DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
Just did the my Xbox history museum thing. Turns out Dirt Rally 2.0 is my most played Xbox game of all time.
69BA3A1C-3728-40E4-B6D2-B6D6E7706CDE.png

A surprise, although I know I have put an awful lot of time in to it. I did kind of expect a Forza or Assassins Creed title to top the list. Forza Motorsport 4, 6 and 7 and F1 2020 are the rest of my top 5.

Last edited:
Get both.
Honestly I don’t think I’m into rallying enough to play such similar games. Maybe if they both went into massive sales I’d pick up both. But ideally I think I’d like to just pick one. From my understanding WRC has better stages, physics, and use of the DualSense controller, but damn the graphics of DR 2 look so good, and the sound is amazing. Also since Codemasters has the official WRC license for 2023 I figure I might as well get used to their games.

Honestly I don’t think I’m into rallying enough to play such similar games. Maybe if they both went into massive sales I’d pick up both. But ideally I think I’d like to just pick one. From my understanding WRC has better stages, physics, and use of the DualSense controller, but damn the graphics of DR 2 look so good, and the sound is amazing. Also since Codemasters has the official WRC license for 2023 I figure I might as well get used to their games.
If you can only choose one, choose Dirt Rally 2. The stages are still excellent (get the edition with both years updates and you have 13 rallies), it’s unbelievably satisfying to play, the sounds and visuals are top notch, the car selection is far superior (in my opinion) and it definitely plays better on a controller than the WRC games, 10 was an improvement but it’s still nowhere near Dirt Rally 2.

For me, this game is unplayable with xbox serie X and g920 because wheel friction and tire friction are missing !
ffb is much better on pc with this options at 0 !

Why this options are presents on ps5 and pc and no in xbox ??? It's same on v rally 4...
I bought an x series and in the end I can't play my racing games on it, a shame!

I noticed im still missing a few cars and the dlc rx tracks, plus liveries of course.

And the year 1 pass is just 6.74$ cad on pstore for ps4, it seems to include all added content to the base game unless im missing something?

Pretty damn good deal at that price, even for a few added cars and the rx tracks etc.

Im sorry my precious if i forgot about some content. 😁

Edit: i noticed if anyone is interested, the old Peugeot 205 t in dakar 18 is on sale too at 1$.

Edit 2**: now pretty strange this, i went to check again in the ps app store, and the contents im still missing is described as free to my account.

When i try click it to download it says can't for now.

i went on my ps4 directly, and see the regular price for each dlc im missing, when i click on each, it says download, as if im already allowed to access this content.

But when i click again download, it says sorry cant access this content for now.

Now i don't know if i need buy the year one pass or not to access these, with the sale ending in a day or 2. ??

Bit of a mess often the ps store and ps4 game related contents.

Could it be just a temporary problem in ps servers, maybe ill try reset licenses.

Edit3: did restore licenses, same thing, probably you can't buy separate content anymore, and have to buy the passes?

they should update the store correctly, oh well, pretty sure i need get the year one pass.
Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Quick question, dirt rally 1 is only 5 euro on the PS Store. I figured it might be worth it for Pikes Peak alone, but do you need to unlock cars and tracks etc to play it? Cause I'm not going to play an inferior version of DR2.0 just for that.

Quick question, dirt rally 1 is only 5 euro on the PS Store. I figured it might be worth it for Pikes Peak alone, but do you need to unlock cars and tracks etc to play it? Cause I'm not going to play an inferior version of DR2.0 just for that.
Inferior ? Not in my opinion. No you don't have to unlock the cars, you can set up a custom event and everything is unlocked. Have fun 👍

Inferior ? Not in my opinion. No you don't have to unlock the cars, you can set up a custom event and everything is unlocked. Have fun 👍
Cheers. Thanks.

Well the graphics looked pretty poor compared to DR2 judging from the trailer and I read (I think in this very thread) that the physics arent as good either, especially the tarmac.

