Did Konami just kill PES?

• Thread starter AlexDB9
  • 30 comments
Greece
Salonica
All I could endure was 3 matches of eFootball 2022, released earlier today, that is the new name of the series and went free to play.

Seems like Konami didn't use Unreal Engine afterall but famed 'Industrial Lite & Tragic'

Last edited:
I've been reading about this over on the PushSquare forums, seems like we have 'next level' Cyberpunk 2077 all over again.

I might actually download it just to have a look and see how bad it is myself before they start patching it together.

Need something to break the 'frustrations' of the day so sounds like it will be a comic laugh from how bad it looks...

Looks like they issued a boilerplate "sorry we released an unfinished game but thanks for the money regardless lol" statement.

FAneTTKVIAICc-K

Looks like they issued a boilerplate "sorry we released an unfinished game but thanks for the money regardless lol" statement.

FAneTTKVIAICc-K
It’s free to play so unless there are some muppets actually giving them money for the packs they can’t use until November then fortunately all we’ve lost is some install time.

Very tragic way for this series to die. Whatever they do now is irrelevant, when your competition is the money making behemoth of FIFA, a launch disaster like this will alll but end the franchise.

It’s free to play so unless there are some muppets actually giving them money for the packs they can’t use until November then fortunately all we’ve lost is some install time.
Oh, you know there are. There always are.
Very tragic way for this series to die. Whatever they do now is irrelevant, when your competition is the money making behemoth of FIFA, a launch disaster like this will alll but end the franchise.
Sadly, you're not wrong on this. FIFA also seems to be the only professional sports game franchise that doesn't immediately get buried under a flood of negative reviews upon release, so that means it's that much harder to sway people from it. And from the few videos I've seen of this game in it's current state, it's uh... not a good look for them.

No, they killed it years ago. It just isn't fun nor great anymore. After trying efootball 2022 I have no idea what they're doing.

Last edited:
What a shame. Every year I was always consider getting back into the series. I've got such fond memories of PE5 & 6 back in the PS2 days. Seems they've never really been able to reach those heights since.

2 whole yes for a glorified demo to be released in this state... shocking.

Although PES has never hit the heights of the PS2 days for some time now I have always preferred it to FIFA but this year's game is a joke, even ignoring the bugs the gameplay itself is plain broken, players run past the ball without even realising it is there and then a few seconds later they turn 180 degrees (at the speed a boat would turn) to face the ball.

If this i what you produce after 2 whole years then i think it is time to close the studio as the series has already been killed.

What a shame. Every year I was always consider getting back into the series. I've got such fond memories of PE5 & 6 back in the PS2 days. Seems they've never really been able to reach those heights since.
Not been able to? I question if they've even tried. I've always thought from playing last 2 gens that they've been trying to get closer to fifa and trying to get their player base rated than cater to the people that made PES the success it became.

2 whole yes for a glorified demo to be released in this state... shocking.

Although PES has never hit the heights of the PS2 days for some time now I have always preferred it to FIFA but this year's game is a joke, even ignoring the bugs the gameplay itself is plain broken, players run past the ball without even realising it is there and then a few seconds later they turn 180 degrees (at the speed a boat would turn) to face the ball.

If this i what you produce after 2 whole years then i think it is time to close the studio as the series has already been killed.
I played it again last night, its even worse than my first Impression. It really is that bad.

Getting it to work with mobile players is the biggest, most idiotic idea that any console/PC dev could do. You can tell that it had to be scaled back from PES code in the screenshots you see online. The crowd in PES13 didn't look as jarring as it does in this game and the iconic player faces are an insult.

Been hoping for years that Sony would buy this IP from Konami (or just buy Konami's video game business) and do something good with it. A publisher with great IP's like Silent Hill and Metal Gear and they don't give a toss about them anymore because pachinko machines make them more money.

eFootball 2022 is actually the first PES game I’ve played and my first attempt at a football game since FIFA 15. Anyway, it feels clunky even after more than 30 games. I don’t hate it, but it’s just difficult to like.

