December Car of the Month - McLaren MP4-12C '10 - COME JOIN THE FUN!

Thanks everyone for making this mini challenge enjoyable and a special thanks to @TurnLeft for all the hard work he had to put in. I was very surprised to see how well my tune handled in TurnLeft's hands at those tracks and that I won in the 600PP SS challenge!

I'm looking forward to participating in following COTM threads starting with these R33 GT-R's. :)
What's wrong with my hands........
000200A7.gif
, +
road-rage-042.gif
=
00020265.gif
, oops, forgot to take my makeup off.

MP4 600pp Racing Medium (3 laps)

Race 1: Brands Hatch Indy
@xande1959 - 42.305(42.528) - 10 pts
@shaunm80 - 42.868(43.204) - 8 pts
@DaBomm4 - 42.987(43.094) - 6 pts
Bowtie-muscle - 43.371(43.429) - 4 pts
@praiano63 43.812(43.829) - 2 pts

Race 2: Daytona International Speedway
@praiano63 - 41.897(41.919) - 10 pts
Bowtie-muscle - 42.273(42.282) - 8 pts
@shaunm80 - 42.369(42.412) - 6 pts
@DaBomm4 - 42.722(42.740) - 4 pts
@xande1959 - 44.409(44.425) - 2 pts

Race 3: Matterhorn Short Track
Bowtie-muscle - 21.926(22.208) - 10 pts
@shaunm80 - 21.944(22.035) - 8 pts
@xande1959 - 21.955(22.032) - 6 pts
@DaBomm4 - 21.960(22.216) - 4 pts
@praiano63 - 22.283(22.441) - 2 pts

Race 4: London
@xande1959 - 47.802(48.023) - 10 pts
@DaBomm4 - 48.194(48.457) - 8 pts
Bowtie-muscle - 48.652(48.759) - 6 pts
@praiano63 - 48.800(49.012) - 4 pts
@shaunm80 - 48.807(48.759) - 2 pts

Race 5: Cape Ring North:
@xande1959 - 84.204(84.220) - 10 pts
@DaBomm4 - 85.844(86.221) - 8 pts
@praiano63 - 85.968(86.315) - 6 pts
Bowtie-muscle - 86.132(86.538) - 4 pts
@shaunm80 - 86.220(86.420) - 2 pts

Final Results:
@xande1959 - 38 points

Bowtie-muscle - 32 pts
@DaBomm4 - 30 pts
@shaunm80 - 26 pts
@praiano63 - 24 pts
- medium tires had a very good performance not imagined, I will start testing this tire medium future. I congratulate the organization of this event .Thank you all especially the happy turnLeft 2015:bowdown::cheers:

That gave me an idea, drop down to SS or SH, @TurnLeft, if you have time I would be interested to know how my GT3 replica drives on one of the tracks you used for testing and use SS tire or lower.

I just saw the January 2015 car of the month, looks like I have ample choices of cars to be entered :) from Wangan replica, Hosaka Tuning R33 to upcoming Nismo 400R replica :D The Wangan sounds juicy with CS tire on 800HP R33 :lol:

Sounds like some fun, bring 'em on! But CS tires?:crazy:

Sorry It's now January, but I did want to do a couple of reviews on these MP4's so here goes.

First @shaunm80.
I have tried a couple of your tunes before, please don't ask, it was a while ago, (like a long while ago) and I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure they were for some of the early seasonals, don't worry. they did the job and delivered me some gold trophies so it's all good. I just couldn't seem to get on with them. I put it down to being tuned by a smooth driver on a wheel and being used by a :crazy: driver on a DS3 (Still using PS one buttons:lol:) I did try last months CotM entry as well (Masesrati 👍) but ran out of time and didn't get review done so I am making a point of getting this one in...as late as it may be.

