DD and friends: new video! Drifting, for real.

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 5: Prologue' started by Suzuki, Mar 27, 2008.

1. dorykiiing

dorykiiing

Absolutely right!! +1 Suzuki

Suzuki can i ask you something offtopic(sorry).
    How did you captured the replay?With videocam or in computer as we did in GT4?

2. Suzuki

Suzuki

Capture card is what I used. I don't own a video camera so thats not even an option for me. Quality sucks because of youtube and my editing software jumps from 3mbps to 512kbs so theres not much I could do about that.

3. STJ88

STJ88

Me to, and its got power!

4. Delphic Reason

Delphic Reason Staff Emeritus

Absolutely!:tup:

;)

5. deadlyz33

deadlyz33

Funny the member should say computers can't rate drifts. Actually they are pushing to use computers to make scores more uniform in the d1. They want to use topography and stuff to measure angle, speed, how close to the clipping point you are, etc.

Computers can measure angles etc much better than a human can. The only point you made about computers not judging style properly is because if you connect corners or have a long entrance you don't get extra points. That doesn't mean the computer cant be programmed to tell if you had a long entrance/fast entrance speed or that it can't give you extra points for combinations. It just merely needs to be tuned better.

6. Delphic Reason

He's not arguing the validity of the points system as a way to score drifting technically. He (and I) is saying such a system is not a valid way of discerning a good drift, from a great drift. In the end, we all have our own idea of what makes a certain drifting style (entrance point, speed, technique, etc...) entertaining. Drifting is a subjective sport. Thus, it is judged subjectively, like Ice skating, with multiple judges. This is something a computer cannot truly simulate.

;)

7. Suzuki

Suzuki

Yes, there are things that can be used to measure drift angle, speed, gear and more, but it cannot fully judge a drift by itself to the point where I would agree with it. There is a thing called a Drift Box that is used in D1GP that shows angle, speed, gear, etc. But it is only used as a judging aid. It does not fully judge a run.

Exactly...
    Nice to see you around DR, will you be getting prologue?

8. Delphic Reason

Nice to be back, Suzuki. :tup:

Prologue is preordered.

Logitech G25 coming April 15th.

Obutto Ozone racing cockpit coming shortly after.

;)

9. cjmodiano

cjmodiano

does going into drifting mode change the physics of the car at all? i'm talking about while using a wheel.

10. doublehelix

doublehelix

that is amazing, that is my dream!

I'm new to GT games and a noob to racing games... just a few questions if I may
    1) I'm using a sixaxis controller is it possible to drift and race as well or a steering wheel eg.G25 etc is essential?

2) I even have problem turning corners, what is the general rule for that?
    Brake - gear down - turn - speed up or which sequence?
    Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

11. driverx

driverx

post more videos dudes especially with the blitz or rx7 real drift cars there:sly:

12. Suzuki

Suzuki

I dont use the drift mode, so I wouldnt know.

A wheel is not needed to be able to drift good, it just takes practice like anything else.
    Go watch the Drift Bible and you will learn a few things.

I will sooner or later. I already have the Blitz, buying the rx7 now.

13. benniz

benniz

If I'm not wrong (Haven't checked since I got quick tuning), aren't the tyres locked to S2 on time trial? Or can you define the tyres you want?

If so, that's great, as I find it a little short just drifting a certain length of a track, when I can do the whole and as many laps as I wish:)

14. Suzuki

Suzuki

The video was made before the update.

15. benniz

benniz

So the tires are locked to S2 on time trial?

16. Suzuki

Suzuki

I made the video before the update, so the tires are N2 on most. Now yes, the tires are locked to S2 on time trials.

17. deadlyz33

deadlyz33

I want to see some blitz drift action.

18. Megasoft Office

Megasoft Office

Showing some NA1 NSX love :)

19. deadlyz33

deadlyz33

Hey Megasoft I have to disagree with your tuning quote in your signature. I consider myself a tuner, I am putting a single turbo in my 350z, and will be slamming the suspension as soon as I get it set up. I am intentionally making this car not worthy of daily driving. With my aggressive LSD, single turbo, wide open exhaust, and lightweight flywheel it will be far from gas efficient. It will be so low I cannot get into any gas station anywhere close to my home or over any sort of speedbump. The rims I have on it are volk gts with an annodized and clearcoated lip which I would not think of running on the winter time or during a rainy day. Am I not a tuner?

20. doublehelix

doublehelix

^ Thanks... does anyone have the link to the 'drift bible'? I have tried searching without much luck, came across an inactive link.

Cheers

21. Suzuki

Suzuki

22. doublehelix

doublehelix

Thanks, so we are using a real life video to learn GT5 which is simply amazing....

Downside now I'm in office :grumpy:

23. DriifterX

DriifterX

You can watch all of Drift Bible on youtube, one user has it split into 5 separate videos.

Im loving having drift mode back, but I still dont think its very realistic regarding how you get points... In the 350z on Fuji F I got the record drift score by short shifting into 3rd and basically cruising around the bends at idle rpms (well relative to RL drift). And I still dont fully understand the scoring system, I find myself on the rev limit at opposite lock sometimes and im not getting points for it... Any help here?

OH, and how amazing is the Blitz R34!!?? Loose as loose can be, yet can still be driven for grip racing if you choose. And what about the sound!? Wastegate ye ya!!! I cant stop driving this thing

24. deadlyz33

deadlyz33

Everyones making me want to drive the blitz a lot, it will probably be my first turned car I buy.

25. Valve Timing

Valve Timing

looking good ty.. ill have to post some **** when i get a ps 3 or ill just post my footage from my first real drift event on sunday

26. Suzuki

Suzuki

Working on editing some online footage at the moment, look out for it in the next week or so.

27. speedthrill

speedthrill

You know, if you do your best to get in the top ten, you don't need to post your movie

it's been recorded and on the list near yr name and yr time or in this case, yr points;)

Daytona road circuit and the M3 coupé, 135i tii, GT-R 07, all in the top ten ;)
    I love GTP :)

So if you wanna watch mine, go check the rankings online on yr game instead off sitting here reading this!

28. Ian - AE86

Ian - AE86

Just wondering what button use for the wand in GT5:p when used with the G25?
    Do you use the Paddle shift for gears and assign the gearstick to sequential and use this as the wand while drifting? Pull as an upshift for a mimic hydraulic handbrake seems the best solution unless someone else has a better option i am un aware of?

29. Ian - AE86

Ian - AE86

Potentially the best comment i have read regarding drifting on a computer game like GT5. The same goes for when they tried to regulate the "drift box" in all our competition drift cars for the UK series two years ago.....the main judges said no matter what feedback a drift box can give the human eye is a better judge any day ofthe week. :tup:

30. Suzuki

Suzuki

My point exactly.
    Read the above comment.
    Also, what does time have to do with drifting? Oh thats right, nothing.
    I dont see anything from you in the top 10 speed, but mixing tires is not what i would call being on the top. Are you consistant enough to drift online with others live? Do you know what tandeming is? Can you do it good?

Sorry but I dont understand your question fully. I use the DFP, not the G25. But I use the "wand" for the shifter. The paddles go unused.