DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
Sorry, but steering feedback is not just limited to self aligning torque, road surface does come through the wheel as well as the chassis.

True, and it will vary a lot by car model. Most great "driver's cars" have good feel through the wheel, but I've also driven cars where the wheel might as well be completely disconnected from the car in any physical way, just a dead piece plastic in your hands (2005 Toyota Prius, I'm looking at you here!)

FFB was never "broken" to begin with.

The FFB in-game was designed to give the most accurate feeling relative to real forces on a car's steering column. This was something rally driver Ryan Champion worked hard on with the team.

The reason it feels off to some people is because you're missing the "bum in seat" forces a real car has, which most racing games compensate for by adding forces to the wheel.

Dev team heard the feedback (pun intended) loud and clear, but changing it is outside the scope of this title.

Ah, thanks for the feedback. I will wait until I can get it essentially for free then, like less than $20 or hope for a better version next time around. I definitely won't like a sim that tries to only simulate "steering forces" since that's not nearly enough to simulate what's going on in the chassis as well (i.e. I want a driving simulator, not a "steering wheel simulator" - Wasn't there some other game that did this and it was absolutely awful?)

I would like to warn people about this company. It doesn't matter if you agree with the DLC policy or not, if you like the FFB or not, if you like the simplistic physics or not. It's a game, and it's fun. But CodeRemasters has an absolutely pathetic IT system, not to mention their penchant for releasing half-finished titles with rehashed content and missing functionality from previous titles.

Throughout DiRT Rally 1, DiRT 4 and DiRT Rally 2.0, RaceNet has suffered frequent outages. They keep getting worse. I am fed up with these shenanigans. Here is a copy of what I just posted in their forum. I am done with you guys. How is it possible that modded RBR, a fifteen year old game, has better physics, better functionality, better FFB, more content, and a more stable and much more flexible online environment is a mystery to me.

Quote:

"Nothing short of pathetic. Had two league events expiring. Both season finales where I have put a lot of effort into custom points spreadsheets and rally reports. Drivers championship on the line. Manufacturers championship on the line. Down to the wire after twelve rallies. And Clubs down all weekend. I managed to do one of the rallies late this morning (Argentine time) . Took a break, came back, and Clubs are down again. Championship decided by RaceNet failure.

This is absolutely pathetic. Goodbye, CodeRemasters. I will never purchase another product from you again. And the only reason I will not delete DiRT Rally 2.0 right now is so I can show my 370 YouTube subscribers how the new McRae DLC looks to be shaping up as a DiRT 4 Your Stage rehash, and remind them how bad the FFB is and how unreliable your infrastructure is. Yeah, it's only 370 people. I'm a small fish. But it's worth it. If I can stop one future sale I will be happy. This company is pathetic.

Thanks for ruining an entire organized championship."

View attachment 900455

Which reminds me I’m still on track for a PC this year. Ironic that a 15 year old game will be the first game I get.

True, and it will vary a lot by car model. Most great "driver's cars" have good feel through the wheel, but I've also driven cars where the wheel might as well be completely disconnected from the car in any physical way, just a dead piece plastic in your hands (2005 Toyota Prius, I'm looking at you here!)

Ah, thanks for the feedback. I will wait until I can get it essentially for free then, like less than $20 or hope for a better version next time around. I definitely won't like a sim that tries to only simulate "steering forces" since that's not nearly enough to simulate what's going on in the chassis as well (i.e. I want a driving simulator, not a "steering wheel simulator" - Wasn't there some other game that did this and it was absolutely awful?)
Even when you have a car with very little road feel on a sealed surface, you're still going to feel a lot more on an unsealed surface, as its not just minor surface changes anymore.

I've green lanes a number of Land Rovers, now on sealed roads these have zero feel for the road, the slack from the rack along with the sidewall ensures that, however even with that, on unsealed green lanes you feel the surface changes, as they are multiple magnitudes greater.

Taking into account that forcing my team gameplay to their servers was basically an anti-piracy thing, they might as well stop the forced connection once the goty version has been in the market for some months after some more sales.

Problem is that this is codemasters, and since dirt1 we know what these folks are about. Principle of least effort - max revenue, with Dirt Rally 1 being the one and only exception to thas rule during this already long fifteen years period they've been using EGO.

And what can be said about their Birmingham Studios ..; the very incarnation of what I said in the paragraph above.

I whinged and whinged and whinged about the add on pack prices..

S3&S4 reduced to £7.99 in UK so I have purchased. :)

Not really playing atm but whatever.

FFB was never "broken" to begin with.

The FFB in-game was designed to give the most accurate feeling relative to real forces on a car's steering column. This was something rally driver Ryan Champion worked hard on with the team.

