Difference between GT6 and LFS

• Thread starter Convergent
  • 52 comments
See above :) It's because you can 'feel' the car and chassis behavior in real life, everything else is the same :)

I strongly disagree with this.

While in GT6 you can't feel the traction like you can in reality, there are still audio and visual cues that make up for it - I can "feel" when my car is about it to lose traction much in the same way I can in real life - just via a different method.

The difference comes in how the tyres and suspension react to the weight transfer, it's nothing to do with "Feeling the car"

Earlier this evening I got my gt6 back, and installed 1.03.

I tried putting some camber on the front of my ae86 (albeit not the best car, as my setup is miles from perfect), and it definitely loses front end traction earlier, It even makes the drop off feel more noticeable through the wheel. This was a pure test of camber vs grip. Not Drifting.

But.

If I drove the car more aggressively, the front end did seem more lively than with no camber.

I also tend to prefer a softer setup, but I am surprised to learn that some pro drift cars run without a front ARB. As I use a stiff front arb for mid drift, on throttle stability in most of my drift cars..

I tend to setup springs according to weight and distribution of that weight. The use damper to control body movement in different phases, then use the ARBs to dial in any under or oversteer characteristics if all is well with the first lot of settings. Toe for stability at the rear and turn in at the front.
I used to use camber for mid corner grip, but as I say, it seems to be broken at the moment... Not 100% sure. More testing needed. (that's all general tuning, not necessarily drift.)

Drift academy sounds great, would definitely enter given the chance.

Would you replace my DFGT after I broke it getting into the finals? (not that it would matter much if you wanted to put me in a real car to go sideways!)

I am seriously contemplating trying to run a GT Academy style competition for drifting in Europe through my drift academy. To try to take some of the best drifters on GT6 and see if I can find one to make into a drifter in real life........ It would be awesome to see if I'm right or not. I just can't work out how to make a quantifiable and fair qualifying format.
Well I know I'd enter it if I could. Keep trying, it would be very interesting to see something like this.

If you do it I'm in!!!!

I speak to quite a few euro drifters, it'd be funny to be running up against them haha

Btw I believe I've seen you run in your M3. It's grey Or white right?

Last edited:

While in GT6 you can't feel the traction like you can in reality, there are still audio and visual cues that make up for it - I can "feel" when my car is about it to lose traction much in the same way I can in real life - just via a different method.

The difference comes in how the tyres and suspension react to the weight transfer, it's nothing to do with "Feeling the car"
OK, I'll take your word for it. It's not like I actually drift in real life, or own a drift school, or have experience in D1, Drift Allstars, EDC, etc etc etc...

If you do it I'm in!!!!

I speak to quite a few euro drifters, it'd be funny to be running up against them haha

Btw I believe I've seen you run in your M3. It's grey Or white right?
Yup, Matte White :) You'd have seen my driving it in Poznan, Poland as that the only place I drove it before I sent it to be 'built' :)

P.S. Drift room up shortly as I was doing Drift Academy at Brands Hatch yesterday and want to spoend today relaxing and getting my drift on :D

OK, I'll take your word for it. It's not like I actually drift in real life, or own a drift school, or have experience in D1, Drift Allstars, EDC, etc etc etc...

Yup, Matte White :) You'd have seen my driving it in Poznan, Poland as that the only place I drove it before I sent it to be 'built' :)

P.S. Drift room up shortly as I was doing Drift Academy at Brands Hatch yesterday and want to spoend today relaxing and getting my drift on :D

I knew it!! Wasn't you judge also?

Anyways I sent you a Friend Request on PSN so I'll join.

Sorry about it big shot. Heaven forbid someone else with real drift experience disagree with you on something - that would be absurd.

But hey! You've had better opportunities in life so therefore my opinion is invalid, despite possible and very likely differences in set ups and as a result different experiences with the game and reality.

Last edited:
Yes, it sounds arrogant, but it's the truth, sorry. I'm one of the best real world drifters in Europe and I'm one of the best in the world at the GT franchise. You wouldn't argue with Martin Brundle about F1, so why would you argue with me about drifting? Could it be that we are in the INTERNET and everyone thinks they know best? LOL

I knew it!! Wasn't you judge also?

