Decal Uploader: "Failed Reading File"

New Zealand
New Zealand
For whatever reason, a certain decal I try to upload has this "failed reading file" error, along with "A server error has occured". I'm unsure what's causing this, as the file is in the right format & under 15kb. Refreshing the page does not clear the 'server issue'. Has anyone else had this issue?
dtxVN2Q.png

I've had the same problem. You can try one of two things (or both)...
* If you have any gradients or transparencies, put them into an extra level of grouping. If not then take out one element at a time and upoad until you find which element is causing the problem
* Create a new document and copy+paste all the elements (preferably individually one-by-one :( ) into the new document and save as SVG

Weird, I know. But it did work for me...

I've had the same problem. You can try one of two things (or both)...
* If you have any gradients or transparencies, put them into an extra level of grouping. If not then take out one element at a time and upoad until you find which element is causing the problem
* Create a new document and copy+paste all the elements (preferably individually one-by-one :( ) into the new document and save as SVG
There weren't any gradients or transparencies. All other documents I've saved upload just fine so there's no reason for these 2 to be any different.

As others are able to upload them, I'd guess it was just a slightly dodgy connection at that point in time for the OP.

That decal in the video was cut up into 5 or 6 pieces... all but one had the same transparency/element ... only one file failed to upload. I had to select top most layers, group them, paste them into a new document... then do the same for the bottom layers.
Then and only then, it worked :/
But as I said, only one piece did that.

That decal in the video was cut up into 5 or 6 pieces... all but one had the same transparency/element ... only one file failed to upload. I had to select top most layers, group them, paste them into a new document... then do the same for the bottom layers.
Then and only then, it worked :/
But as I said, only one piece did that.

Certain things will cause the uploader to fail that are related to how the SVG is coded, this will cause failure for anyone that tries to upload it though - if some people can upload up, and some can't, it points to the unzipping and uploading process itself. I've shared identical files via zip and via googledrive, the zip file failed the googledrive file worked.

Ok, but you mean server side zipping during the request sent to Gran Turismo's website. That is possible. However since SVG is just a simple blob of text then, that would point to certain meta within the file, not visible to the user, that corrupts the upload process. Saving a fresh copy could resolve that issue.

Ok, but you mean server side zipping during the request sent to Gran Turismo's website. That is possible. However since SVG is just a simple blob of text then, that would point to certain meta within the file, not visible to the user, that corrupts the upload process. Saving a fresh copy could resolve that issue.

I'm not convinced it's serverside at all. Again there's no reason why the server would be handling the same file from different people differently unless it's getting something different from that person. Whilst I'm not an expert I'm as confident as I can be that the SVG file held on the server contains no other information than what's in the file to begin with, and that's true of the blob the browser/java/cache creates to preview the file and send to the server also. I'm sure there's many things that are part of a browser session control that can trip up the process between previewing the local file and sending it the server.

Again there's no reason why the server would be handling the same file from different people differently unless it's getting something different from that person
That's my point. Contents are the same, so some other factor determines the success or failure of the upload. Different methods of sharing of the same file could have different effects on the hidden meta.

Anyway, this is just speculation. There is not enough data provided by the site response to determine the cause... just a vague error message and an integer (probably an error code).

Would it be possible for somebody to share files which are "identical" but one works and the other doesn't?? Might be a starting point for a small investigation.

That's my point. Contents are the same, so some other factor determines the success or failure of the upload. Different methods of sharing of the same file could have different effects on the hidden meta.

Just so we're clear, what hidden meta are you referring to? I'm not aware of any other headers in text based XML file that aren't visible - but like I say, I'm far from being an expert.

It's easy to get a file to fail without making it invalid. The first line of the XML will usually specify UTF-8 is being used, if it's absent UTF-8 is assumed. If you changed it to UTF-16, it will still work in your browser, and the uploader will still preview it, but the file will fail.

I guess it's possible that some compression utilities might be changing the actual file unicode and causing such a failure, even if the XML still states UTF-8

Last edited:
Might be worth running it through SVGOMG to see if it changes anything. Yesterday I ran through some simple text that wasn't displaying correctly and SVGOMG was able to correct it.

Link if you need it: jakearchibald.github.io/svgomg/

I was able to resolve the issue, & all I had to do was use Chrome to upload. Now I feel like a bit of an idiot. For whatever reason, the one particular file will simpily refuse to upload on Edge. I guess the bigger issue is why I'm still using Edge :lol:.

Hi,

Sorry to bump this thread but I am experiencing the same issue, has anyone actually found the cause of the error and resolved it?

I have successfully uploaded nearly 100 logos in the past but haven't done any for a few months until yesterday when I tried uploading some new ones I have done.

Nothing has changed I am using the same software to create the logos (Adobe Illustrator & Vector Magic) and I'm using google Chrome.

I even tried uploading a couple of files that I've uploaded in the past and I get the same error.

Any suggestions?

It's been two days for me. I've got over 200 uploads and then Thursday nothing. I use Corel 18, affinity and some AI and never had a problem with any of them. I tried everything mentioned here and still nothing.

Started for me on Thursday. Nothing has changed. I've uploaded over 200 decals without a problem using AI, Affinity, and Corel 18. All of a sudden nothing uploads, I've deleted a few older decals then tried uploading them again and it still doesn't work.

I used the uploader for the first time in months yesterday. First 3 files wouldn't upload. Ran them through SVGOMG and they uploaded fine.

I've created 1000's of decals so I now when my SVG is valid and when it isn't...

Traced it down to this line in the end...

Code:
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">

When I take that line out, it works fine.

PD seem to be messing with the uploader in the background.

edit... for further example...

This doesn't work, it was a simple graphic exported straight from Corel..

upload_2019-3-9_15-25-36.png

simply deleted the DOCTYPE comment... and...

upload_2019-3-9_15-27-15.png

it worked..

Last edited:
I used the uploader for the first time in months yesterday. First 3 files wouldn't upload. Ran them through SVGOMG and they uploaded fine.

I've created 1000's of decals so I now when my SVG is valid and when it isn't...

Code:
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">

View attachment 805154

View attachment 805155

it worked..
I just ran my problem svg's through that svgomg and they all worked!

Thanks MatskiMonk :cheers:

I'll give this another try today.

It worked! Thanks tons guys. I've tried this for a day and a half now and all of a sudden it works.

Last edited:
For some reason, when using Affinity, the uploader won't work. When i use inkscape, I have no issues. This is not an issue i've had before!

Code:

View attachment 805154

View attachment 805155

it worked..

I was having this issue back in December (thread here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/decal-uploader-bug.384352/) where it appeared to be just me. As above, deleting the doctype line of code instantly resolves the issue. Simply open the file in your text editor of choice delete everything above "<svg xmlns..." hit save and upload.

The reason files that have been run through SVGOMG work is that it removes that line of code under the default settings.

Seems to be a server issue, of which there has been quite a few lately, perhaps PD are reducing investment in the online side as the game ages.

I was having this issue back in December (thread here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/decal-uploader-bug.384352/) where it appeared to be just me. As above, deleting the doctype line of code instantly resolves the issue. Simply open the file in your text editor of choice delete everything above "<svg xmlns..." hit save and upload.

The reason files that have been run through SVGOMG work is that it removes that line of code under the default settings.

Seems to be a server issue, of which there has been quite a few lately, perhaps PD are reducing investment in the online side as the game ages.
The other good thing about svgomg is it removes a load of other stuff and greatly reduces the file size.
I've got a few that I've been struggling with to get below 15kb svgomg sorted them. :)

Back