The reason it feels off to some people is because you're missing the "bum in seat" forces a real car has, which most racing games compensate for by adding forces to the wheel.

Dev team heard the feedback (pun intended) loud and clear, but changing it is outside the scope of this title.

I like it. Gives good control of the car using my wheel on ps4.
I think the game overall is really good.
My favorite class is H2 rwd by far. I’ve yet to change setup or run other than med tires.
Stock bb works really well, on wheel I find all assists off best on the vintage cars.
I like the sharp contrast between the Alpine and the Ford.
I love the way those handle, no idea why a person would tune understeer into a rally car.
Nice to hear about the ffb from someone in the know.

Last edited:
Nice that this DLC nonsens has come to an end and the game has now a "Full Version" worthy amount of content when this version is available on the 27th...

Noticed that there was a trial for the game on xbox live, so I gave it a go.

Stages & Environment Design 👍👍
Sound Quality 👍👍👍
Dirt: 👍
Tarmac: :scared::crazy:

The game is pretty fun as long as you're on dirt. But my god the tarmac physics are atrocious....unplayable for me. I couldn't bring myself to finish the Spanish rally because the tarmac was so unfun. Pretty disappointed if I'm honest.

The snappy car behaviour you're noticing (probably on Cataluña) is because of the persistent bad camber at every corner, from left to right. You have to master the right foot as well as configuring your car properly, which means very low and very stiff (stiff bumpers, not the springs) among other things. Also, try not to use soft tyres in this rally, because you will need to keep your front tyres in check anytime you enter the "hard" sections and need to drift around. With softs, you will overheat them and lose control of the car when counter-steering. Use mediums (and in the rest of the rallies too, so you can drift safely for the entire stage).

Wheel geometry in Spain is capital as well. Keep camber equal (and high on º) on both trains (maybe a little higher on the rear to help drifting control when it comes), and if it is rwd, always more camber on the rears, as well as more or less 0'4º positive toe rear too.

To be honest, I actually find this rally to be the most fun out of all, keeping me on the edge at all times.

Have you tried Germany?, you shouldn't feel the snappy behaviour in this one. Set your car to be absolutely planted on the ground in this one as well, with very stiff bumpers (not springs).

I’m one of the few that doesn’t mind tarmac in DR2.0. It’s a big improvement from DR1 and D4 where the cars skidded around easily and the wheel felt light with minimal amounts of SAT. I’d describe tarmac in the older games as ‘feather physics’.

Then again I’m not a big skidder/slider driver and cut through hairpins, 90 degree angles and apexes. Suits my driving style just fine.

Got demo downloaded, so just getting, settings right first. Mini looks a lot better, than Dirt 4, feel ruts in surface, so that's a little different to. So first impressions, does seem a lot brighter, car moving off in front is a nice touch.

I don’t know about other cars but tarmac in Spain I find highly addictive in h2 or h3 rwd cars.
However ‘real’ some of you scientists determine it to be doesn’t concern me.
What makes it fun is being on edge and knowing a slight mistake and you are cooked.
I feel like there’s a nice window of grip there to use in stock settings med tire no aids, but get off line and you get pucker factor.
Very fun and addictive imo. I don’t know what to say to someone who doesn’t find the flow amazing on all those stages.

RWD is just too adictive in this game, with RgT cars like the Aston and the BMW being the ice on the cake, but still so glad the major focus was put on the classics once more. They know modern rally cars do suck at personality, and I love Codemasters doesn't give in on this department.

The ugly characterless modern rally cars may be way more advanced, specially on the dumpers and the differentials, but they will never be remembered like classics are.

My only question I have for the modern stuff is do you leave aids off or turn on some tcs or anything? On wheel...
Abs?
I’m assuming people use the modern tech in the more modern cars?
Times on dailies get crazy superhuman fast in those classes

All assists off, always, with modern R5 cars too although I don't play them, ever. Only the Skoda sometimes because I have good memories of the old '97 Felicia, and the WRC Fabia 2003.

The real R5 rally cars don't have assists anyway. They feature tremendously advanced differentials combined with the best bumping systems ever seen, only on The Dakar. That's why they handle so godly specially at drifting into and outta corners, which translates into dirt rally 2 pretty well too, specially with the Polo as usual.

How can people drift properly with assists?, rally is all about drifting except on tarmac, where it is still important to a very large extent anyway.

My guess is that those crazy times are achieved with ABS on, as usual in all racing games. It is what n00bs usually resort to in the virtual racing genre.

Last edited:
RWD is just too adictive in this game, with RgT cars like the Aston and the BMW being the ice on the cake, but still so glad the major focus was put on the classics once more. They know modern rally cars do suck at personality, and I love Codemasters doesn't give in on this department.

