Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,092 comments
Dan
What methods do you use to relax?
I used to draw. I had hopes of my own online comic to make some money while at home. I have this long sci-fi fantasy sort'a epic bubbling in the back of my mind. That or uploading game videos or streams. Couldn't really think of a solid format as I'm not the most chatty person when playing, and I can't fake excitement and energy like all the ones I see the kids watch.

Lately I haven't really had time to do either. Just a couple cheesy phone games I got hooked on. The distraction is nice. That and browsing these forums. Although some arguments in a few threads can be stressful to read.:lol: In any case I really appreciate this site being here, and simply writing out my thoughts in this thread is a good outlet.

I was just particularly frustrated last night because the funeral and reception coincided with my nephew's birthday. With alcohol always being a prime ingredient with these things, stupid scenarios always seem to boil up when they didn't need to. I never drink, due to my observations of what it does to friends and family, so sober me always plays clean up.

He said that it was probably from exhaustion and excessive stress
After my experience I hold caregivers in a new light. The stress is far more real than I could ever had predicted, especially if the one in care is verbally abusive. It can really drag a person down. Whatever your situation is like, I hope you stay strong for them and yourself.

Last edited:
Oh dear, alcoholism caused by depression (and vice versa) are getting me in deeper and deeper waters. I’ve missed 2 days of work and have been reported by my department manager, most of my family do nothing but lecture me if they haven’t given up on me already, my wife is putting on a brave face but I know it’s getting to her and my body and mind are very close to giving up all together.

It doesn’t seem real, like all the destruction I cause is happening on a tv show or in a different reality.

Oh dear, alcoholism caused by depression (and vice versa) are getting me in deeper and deeper waters. I’ve missed 2 days of work and have been reported by my department manager, most of my family do nothing but lecture me if they haven’t given up on me already, my wife is putting on a brave face but I know it’s getting to her and my body and mind are very close to giving up all together.

It doesn’t seem real, like all the destruction I cause is happening on a tv show or in a different reality.
What have you tried for the depression and alcoholism?

It doesn't work for everyone but high dose Baclofen can be good for alcoholics trying to cut down. Probably won't affect your depression however.

What have you tried for the depression and alcoholism?

The depression is managed by Prozac but I find I’m needing heavier doses the older I get. Must be tolerance. I’m back in balance now that the booze is out of my system.

For alcoholism I just have to stop myself drinking, I abuse alcohol, I’m not really addicted. I have the support of my family and colleagues but it’s mostly a personal effort to avoid that oh-so-dangerous “just one” drink which inevitably leads to my demise.

How long is it been this bad that your family are lecturing you about it and are missing work. Has it ever been this bad before?

The last 15 years at least lol. I've been in some holes before and I've mostly functioned as an alcoholic but for the 10% of that time when I haven't I'm purely self destructive.

The depression is manageable with pills and regular exercise but the booze I have to cut out completely to have a 'normal' life. I was sober for a fair time but fell off the wagon. Back on again now and riding the manic high.

Here we go... the start of a loooooong holiday season. More yelling, arguing over property of dead grandparents, aunts molesting me, yaaaay...

****ing kill me already.

I have ptsd and having a real rough time right now. Having problems with memory, concentration, I’m a jackass to my fiance, obsessed with sex and money. I need to seek counseling again but I’m such a high achiever that I get more depressed because I feel weak. I’m not myself and feel lost.

I don't exactly feel depressed by this or anything, but last night's dream did leave me with a dreadful feeling that I most definitely do miss high school, and even the immature times before that, just for the social encounters. It's been quiet on that front for years now since I don't have it in me to seek people out or take initiatives in general. Even if I could get over that overwhelming barrier and leave home once in a while for more than just shopping or walks, I might easily set myself up for disappointment finding out that my peers have grown into something completely different, while I'm still the same forum-dwelling gamer as always.

I was doing some reading as I was blogging recently about seasonal affective disorder. The one thing I came across a lot in regards to SAD in cold weather times is how much light therapy can be. If you tried light therapy to deal with depression from SAD, what is it like? Do you train to have active light around you or something?

I was doing some reading as I was blogging recently about seasonal affective disorder. The one thing I came across a lot in regards to SAD in cold weather times is how much light therapy can be. If you tried light therapy to deal with depression from SAD, what is it like? Do you train to have active light around you or something?

My mate used to suffer SAD pretty badly and bought a special lamp for his office and home which boosts vitamin D or something. It really helped him get through the darker, more miserable months.

I don't exactly feel depressed by this or anything, but last night's dream did leave me with a dreadful feeling that I most definitely do miss high school, and even the immature times before that, just for the social encounters. It's been quiet on that front for years now since I don't have it in me to seek people out or take initiatives in general. Even if I could get over that overwhelming barrier and leave home once in a while for more than just shopping or walks, I might easily set myself up for disappointment finding out that my peers have grown into something completely different, while I'm still the same forum-dwelling gamer as always.

I can relate to this a lot, I sort of inadvertently removed a lot of people from my life after I left school (not really surprising seeing as I never fit the bracket anyway) and wound up in a situation much like yours. In my experience the peers of the past have changed, but then again you have too. There's nothing wrong with finding out that people are different, just as there's nothing wrong with them being the same. Though I hope you don't feel ashamed for being potentially labeled a 'forum dwelling gamer,' because if anyone wants to shame you for being you, then damn them.

Those lights I spoke of in regards to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) are light boxes. A lot of these start at over $30 USD, but they can go a long way by helping you get through the rough times of Fall/Autumn and Winter if you suffer from depression in these times. One caution I did read about was that you could get angry or something if you don't use light therapy properly. So you'll need to do this stuff cautiously if you are doing light therapy to treat your depression issues.