If anything it has inspired me consider FIFA 22 when it goes on sale, but at the same time I’m not very keen on funding EA Sports. Seemingly the laziest and greediest development team ever.

eFootball 2022 is actually the first PES game I’ve played and my first attempt at a football game since FIFA 15. Anyway, it feels clunky even after more than 30 games. I don’t hate it, but it’s just difficult to like.

If anything it has inspired me consider FIFA 22 when it goes on sale, but at the same time I’m not very keen on funding EA Sports. Seemingly the laziest and greediest development team ever.
It's a shame you didn't play GOAT PES. They need to go back to basics imo. Make the game fun, make the defending great great again. Tget need to just release PES6 with a lick of paint. Get rid of scammy my club, or get a damn gambling licence for it at leaat.

Honestly, given the state of both PES and FIFA (and other annual sportsball games in general), annual sportsball games should be a mix of simracing modding platforms like AC, as well as Fire Pro Wrestling World, where everything roster-related is created by the community. (After all, roster modding for sportsball games are a big thing.)

annual sportsball games should be a mix of simracing modding platforms like AC, as well as Fire Pro Wrestling World, where everything roster-related is created by the community.
I have serious doubts whether you'd get American leagues on board with that, speaking from my experiences. Seems like too much of a mindfield of legality and rights that Assetto Corsa and other modding focused racing titles don't have to deal with - or at least, OEM's don't really care about it in racing game instances. Moreover, you're still expecting them to release on consoles, yes? How do you deal with two console makers that have very different guidelines on what modded content is allowed on their platform? (Fallout 4 console modding, with the laissez-faire attitudes of Microsoft and the much more restrictive attitude Sony possessed come to mind instantly)

There's another aspect that I think is unspoken of when it comes to making a sort of halo title for a sports game for the entire generation: how are you going to get new features into the game without making people download 60 GB content patches every year, and bloating the size of games to an untenable degree? Sports games are iterative, and it certainly helps the developers overall that they can focus on areas that need to be improved year over year. Sure, you could get the community to do it, but will the community wait that long, or have the resources and man power to do it?

I will say though that I think you could probably get away with what you're describing with say, college football or basketball. In fact, I seem to remember in a life and death video of NCAA Football, that a former Tiburon producer mentioned potential ideas for a NCAA Football game after 14 would take on a more user editable approach, much more akin to a D&D GM role with regards to scenarios over a game, week, season, and 4 year cycle. That, I think could work well, and considering the fact that for the longest time (that was, until the Ed O'Bannon court case was finished) NCAA games used generic positions and numbers for player names (though certainly not likenesses and defining characteristics) could lead very well to a user editable, mod-able approach. But that also opens up another can of worms related to the O'Bannon case, where people are invariably going to try and create real likenesses to college athletes, except this time they are being done for free, and being distributed for free. Are college athletes still entitled for compensation, even though their likenesses and characteristics are being distributed for free?

Honestly, given the state of both PES and FIFA (and other annual sportsball games in general
I wouldn't say it's all doom and gloom. Most people would agree that NBA 2K is a great game of basketball if you're willing to learn it (which I am certainly not) it's just wrapped up in an incessant and frankly predatorial and grind fueled microtransaction scheme that pulls no punches in its scumminess. And I know from experience that MLB The Show is a fantastically built, rock solid baseball game that is actually incredibly fair and balanced with regards to its gameplay loop for Diamond Dynasty and not really needing extra items and the like, while also being able to have Diamond Dynasty played entirely offline, and not needing to spend a single dime if you want to.

Has anyone played eFootball since it received the big patch a couple of weeks ago? I have and I’d say the gameplay was improved. I don’t know how it would compare to PES, but at least it’s mostly enjoyable to play now.

I just purchased FIFA 22 in the Black Friday sale on PS Store, but I find it close to terrible. The gameplay hasn’t evolved for almost a decade, and in some ways it plays less realistically than it did at the beginning of the previous console generation.

eFootball currently wins on the pitch, and FIFA wins off the pitch with more game modes and licensing.

So, just started playing eFootball for the last week maybe. It's a decent game, plays well enough, although it can be frustrating at times with plenty of "I didn't want to pass to that player!!!!" moments, but still fun.

