Derek Speare Designs - Button Boxes - Shifters - Great Gear

• Thread starter derekspeare
  • 1,567 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure of this has been asked.
But are the DSD button boxes compatible with PS4 and Project Cars?

Hi all,

Here's the DSD Vision for a stylish, sturdy and Made in America Sim Racing Chassis:

2702754.jpg

5076786.jpg

More details and photos are found here:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/dsd-american-chassis.html

The DSD American Chassis is proudly made in America by dedicated Americans who are as passionate about sim racing as you are!

couple of ideas/ suggestions:
- shifter should be left and right switchable, also up and down and back and forth adjustable
- wheel base/ platform, should also be adjustable in height, angle and also forward and backward movement
- same as above with pedals, should be height, angle and forwads and backward adjustable
- seat, should allow for some minor angularity (back and forth on rails)

Hi all,

Here's the DSD Vision for a stylish, sturdy and Made in America Sim Racing Chassis:

2702754.jpg

5076786.jpg

More details and photos are found here:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/dsd-american-chassis.html

The DSD American Chassis is proudly made in America by dedicated Americans who are as passionate about sim racing as you are!

Lovely design. Simple but effective. Looking for a rig like this myself. But it's a no-go unless they offer two mounts for the shifter. Not all cars/trucks have right-mounted shifters. If this is all about simulation, you got to do it right.

Hi Derek,

thank you for the nice gift you just sent me! Arrived at scheduled time!

This will not only enhance my new simulation rig but will before all accute my simulation racing experience as your great Blackmax has for about three years now!

IMG_4108[1].JPG IMG_4107[1].JPG

Derek Demos the HTC Vive!

Hi Friends,

The Microsoft Store in the Tampa Bay International Plaza is demoing the HTC Vive. I took this afternoon to make the journey to the mall and see for myself what the Vive offered. As an Oculus DK2 user who has had hundreds of hours and 18+ months of use, I have an informed - and hopefully not jaded - perspective when it comes to VR hardware.

The wait wasn't long, and folks can make preorders for the device in the store. The kids there, Samar, Haylee and Asher were great, and all of the MS Store folks are abundantly accommodating. DSD thanks them for welcoming me (and for minimal waiting!).

My specific goal for going was to see for myself how the image quality on the Vive compares to my own DK2. I didn't expect to be more than a moment, but once I put on the device I figured I should see what the demo offered. I knew right away the answer to my image quality question.

Candidly, I was disappointed. Anyone looking for a leap in image quality far better than the DK2 will feel the same. Unfortunately, the SDE is present and only incrementally "better" than the DK2, and if it's better at all, it's not by much. Be warned, there is SDE. Anyone who is expecting "minimal" SDE will be sorely let down. If the CV1 isn't much better than the Vive, then I will not have as much enthusiasm for the first gen of VR hardware...though I will still use my own CV1 when it comes!

So here are my brief observations:

SDE: Yes, it's there. Not much better than the DK2. You especially see it when "focusing" on objects on the horizon. It's somewhat better, but I was expecting "much" better. I was disappointed there.

Comfort: Maybe I am used the DK2. I found the Vive to be uncomfortable. The DK2 is easier to adjust and the strap fits me better. Possibly I didn't have enough time to get it adjusted properly.

Hand Controllers: I was pleasantly surprised with these! Actually, they are quite cool. I never really thought much of them, but you "see" them in the VR space, and the way you interact with them is very, very well done. You have to see them in VR to really see this.

Roomspace: I'm not interested in standing and moving. My focus is on seat VR with racing and flying my only interests. I can see how those who want other games will like it. It's unique, but nothing relevant for my interest.

FOV: Since I didn't make a mental note to look for this, I didn't examine it in detail. I didn't notice anything "wow", so I'd guess it to be adequate.

Anyhow, these are my own observations. I cannot speak for anyone by myself, but it's not for me. I'd not pay 800 to replace my DK2 with it. That's a no-go.

Note that my intention is not to start a battle over the Vive v Oculus. Get what you want, and that's not my business. ANY VR headset (DK2, Vive, CV1) is light years better than NO VR headset. Since I have a perspective on VR and sims, I figured my fair assessment of this one might be of interest to some.

And some photos!

20160423_151946.jpg

20160423_152538.jpg

:gtpflag:

Very nice! One of those would match my new wood wheel and shifter nicely.

Is that real burl wood by chance?

So I just received my order, it shipped very fast. Considering its a prototype its actually very nice and tidy, only a tiny bit of light scratches on the side, nothing I'm worried about (the front is pristine). I really like that DSD is passing on a really fair deal to the consumer for a prototype. Its a win win, I get a cool new button box that looks sharp and DSD gets some R&D out of it.

Heres a few shots of the new box and my other matching wood gear.

