Design an F1 track competition-New LONG round up!

• Thread starter waggles
  • 224 comments
HELSINKI CITY GP 2010

This is my entry. It's located in my hometown and the capital of Finland, Helsinki.
helsinkilong2.jpg

And a Google Earth model of it to show you how HUGE it is:
helsinkilong.jpg

It's roughly 11km or 7mi long and super quick. The Thunder and the Curve are, however, very narrow and slow corners, because they are located near the city center. The rest of the track is mostly made up of expressways and highways, where you can really put the pedal to the metal. It also has three chicanes, all of them different.

An F1 Grand Prix would be 28 laps.

Here is my attempt at a GP track.

Castillo De San Marcos Gran Prix track
St. Augustine, Florida. Oldest city in the United States, founded by Pedro Menendez in 1565, nice little place to go visit. Most of the city sections and around the harbor would be narrow like Monaco, the section passing the Castillo De San Marcos (Near pitlane, after the start by the bridge of lions.) would be fast and wide, as well as the back section esses.

This would be looking south, towards the start finish/pitlane, this is the Castillo De San Marcos.
castillo-de-san-marcos.jpg

The circuit is just over 8km or 5mi long.

Race length 39 laps. (200 Miles?)

Satellite
CastilloDeSanMarcosGranPrix.jpg

My not quite to scale MS Paint freehand
CastilloDeSanMarcosGranPrix2.jpg

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
At 35 miles the Belfastring incorporates a mixture of city, country and parkland driving. Some sections of the course are already used for motorsports events such as the 2007 WRC Stormont Super Special stag, the Craigantlet hillclimb and the Lagan Loop F1 track.
Due to the track's length only 8 laps will be required to cover race distance.

paint.jpg

earth.jpg

Last edited:
I present to you - the "Fosse Fury"

fossefury.png

For greater detail - I thought that I would simply link the Google maps linkage for this one - to be simpler...

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=stow+on+the+wold&daddr=Moore+Rd+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:cirencester+to:51.718946,-1.971445+to:The+Whiteway+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Unknown+road+to:Buckle+St+to:stow+on+the+wold&hl=en&geocode=%3BFYO2FwMdAjHl_w%3BFfXyFgMdcEnk_w%3BFdDRFgMdpd_j_w%3B%3B%3BFatUFQMdaxDi_w%3BFX9QFgMdhofi_w%3BFdKbFgMdizvj_w%3BFbrIFgMdkqrj_w%3BFYhXGAMdgjDk_w%3BFQipGQMdTgDk_w%3B&mra=dpe&mrcr=1&mrsp=5&sz=16&via=1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11&sll=51.717644,-1.966424&sspn=0.013467,0.013754&ie=UTF8&ll=51.84808,-1.82991&spn=0.429687,0.44014&z=11

Essentially - it comprises most of my route to work - the "cross" isn't actually a cross - it's just a place where one track goes one way and the other goes another...

The start location (and pits) would be in "Stow on the wold".

The main components are the Fosse Way (A429) - which is an old Roman Road (Turned into a road)

The main exciting bit about this - is that there are countless changes of elevation (not really visible on the map) - and despite it's "straightness" there are lots of good unsighted turns...

Due to the sheer length (57.5 miles) of this beast I believe it would only be 5 laps (300 Miles = Race length?)

I enjoy this road to work everyday - on a good day - the main parts of this can take less than 30 mins (in a road car)
(http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=A44&daddr=A429%2FStow+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FZznGQMd4CLk_w%3BFXJDFQMdyFXi_w&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&sll=51.723891,-1.948185&sspn=0.053859,0.055017&ie=UTF8&ll=51.877763,-1.814804&spn=0.429404,0.44014&z=11)

The offshoot to the left on the last quarter of the lap is an "alternative" route home for if there is heavy traffic...

The offshoot to the right at the start of the lap is to ensure that there is no reuse of the race course.

C.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Here's my attempt. I aint any architect or technical designer. This is purely an imaginary design. I used MS Paint to design this.

The newly designed buildings in shanghai and abu dhabi inspired me to come up a design of my own. A building shaped as a F1 car and track passing under it, the pit garage is designed as the front wing of an F1 car.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1383/myf1track.jpg

Have a look and please comment. Please try to describe and analyse it critically.

Regards.

I think the overall design is a great idea. I especially like the track layout, well designed IMO. Can you post the track length? This round the tracks are supposed to be longer than Spa which is just over 4Km in length. Is the track extremely wide, or is it just a shorter track?

It looks like you put a lot of thought and work into it, very nice.

PS: This is my first post, so please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong!

I designed a racetrack in my homeland, Malé (Capital of the Maldives). The track is named MaléRing and is a long circuit with one lap lasting nearly 10km. The circuit is made mostly up of sharp, mid-speed turns, but has some long straights with fast corners. I set up a pit area in an (almost)empty plot of land. The road surface is extremely bumpy, and lacks some grip as it is made up of concete stones. Most of the streets are also narrow one-ways, so overtaking is difficult, if not, impossible in some places. See this photo for a typical example:

male3.jpg

Here is the island of Malé (photo from Google Earth)
male.jpg

And here is the course
malering.jpg

This is the full diagram of the course.
maleringlayout.jpg

I still have many other courses created and will shoe them one-by-one.