I’ve been putting this off for far too long, but I’m finally going to get professional help. I shouldn’t have waited so long and to let myself get to such a terrible point, but now is better than never, I suppose.

Before I make my first appointment, what questions should I ask of my therapist(s)? What should I know before going? I’ve been to school counselors every year I was in school, but senior year was the last time I had one. Since I’m an adult, what do I need to know or do now? I have already narrowed down my search to a few affordable therapists that are in my town, by the way.

Dan
I’ve been putting this off for far too long, but I’m finally going to get professional help. I shouldn’t have waited so long and to let myself get to such a terrible point, but now is better than never, I suppose.

Before I make my first appointment, what questions should I ask of my therapist(s)? What should I know before going? I’ve been to school counselors every year I was in school, but senior year was the last time I had one. Since I’m an adult, what do I need to know or do now? I have already narrowed down my search to a few affordable therapists that are in my town, by the way.

Firstly, well done on making that step.

Secondly, let the therapist do the talking at first and see if you feel if you want to open up. If they have any credibility they’ll try to figure out your mental state before suggesting a solution (which may well be pills if it’s a private practise). It helps to be honest about your feelings and how you are, they’ve heard all sorts before so don’t worry about seeming weird at all.

From personal experience I can’t say that therapy has helped all that much and exercise and meds have done a lot more for me over the period of my adult life than chats with a shrink.

Firstly, well done on making that step.

Secondly, let the therapist do the talking at first and see if you feel if you want to open up. If they have any credibility they’ll try to figure out your mental state before suggesting a solution (which may well be pills if it’s a private practise). It helps to be honest about your feelings and how you are, they’ve heard all sorts before so don’t worry about seeming weird at all.

From personal experience I can’t say that therapy has helped all that much and exercise and meds have done a lot more for me over the period of my adult life than chats with a shrink.

IIRC, only psychiatrists are only allowed to prescribe medication (unless that’s different outside the US). I’ll have to check, but I don’t think any of the people I found are psychiatrists.

Dan
IIRC, only psychiatrists are only allowed to prescribe medication (unless that’s different outside the US). I’ll have to check, but I don’t think any of the people I found are psychiatrists.

Ok, I assumed you were seeing a psychiatrist. Mental therapists work just as well if they know what they’re doing.

I get my ‘Zacs over the counter so no script needed. I was seeing a shrink earlier this year but he gave me nothing but **** pills that didn’t work so I sacked him off. Even in China I had to see a shrink to get them but here I just order them in from my local pharmacy across the street :lol: .

Psychiatrists can prescribe medication, psychologists can't.

AFAIK, a psychiatrist has a medical degree. They have to become a doctor first and then specialize in psychiatry.

The sense of total panic I normally get in the run up to New Year hasn't happened this year. On the one hand, I think that's a good thing, somewhat of a relief... on the other, I think it's probably because I've given up.

With the sunset of 2018 and the sunrise of 2019, I can only hope the new year will bring happier times and more positive progress. Finish the fight against depression if you are experiencing it in your life or if someone else is battling depression. Again- don't let depression win.

The last 15 years at least lol. I've been in some holes before and I've mostly functioned as an alcoholic but for the 10% of that time when I haven't I'm purely self destructive.

The depression is manageable with pills and regular exercise but the booze I have to cut out completely to have a 'normal' life. I was sober for a fair time but fell off the wagon. Back on again now and riding the manic high.
Do you have AA where you live? Maybe that could help keep you on the better side.

I have ptsd and having a real rough time right now. Having problems with memory, concentration, I’m a jackass to my fiance, obsessed with sex and money. I need to seek counseling again but I’m such a high achiever that I get more depressed because I feel weak. I’m not myself and feel lost.
Did you end up getting counseling?

Do you have AA where you live? Maybe that could help keep you on the better side.

There is an AA service for expats here but I’m not really keen on their philosophies and it takes place while I’m at work anyway.

I’m not too bad at abstaining on my own but sometimes I relaps due to minor reasons and then it’s a slippery slope into oblivion.

I am in contact with a former AA member who has offered her support should I need it.

I just qualified from my degree and instead of providing more structure I'm just left with more questions about where I want to go in the future. It gets me down but fortunately I can keep busy most days on placements to take my mind off it

I've always felt like I've had some type of depression, but never really felt it as much as I do now. It's been nearly 3 weeks since I lost my job and all I feel myself doing is holding back from moving out of a 🤬 dealership industry. I could "easily" get a job again at another dealership, but I fear it will end up like the past two dealerships I've worked at. So I feel the need to make a change, but I just can't motivate myself. I feel like things have gotten worse since being laid off and now I'm at the point where I can't even feel motivated to cook a meal or even eat. I've spent most of my time in bed sulking, unable to get up and be productive. Then when I actually try to sleep, I struggle to and find my mind being filled with nothing but negativity. Thinking about mistakes made in my past and how much I've screwed up my life, working nothing but low-end jobs. Although part of me "enjoyed" these jobs working at a dealership.... I always hear people say working at a car dealership makes you hate cars, but that hasn't really happened to me. But of course, the pay is crap and most of the time you're treated like trash or nothing.

I need to make a career change, but as I said, I'm struggling to even eat, let alone go out and seek help in some form or another. Sad part is that I have a connection that I wish I could make more of, but my social anxiety is getting the better of me.

Of course, the problem of losing a job was only a factor and there's plenty of other things that make me feel terrible. I guess the job loss was what really hit me and the thought of returning to a crap industry makes me question if it's really worth it to jump right back in. But at the same time, not being productive is driving myself mad.

Latest Posts

Back