DiRT Rally 2.0 General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 2,761 comments
DR2 is always online however, including career mode, so if you lose/play without a connection your progress won't be saved
There are some offline-only modes though, such as Historic Championships and the Colin McRae events.

It is mostly online though, as Daily leaderboard challenges make up the bulk of the Career.

Yehhh at this point it's probably worth it to get DR2, it's overall an update to the first. All the rallies from DR1 were added to the second game as DLC (which will be in the GOTY edition), and as said unless you have a particular desire to race a few specific cars (a.k.a. Pikes Peak and that year's World RX cars), there's just more stuff to do in it

DR2 is always online however, including career mode, so if you lose/play without a connection your progress won't be saved
Always online is kind of a deal breaker. I hated those things.

@PJTierney

Hi,

I've just installed DiRT Rally 2 again. Going to get back into the dailies, weeklies and monthly events along with a Friend on Playstation.

Anyway, I'm sure i've asked something like this before but I want to make sure to avoid getting into issues or getting banned.

I have Custom Liveries installed through Race Department and DeLivery. Can I do the Daily, Weekly and Monthly events while using them? I remember that in the actual multiplayer mode it is best not to but I forget If its ok in the Online Events.

I think you said before liveries are fine but I want to make sure to be safe. Last thing I want is to be banned or even worse get a VAC ban on my Steam account. 😊

Last edited:
@PJTierney

Hi,

I've just installed DiRT Rally 2 again. Going to get back into the dailies, weeklies and monthly events along with a Friend on Playstation.

Anyway, I'm sure i've asked something like this before but I want to make sure to avoid getting into issues or getting banned.

I have Custom Liveries installed through Race Department and DeLivery. Can I do the Daily, Weekly and Monthly events while using them? I remember that in the actual multiplayer mode it is best not to but I forget If its ok in the Online Events.

I think you said before liveries are fine but I want to make sure to be safe. Last thing I want is to be banned or even worse get a VAC ban on my Steam account. 😊
I've been using custom liveries in the online career events for some time with no issue (other than my lack of talent).

I've been using custom liveries in the online career events for some time with no issue (other than my lack of talent).
Ok, I thought it would be fine just wanted to make sure. thanks for the answer. 👍

Dirt Rally 2 GOTY and Dirt Rally 1 is on sale in PS Store. I don't know which one to get, anyone can give me the pros and cons from both games? I already tried DR1 at my friend's house but it's around 5 bucks now and it's tempting. DR2 is around 3 times the price. Just want to know if that's worth it.
One other reason to get original dirt rally on PlayStation is for psvr, that is of course if you have vr.

Anyone into Custom and Modded liveries on PC have any other good places to look other than Race Department? I've pretty much seen and discovered everything on there. Great stuff but the community has slowed a bit producing new liveries.

Codemasters “Biggest AAA Game” is World Rally Championship Amid QA Troubles​

Job listings of Codemasters’ “most ambitious and biggest” AAA game were first revealed in August 2021, hyping up racing fans about the possibilities of what the title could be.

According to sources familiar with Codemasters plans, the title is on the World Rally Championship.

I am not happy.

Codemasters “Biggest AAA Game” is World Rally Championship Amid QA Troubles​

I am not happy.
I can see the 'arcade' Dirt releases staying, as they really don't focus on rally anymore, as Dirt 5 highlighted, and unfortunately Dirt Rally getting canned for WRC doesn't surprise me at all. I think the first WRC release is going to be rocky, and not just for the QA issues, they have big boots to fill given what the current devs have done with the WRC series.

I would be interested to see if @PJTierney can throw any light on to it, but understand fully if he can't.

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see where this all goes. The loss of the name would cap off some 15 years of this stuff
I can see the 'arcade' Dirt releases staying
Under the impression that a hypothetical Dirt 6 isn't on the cards any time soon (or even at all), especially following Dirt 5 and the restructuring of Cheshire studio. And WRC is now a full time commitment for what is reportedly the Dirt Rally team at Southam. Not like Birmingham would be able to take it on. Kind of looks like this is it

Will be interesting to see where this all goes. The loss of the name would cap off some 15 years of this stuff

Under the impression that a hypothetical Dirt 6 isn't on the cards any time soon (or even at all), especially following Dirt 5 and the restructuring of Cheshire studio. And WRC is now a full time commitment for what is reportedly the Dirt Rally team at Southam. Not like Birmingham would be able to take it on. Kind of looks like this is it
Oh well, no real loss from my perspective.

Serves it right for having a photo-mode without replays (no, I'm never going to drop this bugbear).

I always assumed that the next Dirt Rally game would be rebranded to take advantage of the WRC licence. I look forward to seeing how things have evolved since 2.0 (though not enough to pre order). It's a bit concerning to see CM lose some sense of their identity, even their older games on steam are now listed under the EA Sports brand.