I'll submit an entry here, but here's the thing - I think the rule of having to submit three separate versions is way to complex. And too difficult if you don't have Photoshop. So here it is, the single version. If you can't tell what it looks like from, this, you need your eyes checked out. I seem to recall the theme being the longest possible circuit, so enjoy this forty-kilometre epic in Kaliningrad:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3351107

Ooh! I'd like to make a Hong Kong circuit. One that will bully the Singapore GP into submission. Watch this space...

Rue
Ooh! I'd like to make a Hong Kong circuit. One that will bully the Singapore GP into submission. Watch this space...

Also...

PS: This is my first post, so please tell me if I'm doing anything wrong!

I designed a racetrack in my homeland, Malé (Capital of the Maldives). The track is named MaléRing and is a long circuit with one lap lasting nearly 10km. The circuit is made mostly up of sharp, mid-speed turns, but has some long straights with fast corners. I set up a pit area in an (almost)empty plot of land. The road surface is extremely bumpy, and lacks some grip as it is made up of concete stones. Most of the streets are also narrow one-ways, so overtaking is difficult, if not, impossible in some places. See this photo for a typical example:

I went to the Maldives in the mid 90's. The most beautiful place I have ever been to (alongside the Seychelles) I commend you for designing a track there and urge Bernie to get the ball rolling on that asap!

Rue
Also...

I went to the Maldives in the mid 90's. The most beautiful place I have ever been to (alongside the Seychelles) I commend you for designing a track there and urge Bernie to get the ball rolling on that asap!

Thanks!

Ok, now for my second track, located in the nearby artificial island of Hulhumalé. The Hulhumalé Speedway has two configurations, the short 6.5km course for F1 and a longer 7.42km course for other events. The track surface is completely asphalt, and the roads aren't used heavily, so the track bumpiness is moderate. The roads are very wide as well, so overtaking is not a big issue.

This is the island
hulhumale.jpg

This is the track on the island (The blue line at the bottom represents 1km)
hulhumalespeedway.jpg

Here is the full diagram
hulhumalespeedwaylayout.jpg

And now for some photos of the real areas
hml.jpg This is a section of the long start/finish straight

hml3.jpg That is the land for the pit area, just before the 'Enme Kolhu' hairpin. (The straight is visible at the bottom)

hml2.jpg This is the back straight with the exit of the ferry turns visible on the left.

In my opinion, the most challenging corners would be the All-out harbour Corner (A very fast right-hander) and the Roundabout 270 (Very long 270-degree sweeping turn)

Ok guys n' gals, now for my star circuit: The Hulhulé Rushdown! This is an extremely long course, built on the main airport of the Maldives! The track measures a very long 11.34km, and uses the main apron as the pit area. The track surface ranges from the concrete blocks and asphalt used on the runway to concrete stones like the MaléRing, and hence ranges from ultra-smooth to a massaging chair! This circuit can be used for 24 hour events! Problem is that during the race time, all flights must be redirected to Gan International Airport in the South, and passengers must be flown in by seaplane from there, but hey, hosting a 24hour race should raise more money that the flights themselves:D

This is the island of Hulhulé (Malé International Airport)
hulhule.jpg

And the track on the airport (The Runway measures 3.2km from end-end)
hulhulerush.jpg

And finally, the track layout
hulhulerushdownlayout.jpg

The track is compliant with current FIA regulations (No straight is longer than 2km).

In my opinion, the mst challenging corners would be:
1. 36 South End, 18 North End and Maintenance Turn: All are long sweeping corners.
2. Speedy Right: Almost equivalent to the famous Blanchimont!
3. Seaside and Harbour Entry: Very fast successive corners
4. Obstructione: A very fearsome kink in the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Ok, now for my second track, located in the nearby artificial island of Hulhumalé. The Hulhumalé Speedway has two configurations, the short 6.5km course for F1 and a longer 7.42km course for other events. The track surface is completely asphalt, and the roads aren't used heavily, so the track bumpiness is moderate. The roads are very wide as well, so overtaking is not a big issue.

This is the island
View attachment 70834

This is the track on the island (The blue line at the bottom represents 1km)
View attachment 70835

Here is the full diagram
View attachment 70836

And now for some photos of the real areas
View attachment 70839 This is a section of the long start/finish straight

View attachment 70838 That is the land for the pit area, just before the 'Enme Kolhu' hairpin. (The straight is visible at the bottom)

View attachment 70837 This is the back straight with the exit of the ferry turns visible on the left.

