Difficult Car Spotlight - Option Stream Z

• Thread starter XS
  • 142 comments
I will have to try it on sports tires, and tune from there. On RH it just feels like a big turbo (laaaaaagggg lol) 350Z with a touch of extra understeer perhaps, no real reason to start changing things there.

At 550PP sport soft ,just the way it is on the tune sheet, my nissan beat my M3 CSL ghost on Suzuka. This in my opinion is a great result, not only a drivable car...
I will test the other tunes when i´ll have time and publish some comments about.

That is a great result! Can't wait to try your tune out! That also probably means my tune is too slow :(.

XS
Really? I hated it stock. I agree with Praiano about it feeling strange and having unusual traits. Especially without ballast it's hard to tune it to compete with most cars at 550pp or 600pp. My Viper GTS and Shelby Mustang eat it for lunch at 600pp, even with a good tune it's still slower.
Edit, you're right about racing tires though - this car absolutely comes alive on RH. Sports soft are a different story though.
Last ninja edit promise! It's still slower than a good chunk of 600pp cars when comparing cars on race tires. I'm not including the super GT cars either.

I think it's decent with stock weight distribution, I always avoid changing weight distribution to fix handling balance, seems like an easy way out to me, and I always prefer to retain original car traits or at least correct weight distribution like IRL ( some of my replica had ballast to fix wrong weight distribution - like the Supra ). If car pushes on corner entry, usually trail braking can help a lot - since I don't use ABS, I can brake in a way that the rear step out a bit, risky but fun :lol:

My tune keeps everything stock except for low rpm turbo, suspension and LSD tweaks - basically just chipping away the rough edges of a stock car, so if a driver wanted more, simply use custom gearing, adjust aero, use ride height trick ( nose up - ass down :lol: ), zero camber, and use lots of ballast reverse distribution.

Oh, sports soft IMO is roughly equivalent to DH slick tire, so street cars in GT6 with SS tires is just like fitting race tires if comparing grip level. I found this when I built the Toyota Motorsports GmbH 86GT CS V3 replica, I went to some other forum, and asked for opinion from someone who have experience with this car and also have GT6 :D He said the real 86GT Cup car uses DH slick ( Michelin and Pirelli ) and GT6 closest would something in between sports medium and sports soft, while sports medium is like R comp semi slick ( probably shaved ) in most cases. He thinks it's very close to SS tire - he also gave a lot input to help me built the replica.

He also mentioned about race cars with aero and racing tires are a bit different, some are closer with sports soft, some with sports medium and some needs racing hard :confused:, probably just PD tire + aero physics. So RH tire in GT6 would be like fitting DM or DS slick ( he mentioned cars like 458 Italia )and RM tire DSS slick on most non race cars IMHO. This is just based on someone's observation who had real world experience driving cars in GT6, I think his finding is similar to kamuifanboy and another member here who posted comparison video of 86 GT ( real life racers too ) who share similar opinion. I talked too much :lol:

I feel it has to be said since nobody else has: that front end is hideous! It seems to have Celica envy. :crazy:

@XS love the idea of this thread and I hope you continue on with this as is. Leaving it unrestricted will give us tunes to use these difficult cars in a wide variety of races.

I take it everybody is okay with the review idea using this format? I'm not going to require anyone to review everybody's tunes, but just be prepared to not have your tune reviewed in return. All tunes, unless plagiarized, will be included in the directory. I am about to write up RIDOX' review if nobody objects to the reviews idea.

I am going to attempt to post this review without the points system in order to avoid an all-out competition from erupting lol. I also would like if lap times were not listed. I think the question to keep in mind is this: is the tune in question successful at overcoming the woes of this month's difficult car? Try to cater your reviews to that question and I think everything should remain fair. I will test Praiano's next if this review goes well.