IMG_00731_zpsitrllruo.jpg

P2WD button box

IMG_00791_zpseddnbzu8.jpg

Nardi wheel, new button box, and my own handmade shift knob

IMG_00881_zpskm0g0njr.jpg

IMG_00691_zpsowjuyoij.jpg

My growing shift knob collection, I made all the wood knobs

Now all I need is some tweed racing gloves, just kidding

Thank you Derek!

Oh and one thing I noticed when I was checking that all the buttons work was that the box identifies itself as my other box (its unplugged), so it comes up as a black max 2. This is actually perfect as I may switch boxes and not having to remap the box should be handy. I imagine you will name them when and if they become regular offerings. anyway just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I had the opportunity to demo the Oculus Rift CV1 today at an area Best Buy. Some may have read my impressions of the Vive here:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...fters-great-gear.251084/page-48#post-11338180

As a DK2 user for almost two years I believe I have an informed perspective on VR use in general. I can say that my feelings on the Oculus are much more enthusiastic than how I felt about the Vive. It's not my intention to make this a comparison about the two, but it's really impossible to speak of one without thinking on the other. Anyhow, here are my impressions:

• SDE - it's evident if you're looking, but much better than the DK2 as well as the Vive
  • "God Rays" - I really looked for this, but saw nothing at all
  • Comfort - It could be more comfortable, but there was a hygene face gasket which may have caused some positional imbalance on my face. It's very light, stylish. The Vive is bulky and uncomfortable. I thought the strap would bother me, but I didn't even notice it
  • Tracking - perfect
I wanted to see for myself if I should keep the DK2 and wait for a hypothetical CV2 or keep my order due in June. I came away enthusiastic about it, and while there are some limitations with the SDE (I am a SDE Snob), the CV1 is marked advancement over the DK2. The Vive on the other hand seems more of a slightly improved lateral move to me.

Surely each man should get what he feels is best! The Oculus offers the balance for me, and be assured that if you're getting either, you will enjoy it. You will see a good improvement, especially if you're going from a DK2 to the CV1.

VR is here and we're fortunate to have it!

Happy racing!

d

20160514_150905.jpg

20160514_150656a.jpg

★ ⚑ DSD FTW! Win the DSD Boss Wood! ★ ⚑

Say it with a smile on your face...

It's about time for another uber popular DSD FTW! Here's the first DSD Boss Wood and you can get in it to win it!

IMG_1948.jpg

It's a DSD Track Boss with Wood! We're pleased to award this to someone on Friday, May 20th at 8pm EDTUS. Winner will be notified by email and your name will be announced here.

To win this great button controller, hit up the DSD Site and get in it to win it! It could be YOU!

You will also find some in stock devices ready to ship on the following page:

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/in-stock-now.html

Thanks for participating - GLA and DSD FTW!

d

Here's some entertainment for you to get you in the celebratory mood:

Greetings,

There's some interest in components of use to the DIY man. We plan to release very *soon* several components that can be easily connected to our electronics (or others). If you're wanting ready-to-connect encoders, rotary switches, "Funky Switches" and 4 way pot sticks, we will have them.

Here are some photos - first one is the "Fam" and the second is the "Funky Switch"

20160210_144125.jpg

chunk1.jpg

We've made these components fool proof by doing all of the designing and soldering for you. Each component is mounted to our proprietary breakout board to make connections a snap. We solder the pin headers and supply jumper wires to connect to any controller with headers like our retail electronics have. You get the knobs, too, and the 4-way pot and the Funky Switch also include our proprietary knobs designed and made specifically for these components (no other knobs exist).

The lineup is specifically as follows:

• "Funky Switch" - 2-way encoder with pushbutton and integrated 4-way stick

• 4-Way Pot Stick - A miniature analogue joystick with integrated pushbutton

• 2-Way Encoder with Pushbutton

• 12-Position Rotary Swtich

We plan to release these on the DSD Site by June 1st. The DSD Site will have CLEAR WIRING DIAGRAMS. All components will be shipped ready to use. Just follow our instructions to the letter and you can connect and go in 5 minutes. Pricing: These will be fairly priced, but not cheap. These components are not inexpensive to acquire or assemble.

I developed these for those who want to paint it their way but are faced with the difficulties of using these popular components in their raw, out of the bag states. All the guesswork has been removed!

Check the DSD Site by June 1st and you'll find them!

d

EDIT: Here are the dimensions and diagrams. A Printable PDF is attached.

DSD%20Component%20Assemblies%20-%20Dimensions%20and%20Connections.png

Got a surprise this morning. My 2015 DSD Pro Sequential Shifter came 17 days from the initial order which I wasn't expecting :lol:

Congrats to Derek for supplying a great product

Here's how I mounted it.
IMG_20160614_141942.jpg
IMG_20160614_142005.jpg
IMG_20160614_142031.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back