December 2017 NPD Sales Results: Need For Speed Payback Leads The Way

Need For Speed in the top 10 oh my? I would have never thought NFS would place anywhere. The last NFS I played was Hot Pursuit. Not a bad game just not the type of racing game I would invest in. Forza is giving Gran Turismo a run for the money. I have played 7 on my chiropractor's on the new X Box with a wheel and I'm really impressed by the game. I have Assetto Corsa on my gaming/ digital music studio PC. I was really having fun with it until my wheel died and the same with GT6. I have not tried AC with a controller.

After all the negative feedback, reviews and playing once I seriously think PD has blown it with GT Sport. I can get an X Box, Forza and a wheel for much less that Sony's offering and the outlandish price of a G29. Is GT Sport a teaser for a release of GT7? I surely hope so but doubt we will ever see a GT 7. As a former real life race car driver I'm leaning toward X Box even though presently can't afford either. The thought of having to pay to play with GT Sport is ridiculous. Isn't it enough that just GT Sport and a PS4 is $400 plus dollars and PD is requiring a PS Plus account on top of that in my opinion is seen as a betrayal to the loyal plays since GT1. I don't know if X Box requires money to play as I had about 15 minutes of game play. I'm not going to waste more time on the subjects of wheels except that to get a G29, a PS4 and GT Sport is in the neighborhood of over a thousand dollars is just not worth it. I could build 2 PCs with close to the best parts for what it would cost to go with PD & Sony. I'm headed out to Gamespot to see if I can find a used version of Project Cars for PC.

Need For Speed in the top 10 oh my?

On the PS4 yes, but overall it was 15th.

Is GT Sport a teaser for a release of GT7?

No. At this point in time, there is no plan for a GT7.

I don't know if X Box requires money to play as I had about 15 minutes of game play.

Both ecosystems allow limited online play without pay, but PS Plus and XBL Gold are essential if you want to race online. GT Sport requires an internet connection (but not Plus) to save your game progress.

Both also hand out free games each month as part of your subscription. They may not be what you're hoping for, though.

I'm headed out to Gamespot to see if I can find a used version of Project Cars for PC.

You'd probably be better off buying the GOTY edition on Steam. All DLC included that way, and it's peanuts these days.

@SlipZtrEm, thanks for your input. I may just do that. Thanks for the suggestion since I only play racing games. Not even Grand Theft Auto since it involves things I would never do in real life. Blood and guts don't do anything but make me sick. . My entire game collection is nothing but racing games and as far away from Arcade type games which to me NFS always was. Actually after GT3 I continued with PD to GT6. Assetto Corsa is the first PC based racing game I've had and I really did enjoy it while my used DFGT was working. The one thing I never looked into but came to mind because of your input is to see if Logitech offers a repair service for their wheels. Thanks again Mate.:cheers:

Need For Speed in the top 10 oh my? I would have never thought NFS would place anywhere.

I think when it comes to racing games, sim racers are in among the minority. Arcade/sim-cade racers, with flashy cars, and the ability to jump in without spending a fortune on equipment appeals to a lot of people who are into cars, but might not be hardcore into sims.

I think that's why you seem games like Mario Kart continue to do so well, it appeals to a huge audience and is really easy to pick up and play.

I think when it comes to racing games, sim racers are in among the minority. Arcade/sim-cade racers, with flashy cars, and the ability to jump in without spending a fortune on equipment appeals to a lot of people who are into cars, but might not be hardcore into sims.

I think that's why you seem games like Mario Kart continue to do so well, it appeals to a huge audience and is really easy to pick up and play.
In regards to Mario Kart, you also have 2 console generations worth of Nintendo fans to tap into as well. Due to the lacklustre sales of the Wii U, a lot of people would have been clawing at the chance to pick up a Deluxe port. With good reason too, since 8 Deluxe is pretty much a masterpiece for the karting genre.

Need For Speed in the top 10 oh my? I would have never thought NFS would place anywhere. The last NFS I played was Hot Pursuit. Not a bad game just not the type of racing game I would invest in. Forza is giving Gran Turismo a run for the money. I have played 7 on my chiropractor's on the new X Box with a wheel and I'm really impressed by the game. I have Assetto Corsa on my gaming/ digital music studio PC. I was really having fun with it until my wheel died and the same with GT6. I have not tried AC with a controller.

After all the negative feedback, reviews and playing once I seriously think PD has blown it with GT Sport. I can get an X Box, Forza and a wheel for much less that Sony's offering and the outlandish price of a G29. Is GT Sport a teaser for a release of GT7? I surely hope so but doubt we will ever see a GT 7. As a former real life race car driver I'm leaning toward X Box even though presently can't afford either. The thought of having to pay to play with GT Sport is ridiculous. Isn't it enough that just GT Sport and a PS4 is $400 plus dollars and PD is requiring a PS Plus account on top of that in my opinion is seen as a betrayal to the loyal plays since GT1. I don't know if X Box requires money to play as I had about 15 minutes of game play. I'm not going to waste more time on the subjects of wheels except that to get a G29, a PS4 and GT Sport is in the neighborhood of over a thousand dollars is just not worth it. I could build 2 PCs with close to the best parts for what it would cost to go with PD & Sony. I'm headed out to Gamespot to see if I can find a used version of Project Cars for PC.