Ridox2JZGTE OPTION Review

Reviewer Info

Controller: DS3
Track used for testing: Brands Hatch GP
Number of laps completed: 12
Tire compound used: Sports Soft (within the limits of the tune)

Test Drive Overall Result: A successful tune which could be used in career mode or online comfortably

Low Speed Corner:
Entry:
Slow in, no oversteer, mild understeer
Mid: Easy to hold line, no oversteer, hint of understeer, decent speed
Exit: No oversteer, no understeer, very easy early throttle-on exit.
Comments: Corner entry on low speed corners is somewhat difficult to hit perfectly and requires some planning ahead. Decent speed throughout, easy exit.

Mid Speed Corner
Entry:
Mild understeer, hard in, moderate speed.
Mid: No oversteer, hint of understeer, easy to hold line, good speed.
Exit: No oversteer, no understeer, very easy early throttle-on exit.
Comments: Corner entry requires a planned setup to hit the apex perfectly, good speed throughout, addictive on-throttle exit.

High Speed Corner
Entry:
fast in, neutral effort needed, no oversteer, moderate understeer, good speed.
Mid: Neutral handling, decent speed, easy to hit apex and hold line.
Exit: Neutral handling, early throttle-on, very easy to execute perfectly
Comments: Corner entry can be had at fairly fast speeds, easy to apex, and very easy to exit with no drama

Tune Comments:
Ridox has built a very driver friendly tune, capable of allowing nearly any driver to jump in and win both career mode and online mode races. Low speed corners are not so forgiving, but overall the tune is. Very fun to drive on DS3 especially when you want to show off some and let the tail hang out by punching the throttle hard on corner exits. Did the tune overcome this month's difficult car challenge? Yes, it is a successful tune!

It probably looks more complicted then it really is.
at first glance, it looks like a bunch of math and a crap load of numbers, lol.
I'm sure its going to be fine, I will sit down in the morning and really read through it all and simplify it in my head. I say run with it.

I have no problem testing a few others settings out, not problem.

Ok here it goes...posting my first tune ever...
Test Track Grand Valley Speedway (where I tune most of my cars) and Brands Hatch Indy Circuit

DS3 controller
ABS 1
Traction Control 1
(with aids off and on)
PP 610
Max Power 874 hp
735 ft/lbs torque
Weight 1242 kg
Weight Dist. 53/47

Tires RH
Ride Height 63/65
Spring Rate 15.00/14.03
Compression 4/3
Extension 7/6
ARB 4/3
Camber 0/0
Toe -0.35/0.00
Brakes 8/7

Max Speed 217
Final Gear 3.900
Auto Gears

LSD 5/20/10

100% Power
Stage 2 Turbo
No NOS

0 Ballast
Rear Downforce 150
Stage 3 Weight Reduction
Window Weight Reduction
Oil Change at 0 miles
Improve Body Rigidity

Result still was tuff to drive fast and on limit for me since I usually have driver aids on. Was much easier to drive with aids on. This was my first run at it after I got hm from work so I plan to try and improve on my set up tomoro

Thanks for the review XS :) Looks like the car still has understeer, but that's understandable as it has stock weight distribution and I tried to make is stable and safe. I am glad the car at least enjoyable and fun to drive hard :D Did you manage to break 1:30s with it ? :sly:

Thanks for the review XS :) Looks like the car still has understeer, but that's understandable as it has stock weight distribution and I tried to make is stable and safe. I am glad the car at least enjoyable and fun to drive hard :D Did you manage to break 1:30s with it ? :sly:
Uhhhhhh, 1.30s? Ummmm, yeah about that, I'm kinda a slow driver *shameful face*...... But just a hair above 👍. The understeer was mild, nothing to write home about. I also didn't use ballast and just accepted the fact that there will be a few corners out there the car will understeer in. Considering what we have to work with, your tune is a far cry better than stock man.

Despite my best efforts, I didn't touch this last night. My pesky gt1 turbo kept me busy all night at the Nordschleife, with constant tweaking.

I'm going to hit this hard later today, the specs of this thing seem pretty crazy. Never paid it much attention.

