Depression and Anxiety Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,115 comments
No. You are not. I don't even know you, but I will not entertain that thought. I've sat there with a glass of poison on the table, wondering if I was going to chug it to get out of my seemingly worthless existence. Thankfully, a telephone call came along and reminded me of the folly in that thought.

People care, FrzGT. There may not be friendly faces that you can picture around here, but there are friendly people who have faces. Plus, they care. Depression is nasty. Anxiety can turn the most fearsome lioness into a whimpering kit. But - you are not alone. More importantly, with a place like this, you never truly are.
Thanks :) But probably have been sorted out. Im now busy doing things. But again very thanks :)

Sorry to bump this thread again, it's been almost a year since I made my original post and I just wanted to provide you guys with an update.

Relative to then and now, I'm doing quite a bit better, but still not there yet. Unfortunately less than a month I posted that, right around my 18th birthday, that divorce I was anxious about did happen. It's been an uphill battle all year, especially considering the amount of income for food and utilities has reduced by quite a margin. Honestly, even though it has had an emotional and financial impact on my father and I, I feel it was for the better in the long run.

I also had a scare with my best friend and dog, Shadow, and nearly lost him late winter into spring. Strained finances made it really hard to keep him alive and I was preparing myself to put him out. Fortunately it didn't come to that and he's sleeping behind me right now. Hopefully he'll stick around for many more years. As if that wasn't enough I was bitten by a dog on memorial day weekend and now have permanent scars on my face and nose, what a year.

It's kind of coincidental the household I've been a part of has been severed twice, but around the same time of the year in mid-fall. This year on October 26 will mark nine years since my mother's death, and being 18 (19 in November), it will be roughly half of my life spent with her and half without. I don't want to say that things are easier now, I'm becoming emotionally strained writing this, but on a good day I feel like I can prosper in the world around me and be successful. It will be hard though, it's a daunting task for me to put myself out there and establish myself in society.

I never saw a doctor or sought extra attention for depression as of yet, and I've managed to keep myself busy enough with the GTPlanet Endurance Series and other sim-racing to keep my mind from overthinking things. However, if you need help, get it. Don't be like me and act like it's not a big deal, especially if suicide has crossed your mind. Nobody really wants that, especially not your family, friends, and those close to you. Hopefully I will continue to have the strength to seek purpose in my life and reach all of those milestones without too many more hiccups. It's safe to say that aspiring to be a racing driver is about out of the picture, has been for a while, I just want to be happy, successful, and able to provide for my family both present and future.

Take care everyone, and remember, the will to live will always outweigh the ability to die.

Fact: The fact that people like to boast their ignore list only makes me very depressed.

Is the reason i avoid social medias. I felt very worthless there even though i tried yo be nice to people.

Fact: The fact that people like to boast their ignore list only makes me very depressed.

Is the reason i avoid social medias. I felt very worthless there even though i tried yo be nice to people.
Do like I do and just ignore social media.

I don't really know what it is like to have depression or be very depress to the point of considering suicide. There are moments that make me upset but I'm usually over them in an instant. I'm the kinda person who lets thing in the past be past and, accept those things happen and move on, always look at what is happening right at the very second and when it isn't so good, I look at the glass half full and glad that it'll be over. That might make me sound cold inside as I don't show any emotion anymore when it comes to tragic events but deep down, I care very much about what has happened but I, for some reason see no gain in being upset or depressed over things that happened in the past or on what other people think about me because at the end of the day, it is opinions.

However, I have an issue with whenever somebody else near me is depressed and even in the verge of suicide. While people try to calm them down and be happy, I can't help but be aggressive, especially when all the reasons they say don't make sense to me and even start yelling about how stupid the decision is to remove their own life and how ignorant they are for not thinking about what other people might feel, which probably makes it worse.

However, I have an issue with whenever somebody else near me is depressed and even in the verge of suicide. While people try to calm them down and be happy, I can't help but be aggressive, especially when all the reasons they say don't make sense to me and even start yelling about how stupid the decision is to remove their own life and how ignorant they are for not thinking about what other people might feel, which probably makes it worse.

Yeah, that wouldn't help. Whether or not you understand their reasons/circumstances is mostly irrelevant, If you don't understand depression it's too easy to say the wrong thing - besides which, not everyone has a reason to be depressed, they just are. A lot of people don't understand that.

edit:

reminds me of this... if people gave advice for physical injuries like they do for those suffering from depression...

a5dXoAq_700b_v1.jpg

If you don't understand depression it's too easy to say the wrong thing - besides which, not everyone has a reason to be depressed, they just are. A lot of people don't understand that.

This.

A lot of the time it's hard to even tell really, since for most it's just a severe lack of motivation rather than being sad all the time. Of course, then people just accuse you of being boring or lazy or just plain unsociable, so it's hard to really know how to properly let someone know how it actually is.

