DD and friends: new video! Drifting, for real.

• Thread starter Suzuki
  • 135 comments
I have never liked the "Drift Mode" ever since I heard of it. I have said it before, but I will say it again. A computer cannot judge drifting like a real human judge can. The game will judge it on what it thinks "looks" the best, but it cannot judge style. There is a big difference in just coming up to a turn, slowing way down and initiating a drift and just going all out, super early entries, manjiing, line, speed, angle, transitions, and just "hitting" the corner the way it was ment to be done. I will just stick to drifting on time trials or online with my team.

Absolutely right!! +1 Suzuki

Suzuki can i ask you something offtopic(sorry).
How did you captured the replay?With videocam or in computer as we did in GT4?

Absolutely right!! +1 Suzuki

Suzuki can i ask you something offtopic(sorry).
How did you captured the replay?With videocam or in computer as we did in GT4?

Capture card is what I used. I don't own a video camera so thats not even an option for me. Quality sucks because of youtube and my editing software jumps from 3mbps to 512kbs so theres not much I could do about that.

I have never liked the "Drift Mode" ever since I heard of it. I have said it before, but I will say it again. A computer cannot judge drifting like a real human judge can. The game will judge it on what it thinks "looks" the best, but it cannot judge style. There is a big difference in just coming up to a turn, slowing way down and initiating a drift and just going all out, super early entries, manjiing, line, speed, angle, transitions, and just "hitting" the corner the way it was ment to be done. I will just stick to drifting on time trials or online with my team.

Absolutely!👍

;)

Funny the member should say computers can't rate drifts. Actually they are pushing to use computers to make scores more uniform in the d1. They want to use topography and stuff to measure angle, speed, how close to the clipping point you are, etc.

Computers can measure angles etc much better than a human can. The only point you made about computers not judging style properly is because if you connect corners or have a long entrance you don't get extra points. That doesn't mean the computer cant be programmed to tell if you had a long entrance/fast entrance speed or that it can't give you extra points for combinations. It just merely needs to be tuned better.

Funny the member should say computers can't rate drifts. Actually they are pushing to use computers to make scores more uniform in the d1. They want to use topography and stuff to measure angle, speed, how close to the clipping point you are, etc.

Computers can measure angles etc much better than a human can. The only point you made about computers not judging style properly is because if you connect corners or have a long entrance you don't get extra points. That doesn't mean the computer cant be programmed to tell if you had a long entrance/fast entrance speed or that it can't give you extra points for combinations. It just merely needs to be tuned better.

He's not arguing the validity of the points system as a way to score drifting technically. He (and I) is saying such a system is not a valid way of discerning a good drift, from a great drift. In the end, we all have our own idea of what makes a certain drifting style (entrance point, speed, technique, etc...) entertaining. Drifting is a subjective sport. Thus, it is judged subjectively, like Ice skating, with multiple judges. This is something a computer cannot truly simulate.

;)

Yes, there are things that can be used to measure drift angle, speed, gear and more, but it cannot fully judge a drift by itself to the point where I would agree with it. There is a thing called a Drift Box that is used in D1GP that shows angle, speed, gear, etc. But it is only used as a judging aid. It does not fully judge a run.

He's not arguing the validity of the points system as a way to score drifting technically. He (and I) is saying such a system is not a valid way of discerning a good drift, from a great drift. In the end, we all have our own idea of what makes a certain drifting style (entrance point, speed, technique, etc...) entertaining. Drifting is a subjective sport. Thus, it is judged subjectively, like Ice skating, with multiple judges. This is something a computer cannot truly simulate.

;)
Exactly...
Nice to see you around DR, will you be getting prologue?

Exactly...
Nice to see you around DR, will you be getting prologue?

Nice to be back, Suzuki. 👍

Prologue is preordered.

Logitech G25 coming April 15th.

Obutto Ozone racing cockpit coming shortly after.

;)

that is amazing, that is my dream!

I'm new to GT games and a noob to racing games... just a few questions if I may
1) I'm using a sixaxis controller is it possible to drift and race as well or a steering wheel eg.G25 etc is essential?

2) I even have problem turning corners, what is the general rule for that?
Brake - gear down - turn - speed up or which sequence?
Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

does going into drifting mode change the physics of the car at all? i'm talking about while using a wheel.
I dont use the drift mode, so I wouldnt know.

that is amazing, that is my dream!

I'm new to GT games and a noob to racing games... just a few questions if I may
1) I'm using a sixaxis controller is it possible to drift and race as well or a steering wheel eg.G25 etc is essential?