One thing I like is that you can build a decent team, without the need to invest money. Plus, with the "leveling up" mechanic for players, most players that would be useless otherwise, can actually be (or become) good.

It's the first football game I play in a while, the latest being maybe PES 2012 or 13, as I didn't bother spending money on a new FIFA that will only stay relevant for 1 year, so eFootball is a good fix, until EA make FIFA a service and not as a new game every year.

Yeah this has really surprised me. I'm fully in on this game, way happier with it than FIFA, it just needs to become an actual game now, rather than just a shell of one. At this stage it's essentially a glorified kick off mode and not much else.

One thing I like is that you can build a decent team, without the need to invest money.
I think the nagging issue with this is facing the same teams a lot. Combinations of Haaland, Neymar and Mbappe with maybe the odd alternative showing up here and there., Messi or Salah, lol. It's satisfying to beat them but it can get a bit stale over the course of a session.

I'd like to see bonuses for using lesser rated players and a better chemistry mechanic to encourage actual squad building, something FUT does relatively well.

Last edited:
Yeah this has really surprised me. I'm fully in on this game, way happier with it than FIFA, it just needs to become an actual game now, rather than just a shell of one. At this stage it's essentially a glorified kick off mode and not much else.
I'm assuming that once the game gathers more players, they might be able to add more features. Right now FIFA is still way too popular, but maybe in the near future it starts to shift, as people may get tired of paying every year for an updated version of a game they already own. But for now, eFootball needs to keep adding content.

I think the nagging issue with this is facing the same teams a lot. Combinations of Haaland, Neymar and Mbappe with maybe the odd alternative showing up here and there., Messi or Salah, lol. It's satisfying to beat them but it can get a bit stale over the course of a session.

I'd like to see bonuses for using lesser rated players and a better chemistry mechanic to encourage actual squad building, something FUT does relatively well.
I think this will always happen, as it's a problem that exists in many online competitive games. People will mostly go for the Meta, whether it's eFootball/FIFA, GT7, Battlefield, etc. But, it's fun to beat meta teams with pretty much random players and a team that has a much lower overall than the opponent.

Right now, I'm going for a themed team. In this case, portuguese players, excluding for now the top players (which cost upwards of 300k). Not meta, but still fun to try.
I also built another team, with 9 players from those special cards from Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia (3 of each). Leveled them up a bit (mid to high 70s for their overall stat), filled the rest of the team with other players I already had, and went from Div 7 to 6, with a couple games to spare.

I will probably keep going with the themed teams, just to keep things fresh, and will only get the meta players once the time is right or I simply win them somehow.

I think this will always happen, as it's a problem that exists in many online competitive games. People will mostly go for the Meta, whether it's eFootball/FIFA, GT7, Battlefield, etc. But, it's fun to beat meta teams with pretty much random players and a team that has a much lower overall than the opponent.

Right now, I'm going for a themed team. In this case, portuguese players, excluding for now the top players (which cost upwards of 300k). Not meta, but still fun to try.
I also built another team, with 9 players from those special cards from Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia (3 of each). Leveled them up a bit (mid to high 70s for their overall stat), filled the rest of the team with other players I already had, and went from Div 7 to 6, with a couple games to spare.

I will probably keep going with the themed teams, just to keep things fresh, and will only get the meta players once the time is right or I simply win them somehow.
Of course you're right here, it would just be more interesting if the game wasn't basically set up to funnel you to the meta.

If they can add more to it, in similar ways to FUT where you build your club with kits, crowd chants, stadium parts etc. you can include bonuses towards gaining these around building themed teams as you said or simply winning games with less overall rated players.

In a separate account I actually went all in on the default team and developed them to their limits (around mid 70's for most of them) and enjoyed winning some games with them, and seeing all the rage quits as the opponents knew exactly who just scored against them, lol. But again it hits a ceiling because I can't do that for the long term, and all the while I'm gaining points and credits etc. towards the meta players.

We'll see what Konami do but at the moment that seems to be the plan and it will keep the game lacking depth and replay-ability in the long term, IMO.