I have no idea but it makes me really angry to the point I have to unleash my rage. It really gets to me that someone is just throwing it all away and when they do that, completely ignore what is actual reality. It makes me think that they are being Selfish, Ignorant and if it is on a relationship standpoint, a cry for attention and it is something I cannot just not be mad about.

With respect, that really isn't the way to go about it.

A person with suicidal thoughts probably already feels like a burden, a waste of space and a terrible person, even if they haven't done anything to anybody. Having a go at them for even considering the idea will probably just reinforce those ideas in their head and exacerbate the situation.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a few people will have realised what a bad decision it was after they've been bluntly told, as it makes them realise there are people who care after al and grounds them back to 'normality' in a way. However, it may not always be the case.

It most definitely takes a lot of guts to admit to someone that they want to end it, especially to a friend or family member. What you see as a cry for attention is actually more likely a cry for help. They're having one (potentially final) shot at getting help. Even if you don't agree with why they want to or how bad it seems, it's worth stopping and showing at least empathy for them.

Last edited:
I don't think I can feel empathy towards it though. I don't know what it is like nor can I relate to anything that would make me feel empathy. I feel like there needs to be some logic I can understand behind it for me to feel it but I can't find any logic that I understand so it ends becoming Rage and Hatred. Especially if it from a relationship angle since I am an Asexual and an Aromantic.

As @MatskiMonk pointed out, there is no real reason a lot of the time. Depression is caused by a lack of happy hormones in the brain, and to cut a long story short, it basically means your mind isn't working right and you don't think straight.

Things just start to pile up and eventually the constant bad mood, irritability, stress, feeling of worthlessness and other issues take their toll and they can't take it.

I don't think I can feel empathy towards it though. I don't know what it is like nor can I relate to anything that would make me feel empathy. I feel like there needs to be some logic I can understand behind it for me to feel it but I can't find any logic that I understand so it ends becoming Rage and Hatred. Especially if it from a relationship angle since I am an Asexual and an Aromantic.

Sounds like you should be speaking to someone about emotional issues, lack of empathy replaced by anger or hatred is not healthy in itself, if it helps though, suicide is logical. Enduring personal torment to avoid making others sad is emotional, not logical.

Sounds like you should be speaking to someone about emotional issues, lack of empathy replaced by anger or hatred is not healthy in itself, if it helps though, suicide is logical. Enduring personal torment to avoid making others sad is emotional, not logical.
I do have empathy but I can't when it comes to suicide, the person loses all of reality and makes assumptions on what people think which drives them into the state of mind. The lack of actual reasoning is probably why I'm aggressive about it in the first place.

Usually when a person is enduring personal torment and try to hide it, it only makes things worse but the person is to warped to see how his actions are effecting people mentally, people know that something is wrong and it scares them and makes them sad when the person is being ignorant of his actions. I know this, because last year my best friend had these thoughts and actions, it hurt everybody. Everyone else was scared and in tears. It got me mad because his actions were bringing everyone down with him and he just couldn't see it, and yes this will make me look like a horrible friend.

the person loses all of reality and makes assumptions on what people think which drives them into the state of mind. The lack of actual reasoning is probably why I'm aggressive about it in the first place.

If that's the way you see it, then that's the way you see it, but I think you are generalising a lot. I think you've got a specific scenario in mind that doesn't apply to the majority of cases.

Where do you stand on assisted suicide for those with illnesses that dramatically degrade their quality of life?

I do have thoughts of suicide over the past. My parents are basically the worst parents i ever experieced. Plus my friends probably dont care and ive been friendzoned recently.

Been trying to do better at college. Its okay at the results but my parents says ITS NOT ENOUGH YOU SON OF 🤬 LIKE YOU ALWAYS BEEN! Trying to not caring about any of it since im technically an adult but i, just, cant.

Im also trying to be exist on my popularity chain. Impresses my closest friends but semmingly a failure overall.I felt like a worthlrss blob of existence.

Sorry for the anger.

If that's the way you see it, then that's the way you see it, but I think you are generalising a lot. I think you've got a specific scenario in mind that doesn't apply to the majority of cases.

Where do you stand on assisted suicide for those with illnesses that dramatically degrade their quality of life?
I actually think my anger would mostly go to the guy who assist it. He/she is not better than a murderer IMO.

I do have thoughts of suicide over the past. My parents are basically the worst parents i ever experieced. Plus my friends probably dont care and ive been friendzoned recently.

Been trying to do better at college. Its okay at the results but my parents says ITS NOT ENOUGH YOU SON OF 🤬 LIKE YOU ALWAYS BEEN! Trying to not caring about any of it since im technically an adult but i, just, cant.

Im also trying to be exist on my popularity chain. Impresses my closest friends but semmingly a failure overall.I felt like a worthlrss blob of existence.