Well done @Ridox2JZGTE

OPTIONzGrand Valley Speedway_1.jpg

Car: Nissan OPTION Stream Z '04

Wheel / Joypad: PS3 controller
Power: 796 BHP @ 6600 Rpm / 90.9 kgfm @ 6200 Rpm
Weight: 1327 kg
Performance Points: 598
Tires: SS

Suspension:(Height-Adjustable, Fully-Customisable Suspension)

Ride Height: Front: 90 Rear: 90
Spring Rate: Front: 10.38 kg Rear: 9.86 kg
Dampers (Compression): Front: 3 Rear: 3
Dampers (Extension): Front: 4 Rear: 4
Anti-Roll Bars: Front: 2 Rear: 3
Camber Angle (-): Front: 0.0° Rear: 0.0°
Toe Angle: Front: -0.04° Rear: 0.21°
Brakes: Racing Upgrade F: 5 R: 5

Drivetrain: (Fully Customisable Transmission)
Speed: 137 mph

1: 2.993
2:
3: 1.607
4: 1.267
5: 1.043
6: 0.897

Final: 3.547

Differential Gear:Fully Customisable Mechanical Limited-Slip Diff

Initial Torque: R= 9
Acceleration Sensitivity: R= 37
Braking Sensitivity: R= 11
Clutch & Flywheel: Standard
Propeller Shaft: Standard
Centre Differential: Standard

Power

Oil Change:
Yes
Power Limiter: 100%
Engine Tuning: Standard
Computer: Standard
Exhaust: Race Exhaust
Exhaust Manifold: Standard
Catalytic Converter: Standard
Intake Tuning: Standard
Turbo Kit: Stage: Standard
Nitrous Oxide (N2O): No

Body

Body Rigidity Improvement: No
Weight Reduction: Stage 3
Bonnet: Standard
Windows: Weight Reduction
Ballast: 85kg
Ballast position: 50

Anyone reviewing my tune, please do not review this one, as it's about a week outdated. Please go to my revision tune as anything said to this tune doesn't mean anything, as it no longer exists on my car, lol.
My current tune, and what it is right now, is posted on page 4 of this thread.
Thank you.

Let me first throw up what I've been messing with so far;

And I know some of you are going to take one look and be like, f-that, lol. But believe it or not, I've actually had decent progress with it like this.
600pp
849hp
1,500kg
48/52 dis.
707 ft/lb torque
1.76 ptwr

Height 65/90
Springs 14.00/16.00
D(c) 5/5
D(e) 6/5
Arb 5/6
Cam 0/0
Toe -0.20/-0.10
Brakes 8/10

LSD 8/6/36

Power;
Limiter = 100%
Turbo = low rpm

Body;
Aero= 0/150
Ballast= 200 (lol) @ +38
Weight reduce stage 2
Window weight reduce

Very important! Tires = racing medium front, racing hard rear

Last edited:
I'm just about to start testing the cars now, should be fun. I didn't really find this car that bad to drive stock, just felt a bit stiff. If you want a surprisingly difficult car to manage, try a maxed out S13 lol

I tried priaino's 550pp version, on Apricot hill. I figured if it handles those turns well, it will handle anything.

I liked it, did about 20 laps or so.
The only thing I didn't like was probably just my style of driving. I would have boosted the decel up a bit.
But it handled well, was doing 1:26.10 on his SS tires, and 1:23.13 on RH tires.
I had an old version (not the one I posted) that I did last week for 550pp, and I still had it on setting B. So I whipped it out and went for a few.
Priaino's car took that version by a second and 1/2 SS, and by almost 2 full seconds on RH. So needless to say, his was better then mine, which I wasn't very surprised to find out, lol.
Good job man ^^

I gave up on the 550pp's as something just didn't seem right. And I didn't like full maxed out, so 600 has been what I've been working with.
The above tune is current, but I seem to try new things daily on it, lol.

I will test a few others tomorrow.

Edit: sorry I didn't review in the format, I didn't have a boat load of time today to play. And the time I did have, I spent most of it racing, lol.