Anyways I sent you a Friend Request on PSN so I'll join.
Yes, I am indeed a judge aswell. I have judged for several series accross Europe including Drift Allstars, Polish Drift Federation, Dansk Drifting Series, Lithuanian Autosport Federation etc etc. :)

Yes, it sounds arrogant, but it's the truth, sorry. I'm one of the best real world drifters in Europe and I'm one of the best in the world at the GT franchise. You wouldn't argue with Martin Brundle about F1, so why would you argue with me about drifting? Could it be that we are in the INTERNET and everyone thinks they know best? LOL

No, I think it's you underminining someone else merely because you've had better opportunities in life than small time country folk such as myself.

I'm sorry that I'm no big D1 badass with my own drift school - I'm sorry that I'm speaking from more grass roots experience - however as far as I see it, that doesn't make my opinion and experience any less valid.

But please - do forgive this lowly street rat for speaking out of turn o' great one! please tell me more about your great achievements in life because your wallet is bigger than mine.

real life experience doesn't mean much, there are some people that say Forza 3-4 is the most realistic sim and they have more experience then me driving irl, doesn't mean what they are saying is true at all.

there is what most people are saying with real life experience and that isn't that GT6 is anywhere near as good for drifting as LFS or AC, then there are people who think they are the best drifters and GT6 is the the most realistic, on a GT forum you'll be more likely to find people saying GT is the best, the rest of the sim community doesn't agree.

real life experience doesn't mean much, there are some people that say Forza 3-4 is the most realistic sim and they have more experience then me driving irl, doesn't mean what they are saying is true at all.

there is what most people are saying with real life experience and that isn't that GT6 is anywhere near as good for drifting as LFS or AC, then there are people who think they are the best drifters and GT6 is the the most realistic, on a GT forum you'll be more likely to find people saying GT is the best, the rest of the sim community doesn't agree.

I think the difference there is claiming anything is the "Best sim"

Nothing on a console or commercially released on PC is going to be the "best sim" because the purpose built machines and programs used in F1 are going to be the most realistic (I would imagine, don't quote me on that)

What real experience can do is allow you to compare the different experiences and decide which matches reality the closest - which I can't imagine would be on a console, at least not from the 3/360 era - but most people can't afford a gaming PC so you have to make do I suppose. In saying that I haven't found a PC sim I really enjoy yet either so there goes that idea :lol:

I think that the argument of GT vs. real life is a bit pointless. GT has set parameters for track grip, every tarmac raceway has the same constant amount of grip, in real life surfaces vary in grip depending on material, location, atmospheric conditions, tire compound/condition and many, many more.
For example a friend of mine used to have an M3 that was tuned for track days, if you tried to launch the car in the car park it would light the back wheels up and struggle for grip, if you did the same thing on the tarmac road 10ft away it would just grip and go with barely a chirrup from the tyres. The local airfield that was used for a track had a farmers field at one end, during hot dry summers, certain corners would feel completely different because of the dust coming off the field. One minute the car would be grippy and tight, the next it would be mess of understeer and oversteer.
And yes, being able to feel the car makes a big difference to how you drive, can't argue with that. The senses you possess in your own body provide so much more awareness of how the car is moving and reacting, allowing you to adjust your driving to the feedback you're receiving. In GT you only have eyes and ears, no real sense of movement or inertia

What does your setups look like?

I ask because all my cars are 1500kg and heavier, and on tracks with quick switchback sections (final turns at willow) I clutch kick transition (Ueo), which snaps the car in the opposite direction but I don't spin. This is done on ch, realistic alignment and springrate, full weight 330-450hp cars.

Again, all I drive is tanks. Why am I not having this weight shift problem you speak of?

This is not GT5, you will have to work to get back to your former glory. The sooner people realize this, more fun will be had...believe it.

Again, all I drive is tanks. Why am I not having this weight shift problem you speak of?

This is not GT5, you will have to work to get back to your former glory. The sooner people realize this, more fun will be had...believe it.

