DFGT and RWD problems - Need Drifting Tips

• Thread starter s15specr
  • 151 comments
ok am at eiger with a stock tuned cappi with n2's and surprise surprise am spinning every corner. Am spinning highside(torwards the inside of the corner) while countersteering. Now according to everyone if countersteering it should spin torwards the outside, but as i've said again and again, the laws of drifting play no part in me trying to drift. why is this???????

First, try N1s so you don't spin out that easily. 2nd, either you weren't countersteering too much or you gave too much throttle.

too much tottle am guessing. when going into the drift do you put it on full thottle until the car enters the drift then reduce the amount of thottle while quickly countersteering?, thanks

too much tottle am guessing. when going into the drift do you put it on full thottle until the car enters the drift then reduce the amount of thottle while quickly countersteering?, thanks

Well, with practice I just noticed the easiest way for me is go into the drift with no throttle at all, or minimal, countersteer and when I have the desired angle I just floor it and adjust the countersteer accordingly. But that may be too much for someone just starting with a wheel. Keep also in mind that the angle of your front wheels should be the same as if you were grip racing. Thats how you know how much to countersteer.

when adjusting the countersteer do you turn the wheel more to the corner dirction then countersteer direction back and forth the keep the balance?

So again when entering the drift are you supposed to do it smoothly then use the wheel, pedel to balance it? if so, i think i've been trying to enter the drift to sudden with to much thottle which would explain why am spinning

So again when entering the drift are you supposed to do it smoothly then use the wheel, pedel to balance it? if so, i think i've been trying to enter the drift to sudden with to much thottle which would explain why am spinning

When I enter the drift I do it smoothly with barely any throttle.

s15 you need to find out the feel of the car. Here is a good practice to find out why you spin: First go in a corner and start a drift as you would normally, when your car is going side way but if you feel like it going to spin out "let go" of the wheel and you gas pedal immediately then catch the wheel to stop the car from spinning. With practice you will eventually feel when you catch the wheel to make it stop spin.

As a beginner I recommend you do the 3 practices the DK mentioned in his drift bible until you can master them well before trying to drift. If you didn't watch that part here are the 3 practices for beginners:
1. Try to do 180 turn and the most important part of this training is to stop your car in the opposite direction straight not to the left not to the right a bit.
2. When you can master that perfectly time to do 90 turn.
3. When you can do those 2 turns at will you should have the feel of getting the car to slide and when to stop sliding it is time to do the 360 turn, this here is in no way spinning the car back to original direction but is to make a turn in small circle(a donut) with countersteer.
The 3rd practice is the one that help you to actually feel what make your car will slide and how much to countersteer need to keep the angle and slide.

Hope that help you o.o I am also a beginner learner with the driving wheel. Also in drifting you gotta know the tracks, you gotta know the best driving line, the best entering speed. With the same setting on your car for drifting drive around the track 2-3 times without spinning out or understeer and maintain a decent time. That should help you when you drift too.

s15 you need to find out the feel of the car. Here is a good practice to find out why you spin: First go in a corner and start a drift as you would normally, when your car is going side way but if you feel like it going to spin out "let go" of the wheel and you gas pedal immediately then catch the wheel to stop the car from spinning. With practice you will eventually feel when you catch the wheel to make it stop spin.

As a beginner I recommend you do the 3 practices the DK mentioned in his drift bible until you can master them well before trying to drift. If you didn't watch that part here are the 3 practices for beginners:
1. Try to do 180 turn and the most important part of this training is to stop your car in the opposite direction straight not to the left not to the right a bit.
2. When you can master that perfectly time to do 90 turn.
3. When you can do those 2 turns at will you should have the feel of getting the car to slide and when to stop sliding it is time to do the 360 turn, this here is in no way spinning the car back to original direction but is to make a turn in small circle(a donut) with countersteer.
The 3rd practice is the one that help you to actually feel what make your car will slide and how much to countersteer need to keep the angle and slide.

Hope that help you o.o I am also a beginner learner with the driving wheel. Also in drifting you gotta know the tracks, you gotta know the best driving line, the best entering speed. With the same setting on your car for drifting drive around the track 2-3 times without spinning out or understeer and maintain a decent time. That should help you when you drift too.

That's a really good advice for a real car, but rather useless for video games IMO.

Ok i've been tryin again today and i feel ave improved a little bit. Just to clear things up do you countersteer while having little thottle on then increase the amount of thottle??

Ok i've been tryin again today and i feel ave improved a little bit. Just to clear things up do you countersteer while having little thottle on then increase the amount of thottle??

I increase the throttle as I increasing my countersteering angle to keep it balanced. If I don';t increase throttle, the car is gonna snap back and spin out on the outside.

I increase the throttle as I increasing my countersteering angle to keep it balanced. If I don';t increase throttle, the car is gonna snap back and spin out on the outside.

yeah and if you use to much thottle the car spins. So basicly you've just got to get the counter steer amount, thottle amount right and once you learn to do that easy.

One more question, how to you leave the drift?

yeah and if you use to much thottle the car spins. So basicly you've just got to get the counter steer amount, thottle amount right and once you learn to do that easy.

One more question, how to you leave the drift?

I just adjust my angle till it's straight...don't really know how to explain it. You know how I told how how the angle of your front wheels should be the same as if you were grip racing, well keep doing that, which means as you leave countersteer less and less until your wheel is straight.

I just adjust my angle till it's straight...don't really know how to explain it. You know how I told how how the angle of your front wheels should be the same as if you were grip racing, well keep doing that, which means as you leave countersteer less and less until your wheel is straight.

Ok thanks. You've been a great help. I will have some new questions in the future probaly but i think now i fully know what to and now it'ill been practice. i've been practicing on N1's on fuji gt with the 350Z(wonderful car) and like i said earlyer i feel am improving but only a little bit. I will post some videos so you guy can tell me were am going right and wrong. Cheers.

Ok thanks. You've been a great help. I will have some new questions in the future probaly but i think now i fully know what to and now it'ill been practice. i've been practicing on N1's on fuji gt with the 350Z(wonderful car) and like i said earlyer i feel am improving but only a little bit. I will post some videos so you guy can tell me were am going right and wrong. Cheers.

Good to know I helped :) I just can't let someone quit drifting...I'll have nightmares:yuck:

Well, i went for a few laps around suzuka in my 350Z (stock) with S2's and only a few times but it's an improvement, i corrected a few slides! I also feel my reaction time has got better too. Plus i was racing online 650pp with Z on R3 tyres and i corrected a slide with full counter steer.

i was racing online 650pp with Z on R3 tyres and i corrected a slide with full counter steer.

I was busy doing the same with the M3 last night and the NSX-R it was a lot of fun although i did make a few mistake's.

I was busy doing the same with the M3 last night and the NSX-R it was a lot of fun although i did make a few mistake's.

Yeah it was great fun. The NSX-R, how can anyone control that thing?

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back