So the MP4-12C. This car had bags and bags of grip, I originally tried it with the TC=1 as it was tuned and even with the SH tyres on I felt that this was holding me back a bit, so I took it off and continued. I have taken this car to Brands Hatch, Nurb GP-F. Spa, Suzuka and GVS and found it real smooth and so easy to control. the brakes are sharp, turn in is smooth and responsive and the exit to the corner was good, even on the SH with TC off. I found that it loves high speed sweepers and the mid-high speed bends but I just felt I had to wait just a bit too long to get back on the gas in some of the slower corners, the rotation at lower speeds could have been just a little bit better, but that may just be the way I drive.

In all, I really enjoyed the testing. There were a few moments where I felt the car was a little too stiff but this was only at certain points on a certain track (Nurb Gp-F from Turn 5 I think, right round and through the Schumacher esses. The car did seem to hop a bit here and there but that's not unusual, many a good car has had problems here. Overall I think this is great car that the majority of users should get along just fine with. It wasn't as fast as I would liked, but it was safe enough to get me to the finish line in one piece, regardless of what I tried to throw at it. And it wasn't too far off the pace. But in order to win a race first you have to finish, and this should have no problems going from flag to flag without incident.

Overall i think it's a great smooth tune . I'll be recommending it to any of my wheel user friends, any who haven't found it yet that is.
Good work Shaun, really nice drive.👍:cheers:

Sorry It's now January, but I did want to do a couple of reviews on these MP4's so here goes.

First @shaunm80.
I have tried a couple of your tunes before, please don't ask, it was a while ago, (like a long while ago) and I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure they were for some of the early seasonals, don't worry. they did the job and delivered me some gold trophies so it's all good. I just couldn't seem to get on with them. I put it down to being tuned by a smooth driver on a wheel and being used by a :crazy: driver on a DS3 (Still using PS one buttons:lol:) I did try last months CotM entry as well (Masesrati 👍) but ran out of time and didn't get review done so I am making a point of getting this one in...as late as it may be.

So the MP4-12C. This car had bags and bags of grip, I originally tried it with the TC=1 as it was tuned and even with the SH tyres on I felt that this was holding me back a bit, so I took it off and continued. I have taken this car to Brands Hatch, Nurb GP-F. Spa, Suzuka and GVS and found it real smooth and so easy to control. the brakes are sharp, turn in is smooth and responsive and the exit to the corner was good, even on the SH with TC off. I found that it loves high speed sweepers and the mid-high speed bends but I just felt I had to wait just a bit too long to get back on the gas in some of the slower corners, the rotation at lower speeds could have been just a little bit better, but that may just be the way I drive.

In all, I really enjoyed the testing. There were a few moments where I felt the car was a little too stiff but this was only at certain points on a certain track (Nurb Gp-F from Turn 5 I think, right round and through the Schumacher esses. The car did seem to hop a bit here and there but that's not unusual, many a good car has had problems here. Overall I think this is great car that the majority of users should get along just fine with. It wasn't as fast as I would liked, but it was safe enough to get me to the finish line in one piece, regardless of what I tried to throw at it. And it wasn't too far off the pace. But in order to win a race first you have to finish, and this should have no problems going from flag to flag without incident.

Overall i think it's a great smooth tune . I'll be recommending it to any of my wheel user friends, any who haven't found it yet that is.
Good work Shaun, really nice drive.👍:cheers:
Thank you for the comments about the McLaren iPod. I am glad that you enjoyed the tune. It worked well for the seasonals and is a good all rounder at the 550PP mark. You certainly tested it on a good selection of tracks and I know what you mean about the Nurburgring GP/F track, it does make cars a bit juddery at times, even with a smooth tune on it.

I am not really known for making uber fast tunes, that is more Praiano or Motor City Hami domain :) but with my original DS3 pad and directional buttons, I try and make them as smooth as they can be and able to win whatever they were tuned for. Unfortunately I don't own a wheel but I hear they are very nice to use.. Maybe one day when I have a proper man cave, and GT7 comes out on the PS4. :)

@ImToLegitToQuit.
This one was a bit of a revelation to me. This is the first tune of your's I have tried and I was very impressed that you managed to completely eliminate what I would describe as the MP4's indecisiveness. The MP4-12C seems to me to have a little think after you turn the wheel, the nose goes exactly where you want it and it seems as though the rear has to think if it's safe before making up it's mind and following suit. I tried my best to get rid of this with my tune, but there is still some signs of it. Not with your's! I found your car to be a bit more agile than the others I've tried and better still when you turn the wheel the car does exactly what you want it to do. There is no sign of the mid-turn hesitation here.