The ugly characterless modern rally cars may be way more advanced, specially on the dumpers and the differentials, but they will never be remembered like classics are.

Hope they build on it with the next game, with more film clips like the Historic rally mode and add the crazy crowds the era was known for, to up the difficulty even more!

Abs gotcha.
Thanks. I have it off for like h2. I’ll turn it on for r5. The bb works really well to get a bit of rotation on entry.
I like this game because stages are awesome weathers awesome night is awesome cars have excellent character and you can drive whatever pace you are comfortable with.
Oh yeah cockpit views are good.
I’m really quite shocked by some of the comments.
For ps4 this game is such a perfect counterpoint to a road racing online game.
I can’t say enough good things about it.
Only slight negative is some cost but imo it’s worth it for the unique experience it gives, and oh yeah PHENOMENAL sound from cockpit...
All the little bits too like animals on the road, crashed out cars, just sooo much excellent stuff here.

The snappy car behaviour you're noticing (probably on Cataluña) is because of the persistent bad camber at every corner, from left to right. You have to master the right foot as well as configuring your car properly, which means very low and very stiff (stiff bumpers, not the springs) among other things. Also, try not to use soft tyres in this rally, because you will need to keep your front tyres in check anytime you enter the "hard" sections and need to drift around. With softs, you will overheat them and lose control of the car when counter-steering. Use mediums (and in the rest of the rallies too, so you can drift safely for the entire stage).

Wheel geometry in Spain is capital as well. Keep camber equal (and high on º) on both trains (maybe a little higher on the rear to help drifting control when it comes), and if it is rwd, always more camber on the rears, as well as more or less 0'4º positive toe rear too.

To be honest, I actually find this rally to be the most fun out of all, keeping me on the edge at all times.

Have you tried Germany?, you shouldn't feel the snappy behaviour in this one. Set your car to be absolutely planted on the ground in this one as well, with very stiff bumpers (not springs).

I’m one of the few that doesn’t mind tarmac in DR2.0. It’s a big improvement from DR1 and D4 where the cars skidded around easily and the wheel felt light with minimal amounts of SAT. I’d describe tarmac in the older games as ‘feather physics’.

Then again I’m not a big skidder/slider driver and cut through hairpins, 90 degree angles and apexes. Suits my driving style just fine.

Got demo downloaded, so just getting, settings right first. Mini looks a lot better, than Dirt 4, feel ruts in surface, so that's a little different to. So first impressions, does seem a lot brighter, car moving off in front is a nice touch.

I don’t know about other cars but tarmac in Spain I find highly addictive in h2 or h3 rwd cars.
However ‘real’ some of you scientists determine it to be doesn’t concern me.
What makes it fun is being on edge and knowing a slight mistake and you are cooked.
I feel like there’s a nice window of grip there to use in stock settings med tire no aids, but get off line and you get pucker factor.
Very fun and addictive imo. I don’t know what to say to someone who doesn’t find the flow amazing on all those stages.
Yeah glad some of you also find it great and so much fun. I have no complaints and feels great on my g29 on std ps4.
I can feel easily each cars balance of weight and traction and power delivery and the road itself. And no problem from the game itself to control them, feeling the edge well on any surface or condition. Unless there's some cases i haven't noticed that could be poorer.

Also tomorrow is the last dlc release I'm pretty sure, the Scotland rally and career, cars, challenges of Colin Mcrae.

I have all dlc rallies and rally cars and I find it's alot of content, and surely will be getting this 1 too.
Cheers guys.
Oh 1 little thing sometimes annoys me hehe, sometimes miss shift on my g29 manual shifter, not sure if it's just me though but i did try adjust the clutch settings.

A silly other little annoyance is why does the replay start when im still in the menu lol. And wish i could save it

Last edited:
That sounds really cool. Unfortunately for my skill level that means I’ll be accidentally running into/over multiple spectators every stage

Well they could just have spectators spilling onto the stage before you reach them. I think an old GT game even had that on the rally stages.
(*Although one stage note needs to be "Severed fingers found on radiator." !)
I'm an average player too and my slow but steady approach is being tested by the 'Flat out' DLC but it's totally fitting to the man!
Love how I messed up a tight corner on one and had to take a short cut through some trees and still passed it.

Last edited:
Well they could just have spectators spilling onto the stage before you reach them. I think an old GT game even had that on the rally stages.
(*Although one stage note needs to be "Severed fingers found on radiator." !)
I'm an average player too and my slow but steady approach is being tested by the 'Flat out' DLC but it's totally fitting to the man!
Love how I messed up a tight corner on one and had to take a short cut through some trees and still passed it.

It was Gran Turismo 4 I believe on the Grand Canyon rally level.

Latest Posts

Back