But Pikes Peak sounds pretty awesome.. :)

But Pikes Peak sounds pretty awesome.
If you are specifically interested in Pikes Peak may I suggest waiting for a sale on Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO? The graphics, sound and optimization are terrible, but you have three versions of the hill climb: gravel, asphalt and mixed. And you can use any car in the game, from the hillclimb cars all the way down to the Clio Williams, and the physics are quite good. It runs well on PS4 Pro with boost mode but on base PS4 it's 30fps. Oh, and you would have to play some single player to unlock cars.

Dr1 has the 3 versions of pikes peak, tarmac, dirt, mixed, each awesome.
Just love fast curvy roads with risky awe inspiring surroundings.
It's really well made, looks great, runs well on std ps4 for me.
The biggest downside is just 3 cars for it, on all 3 versions, and 1 more modern car for tarmac.

But the 3 cars are old group b souped up cars, they are super fun on that track, and the added downforce helps lessen the light feel of dr1.

Plus when you run on mixed surface, the tires are either mixed or tarmac, so it slides more than when on full dirt, so it's a little more than just mixed surface differentiation.

The replay is super cool.

Only thing is it takes some storage space, wish we could only install pikes peak.

Edit: you can run it in day, dry, wet, rain, and sundown.

Last edited:
This game is incredible. I bought my first wheel (Fanatec GT DD Pro) and played GTS with it and its good, but god damn is it amazing with Dirt Rally 2.0.

Took me a long time to even be able to finish a stage, but now I have won some rallies with the classic Lancia and moved on to R2 Ford Fiesta. The cars feel so different and the different surfaces effect you so much. Feeling it all through the wheel is just mind-blowing to a complete novice like me.

I had to start watching the WRC 2022 season too because the game gives me such an appreciation to the people actually doing rally racing for real.

If you are specifically interested in Pikes Peak may I suggest waiting for a sale on Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO? The graphics, sound and optimization are terrible, but you have three versions of the hill climb: gravel, asphalt and mixed. And you can use any car in the game, from the hillclimb cars all the way down to the Clio Williams, and the physics are quite good. It runs well on PS4 Pro with boost mode but on base PS4 it's 30fps. Oh, and you would have to play some single player to unlock cars.
Sounds good too. I just started playing DR2.0 as my first rally game ever since it wss free with PS Plus some time ago. Had it in my library and figured I'd give it a go and been enjoying it a lot ever since. I enjoy trying different things every now and then, not a F1 fan for example but really enjoyed F1 2019 which I bought dirt cheap too..

For now I make do with DR1 and 2 but I'll keep it on my radar.
Dr1 has the 3 versions of pikes peak, tarmac, dirt, mixed, each awesome.
Just love fast curvy roads with risky awe inspiring surroundings.
It's really well made, looks great, runs well on std ps4 for me.
The biggest downside is just 3 cars for it, on all 3 versions, and 1 more modern car for tarmac.

But the 3 cars are old group b souped up cars, they are super fun on that track, and the added downforce helps lessen the light feel of dr1.

Plus when you run on mixed surface, the tires are either mixed or tarmac, so it slides more than when on full dirt, so it's a little more than just mixed surface differentiation.

The replay is super cool.

Only thing is it takes some storage space, wish we could only install pikes peak.

Edit: you can run it in day, dry, wet, rain, and sundown.
Thanks. Bummer about the 3 cars though

This game is incredible. I bought my first wheel (Fanatec GT DD Pro) and played GTS with it and its good, but god damn is it amazing with Dirt Rally 2.0.

Took me a long time to even be able to finish a stage, but now I have won some rallies with the classic Lancia and moved on to R2 Ford Fiesta. The cars feel so different and the different surfaces effect you so much. Feeling it all through the wheel is just mind-blowing to a complete novice like me.

I had to start watching the WRC 2022 season too because the game gives me such an appreciation to the people actually doing rally racing for real.
You could try assetto corsa, its cheap, and for me the feel with wheel is super satisfying.

