Davis's Cars - I bought a Honda with a stupid wing

• Thread starter Davis
  • 299 comments
Seems like the typical problems with these cars (except for the key breaking:lol:).Mine ran perfect the day i got it then things happened.The oil burning under full throttle is probably because of the air oil separator seals.

What a nice looking 944.

The key thing sounds like it could in cost thinking way, be a good thing, as it sounds like it could have snapped at nearly any point, and if it did in some other lock, you may haven't been able to get the other end out of the lock, which could have ended up with you needing a new lock set for the car. Anyway, I assume you ordered a spare key, so that if this'll happen again, it won't cause you a break from driving it.

Yeah, I'm getting a basic key made for it tomorrow and will be ordering two spare blanks for it that I'll get cut ASAP. I wasn't looking at the lock, so when I thought I was turning the lock I was actually twisting the poor old key.

But it's for the better, the original key was completely worn down and I needed to get a spare made anyways.

Congrats on the new car bud. Shame about all the issues but hopefully you'll be able to do what you want to do with it soon. :)

20150921_121205.jpg

The key guy said the original lock was basically stripped out, so he did the best he could, and at this point I'm sure a screwdriver would turn the ignition.

But now I have this normal key and two official 944 blanks on order. 👍

21020158793_92053d78e8_h.jpg

I put the car on a lift tonight, and discovered that the major oil leak is from the previous owner's ineptitude when it comes to changing oil. He forgot to put a washer around the drain plug, so oil keeps dripping from it. The other leak is from inside the timing case, which is good because i'll already be taking that off to do the belt on it pretty soon.

21018502874_eaba347d97_h.jpg

The gearbox is pretty noisy so while it was on the lift some fluid got added to it and it's a little less annoying.

21454360299_cc5cccc432_h.jpg

21018513964_a305530ccc_b.jpg

Congrats on the 944. I got to drive one that belonged to my friend a few years back. These are slow, but fun cars.

My dad used to own a 944 Turbo, with a ECU tune on it back before i was born, he still has the original manuals. He told me he quite regrets selling it.

Looks clean!

21745294076_c815c93911_h.jpg

So now that I've had the Porsche I've kept the Mini as a pristine garage queen. The car is finally how I've envisioned it after owning it for over two years. It's low, loud, and carves canyons like an Elise. I haven't taken any pictures of it since it's been lowered, so I stole @Doog's pic. It's 1.3" lower than factory on M7 progressive springs. They ride softly enough for the daily commute but firm up nicely in the corners.

If you haven't already read @Doog's post, I'll give a brief summary. We met up last weekend and spent 2 days hauling ass through Utah's best roads. In the process, the power steering went out, so I'll get that addressed next week. Mini has put out an extended warranty on the part for 13 years / 130,000 miles, so I'm not too worried about it.

21742375956_3c708cc973_h.jpg

21147461813_a62a0e6877_h.jpg

21147469543_2306b31f4d_h.jpg

As far as the 944 goes, the OEM key blanks arrived friday and I'm getting them cut tomorrow. 👍

Well a lot has happened with the 944 since I last posted here.

The engine dumped coolant and oil onto the ground when I went to start it up about 3 months ago. Figured it was a headgasket issue, so I pulled the head off with the help of my mechanic friend.

tumblr_nwwzia9nDZ1ukpdq9o1_400.jpg

Not good. So $1000-something later I have all of the necessary gaskets to re-do the head, fix the oil leaks, timing belt, water pump, valve guides, etc. Add in a few hours of polishing and painting the cam tower, and this is where I'm at now:

tumblr_nzbbprHoUx1ukpdq9o1_1280.jpg

Looks good, should be together by February and running better than ever. I dug the car out of it's snowy casket, and tomorrow I'll be tearing out the old fuel lines to get them redone. They're cracked and leaking onto the intake manifold.

tumblr_nzd7e0R87k1ukpdq9o1_540.jpg

The best part: I found a complete set of 16inch, et22, 5x108 Hayashi Racing Techno Rs. They'll be a close fit with the adapters, but I'm hopeful.

PUHzlo5.jpg

s5VVLoG.jpg

Last edited:
tumblr_nwwzia9nDZ1ukpdq9o1_400.jpg

Not good. So $1000-something later I have all of the necessary gaskets to re-do the head, fix the oil leaks, timing belt, water pump, valve guides, etc.

Well that must have been fun.

(Last two pics of the Techno Rs are broken, by the way.)

5x108? Those'll fit Bruiser, y'know... think they'd look pretty good on a Mondeo...

5x108 is the stupidest bolt pattern on the market...and I've now owned two different cars with it. Never again will I buy a car that takes those size wheel...at least until I give in and buy another Volvo (which almost all Ford era Volvos have).

Those wheels are going to look awesome though.

Found these Sparco Milanos on a local facebook sales page. $1200. Not sure which car to put them in yet.

23727230599_a4a8ceb8a2_b.jpg

(pic of myself, obviously)

I've been lusting after these seats for over a year now, but never pulled the trigger because of their price. Figured that it had to be fate, finding them on facebook. So I bought them!

Reclinable back would be best in the Mini, if that's your everyday car. 944 needs fixed back seats.
I have a fixed back OMP seat that I used back when I was serious about GT5, it killed my back. Not sure if I can force myself into that again. lol

I can't decide which car to put the seats in though. They make more sense in the MINI but the 944 would benefit more from new seats. I love the seats in the 944 right now though, they're comfortable but a little worn out and ugly. The MINI's seats are special to the option package, trimmed in red and I like the look of them.

19223630644_a9ab92218b_h.jpg

I finally have all of the parts I need for the 944, right on track for my goal of getting it running by February. Hoping to spend the weekend of the 23rd with my mechanic friend and we'll power through the re-assembly. With college starting up again next week and a trip planned for the week after I won't have much time to spend on the 944 for the next couple of weeks, so I took a few hours off of work today to do this:

Before:
23596061273_8ec72e22c5_b.jpg

24140308791_45004dc396_b.jpg

After:
23855050959_0d9c79940e_h.jpg

Degreased and clayed the car as well, going to push it into a garage where it'll hibernate until the rebuild starts!

so excited

Back