DIRT 5 Will Be Free on PlayStation Plus in January

• Thread starter Famine
  • 29 comments
"Racing games rarely appear in the PS Plus free game deals, with only Onrush, Destruction AllStars, Wreckfest, and DIRT 5‘s stablemate/predecessor DIRT Rally 2.0 available in the last three years. That makes this a pretty welcome appearance, if a little surprising."

Actually, PS Plus also offered NFS Payback on October 2020 and Horizon Chase Turbo on July 2019.

Last edited:
I mean...nice I guess. Still much better options for racing games now compared to the beginning of the generation, which makes D5's problems even more apparent.

That being said, a heavy hitter month. I wonder what compelled Atlus to put up P5 Strikers for free though.

NFS Payback
That was a movie with cars in it. And a bad one at that.
Horizon Chase Turbo
I mean... I guess, but we're really kinda digging into the depths at this point. It was basically Outrun but not - and not something we'd ever cover on GTP.

If we're digging into "well, actually, you forgot", there was Assetto Corsa in January this year. It was only in the Middle East region, replacing Greedfall for some unknown reason, but if you're going to try to flex knowledge you may as well go all in.

Will definitely give this a try then, hopefully It's better than WRC10.
You are going to be sorely disappointed then. The regular Dirt games are complete arcade games. And Dirt 5 has received vast criticism since it’s release, way more than WRC 10. Dirt Rally 2 is the competitor to WRC.

I mean... I guess, but we're really kinda digging into the depths at this point. It was basically Outrun but not - and not something we'd ever cover on GTP.

If we're digging into "well, actually, you forgot", there was Assetto Corsa in January this year. It was only in the Middle East region, replacing Greedfall for some unknown reason, but if you're going to try to flex knowledge you may as well go all in.
I believe ONRUSH was rolled out as a PS+ free game, as was Wreckfest

Huh, I thought it was already offered for free at some point... Thought it was kinda fun, actually. Lovely graphics and just easy going old school arcade pedal to the metal fun.

How can Onrush and Destruction All-Stars be considered a racing game but not NFS Payback or Horizon Chase Turbo?

How can Onrush and Destruction All-Stars be considered a racing game
We've covered them on the news pages.
but not ... Horizon Chase Turbo?
We haven't.

We did cover Payback for a short while, but apparently nobody cared. I mean, we even covered being added to PS Plus and nobody cared, so if it's upset a whole two people I guess I could add it.

Weird we're not caring about Assetto Corsa though.

Last edited:
Stoked to try this with my wheel, I always kind of wanted it but these kinds of games don’t really stick with me.

Last edited:
We've covered them on the news pages.

We haven't.

We did cover Payback for a short while, but apparently nobody cared. I mean, we even covered being added to PS Plus and nobody cared, so if it's upset a whole two people I guess I could add it.

Weird we're not caring about Assetto Corsa though.
I'm not upset, just struggling to understand the logic behind calling a game with no racing in it a "racing game", but not a game with actual racing in it. Whether or not you covered it shouldn't really matter.

Not exactly sure why your post got a poop emoji when you simply stated the date the game can be downloaded (Which was literally made clear last week). Does he think you work for Sony?

Edit: And one for me from the child himself instead of an honest answer.

thanks-ray.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly sure why your post got a poop emoji when you simply stated the date the game can be downloaded (Which was literally made clear last week). Does he think you work for Sony?
I mean it's obvious he works for Sony bro, just look at his profile picture.

But either way, Poop emoji for juu!

Last edited:
Went to the PSN store and intriguingly despite me effectively already having it for free (Thanks Codies :D), it doesn't show it as a game I already own although it also says PS4 and PS5 version. If that's the main difference, I'll likely download it just so I can play it on the PS5 whenever that finally materializes in my reality.

I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've put about 4 hours on the PS5 Version and I've found it to be relatively enjoyable. The graphics are quite sharp and the gameplay and features are fun albeit a bit repetitive. The Donut commentary adds a layer of fun as well. I'd say it's B- Metacritic score is accurate.

Edit: And one for me from the child himself instead of an honest answer.

View attachment 1103635
No prob, Brosef!

Downloaded it, done 2 races, uninstalled.

I don't mind the odd arcade game (driveclub as a perfect example) but nothing in this grabbed me at all.
Based on videos I’ve seen of it I will likely do the same. Only trying it see how the DualSense’s haptics and triggers are for a racing game.

I know I am in a minority but I absolutely love the game. Not so much the career mode as it is incredibly easy, even on super hard mode but more for the playgrounds. There are some fantastic and creative people out there whereas others are meh and just created for the trophy.

Someone even made a track called 'For WolfmanUK' which is both an honour and slightly freaked me out. Still did it and came top though. 😁

Had the game for over a year, and even purchased it when I got my PS5, before realising it would be free this week. Still play most days and will continue to do so until Grid Legends and GT7 come out.

I know I am in a minority but I absolutely love the game. Not so much the career mode as it is incredibly easy, even on super hard mode but more for the playgrounds. There are some fantastic and creative people out there whereas others are meh and just created for the trophy.

Someone even made a track called 'For WolfmanUK' which is both an honour and slightly freaked me out. Still did it and came top though. 😁

Had the game for over a year, and even purchased it when I got my PS5, before realising it would be free this week. Still play most days and will continue to do so until Grid Legends and GT7 come out.
Honestly, I'm of the impression that it's not terrible and its actually enjoyable but at the same time feel it could be so much better. Its kinda got Grid 2019's problem of being repetitive when it comes to career mode (and in some ways its abit worse in that there's no real direction that makes any real difference), but thankfully it's at least got something else to engage yourself with. Now if only replays were a thing, then snapping photos would be way easier.

Last edited:
Repetitiveness is trademark to the Dirt series, even to Dirt Rally due to the very short total mileage and lack of varierty per stage.

Let's hope this gets finally sorted (after 20 years....) when they develop their WRC games, where I hope they are indeed forced to put an end to the problem of stage varierty lack and short mileage as well.

With the Dirt series I guess they will be forced to do the same but with those stadium/off road tracks. They have to do more of them and less cars. Period.

Based on videos I’ve seen of it I will likely do the same. Only trying it see how the DualSense’s haptics and triggers are for a racing game.
I done one race with the wheel and it was horrible and one race with the controller, much better with controller and haptics feel good although I haven't tried another ps5 racing game with the dual sense so have nothing to do my compared it to.

Back