So, new weekly event, Monaco/R5, 6 stages. Quite a scruffy first stage with a couple spins (20+ secs on first) but managed to keep everything pointed the right way for the rest, I was very happy with the last run in particular... only to see this:

Leaderboard.jpgMain Menu error.jpg

What's weird is that anytime there's been connection issues before (be it my end or there), I've not been able to load up either. Yet here I can load the leader-board just fine, minus the ghost of 17th that never was. After a few minutes I left it hoping it would fix itself, come back an hour and nada.

It's going to be a real kick in the teeth if I do end up losing that time, it's probably the best I've managed on an online event... :irked:

Having a good time with Dirt 2.0 hadn't installed it on the PS5 until GT7 malaise set in. If the new licenced game is based on D2 it could be quite promising. It then becomes a case of waiting to see the release pattern... if they're going to milk the licence every year with F1 style reskins there is no point in early adopting, better to wait for sales.

Last edited:
It then becomes a case of waiting to see the release pattern... if they're going to milk the licence every year with F1 style reskins there is no point in early adopting, better to wait for sales.
Pretty sure that annual releases will be a condition of the licence, I would be very surprised if it's not.

Pretty sure that annual releases will be a condition of the licence, I would be very surprised if it's not.
Its the EA way for sure, to be mitigated by my usual buy later on sale only stance. Trouble with the yearly updates is they are generally good games, but go stale real quickly.

Its the EA way for sure, to be mitigated by my usual buy later on sale only stance. Trouble with the yearly updates is they are generally good games, but go stale real quickly.
But that's fine, if your not obsessed with Rally then just buy every other year and then there's no burnout and you get to witness bigger changes/improvements instead of smaller incremental steps. Win win :)

But that's fine, if your not obsessed with Rally then just buy every other year and then there's no burnout and you get to witness bigger changes/improvements instead of smaller incremental steps. Win win :)
A good strategy, but that might be thwarted by paying for stages and cars, let's see how they approach it when it drops. I do think it's a shame our favourite pass time is being monetized and ravaged by dubious capitalist practices. On the other hand the quality of games has never been better, and the cost to produce them has increased substantially.

A good strategy, but that might be thwarted by paying for stages and cars, let's see how they approach it when it drops. I do think it's a shame our favourite pass time is being monetized and ravaged by dubious capitalist practices. On the other hand the quality of games has never been better, and the cost to produce them has increased substantially.
Given that there isn't really any DLC with the current WRC games under KT, (apart from a completely unnecessary few cars/career step up at launch via the deluxe package), I really hope CM/EA doesn't go down this dark route, in fact it would be outrageous if they did considering how much content you get with the KT games in the base package. It would not only look bad on their part but be absolutely blatant bad behaviour especially when compared to what we have had for the last 6-7 games.

I'm looking forward to see what CM produce but if I'm being honest I wish the series had stayed with KT, that way we would have probably had Dirt Rally 3 by now and the continued fantastic evolution of the WRC games.

Having a hard time fixing understeer on older 4x4 cars like the quattro, delta etc.

I tried all setup ways and does almost nothing.
Also tried change how to drive it.
Even setting 70% power to rear, open central differential, front too,,negative camber on the front to help turn in, nothing works.
Firmer rear suspension too i tried.

When i watch real rally videos, they seem to power out of curves fine, with some oversteer and little understeer.

But in dr2, as soon as i hit the throttle it goes straight lol. Even if try to go easy on it.

It's a race car,seems it should turn even if under power somewhat lol.
Any clue?

Edit: i know that version of quattro was maybe prone to understeer more than earlier ones.

Last edited:
Having a hard time fixing understeer on older 4x4 cars like the quattro, delta etc.

I tried all setup ways and does almost nothing.
Also tried change how to drive it.
Even setting 70% power to rear, open central differential, front too,,negative camber on the front to help turn in, nothing works.
Firmer rear suspension too i tried.

When i watch real rally videos, they seem to power out of curves fine, with some oversteer and little understeer.

But in dr2, as soon as i hit the throttle it goes straight lol. Even if try to go easy on it.

It's a race car,seems it should turn even if under power somewhat lol.
Any clue?

Edit: i know that version of quattro was maybe prone to understeer more than earlier ones.
Those cars feel accurate in that they would tend to understeer in reality.

In game (as in reality) they need to be thrown into corners aggressively with left foot braking, using the weight shift to set the car sideways, then using the power to continue the slide out of the corner.

Once this clicks with you, go back and watch old videos of the same cars, you’ll find the characteristics are quite similar to how they’re modelled in game.

Those cars feel accurate in that they would tend to understeer in reality.
Yep, 100% that. Group B cars were notorious for it (especially with more rudimentary transmission) and the Group A cars have to be driven aggressively to get the best out of them.

Back