Base tune is generally

10.0 8.0 1.2 0.4
4 4 0.00 0.10
3 3
2 3

Then I work from there.

(Not sure how I missed that message, sorry about that)

I'm not claiming GT6 is anything like 5, nor have I been comparing the two. I'm just comparing the game to reality, as all sims should be.

This could be a problem with my set up or maybe my technique in the real world simply doesn't translate well to the virtual - but this is just my experience with the game and that's all I've been trying to say.

Base tune is generally

10.0 8.0 1.2 0.4
4 4 0.00 0.10
3 3
2 3

Then I work from there.

(Not sure how I missed that message, sorry about that)

I'm not claiming GT6 is anything like 5, nor have I been comparing the two. I'm just comparing the game to reality, as all sims should be.

This could be a problem with my set up or maybe my technique in the real world simply doesn't translate well to the virtual - but this is just my experience with the game and that's all I've been trying to say.

That last part wasn't directed at you, it's just I read alot of whining about issues that don't seem to bother those who do well.

That looks okay although I would run more front camber.

I forgot to ask, which car? I'll try it and report back as long as the car is not awd. Diff settings?

Last edited:
That last part wasn't directed at you, it's just I read alot of whining about issues that don't seem to bother those who do well.

That looks okay although I would run more front camber.

I forgot to ask, which car? I'll try it and report back as long as the car is not awd

I stick to 901 chassis's, IE GTS Skylines and S chassis cars.

Currently playing with a 180SX and the R32 Skyline GTS-t Type M (set up to the same specs as my car when it isn't detuned for daily driving, though mine's a 33.)

I'm giving up for tonight because I'm tired and exhausted from sawing at the wheel all day trying to fix this nonsense.

No, I think it's you underminining someone else merely because you've had better opportunities in life than small time country folk such as myself.

I'm sorry that I'm no big D1 badass with my own drift school - I'm sorry that I'm speaking from more grass roots experience - however as far as I see it, that doesn't make my opinion and experience any less valid.

But please - do forgive this lowly street rat for speaking out of turn o' great one! please tell me more about your great achievements in life because your wallet is bigger than mine.
I never said anything like that. I simply said what i believe the facts to be, and I gave a very clear explanation as to why. I've not had better opportunities, I've simply worked my arse off and spent every penny I earn on a sport I LOVE as much as life itself.
I still believe in grass roots drifting but you are comparing apples to oranges, I am at least comparing apples to apples.

I am seriously contemplating trying to run a GT Academy style competition for drifting in Europe through my drift academy. To try to take some of the best drifters on GT6 and see if I can find one to make into a drifter in real life........ It would be awesome to see if I'm right or not. I just can't work out how to make a quantifiable and fair qualifying format.

This would be just fantastic :) Just a shame that I'm not even that good in gt6 but i've been beasting it in LFS and I'm also skidding my bmw in the snow on a daily basis :)

It would be like the ultimate dream coming true experience lol

I am seriously contemplating trying to run a GT Academy style competition for drifting in Europe through my drift academy. To try to take some of the best drifters on GT6 and see if I can find one to make into a drifter in real life........ It would be awesome to see if I'm right or not. I just can't work out how to make a quantifiable and fair qualifying format.[/quote]

Funny you should mention this. I'm finally sorting my life out and getting my licence, something I have been putting off for over 10 year lol. I also want to get an s14 this year and start drifting, maybe go to the DWYB event at Santa pod . I have been wondering for many years if drifting on gt has actually taught me the basics. I have been thinking maybe From what I have learnt in gt, I maybe able to jump straight in my car and possibly drift a corner after a few attempts lol.

Funny you should mention this. I'm finally sorting my life out and getting my licence, something I have been putting off for over 10 year lol. I also want to get an s14 this year and start drifting, maybe go to the DWYB event at Santa pod . I have been wondering for many years if drifting on gt has actually taught me the basics. I have been thinking maybe From what I have learnt in gt, I maybe able to jump straight in my car and possibly drift a corner after a few attempts lol.[/quote]

If you can drift when your high I don't see anything stopping you. :lol:

Back