2) I even have problem turning corners, what is the general rule for that?
Brake - gear down - turn - speed up or which sequence?
Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!
A wheel is not needed to be able to drift good, it just takes practice like anything else.
Go watch the Drift Bible and you will learn a few things.

post more videos dudes especially with the blitz or rx7 real drift cars there:sly:
I will sooner or later. I already have the Blitz, buying the rx7 now.

If I'm not wrong (Haven't checked since I got quick tuning), aren't the tyres locked to S2 on time trial? Or can you define the tyres you want?

If so, that's great, as I find it a little short just drifting a certain length of a track, when I can do the whole and as many laps as I wish:)

I made the video before the update, so the tires are N2 on most. Now yes, the tires are locked to S2 on time trials.

Showing some NA1 NSX love :)

Hey Megasoft I have to disagree with your tuning quote in your signature. I consider myself a tuner, I am putting a single turbo in my 350z, and will be slamming the suspension as soon as I get it set up. I am intentionally making this car not worthy of daily driving. With my aggressive LSD, single turbo, wide open exhaust, and lightweight flywheel it will be far from gas efficient. It will be so low I cannot get into any gas station anywhere close to my home or over any sort of speedbump. The rims I have on it are volk gts with an annodized and clearcoated lip which I would not think of running on the winter time or during a rainy day. Am I not a tuner?

You can watch all of Drift Bible on youtube, one user has it split into 5 separate videos.

Im loving having drift mode back, but I still dont think its very realistic regarding how you get points... In the 350z on Fuji F I got the record drift score by short shifting into 3rd and basically cruising around the bends at idle rpms (well relative to RL drift). And I still dont fully understand the scoring system, I find myself on the rev limit at opposite lock sometimes and im not getting points for it... Any help here?

OH, and how amazing is the Blitz R34!!?? Loose as loose can be, yet can still be driven for grip racing if you choose. And what about the sound!? Wastegate ye ya!!! I cant stop driving this thing

You can watch all of Drift Bible on youtube, one user has it split into 5 separate videos.

Im loving having drift mode back, but I still dont think its very realistic regarding how you get points... In the 350z on Fuji F I got the record drift score by short shifting into 3rd and basically cruising around the bends at idle rpms (well relative to RL drift). And I still dont fully understand the scoring system, I find myself on the rev limit at opposite lock sometimes and im not getting points for it... Any help here?

OH, and how amazing is the Blitz R34!!?? Loose as loose can be, yet can still be driven for grip racing if you choose. And what about the sound!? Wastegate ye ya!!! I cant stop driving this thing

Everyones making me want to drive the blitz a lot, it will probably be my first turned car I buy.

looking good ty.. ill have to post some **** when i get a ps 3 or ill just post my footage from my first real drift event on sunday

You know, if you do your best to get in the top ten, you don't need to post your movie

it's been recorded and on the list near yr name and yr time or in this case, yr points;)

Daytona road circuit and the M3 coupé, 135i tii, GT-R 07, all in the top ten ;)
I love GTP :)

So if you wanna watch mine, go check the rankings online on yr game instead off sitting here reading this!

Just wondering what button use for the wand in GT5:P when used with the G25?
Do you use the Paddle shift for gears and assign the gearstick to sequential and use this as the wand while drifting? Pull as an upshift for a mimic hydraulic handbrake seems the best solution unless someone else has a better option i am un aware of?

Potentially the best comment i have read regarding drifting on a computer game like GT5. The same goes for when they tried to regulate the "drift box" in all our competition drift cars for the UK series two years ago.....the main judges said no matter what feedback a drift box can give the human eye is a better judge any day ofthe week. 👍

Suzuki
Potentially the best comment i have read regarding drifting on a computer game like GT5. The same goes for when they tried to regulate the "drift box" in all our competition drift cars for the UK series two years ago.....the main judges said no matter what feedback a drift box can give the human eye is a better judge any day ofthe week. 👍
My point exactly.
You know, if you do your best to get in the top ten, you don't need to post your movie

it's been recorded and on the list near yr name and yr time ;)

Daytona road circuit and the M3 coupé, 135i tii, GT-R 07, all in the top ten ;)
I love GTP :)

So if you wanna watch mine, go check the rankings online on yr game instead off sitting here reading this!
Read the above comment.
Also, what does time have to do with drifting? Oh thats right, nothing.
I dont see anything from you in the top 10 speed, but mixing tires is not what i would call being on the top. Are you consistant enough to drift online with others live? Do you know what tandeming is? Can you do it good?

Just wondering what button use for the wand in GT5:P when used with the G25?
Do you use the Paddle shift for gears and assign the gearstick to sequential and use this as the wand while drifting? Pull as an upshift for a mimic hydraulic handbrake seems the best solution unless someone else has a better option i am un aware of?
Sorry but I dont understand your question fully. I use the DFP, not the G25. But I use the "wand" for the shifter. The paddles go unused.

Back