I genuinely don't get how it's satisfying to win games with all 95+ rated players. It would just feel empty to me.

Of course you're right here, it would just be more interesting if the game wasn't basically set up to funnel you to the meta.

If they can add more to it, in similar ways to FUT where you build your club with kits, crowd chants, stadium parts etc. you can include bonuses towards gaining these around building themed teams as you said or simply winning games with less overall rated players.

In a separate account I actually went all in on the default team and developed them to their limits (around mid 70's for most of them) and enjoyed winning some games with them, and seeing all the rage quits as the opponents knew exactly who just scored against them, lol. But again it hits a ceiling because I can't do that for the long term, and all the while I'm gaining points and credits etc. towards the meta players.

We'll see what Konami do but at the moment that seems to be the plan and it will keep the game lacking depth and replay-ability in the long term, IMO.

I genuinely don't get how it's satisfying to win games with all 95+ rated players. It would just feel empty to me.

As you said, one solution could be the addition of bonuses for using non-meta players.

As for content, we could use something like Master League. Tie that with some extras that can be used in the online mode, like new kits.

As for the teams with all 95+ rated players, the best part is that scoring against them actually gives you real excitement. Even getting a draw out of it it's satisfying sometimes.

As for content, we could use something like Master League. Tie that with some extras that can be used in the online mode, like new kits.

PES2011 had a mode called Master League Online, which was simply the best online mode in a footie game I've ever played.
However, this didn't generate any money, and EA just released something named FUT which was a huge moneymaker, so MLO died a quickly death and was replaced with a similar mode like FUT.

MLO was great, you played against other teams rated in similar rating, so you never played with superstars (which were also really difficult to obtain). To get Messi for example, you had to win, win A LOT and have a high win percentage. So most of the players had to play with lesser gods.

Good times.

Last edited:
I would be happy with the ability to create an online tournament within the game to play with friends. With as many options as possible, on the type of championship, real teams/national teams/online mode teams, with or without AI and so on.

A full blown ML type of online mode would be perfect, with an actual table for each division, where you had to face every opponent in your league division and cups and such. Unfortunately it would entirely depend on players showing up.

I would be happy with the ability to create an online tournament within the game to play with friends. With as many options as possible, on the type of championship, real teams/national teams/online mode teams, with or without AI and so on.

A full blown ML type of online mode would be perfect, with an actual table for each division, where you had to face every opponent in your league division and cups and such. Unfortunately it would entirely depend on players showing up.
Genuinely I would just like to understand where Konami is going with it, so I can decided if it's worth my investment of time and energy. Like I mentioned, I'm enjoying the gameplay a lot at the moment but what's there to do overall isn't going to keep me addicted in the long term.

I know they've mentioned Edit mode and Master League are on their way but in what shape, in what guise, to what end? I don't see how ML fits with this online focused direction they're going and if it's a shell of itself to appease the PES faithful then I'm not interested while 21 still holds up pretty well.

It's conversely a similar issue to GT7, there are many things I'm enjoying, but I have no idea where they want to take the game or what they want it to look like in its final state. There's no roadmap and little communication from either company.

I couldn't find anywhere legitimate* to purchase PES21 on PC, so bought a used PS4 copy to play on my PS5.

The first option file I tried was bizarre, with no changes to European teams, but the second one I found for the 22/23 season is great. I had to move a few teams around and alter the size of the J League and Bundesliga to 18 teams, but other than that, I have an up-to-date PES that's gonna be able to last me years. The licensed team kits can't be changed, but the OF adds a 4th strip in most cases that is this season's home shirt.

If they're not going to flesh out e Football properly, thank goodness 21 is a satisfying game of football.

*places like G2A purport to have copies anywhere from £300 to £900 apparently, which I'm sure are just cracked copies that probably won't work.

Last edited:
Right now, eFootball is in maintenance, with a big update coming on the 17th. Quite excited to see what's new.

Meanwhile, for anyone interested, there's this site, efootballdb, where you can find stuff about the game, including the ability to check every player, and mess around with the leveling up to see where can players get. It's useful to anyone that wants to know the potential of any player before buying it.

Latest Posts

Back