Sorry for the anger.

Sounds like you are at that difficult stage in life called "late teens"?

Seriously, most people will admit that time can be tough, but it's something a lot of people go through. Handling parental expectations can be hard, getting good results at college can be hard, being friend-zoned can really be a kick in the heart, and struggling with popularity - well that's something that matters to some people I guess... seriously though, this is the time of your life when you find out what kind of person you might be, but you should judge yourself by your own expectations, not others - work hard at college to achieve good results FOR YOU - not your parents, do stuff that YOU think makes you a better person - not what you think will impress your friends. Life is much better when you like yourself than it is when it's just other people that like you.

I actually think my anger would mostly go to the guy who assist it. He/she is not better than a murderer IMO.

I'm sure you have your reasons for feeling the way you do, which I can respect, but I think you should judge things more on an individual basis, rather than having these feelings across the board towards anyone that can't handle life anymore. It sounds to me like you expect others to endure day in-day out pain, just to stop you from feeling bad.

Sounds like you are at that difficult stage in life called "late teens"?

Seriously, most people will admit that time can be tough, but it's something a lot of people go through. Handling parental expectations can be hard, getting good results at college can be hard, being friend-zoned can really be a kick in the heart, and struggling with popularity - well that's something that matters to some people I guess... seriously though, this is the time of your life when you find out what kind of person you might be, but you should judge yourself by your own expectations, not others - work hard at college to achieve good results FOR YOU - not your parents, do stuff that YOU think makes you a better person - not what you think will impress your friends. Life is much better when you like yourself than it is when it's just other people that like you.

I'm sure you have your reasons for feeling the way you do, which I can respect, but I think you should judge things more on an individual basis, rather than having these feelings across the board towards anyone that can't handle life anymore. It sounds to me like you expect others to endure day in-day out pain, just to stop you from feeling bad.
I think your missing apart of my other message. I get mad because it effects people in a huge negative way and that is what gets me mad about it, especially when the person can be so Ignorant and Selfish about it, ignoring everyones feelings about the situation but their own.

I've been through a lot like you guys but never been depressed. I've been very sad and upset in the past and present but I always prevent myself to become depressed by doing these.

1. Be always on top of everything. Dont let anything or anyone put you down or prevent you from being happy.
2. Stop talking to yourself. That voice in your head is the part of yourself that brought you in misery so why listen to it?
3. Look at the bright side of things. When bad things happen, I always make sure to make a good thing out of it.
4. Dont expect. Expectations always lead to disappoinment.
5. Stop dwelling on the past. Don't watch replays of events in your mind that makes you upset.
6. 🤬 happens. Accept it.
7. Excercise, eat, sleep regularly. Be healthy.
8. Seize the oppurtunity before you regret not doing it. Most of the time "this" is where my upsets come.
9. Try pet theraphy. Having an animal companion works. (for me)
10. Kill the part of yourself that's trying to kill your whole self.
11. There's a saying where I came from " The problem will only become a problem if you let it get into you" If its no big deal, forget it. If its, then address it quickly so it won't bite you in the butt and make you upset later.

Don't turn your back from the light and follow your shadow. Follow the light so the shadow will be behind you. I hope you guys get though. I hope this helps.

I get mad because it effects people in a huge negative way and that is what gets me mad about it, especially when the person can be so Ignorant and Selfish about it, ignoring everyones feelings about the situation but their own.

Again, I should stress that depression is down to chemical imbalances in the brain; as in, people aren't wired quite right. It may be selfish, but that's the thing - depressed people just don't care about anything, especially at the stage of self harming or suicide. And it's not because they're bad people or inherently selfish by nature. It's because they now lack the right frame of mind to even realise what they're doing is bad.

This is why it's been pointed out that raging at them is a very bad idea, especially calling them selfish or ignorant. They probably already think they're ignorant and selfish. Having someone shout it at them - let alone their friend or family member- will just hammer those ideas home and they will want to do it even more.

Again, I should stress that depression is down to chemical imbalances in the brain; as in, people aren't wired quite right. It may be selfish, but that's the thing - depressed people just don't care about anything, especially at the stage of self harming or suicide. And it's not because they're bad people or inherently selfish by nature. It's because they now lack the right frame of mind to even realise what they're doing is bad.

This is why it's been pointed out that raging at them is a very bad idea, especially calling them selfish or ignorant. They probably already think they're ignorant and selfish. Having someone shout it at them - let alone their friend or family member- will just hammer those ideas home and they will want to do it even more.
I wasn't trying to make my anger justified, as I already said in my first post of this thread it is an issue I have when it comes to being around people being depressed but rather I was just saying to MatskiMonk what I think is coming from it.

I've been through a lot like you guys but never been depressed. I've been very sad and upset in the past and present but I always prevent myself to become depressed by doing these.