Wait, so do you mean your chiropractor has an Xbox and wheel setup at his office or you went to your chiropractor’s house?

No Skyrim :( damn and when I’m not racing it’s still a joy to play and it came out in 2011:). I have need for speed payback wish there was a cock pit camera and I bought deluxe on sale for almost half price but don’t play it much. It can be so frustrating at times and the characters annoy me. Still there not as tools as 2015 and handing is a little better.

As others above, I'm amazed at how well GTAV is still doing.

I do wonder what the total units sold of this game is (across all platforms)!

Anyone know if that gets published/where?

What would it have to beat, to be the biggest selling game ever?

Cheers

i'm a huge GT fan and was a huge NFS fan until the 2010 period. But I had more fun in Payback than GT SPORT

This is bad for PD and I don't think monthly DLC's are going to fix the perception issue for them and get the casual racer interested again. Very limited single player options at launch was a huge mistake.

Of all the new content PD is developing, 60% should not be released for GT Sport (Free or Paid), they should launch all of it as GT7 in Fall 2019 with ~500 Cars and ~40 Tracks with a much greater emphasis on single player and performance modding options to try and capture that lost customer again. They should really be worried about brand equity with sales numbers like these.

Wonder how GT can turn around its fortunes in the US. Surprised people are still buying NFS after the 2015 edition.

GTA V is an absolute beast.

I was addicted to GTA V for the longest time. I'm around 450 I think. Most of my friends from that game are all around 550. I haven't played it very much since September.

Surprised people are still buying NFS after the 2015 edition.
Having played it for about 10 hours or so, I can definitely see why it's selling well. It's one of the only arcade driving games that's come out recently on the 2 biggest consoles and definitely appeals very much to a lot of casual players with it's approachable and fun handling and extensive car customization.

Plus IMO it is by far the most fun of any racing game that's come out recently, just a few minor things stopping it from being up there as one of my favorite NFS' of all time.

I dunno - topping the charts on the PS4 is a whole lot harder than XB1, with all the amazing PS4 exclusives out there. Especially when taking about racing sims.

Having played it for about 10 hours or so, I can definitely see why it's selling well. It's one of the only arcade driving games that's come out recently on the 2 biggest consoles and definitely appeals very much to a lot of casual players with it's approachable and fun handling and extensive car customization.

Plus IMO it is by far the most fun of any racing game that's come out recently, just a few minor things stopping it from being up there as one of my favorite NFS' of all time.

Agreed with everything said here. Payback is still not a perfect game, but it is certainly a return to form for the series and deserves to be selling well. 👍

NFS was pretty disappointing this year. I'm convinced that Ghost Games is a good developer but the Frostbite engine just isn't good for racing games.

NFS was pretty disappointing this year. I'm convinced that Ghost Games is a good developer but the Frostbite engine just isn't good for racing games.

The Frostbite engine really isn't good for anything outside sports games. Even Mass Effect Andromeda and Dragon Age Inquisition suffered from it.

This is bad for PD and I don't think monthly DLC's are going to fix the perception issue for them and get the casual racer interested again. Very limited single player options at launch was a huge mistake.

Of all the new content PD is developing, 60% should not be released for GT Sport (Free or Paid), they should launch all of it as GT7 in Fall 2019 with ~500 Cars and ~40 Tracks with a much greater emphasis on single player and performance modding options to try and capture that lost customer again. They should really be worried about brand equity with sales numbers like these.

Since I started with GT1 and the PS1 PD has yet to really listen to it's customer base. We have been asking for real engine sounds since the beginning and still after 6.5 evolutions they still don't have it right. I'm a musician with a digital recording studio and know without a doubt that you can mount digital microphones to a car and record the true sounds of the entire car. The comes the mixing where the wind noise can be reduced and all sounds have a specific frequency. Think about F1 or NASCAR for a second. The real engine sounds are there on the TV aren't they? Then there's YouTube. Do a search for best engine sounds and you'll find hundreds of them. So it isn't that it can't be done, it is just the fact that Kaz and PD have their own idea of what GT should be and I personally believe they are going to do what they want regardless of the outcry of their customers.. They have made a few small steps toward customization, but that was available on the PS2 with Tokyo Xtreme Racer. I still have all 3 of those games. Then there was The 24 Hours of Lemans, also a PS2 game that had great engine sounds and some better world tracks than GT. I hope PD will listen as I have hoped in the past but I'm not holding my breath. I do prefer simulators to arcade because I was a real SCCA driver and now that I'm both disabled and old the simulators keep my skills honed even though I don't race any longer I still have to drive with the idiots out on the road.

The handling must've gotten a massive overhaul from NFS 2015 then.

Back