DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
For PS4 this is definitely the best driving title imo, by far.
It just drives so well with wheel, sounds fabulous, looks fabulous...
All other driving titles excepting GTS on PS4 are leagues below the quality of DR2 imo.
Gts is good because online circuit racing/large online player base. The other circuit titles might have better physics more adjustments etc, but no player base compared to GTS no plug and play hop in and race live people immediately...AI? meh it’ll never be the same...
Plus the driving in those others can’t hold a candle to DR2.
Far and away the best pure driving on PS4 is DR2. If you like rally, you must get this.
I can understand why there’s 9 million worldwide cross platform on this title. It’s excellent.

Last edited:
DR2.0 is 2 or 3 times per week on my roster. It's such an awesome game.

Least favorite country: Sweden. Dull white and grey blend of everything. Too many straights too.

Love all the other content :D

I agree on the handling front, even before I got hired by Codemasters I was saying this game had the best handling model of the past 20 years. The game may be a bit barebones in some areas, but the driving is so good that it's worth playing for that alone regardless.
It's great on dirt surfaces, handling and FFB are really decent.
But I'm not convinced on tarmac, the cars just seem to grip and slide quite strangely, not helped by the vague FFB. Improved over dirt 1 but still some way to go to be really convincing imo. Especially when the wheel tugs to turn you in tighter on slower corners. Really odd.

It helps to reduce steering sensitivity for tarmac otherwise its really twitchy using the settings for non-tarmac stages but I still can't get a good feel.

Is this an acknowledged issue or am I the minority?

Wheel is T300 on PS4

Last edited:
^ While I do acknowledge there are games with better tarmac handling, DR2.0 is still quite nice. Especially the Monte Carlo stages with areas with snow cover asphalt. I can really enjoy that. Spain a bit less and Germany I also like a lot.

CSW2.5 on ps4pro

But I'm not convinced on tarmac, the cars just seem to grip and slide quite strangely, not helped by the vague FFB. Improved over dirt 1 but still some way to go to be really convincing imo. Especially when the wheel tugs to turn you in tighter on slower corners. Really odd.

It helps to reduce steering sensitivity for tarmac otherwise its really twitchy using the settings for non-tarmac stages but I still can't get a good feel.

Wheel is T300 on PS4
Tarmac handling is a known shortcoming. It's still good, but not perfect. Maybe next game (whatever that may be) will improve on that since we got a ton of feedback :)

That being said, Monte Carlo tarmac is amazing to drive on in my opinion.

Last edited:
Next game!? Is there a dirt rally 3.0 in the works? :bowdown:
Yeah monte carlo from what I remember is pretty good 👍
When DIRT 5 was announced we also confirmed that the Rally team is working on future projects. Basically, our way of saying “we haven’t abandoned rally, we have two DIRT studios now”.

What those projects are called, or if and when they are coming, that’s a secret ;)

I'm about to purchase Dirt Rally 2.0 while there's a Steam sale on. Is the Game of the Year edition the one to get? I'm a bit confused by from the articles I've read but am I right in saying it has all the DLC?

I'm about to purchase Dirt Rally 2.0 while there's a Steam sale on. Is the Game of the Year edition the one to get? I'm a bit confused by from the articles I've read but am I right in saying it has all the DLC?
GOTY has everything, yes.

DR2_GOTY_Content_List_PEGI.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe next game (whatever that may be) will improve on that since we got a ton of feedback :)
I'm afraid that won't be possible so long they keep on using EGO. What they have achieved with gravel physics on this engine really is commendable (after so many years of tuning it) given the true arcadish nature of the engine, but on Tarmac they haven't been able to hide this regardless tarmac handling on dirt2 is the best we have seen so far.

I mean they have already taken ego engine to its utmost limit in what it comes to making physics as realistic as possible with an engine like this, born to be pure arcady. I don't think it can be done better on tarmac than what achieved with dr2, which means that if dr3 continues to run on ego, then we will see more the same, or just another version of it on its own style.