Way to think outside of the box! I have done this on FFs in the past, but only once on a FR, way back in GT4 on the Toyota GT1.
I dont know why i didnt think of that because that is a common set up option when i play wsbk x...good thinking buddy

Right.

I've had a little fiddle.

In stock form she is rather stiff. Didn't really want to turn in much at all. With early braking, she wasn't too bad, but I couldn't push properly.

I've decided to go with RH tyres, as I felt I could push the car a little easier, and it suited the car.

I started by making the springs softer all round, removing camber, a small amout of rear toe in, and played with the diff for maximum turn in.

She still didn't want to turn, so I played some more. Many setup revisions later I ended up with what you see below. I felt the power was more than adequate, but too heavy for a track car.

I'm on DFGT and tuned with all assists off, abs 0 and at the Nordschleife.
RH
Stock power plus oil change
Weight reduction 3
Stock transmission
Window weight reduction
Racing brakes
599pp
796bhp
1242kg
53:47 distribution

Suspension
Ride height 70 80
Springs 17.00 13.41
Comp 8 6
Ext 6 4
Arb 4 6
Camber 0.0 0.0
Toe -0.10 0.05

Lsd
Inital 5
Accell 10
Brake 5

Brake balance 4 - 10

Down force 50

Found this to be a good compromise of stability but still with a sense of character when pushing on.

Last edited:
I've tried almost everything I can think of to stop this boat from understeering but it's not happening...

Looks like I'm going to admit defeat and take @demonchilde advice to try harder tyres on the rear than the front!

@XS

(ds3, ABS 1, Grand Valley 10 laps)

Sport Soft

Low Speed Corner:
Entry:
Good turn in but feels heavy and unwilling, still a lot of understeer present
Mid: Holds the line well enough if you stay off the throttle
Exit: Feels a bit nervous on exit, coming 'On Boost' can make the car snap into dramatic oversteer
Comments: Not what the cars is designed for really, its never going to be nimble through the twisty bits but it feels like the springs are too stiff for the tyres causing a lot of lateral slip.

Mid Speed Corner:
Entry:
Turns in well initially but straightens up almost straight away causing understeer
Mid: A lot of slip, doesn't seem to be able to hold grip at the front end
Exit: Quite stable and predictable
Comments: Feels like the car only wants to go in a straight line under acceleration, whilst stable this can lead to understeer on exit and having to stay off the throttle if the track is anything but straight
High Speed Corner
Entry:
Good entry, feels stable and predictable
Mid: A bit of slip and understeer but nothing too troubling
Exit: Good exit, stable and planted at the rear without any real drama
Comments: Pulls well in the higher gears giving good acceleration out of high speed bends. Feels like all the power is getting to the ground and helping wrangle those few extra MPH that can be so key on some circuits.

Tune Comments:
Wasn't a fan if I'm honest, never really felt like the suspension was working with the tires. The car feels sort of darty and direct when you turn in but that only lasts a split second before it pulls straight again, makes it hard to pick a line through a corner because you get a good initial turn in and then just slip wider and wider after the grip fades. The brakes slow you down extremely well but the car feels a bit nervous under hard braking. Feels kind of like a lock up in the sense that the car only wants to go in a straight line but at the same time rotate round its own axis. It is marginally faster than stock but not by much

Racing Hard

Low Speed Corner:
Entry:
Feels much better, feels nice and imediate
Mid: Fairly good but feels a little bit fidgety and unsettled
Exit: Better grip on exit, far less likely to let go under hard acceleration, feels a little bit fidgety still
Comments: Feels stable and fairly sharp, the understeer is still there but is less noticeable. Does feel a bit like the car is never settled though, always wants to dart around and makes it a little hard to stay on line and hold speed while turning

Mid Speed Corner:
Entry:
No problems to report, feels stable and predictable
Mid: Holds line well enough if you stay off the throttle, pulls wide under power though
Exit: Stable and predictable enough but the throttle induced understeer makes it difficult to carry speed
Comments: Feels planted enough and nice on the turn in but the throttle understeer makes it slow
High Speed Corner
Entry:
Hard to turn in, feels heavy
Mid: Understeer kills it unfortunately
Exit: Stable and planted at the rear without any real drama
Comments: It just feels too stiff and stable, exits fine but the speed you lose on entry kills any advantages you may gain on exit