In my opinion, the most challenging corners would be the All-out harbour Corner (A very fast right-hander) and the Roundabout 270 (Very long 270-degree sweeping turn)

Ok guys n' gals, now for my star circuit: The Hulhulé Rushdown! This is an extremely long course, built on the main airport of the Maldives! The track measures a very long 11.34km, and uses the main apron as the pit area. The track surface ranges from the concrete blocks and asphalt used on the runway to concrete stones like the MaléRing, and hence ranges from ultra-smooth to a massaging chair! This circuit can be used for 24 hour events! Problem is that during the race time, all flights must be redirected to Gan International Airport in the South, and passengers must be flown in by seaplane from there, but hey, hosting a 24hour race should raise more money that the flights themselves:D

This is the island of Hulhulé (Malé International Airport)
View attachment 70840

And the track on the airport (The Runway measures 3.2km from end-end)
View attachment 70841

And finally, the track layout
View attachment 70844

The track is compliant with current FIA regulations (No straight is longer than 2km).

In my opinion, the mst challenging corners would be:
1. 36 South End, 18 North End and Maintenance Turn: All are long sweeping corners.
2. Speedy Right: Almost equivalent to the famous Blanchimont!
3. Seaside and Harbour Entry: Very fast successive corners
4. Obstructione: A very fearsome kink in the track.

Both of those tracks look awesome man

I haven't put much into the description but here is my idea for a Hong Kong street circuit F1 track (I put the wrong number for the number of turns).

hkracetrack2.jpg

Thanks you guys!

Rue
I haven't put much into the description but here is my idea for a Hong Kong street circuit F1 track (I put the wrong number for the number of turns).

Image from previous post

Nice Track! I love the turn after the start/finish straight, and the loopy section (Causeway Marina??)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing the old comp is irrelevant now.

For now, and for eight weeks, the following comp is big:

THE WHOLE PACKAGE

Imagine you are pitching a circuit package to Bernie Ecclestone-ready for a race, in a country of your choice that has NOT held a Formula One Grand Prix, in 2014-imagine that I am Bernie. (Any attempts to remove me from my position of power will have 5 points taken out of their voting.)

You need to prove to me why your circuit should be the one I choose.

I want the following things, preferably presented in a PDF, however a nice image file will also suffice:

• Track layout
  • Track Details
  • Garage/paddock space
  • Facilities
  • Hospitality
  • Environment
  • Safety
  • Anything else? Good for you. Include it.

Each should take up approximately a page.

If you aren't very good at graphic design, I only need a basic outline in words, accompanied with an image of some description. The better you are in this area, the better you'll score.

If you can somehow get a version made up in rfactor in that time, consider 15 bonus points immediately.

As I said, you will have eight weeks.

Presentation, unlike before, is also key. See if you can work out what I like, and make gentle references.

I am the sole judge. I will judge on the following criteria:

Presentation: /10
Effort: /10
Track: /10
Detail: /10
Personal weighting: /5

Total: /45

You have four weeks.

GO

Last edited:
Rue

hkracetrack2.jpg

Awesome track man, this could possibilty be a F1 track

imagine that I am Bernie.

So you're short, stumpy, grey haired, have no clue what you are on about and fall to the pressure of Eddie Jordan's questioning?

Okay, lets have a go:

2014 Greek Grand Prix
from the
Piraeus Harbour Street Street Circuit

Laps: 50
Length: 6.25km
Turns: 22
Direction: Anti-Clockwise

athens.jpg

68134905.jpg

Turn 1: a high-speed right-hand kick that opens up onto the longest straight of the circuit.

76293651.jpg

Turn 2: a deceptively-simple left-hander; the blind turn-in and run-off on the outside of the corner make it seem further away than it really is. The first real passing opportunity.

67935228.jpg

Turn 3: a sweeping right-hander that feels like it gets narrower that it really is.
Turn 4: another left, this one at the end of the rows of buildings; looks easy, but is vital for the next corner.

53042496.jpg

Turn 5: appears to be a gentle left-hander, but the cars tend to behave as if caught in a large magnetic field when take at speed.

65473780.jpg

Turn 6: tightening-radius left with no margin for error on the outside. Unusual placement of the turn means that drivers will be off-lin going into Turn 7, an uneven right-hand hairpin. Drivers must sacrfice the apex to one of these corners in order to get the ideal line though the other. Second real overtaking point.

73372658.jpg

Turn 8: double-apex left-hander that opens out as it goes.

98073717.jpg

Turns 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and Turn 14: snake-like section remniscent of Maggotts, Becketts and Chapel at Silverstone. No run-off, no room for error.

t15.jpg

Turn 15: easy right-hand flick.
Turn 16: less-easy left-hander that kicks like a mule.

t17s.jpg

Turn 17: unusual corner; three apexes, but only the first and last are touched by the cars.
Turn 18: left-hander immediately after Turn 17. Difficult as the drivers will actually have positioned the cars for the exit of the corner befoe they are even in it.

t19a.jpg

Turn 19: very long double-apex left.

t20.jpg

Turn 20: most difficult corner on the course; uneven surface, narrow entry and constantly-changing radius.

t21.jpg

Turn 21: ninety-degree left.

t22t.jpg

Turn 22: ninety-degree left onto Start/Finish Straight.​

(Work in Progress)

Last edited:
Agreed, we finally had enough entries for the last round, remember how long that took? There is no reason to make the old round irrelevant unless you just have lost interest in it.

or if you're allowing new entrants, give us some more time than just 4 weeks as I bet a few people who would want to enter this might not be able to with the time constraints near Xmas and final exams for those in college.

Back