Rumor has it they are already practicing on ue4 for their forthcoming WRC game, so with a bit of luck the next entry will run on a different engine, so we can say bye bye ego at long last.
ACC is the proof that UE can simulate very good or at least realistically aceptable physics.

That being said, Monte Carlo tarmac is amazing to drive on in my opinion.
Montecarlo is terrible on automatic gears. The have forced gears to change very quickly in order to sustain traction, but the effect is so annoying and intrusive that it makes the experience of driving this rally truly awful. And the worst part is that you can't turn this off somehow, but using manual gears for this rally specifically. I despise this design decision with a passion, let alone we cannot cancel it if we want to. This didn't happen on dr1 btw.

Best tarmac rally in this game undoubtedly is Spain, and those having trouble with it leads me to believe that they are not setting up their cars the proper way to run this rally.

Last edited:
Montecarlo is terrible on automatic gears. The have forced gears to change very quickly in order to sustain traction, but the effect is so annoying and intrusive that it makes the experience of driving this rally truly awful. And the worst part is that you can't turn this off somehow, but using manual gears for this rally specifically. I despise this design decision with a passion, let alone we cannot cancel it if we want to. This didn't happen on dr1 btw.

Best tarmac rally in this game undoubtedly is Spain, and those having trouble with it leads me to believe that they are not setting up their cars the proper way to run this rally.

Then stop using automatic gears.

So you claim that people who do not like the Spain tarmac stages, have their setups wrong. At the same time you are using automatic gears in a rally game and question the Monte carlo stages.

I'm afraid that won't be possible so long they keep on using EGO.... on Tarmac they haven't been able to hide this regardless tarmac handling on dirt2 is the best we have seen so far.

I mean they have already taken ego engine to its utmost limit in what it comes to making physics as realistic as possible with an engine like this, born to be pure arcady. I don't think it can be done better on tarmac than what achieved with dr2

Wait so are you saying that tarmac physics are poor?
Or that handling in Spain is good and those struggling just have poor set up?
Cos both can't be true...

Last edited:
Then stop using automatic gears.
Haven't used manual gears on a controller since the days of V-rally2, and only because that game screamed for using it. Only use manual when I plug the t300, but this game sucks so much on a wheel that it is not worth it. Much better handling on the controller as expected from any CM game, and in rally games, again, I play them on controller only, and auto gears. Wheel?, then I switch manual of course, but in the games that play properly on this peripheral.

Still, thank you for your worthless contribution.

So you claim that people who do not like the Spain tarmac stages, have their setups wrong.
I did claim that, yes.

At the same time you are using automatic gears in a rally game and question the Monte carlo stages.
And what does that have to do with using auto gears for questioning a design decision of CM (making your gearbox engage 5 or 6 gears whjile going at 60KM even less), not the Montecarlo stages themselves?, maybe you misunderstood my words on Montecarlo?, I didn't say Montecarlo stages suck. I did say that they suck on autogears the moment you run on Icy patches and snow in the upper parts, and that this cannot be undone with an option in the menu. Do you understand better now?

Average at best. Best ever done with EGO.

Or that handling in Spain is good and those struggling just have poor set up?
Tarmac handling on Spain stages is different due to the aggressive cambered roads, and many use this rally to say tarmac physics are poor, which is not. It's same tarmac physics as Germany and Montecarlo.

Cos both can't be true...
Well, yeh

Last edited:
Average at best. Best ever done with EGO.
Tarmac handling on Spain stages is different due to the aggressive cambered roads, and many use this rally to say tarmac physics are poor, which is not. It's same tarmac physics as Germany and Montecarlo.

I'm still confused! :lol:

So tarmac physics is average at best, but not poor?

OK then! :D

In my opinion, physics is definitely much worse on tarmac than it is on dirt surface in any case. And the weird physics gives weird FFB too on a wheel. And dirt rally rep acknowledges it's a shortcoming too.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

Last edited:

Wheel is T300 on PS4
Nope, I agree with you.

