Derek Speare Designs - Button Boxes - Shifters - Great Gear

• Thread starter derekspeare
  • 1,567 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about I toss in a free set of pedals too ? :) :) :P

HPIM1349.jpg

HPIM1350.jpg

These are heading into closed testing this week. The arms are 5/16" alloy steel. There are no pads on them, but there will be pads on them :P

d

How wide are the outside brackets? Outside to outside. I need 15 3/4" to make them fit my rig. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of CST's. But Todd has been a little slow with responding to me. Maybe it's a good thing.:nervous:

The pedals in the photo is my working preproduction prototype set. The finished version will be 13.750" from the outer sides of the shaft collars (the tips of the aluminum rod will be cut flush to the sides of the shaft collars and won't stick out).

I've also made the heel plate a bit deeper, so the production version will be about 1.5" longer in total, or about 19" in length.

My intentions are to take a limited number of orders beginning next month, and those will ship within 21 days of ordering. Due to the nature of this component, it's vital to take the care and time needed - and more - to ensure everything is deployed properly.

d

That's is amazing Derek, from several months back, when a lot of people were talking about various types of pedals and needed components and what it would take to succeed. You sort of grabbed the bull by the horns and put your nose to the grindstone if you will. :)

Kudos to you, not many people can do what you did in that amount of time.

***edit*** I asked you a few months back, before you had any CAD drawings if your pedals could be reverse mounted. Looking at them now I would say without significant modification that won't be possible.

That's is amazing Derek, from several months back, when a lot of people were talking about various types of pedals and needed components and what it would take to succeed. You sort of grabbed the bull by the horns and put your nose to the grindstone if you will. :)

Kudos to you, not many people can do what you did in that amount of time.

***edit*** I asked you a few months back, before you had any CAD drawings if your pedals could be reverse mounted. Looking at them now I would say without significant modification that won't be possible.

Thank you :) I've been working on various pedal designs for a year. I'm pleased with the development of the pedals. Maybe one day in the future I would offer an inverted set, but that would be quite a way out before I could look at it.

d

Yeah the pedals look incredible. And seeing as Fanatec is releasing their CSW wheel soon to compete with the higher end PC wheels its a growing segment. Wouldn't be a bad idea to include compatibility. But lets get them released first and worry about that later. ;)

Loving the sneek peek of the pedals...
Cool threaded pedal stems.

Might have to try an get my grubby little hands on a set.
Assuming they are in the $800-$1000

Question is with your expanding can you get the price even lower, using less margin but with more potential volume in sales?

Any chance of Fanatec compatibility with those pedals?

No chance - the system uses my proprietary circuit board and can't be adapted for connections to other device. It's a USB connection and the pedals need my board to function. See my comment below :)

Yeah the pedals look incredible. And seeing as Fanatec is releasing their CSW wheel soon to compete with the higher end PC wheels its a growing segment. Wouldn't be a bad idea to include compatibility. But lets get them released first and worry about that later. ;)

If Thomas wants to make his wheel compatible with my pedals, that's another matter ;) I don't think it will be the case, but who knows?

The pedals use my 12bit controller board with integrated load cell amp and variable gain. It's an advance system with expensive components making it up. I have a 30+ page thread on it at iRacing for those who know me from there :)

Loving the sneek peek of the pedals...
Cool threaded pedal stems.

Might have to try an get my grubby little hands on a set.
Assuming they are in the $800-$1000

Question is with your expanding can you get the price even lower, using less margin but with more potential volume in sales?

I don't have pricing. It's impossible to forecast it, and the price will be what it turns out to be. I can "sell" as many as I want today, but my intention is to make sure that there are zero issues and each customer has a perfect ownership experience. I'm never in a rush to release a component. Once ordering starts it has to be right.

d

NB - here are the links on iRacing's forums for those who are members:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1894993.page

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1837353.page

Got my bent rod GT shifter.

Nice product, solid well built. Good degree of tension for a pleasing feel. Maybe a little noisy in the metal to metal contact, so I may opt for a rubber piece on the column to reduce the clang sound. Other than that it seems really good.

LITjF.jpg

Thanks again Mr Speares.

Last edited:
@Mr Latte - glad the shifter has arrived;

@Mayanman - that's the knob yours will have. It's polished phenolic resin, hard as a rock with a threaded brass insert.

This is the one many have you have been waiting for!

Hi race fans,

I'm pleased to be giving away one of my Pro Sequential Shifters on June 3rd. This is the shifter so many are saying is the best found. To enter your name into the mix to win see this page on my site and follow the instructions:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/DSDFTW.html

HPIM1085.jpg

DSD FTW! GLA!

Thanks again to everyone who has made DSD what it is. I appreciate everyone's positive energy! :)

Got my DSD sequential today, and the thing is BRILLIANT! Quality is amazing. This is no toy people, things gotta weigh a couple pounds easy. And the action to change gears has a great feeling. Just quality all around. Derek also included a little goodie I can't talk about yet. :)

You should have a pretty hearty rig to attach it. Also the FastTrackSims DSD sequential mount is essential.

Thanks Derek for the superlative product. How do you lower or increase the tension?

Last edited:
Got my DSD sequential today, and the thing is BRILLIANT! Quality is amazing. This is no toy people, things gotta weigh a couple pounds easy. And the action to change gears has a great feeling. Just quality all around. Derek also included a little goodie I can't talk about yet. :)

You should have a pretty hearty rig to attach it. Also the FastTrackSims DSD sequential mount is essential.

Thanks Derek for the superlative product. How do you lower or increase the tension?

I'm pleased to hear all is in order 👍👍👍 The tension is fixed. In time it will feel lighter than it is...just don't use a friend's G25/27 shifter or you'll tear it apart ;)

@bigbembem - I will have more to announce about the pedals soon. I am laying in a supply of materials and planning for a few interesting things. More when I have it.

Derek, please let me know when the pre-orders for the pedals are due. I'm on board.

thanks

I'm still considering how the ordering will happen. I can't really say more on it, but most of the decisions I've need to make have been made.

On a different note, have you had a chance to see how the "extra" bit is working? :)

Thanks again for posting your thoughts on my Pro Sequential here. I consider it to be the best sim racing sequential shifter available! :gtpflag:

Cheers,

d

Would be great Derek if you can announce the approx price point of the pedals soon.
I've got a notion for the CST F1-3 and not sure how much longer I can wait.

Hi mate!
I still wait to sale one of my 2 G27 steering wheel then i will make the order for one of your button box!
I really don't wanto to spend too much so I will opt for this one:
0_0_0_0_250_202_csupload_31796712_large.jpg

Would be great Derek if you can announce the approx price point of the pedals soon.
I've got a notion for the CST F1-3 and not sure how much longer I can wait.

Not to say don't buy from Derek, but if you really want the CSTs I suggest you go ahead as there's a wait of around 3 months from ordering to fulfillment. Either way you'll end up waiting. :P

Monkey business:

Ok,

Some have been asking about inverted pedals. I took a bit of time to lay the parts out to make an inverted rack. I am considering it for the future. Other details about the pedals are now hush, hush. All I can say is to think about being ready. When the door opens, it won't be open long.

Cheers!

d

i1.jpg

i2-1.jpg

i4-1.jpg

d

Latte,

You could always order the cst's then sell them at the price you paid a few months later ;)

amf7
Latte,

You could always order the cst's then sell them at the price you paid a few months later ;)

If I'm going to lay down a grand for a set of pedals it will be DSD's. Customer service is the main concern IMHO. CST's have issues in relations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back