DIRT Rally 2.0 Reaches End of Life With Final Planned Update

Just because there are no more patches scheduled doesn't mean the game is entirely done however :)

With Features like Clubs and the Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges, there'll always be something worth coming back for even if there's no new "content". Personally I do the Dailies during every lunchbreak, as I like keeping my driving instincts sharp.

In fact, DiRT Rally (1) still has Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges to this day, so it's not like we're shutting the whole game down or anything :)

Patch notes by the way, since I didn't see them in the article:

Version 1.17

February 16, 2021
Locations:​
  • Höljes, Sweden - Adjusted track limits to prevent significant corner-cutting in rare instances.​

Miscellaneous:
  • Adjusted performance of dynamic trackside signage.​
  • Minor bug fixes and stability improvements (none notable enough to be highlighted).​

This is currently the final scheduled update for DiRT Rally 2.0.​

Last edited:
With Features like Clubs and the Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges, there'll always be something worth coming back for even if there's no new "content". Personally I do the Dailies during every lunchbreak, as I like keeping my driving instincts sharp.

In fact, DiRT Rally (1) still has Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges to this day, so it's not like we're shutting the whole game down or anything
That's a point I was about to type into the piece when my youngest distracted me (yet again) and my train of thought got derailed. I'll add a line.

Edit: I was also typing something about the McRae stages update, but I can't jam that in now :lol:

Last edited:
That's a point I was about to type into the piece when my youngest distracted me (yet again) and my train of thought got derailed. I'll add a line.
No worries, thanks for sharing word of the update to begin with :)

We saw in 2020 how the motorsport world took Clubs and used it as a tool to build their own esports events; I wouldn't be surprised if more groups do the same in 2021. In fact, I myself will be competing in one again soon (I finished 2nd last year).

There's also the official esports series which finishes next weekend, Thrustmaster were recently announced as the official partner.

It also has to be said that two years (anniversary is on Monday) is a heck of a run for a niche rally game, and it's great to see player numbers are still as high as they are :)

Last edited:
As long as the community events keep going I’m fine with update support coming to an end as that means more focus will be put on the next game. Although after the last couple non-F1 Codies games my anticipation level is rather low.

As long as the community events keep going I’m fine with update support coming to an end as that means more focus will be put on the next game. Although after the last couple non-F1 Codies games my anticipation level is rather low.
Rally team has been focused on future projects for a long time. It's why this minor update came almost 6 months after the last one.

There is a separate team for Rally and DIRT 5 now.

I still play this game regularly each week when I can, it really never goes stale for me to jump into a rally. I truly can't wait to see what they do with the Dirt Rally series. 👍

Rain looks bad after the update (PS4 Pro). I just attempted the daily challenge in Australia for H2 RWD, but had to exit because the rain effect was painful to look at. Never had this problem before. Please investigate.

Edit: Apparently it’s an old and random bug that I just happened to see today.

Last edited:
Rain looks bad after the update (PS4 Pro). I just attempted the daily challenge in Australia for H2 RWD, but had to exit because the rain effect was painful to look at. Never had this problem before. Please investigate.
I once had a bug while doing rallycross with friends where the rain on my screen was super thick and I had literally no visibility, but it was resolved after that race and I haven't had it since

I once had a bug while doing rallycross with friends where the rain on my screen was super thick and I had literally no visibility, but it was resolved after that race and I haven't had it since

Yes, thick and hard to see anything. I’ll try again later and see if it’s any different.

That’s an old bug that’s always been there and never resolved.
Usually if you exit and re enter it will be back to normal.

Ok, I went for another session in the rain and it looked fine again. Odd how I encountered the bug right after installing the update.

Just because there are no more patches scheduled doesn't mean the game is entirely done however :)

In fact, DiRT Rally (1) still has Daily/Weekly/Monthly Challenges to this day, so it's not like we're shutting the whole game down or anything :)

Patch notes by the way, since I didn't see them in the article:

Why is the update 14.7GB on Steam? The published notes are clearly not complete. It shouldn't take 14.7GB to fix a track limits exploit and trackside signage.

And lets be honest the "None notable to be highlighted" remark is rather annoying. If i'm downloading 14.7gb I want to know what it is and what it changes. I'm fortunate to have decent internet that's not the issue. Its just every other game can do very detailed patch notes but you guys come out with lets be honest, A massive update... And there's pretty much nothing in it? Just sounds fishy.

Last edited:
Well, here's hoping dirt rally 3 is in the works, would feel like a long time waiting for the wrc license to kick in

Why is the update 14.7GB on Steam? The published notes are clearly not complete. It shouldn't take 14.7GB to fix a track limits exploit and trackside signage.

And lets be honest the "None notable to be highlighted" remark is rather annoying. If i'm downloading 14.7gb I want to know what it is and what it changes. I'm fortunate to have decent internet that's not the issue. Its just every other game can do very detailed patch notes but you guys come out with lets be honest, A massive update... And there's pretty much nothing in it? Just sounds fishy.
The track is 9-10 GB on its own and for track limits updates the whole thing needs to be redownloaded.

The signage system is probably a few GB too, considering the console update came to 10GB and dynamic signage is currently only on PC.

I went through all the internal dev tickets when compiling the notes and anything else in the update are not player-facing things; it’s all code-based, server stuff etc.

If you look at previous updates (example below) you’ll see I go into detail with the notes; I even rewrote the 6-7 patches before I joined the company as I felt they weren’t detailed enough, so don’t throw the fish my way please ;)

pSiU5Bz.png

Last edited:
I quit playing GTSport just for the DR2.0 Impreza Wrc 2001, I drive it every day, the engine sound is almost perfect, pure music, better than Beethoven. Not much interested in the other cars though. The last update gave it slightly more grip? Maybe it's just me.

I just bought this on PC - GOTY edition - for just £6.29 on Fanatical.(Killer Bundle 15 tier 2).
You get it in a bundle with 7 additional steam games for that price. Amazing value.
(I already have it on PS5 (via PS4 backwards compatibility) but couldn't say no to this bargain).

@PJTierney I didn't know you work for Codemasters. Can I ask you a little thing: in DR4 there was a workaround to watch an entire stage replay in cockpit view, like this index.jpg
Unfortunately it doesn't work in DR 2.0.
Of course it's a hopeless question, but who knows, a little "cheat"code , glitch, or whatever nobody found out yet?

Last edited:
@PJTierney I didn't know you work for Codemasters. Can I ask you a little thing: in DR4 there was a workaround to watch an entire stage replay in cockpit view, like this View attachment 992457
Unfortunately it doesn't work in DR 2.0.
Of course it's a hopeless question, but who knows, a little "cheat"code , glitch, or whatever nobody found out yet?
With the central car view? I don't think so as it always cycles between the internal cams.

Closest you'll get is using one of the game cameras, like Cockpit or Dashboard.

Back