DR2 is an improvement on the original, but it’s got too many physics issues to be the best handling title on any platform, let alone PS4.

Hell it’s not even got the best dirt physics on PS4.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy it, but it’s not the physics zenith that some claim it to be.

Nope, I agree with you.

DR2 is an improvement on the original, but it’s got too many physics issues to be the best handling title on any platform, let alone PS4.

Hell it’s not even got the best dirt physics on PS4.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy it, but it’s not the physics zenith that some claim it to be.
You're a WRC fan? I see WRC 9 is half price on PSN at the mo...

ACC is the proof that UE can simulate very good or at least realistically aceptable physics.
ACC doesn’t use UE for its physics engine.

“Does AC Competizione use the UE4 Engine's physics?

AC Competizione will feature an evolution of the physics engine already used in Assetto Corsa, completely independent from UE4’s built in physics.”

https://m.facebook.com/nt/screen/?params={"note_id":3441736932610996}&path=/notes/&_rdr

You're a WRC fan? I see WRC 9 is half price on PSN at the mo...
For me as an overall product it’s as good as DR2 on the loose stuff, better on tarmac and has excellent stage design.

Last edited:
I think @fernandito , when the game punishes you, move on.
I don't understand what you are on seriously. Look:

And counting. Also, add 756 extra hours I had with the sparrow version for an entire year before they released the complete edition so I could purchase it and add to Steam, and now tell me again to move on, or that the game punishes me lol. Why?, because I don't like the Montecarlo rally, because of what they have done with auto gears in it, which is the only thing I said I disliked of this game?

Dude not sure whether or not you were braggin' about something, so all I'd say is just get your head out of the clouds. Take a deep breath of fresh air, and pull your finger out.

I'm still confused! :lol:

So tarmac physics is average at best, but not poor?

OK then! :D
Well.. eh..., uh? :)

In my opinion, physics is definitely much worse on tarmac than it is on dirt surface in any case. And the weird physics gives weird FFB too on a wheel. And dirt rally rep acknowledges it's a shortcoming too.
Well I did agree in a post above that this game sucks with the wheel because of the poor FFB, which is a case beyond me given the expert consultant they had for this task alone was that rally driver guy we see sometimes in some of CM videos, so..., CM games often better with a controller, specially DR2. Which i said too. (I have a t300 too, but use it mainly for track racing, not rally)

WRC is definitely the better game if you want to play a rally game with the wheel, as FFB is much better than that of DR2. Problem is that physics are jnot very good as usual with this series imho, so make your choice. Or play both I don't know.

ACC doesn’t use UE for its physics engine.

“Does AC Competizione use the UE4 Engine's physics?

AC Competizione will feature an evolution of the physics engine already used in Assetto Corsa, completely independent from UE4’s built in physics.”

https://m.facebook.com/nt/screen/?params={"note_id":3441736932610996}&path=/notes/&_rdr
ah yeh had forgotten about that. Maybe because acc physics doesn't even remotely feel as those of the original, but a trillion times better, I'd say it could be why.

Last edited:
All of a sudden Finland is unavailable to me? It says I don't own it. It isn't in my ready to install tab either. I'm on Xbox. Has anyone else run into this issue before?

Last edited:
One for WRC 2023 of course and a Dirt Rally 3.High Hopes.

I would imagine we'll see a Dirt Rally 3, bsck end of 2021 maybe, gives it enough time to sell and have a good year of expansion before the first WRC game in 2023. I would expect to see some foundation being planted for WRC in DR3. New game engine that can handle bigger environments and longer stages, all the usual next gen goodness. Hopefully it'll just be a next gen developed engine and game so it can be top notch from the get go.

Rumor has it they're practicing with UE4 for wrc'23. I mean, you guys sure we're seeing a DR3?, imho I don't think so.

And what about the Take Two's (or EA's?) takeover. Isn't that gonna affect anything either dr3 or wrc 2023?

Last edited:
Back