The setup for ffb is simple, lots cool cars, good sounds, ai, enough tracks, smooth even on std ps4, cars look great, you can do custom championships etc.
A jewel for me.
Edit: and great replay.

Last edited:
You could try assetto corsa, its cheap, and for me the feel with wheel is super satisfying.

The setup for ffb is simple, lots cool cars, good sounds, ai, enough tracks, smooth even on std ps4, cars look great, you can do custom championships etc.
A jewel for me.
I'll wishlist it and wait for a sale since I don't have the time now.

Anyone got any tips voor driving on ice? Is it faster to minimize the sliding and drive on the edge of breaking grip, or just go sideways all the way?

And is it better to keep it in higher gear?

Anyone got any tips voor driving on ice? Is it faster to minimize the sliding and drive on the edge of breaking grip, or just go sideways all the way?

And is it better to keep it in higher gear?
  • Find the snowy bits, they have more grip.
  • Find the tarmac bits, they have more grip.
  • Don't spin the wheels too much.
  • Don't brake too hard.
  • Normal gearing + lower throttle works for me, but I can see the logic in higher gears.
  • When you see dry tarmac, go like hell.

• Don't brake too hard.
  • Normal gearing + lower throttle works for me, but I can see the logic in higher gears.
Cool thanks for the tips. Did my first rally at Monaco and came first. Really cool driving on those mixed conditions.

I thought I was superslow on the ice parts but some stages I finished well ahead of the competition. I definitely keep it in a higher gear btw, theres plenty of wheelspin anyway

I just hope it means some news is coming.
Would love 1 final Dirt Rally before they switch to the annual WRC titles. I'm sure there will still be non-current WRC cars in those titles, but I can't imagine it will be to the extent we have in the first two DR titles.

I'm also curious about what happens to the WRX content.

Last edited:
Would love 1 final Dirt Rally before they switch to the annual WRC titles. I'm sure there will still be non-current WRC cars in those titles, but I can't imagine it will be to the extent we have in the first two DR titles.

I'm also curious about what happens to the WRX content.

At this stage I think it's a balancing act for them. If they do another Dirt Rally, it has to be this year as the first WRC title from Codies is slated for 2023. Would they want to develop a full rally game the year before their first ever fully WRC licensed game? I'm not so sure. That said, there were plenty of hints at DR3 being in development, if that's the case then surely it needs to be announced soon and release Q2 2022 at the latest.

The rebranding on twitter to EA Sports Rally is interesting, and I wonder if that could signify something like this being split to 2 different teams? Who knows.

• Don't brake too hard.
Dont use auto gears either, it doesn't like it.

Dirt Rally 2 GOTY and Dirt Rally 1 is on sale in PS Store. I don't know which one to get, anyone can give me the pros and cons from both games? I already tried DR1 at my friend's house but it's around 5 bucks now and it's tempting. DR2 is around 3 times the price. Just want to know if that's worth it.

Dirt Rally 2 GOTY and Dirt Rally 1 is on sale in PS Store. I don't know which one to get, anyone can give me the pros and cons from both games? I already tried DR1 at my friend's house but it's around 5 bucks now and it's tempting. DR2 is around 3 times the price. Just want to know if that's worth it.
Dr2 goty has double the stages/rallies, lot more cars, better sounds still, has the changing road degradation depending on your starting position, lot more rallycross content, better finish all around, and i feel at least, nicer with a wheel.

Dr1 has pikes peak stages, a long cool hillclimb mountain road, but only usable with 3 or 4 cars.

Yehhh at this point it's probably worth it to get DR2, it's overall an update to the first. All the rallies from DR1 were added to the second game as DLC (which will be in the GOTY edition), and as said unless you have a particular desire to race a few specific cars (a.k.a. Pikes Peak and that year's World RX cars), there's just more stuff to do in it

DR2 is always online however, including career mode, so if you lose/play without a connection your progress won't be saved

Back