Tune Comments:
Felt much more aggressive on the racing tires and was far more usable but the car still felt odd, kind of aggressive, kind of safe, not enough of either. It felt like it wants to be driven hard but when you push it just becomes stiff and unresponsive. It might just be the way I drive but I just couldn't find a style that suited it, aggressive driving made it feel numb and heavy but gentle, precise driving made it feel fidgety. Brakes felt a lot better, more stable under heavy braking but still too aggressive for my tastes, difficult to brake in anything but a straight line. It was a lot quicker on the racing tyres and was my favourite of the two but I just found it frustrating to drive

Sorry man, I tried to like this car but it just didn't work for me, has some nice elements but just feels a little like its trying to be too many different things at once.

Last edited:
@DolHaus are you on wheel or DS3? I have a soft tune as well I might throw up - I decided against it last minute because the hard tune was a bit faster on tight tracks. Obviously I have some LSD tuning to do. It does straighten out under accel, but I haven't quite found a sweet spot where it doesn't snap oversteer on accel when I increase the initial torque and accel sensitivity settings, so I went lower instead of higher. That said the reversed dampers did increase lap times and I like how it feels, but it isn't as balanced as normal damper setups. I'll rework the soft tune and see if that doesn't solve some of the problems.

XS
@DolHaus are you on wheel or DS3? I have a soft tune as well I might throw up - I decided against it last minute because the hard tune was a bit faster on tight tracks. Obviously I have some LSD tuning to do. It does straighten out under accel, but I haven't quite found a sweet spot where it doesn't snap oversteer on accel when I increase the initial torque and accel sensitivity settings, so I went lower instead of higher. That said the reversed dampers did increase lap times and I like how it feels, but it isn't as balanced as normal damper setups. I'll rework the soft tune and see if that doesn't solve some of the problems.
Ds3 (post updated)
I think the problem is less to do with the diff (maybe drop the initial a bit?) and more to do with the rear toe. The car just feels like it can't steer and accelerate at the same time, its always fighting against itself.

Point noted, thank you. Tuning for just yourself then tuning for other users is a whole different ball game! Like I said, it's unbalanced, and you're right about the rear toe - something I debated for a while, but I liked the tune and the lap times it produced, which so far aren't too bad at all, 1.28.xxx at Brands Hatch. But that's the difference between what you like and what other's can use. I've got to think of the bigger picture.

XS
Point noted, thank you. Tuning for just yourself then tuning for other users is a whole different ball game! Like I said, it's unbalanced, and you're right about the rear toe - something I debated for a while, but I liked the tune and the lap times it produced, which so far aren't too bad at all, 1.28.xxx at Brands Hatch. But that's the difference between what you like and what other's can use. I've got to think of the bigger picture.
I found that it was 5 secs slower than mine around grand valley on average and the best time was just under 4 secs slower (on SS tyres). It was considerably faster on RH but I haven't run mine on those tyres so I can't give a comparison.
I know what you mean about tuning for others though, you may find the exact same situation with mine, it could just be that we have polar opposite styles.
The one thing I felt with yours is that its far too stable, it feels like you've overcompensated for the power and made it unable to turn when you're on the gas.

Could be, I certainly like mashing the throttle on corner exits, so it makes sense that I naturally gravitate towards safe settings which allow me to mash-n-go, but on this tune that doesn't work so much, so I know I can improve it. I'll see what I can do later with the soft tune.

PS, 7 tunes already! I like where this is going. Hopefully a few folks out there will find this idea helpful. At the very least we're providing more competitive cars that can be used. I would love to join a lobby to see an occasional OPTION Z or other rare car there instead of the usual barrage of SRTs, Ferraris, Fords, and Corvettes.

Last edited:
Back