When I was copying your settings to my car, two things really stood out. Rear Toe-out at 0.50!? and the MLSD Acceleration setting at 50 :eek:. I was trying to figure why this would be the case, especially after seeing most of the others with Accel around the 12-13 mark. But I wonder no longer, as soon as I got to the first corner on Suzuka all became clear. I think these two settings were used extremely well to rid the car of that indecisiveness I feel plagues it.

The rotation this car displays is perfect for me, not good, not even exceptional, but perfect. The brakes are spot on in my opinion and turn in was crisp and direct, once in the turn and I started to get back on the power the car just continued where it was going. There was absolutely no understeer at all as I got on the power to come out of the turn, the car just took of like a rocket. In fact, I could almost be convinced that this was tuned for me, it suited my driving style that well.

The only thing I think that could have improved this tune for me, was a little bit more stability up front. I think there was just a little too much roll there, but otherwise this was a superb drive and fully deserving of the 5 stars you got on the tunes review page. Another one for my favourites list I think.

Great job with this tune. I love it:bowdown:

@ImToLegitToQuit.
This one was a bit of a revelation to me. This is the first tune of your's I have tried and I was very impressed that you managed to completely eliminate what I would describe as the MP4's indecisiveness. The MP4-12C seems to me to have a little think after you turn the wheel, the nose goes exactly where you want it and it seems as though the rear has to think if it's safe before making up it's mind and following suit. I tried my best to get rid of this with my tune, but there is still some signs of it. Not with your's! I found your car to be a bit more agile than the others I've tried and better still when you turn the wheel the car does exactly what you want it to do. There is no sign of the mid-turn hesitation here.

When I was copying your settings to my car, two things really stood out. Rear Toe-out at 0.50!? and the MLSD Acceleration setting at 50 :eek:. I was trying to figure why this would be the case, especially after seeing most of the others with Accel around the 12-13 mark. But I wonder no longer, as soon as I got to the first corner on Suzuka all became clear. I think these two settings were used extremely well to rid the car of that indecisiveness I feel plagues it.

The rotation this car displays is perfect for me, not good, not even exceptional, but perfect. The brakes are spot on in my opinion and turn in was crisp and direct, once in the turn and I started to get back on the power the car just continued where it was going. There was absolutely no understeer at all as I got on the power to come out of the turn, the car just took of like a rocket. In fact, I could almost be convinced that this was tuned for me, it suited my driving style that well.

The only thing I think that could have improved this tune for me, was a little bit more stability up front. I think there was just a little too much roll there, but otherwise this was a superb drive and fully deserving of the 5 stars you got on the tunes review page. Another one for my favourites list I think.

Great job with this tune. I love it:bowdown:
Lol wow man. If that's the review I get for 5 bucks I'll slide you a 10 next time :D in all seriousness though, thankyou. It is actually my McLaren 2.0. When @Bowtie-muscle told me he was going to use my tune for the cotm example I revisited it and made some changes to the initial tune. It used to have that mid corner push where the back end would not come around like you described. The really high natural grip of the car allowed the high toe out number and the high accell setting eliminated any under steer. I've tried (seperately) stiffening the front, rain the front compression, and stiffening the front arb. They all made for slower turn in and I didn't like it. I prefer a softer setup that allows for weight to be thrown around and used to you advantage. If you look at my cars they are soft as possible without lighting up the front tires under braking. It helps with not spinning on curbs too.

No problem man, 5 was fine :lol: It wasn't that bad, I only really noticed it in a few places. Once I got use to it, it was great fun and quick too.

Back