most likely not, the Iaito has a slightly different R2 attack which is more useful for PvP and awesomeness with higher Dex requirement leaving the Washing Pole with sheer size as it's advantage at the cost of a higher Str requirement and is slightly slower I think.

Missing from my collection however is a Chaos Blade (boss soul weapon), I plan to get one asap though in my NG+.

My pick? My +10 Fire Iaito is my personal favourite, only beating out the Uchi because of the different R2 attacks both 1 and 2 handed and the blades design appeals to me more and style is the main reason for most of my weapon choices. The Uchigatana in practical terms is just as effective though, the Washing Pole is just to huge for my tastes and looks a bit silly to me.

Another excellent weapon type for Dex characters is spears, in PvE the ability to block and attack with good reach is extremely useful, I'm personally using a +9 Fire Winged Spear, which allows you to safely chip away at enemies damage with ease. Though spears don't deal heavy damage, attacking from behind the shield has obvious advantages which means slow but safe kills and they attack straight which is good for narrow areas. The jumping forward attacks for spears are also pretty epic.

Tip: Jumping attacks can't be parried to my knowledge, execute in the same way as a kick but with R2 instead of R1. They can be blocked, but some enemies (Balder knights with thrusting swords for example) go in to parry mode and just stand there and wait for you to attack, this wipes the smug undead smirk from their face.

I finally beat the game last night. Such an awesome experience, just like Demon Souls. It took 71 hours and I was SL 101. After the credits roll it takes you straight to NG+ so I started that and reached the Undead Burg. I'm going to try and keep playing but I also need to finish Skyrim. Good luck to everyone still playing the story.

I'm at almost 100 hours and last night I decided today I would finally take on Gwyn for the first time, but I have so much gear and such in preparation for PvP and NG+. I'm going in to this fight completely blind, I want to dual him using only my trusty Iaito unless I absolutely must use my spear instead.

Targets for my Gwyn kill:
- Try to win first time, most bosses I've taken first time with only the 4 kings in recent memory who I had down to another slash but wasn't watching my health closely enough.
- Defeat him whilst not hollowed assuming I fail on first attempt I must reverse hollowing again. (50 humanity + 6 twin humanity means I have 62 attempts :lol:)
- Use Thief armor set even though Elite Knight armor would have absolutely no negative affects with much greater protection on my build.
- Use 1 weapon only.
- Throw in a taunt mid fight.
- Finish him Mortal Combat style, preferably with a parry and riposte if possible.

NG to NG+ Tip: Make sure you acquire 1 of each Titanite Slab before progressing in to each NG+, red, white, blue and normal. There is only 1 guaranteed place in each playthrough for each, the chances of a 2nd are slim to none and for trophies and experimentation each slab is priceless.

Sorry for the long posts, currently have no home internet so rather say too much than not enough.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back