DFGT mod

• Thread starter b1landboy
  • 77 comments
b1landboy
Hi, does anybody know if it is possible to change the paddle shifters on the DFGT? (to make them more like G25 paddles).Sorry if this has been asked before i couldnt find previous thread.

Of course you can - anything is possible within physical boundaries and knowledge!

If I remember from the DFP, they are more like buttons, right? So, it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate a metal bracket that fixes to the button, extends up a bit and then bends 90 degrees out towards the edge of the wheel, flaring out to a paddle shape.

Failing that, just buy a Logitech G25/G27, take the paddles off that and stick them...oh wait... ;)

If you look in the Cheap Cockpit thread someone has fabricated some out of sheet metal and hose clamped them onto the wheel...a bit hard to explain but the link's underneath so you can see it for yourself.

EDIT: Turns out his images have been deleted off photobucket... Below are some of his images which I saved a while back.

DFGTshowingthehomemadeF1styleshiftp.jpg

DFGTshowingthehomemadeF1paddles.jpg

Hope this helps, Cougar23 :)

Hi, does anybody know if it is possible to change the paddle shifters on the DFGT? (to make them more like G25 paddles).

Yes it is possible and you have to use your imagination…

Here is my solution and I’ll be happy to show you how to do it but you still need some (do it your self) skills, otherwise it could end by damaging your wheel…

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC08526.jpg
    DSC08526.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 15,614
  • DSC08527.jpg
    DSC08527.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 15,300
Yeah there more like buttons,im occasionaly missing gear shifts while turning on higher lock corners.I guess i could have a go ,but with my skills i may blow it up!lol. any ideas which sort of company could do this? cheers tokyo.

Thanks very much Cougar for your help.

Mars also thanks for that i wish you lived in england i could of sent it to you ,and paid you for doing it!! lol

Mars also thanks for that i wish you lived in england i could of sent it to you ,and paid you for doing it!! lol

No problem, I would do it for free.
In fact it is very easy to construct this mode. My only concern is if you can properly attach the new shift paddles to the small plastic DFGT shift buttons, without causing any harm.
I used small wood screws to attach them (maybe you could use glue…).
Any way, as soon as I will find some spare time, I will show you with photos how to built this and you will figure out :idea:if you can do it your self. (The paddles are made from Hardboard)

Mars you are very kind! however i dont think i could cope not using my wheel for any longer than a day! but thanks for that kind offer.I will await your instructions and take it from there.No rush though,whenever you get time will do.:)👍

Ok. This is what you need to start :

This pattern (print in actual size)(I prefer the longer ones) :

attachment.php

Those tools and materials:

attachment.php

And those photos to help you…:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DFGT_paddles_print.pdf
    28.4 KB · Views: 19,558
  • DSC08584.jpg
    DSC08584.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 15,215
  • DSC08587.jpg
    DSC08587.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 14,931
  • DSC08589-m.jpg
    DSC08589-m.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 14,982
  • DSC08552.jpg
    DSC08552.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 14,891
  • DSC08549.jpg
    DSC08549.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 14,890
  • DSC08555.jpg
    DSC08555.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 14,918
Last edited:
Wow!! you are a star!! i will begin this at weekend.Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. i will be in touch soon.:):)

Wow!! you are a star!! i will begin this at weekend.Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. i will be in touch soon.:):)

You are welcome!:cheers:

If you are going to use screws make sure they are shorter than 2.1-2.2 cm (i think 0.87 in).

Just digging up a thread,
as is common knowledge, the DFGT paddle/ buttone are a terrible design.

So, I'm going to do the paddle mod to my new DFGT wheel, using the first example shown as a guide.
I was also thinking of using a damped-spring setup to add a little more progressive/ realistic feel and travel, which should also help to minimise any excessive forces on the plastic tabs from over-zealous shifting.

It will be a completely removable setup (hose-clap around the "boss" of the wheel) to avoid any warranty issues should the wheel give me issues.

Also, is it normal for the DFGT brake pedal to make a "clunk" sound after you've moved the pedal slightly (1/2") ?

Hmm, this is a great idea. I have my old G25 wheel that is just sitting in the garage, maybe I'll try and replace the current DFGT shifters with the G25 ones 👍 Time to go troll the 'net (and GTP) for steps!

Jerome

How thick are the aluminium paddles on the Fanatec wheels?
I have a good template for my design and also a few options with regards to thickness.
i'd like them to be super-sturdy, but that would also mean some design issues with less flexibility in the thicker material

thanks

EDIT:
Further to the above mod.

has anyone had the DFGT apart sufficiently and been able to identify if you can rig up an external switch to one of the wheel buttons (L3/ R3 would be good) for use with a real handbrake?

Last edited:
I bought these today from Fanatec, they should work, even if I have to modify them, they should work.

Clubsport Shifter Paddles

2010-04-20194914-1.jpg

So my Clubsport Shifter Paddles arrived, and I just finished screwing them onto my DFGT. I used the aluminum spacer blocks that came with the paddles, but I had to turn them lengthwise, and drill another hole through the paddles and blocks. I used the supplied screws, and found a couple in my stash to help stabilize the blocks.

I f'd up one of the holes so one paddle has a little play (I'll have to drill a new hole in another location to get it tight). But it should be fine for a few hours of testing later tonight.

The spacers are thick enough to give my thumbs clearance, and the paddles seem to have good action, with a little click. Shifts should be a lot more accurate.

The black powder coating looks great, and the paddles look like they belong on the DFGT. Logitech should release a revised DFGT with aluminum paddles, they really look sharp.

I'll update this post with pics and impressions, after I've had some track time.

UPDATE: Had a chance to spend a few hours last night using my newly modded DFGT with the Clubsport paddles. And aside from my left paddle that's a little loose, they work pretty good. I'd say great, but I noticed that on some upshifts from 2nd, it would jump to 4th, killing my acceleration. Not really sure why this is happening. I might try and put some compression springs behind the buttons, maybe something like these:

41FNx8nIubL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Conical Compression Spring

Sorry no pictures yet. I'll take pictures after I re-drill the left paddle to make it tight.

the material i used as abs plastic from a projector casing (used to get the curves in paddle)
but i sugest using a stiffer plastic or use something to make it more ridjed

and i cut it with a soldering iron melting my way through

I picked up a DFP from the pawn shop for $10. It wasn't powering up with the adapter in the box. Someone had swapped it out with a 12v adapter. Tried the 24v adapter from my FP and it fired right up. Score! 900 is SO much better in GT.

BUT

No paddle shifters. Just the buttons. What marketing genius thought that up, and is he now manning a fryer at Mickey D's? Time to start modding.

Like any other self respecting modder, I made a mock up out of some stiff thin cardboard (Cliff Bar box), measured everything, made a drawing, and took it to work.

1c3a1e89.jpg

Plug the numbers into Mastercam (what, you don't get to play at work? :)) and made a tool path program.

8cafd659.jpg

Sent that over to one of my WEDM machines.

e8817e85.jpg

And cut 2 paddles out of some 3/16" Al plate (I was thinking Ti, but it's a PITA to form).

85681b69.jpg

Back home in the shop, started working on forming and mounting the paddles to the wheel.

ec2da7b4.jpg

All in all it worked out well. Here's some pics of the finished product.

003aef2b.jpg

a6ceb6ec.jpg

f8cfd3bd.jpg

fd1f55ae.jpg

Have recently been getting to know my way around my DFP that's just been sitting for quite som time now. I only use the buttons but find them a bit hard to reach in tight turns.

This does look interesting indeed. 👍

Latest Posts

Back