1. Be always on top of everything. Dont let anything or anyone put you down or prevent you from being happy.
2. Stop talking to yourself. That voice in your head is the part of yourself that brought you in misery so why listen to it?
3. Look at the bright side of things. When bad things happen, I always make sure to make a good thing out of it.
5. Stop dwelling on the past. Don't watch replays of events in your mind that makes you upset.
6. 🤬 happens. Accept it.
8. Seize the oppurtunity before you regret not doing it. Most of the time "this" is where my upsets come.
11. There's a saying where I came from " The problem will only become a problem if you let it get into you" If its no big deal, forget it. If its, then address it quickly so it won't bite you in the butt and make you upset later.

Don't turn your back from the light and follow your shadow. Follow the light so the shadow will be behind you. I hope you guys get though. I hope this helps.

And where do they buy the magic wand that allows them to get up in the morning and do these things?

I mean it's sound advice for a healthy lifestyle, I don't disagree with any of the points... but it's like saying to a normal person, they can win an Olympic Gold medal for 100m sprint, all they have to do is run a little bit faster than Usain Bolt... easy... right? Well sure, it's easy to say.

And where do they buy the magic wand that allows them to get up in the morning and do these things?

I mean it's sound advice for a healthy lifestyle, I don't disagree with any of the points... but it's like saying to a normal person, they can win an Olympic Gold medal for 100m sprint, all they have to do is run a little bit faster than Usain Bolt... easy... right? Well sure, it's easy to say.
but your example comes from a comparison point. It isn't like he said "Look at the Bright Side of things more than the Happiest People in the world". I guess he is saying to at least attempt and take some thought into it.

6. 🤬 happens. Accept it.

Hmm yeah. But what about those people who reminds you of the future?

Im not too sociable in person (well doesnt mean i liked to be alone. But i sometimes feel kinda uncomfortable on a large crowd for a prolonged time). And yet as my life experience is telling me, the more social person gets the most privelages, regardless of the motivation or the competence or the morale. Example: Donald Trump.

Or anybody who likes to never live anything negative down. Or people who bertrayed you recently.

I tried doing anything to busy myself. Buts thats escapism, not coping. Thats not going to solve my existing problem. And solving it is a long stretch, a no win situation there.

@RESHIRAM5

And just forget about it? What? My future is there. As far as i compassionate with other people, im still a person. A person with a future, life, relationship (friends or lovers), and a bunch of planning. You cant help others if yourself is also on the same or even more depressing situation.

And "lack of reasoning"? Really? I think most of people depressed because of the personal problems. Personal is a really strong word there. People arent obligated to spread out their personal problems.

Kinda hard to answer that question :) But I'm quite a cold person IRL (people know me told me). Maybe that's why it worked for me. Though being cold gets me in trouble a "lot" of times but it always protected me from being depressed and from other things. Because things don't get into me that easily. Because most of the time, I don't care about things because I accept that you cant't control everything so I just chill out most of the time.

Hmm yeah. But what about those people who reminds you of the future?

Im not too sociable in person (well doesnt mean i liked to be alone. But i sometimes feel kinda uncomfortable on a large crowd for a prolonged time). And yet as my life experience is telling me, the more social person gets the most privelages, regardless of the motivation or the competence. Example: Donald Trump.

Or anybody who likes to never live anything negative down. Or people who bertrayed you recently.

I tried doing anything to busy myself. Buts thats escapism, not coping. Thats not going to solve my existing problem. And solving it is along stretch, a no win situation there.
I don't know what to say...Stop thinking too much?

I dont know. Im a warm person so im different than yours.

But the more depressing thing is when my closest friend gone involved. Im very tolerable to any people. But for my personal problems like "do my jokes unfunny?" or "am i kinda awkward?" i felt like im already hated by some people.

And the most depressing thing? Its on a FREAKING IRL AND GTP! I dont want to call names here. But the point here that im already being disadvantageous in my life overall. Some of my closest friends gone abroad. Some i tried to contact but they dont reply back anymore. (GTP does suffer for MANY closest GTP friends thats entertain me for a long time and got banned. Again not calling names.) And seeing my former friends are like that, IRL and otherwise, is literally made me depressed. And i think ITS TOO MANY OF THEM!

Its the main reason why about a month ago i got too much ranting and emotional here. Its like the universe has finally have a bridge between IRL and GTP. Its, unreal. Damn for some people who think im depressed because GT6 gets no updates. Why should i got emotionally attached into a freaking product?

I think i must have a nap...
Lighten up. Have you asked yourself if there's something's wrong with you why they're acting and treating you like that?

Lighten up. Have you asked yourself if there's something's wrong with you why they're acting and treating you like that?
I tried. Well things got better though.

Some i cant fix but i should probably forget about that and move on with my closest people i know and communicate.

I think some may because of the prejudice and over generalisation.

Back