DiRT Rally 2.0 Review: The New Rally Sim Standard

MXH
@SlipZtrEm I stand corrected. My memory clearly failed me there.

:ouch:

No worries, I'm a big nerd, that's all. :lol:

Maybe not, but it certainly doesn't bode well for anyone's opinion of the game that it requires an internet connection for what essentially amounts to managing engineers.

The fact that it is placed upon the one mode in the game which will get the most amount of play with consumers, and dropped five days before release, should be a massive red flag, among the many others that have been present in the lead up to this game's release.

Do you only speak in hyperbole?

Maybe not, but it certainly doesn't bode well for anyone's opinion of the game that it requires an internet connection for what essentially amounts to managing engineers..

Also I've just checked and you can manage your engineers offline. So if that's important to you then rest assured.

Great review. It is a shame that the career mode requires an internet connection, but since my PS4 is hardwired and I have very reliable internet that isn't a problem for me. However, I can certainly see why it would be an issue for others.

The original Dirt Rally was fantastic and I want Codemasters to continue with this series so I'll be buying Dirt Rally 2.0 day one as well.

On another note, @SlipZtrEm have you ever thought about doing video reviews? I really enjoyed reading your review, but I think it would be great to see some gameplay, too.

Great review. It is a shame that the career mode requires an internet connection, but since my PS4 is hardwired and I have very reliable internet that isn't a problem for me. However, I can certainly see why it would be an issue for others.

The original Dirt Rally was fantastic and I want Codemasters to continue with this series so I'll be buying Dirt Rally 2.0 day one as well.

On another note, @SlipZtrEm have you ever thought about doing video reviews? I really enjoyed reading your review, but I think it would be great to see some gameplay, too.

:cheers:

Oh, I have. I even did a bunch of them for DLC car packs last year. The issue is the turn-around on videos is even longer than a 2000-word article, since it still needs the writing plus the recording and editing. They're a lot of fun, though!

If you're on a PS4 and using a G29 then the FFB appears to be broken at the moment.

There's just a vague resistance to turning the wheel, and a slight feeling of re-recntering - no information at all. Also options such as tire slip and engine vibration appear to be disabled for the G29.

Not a good start.

If you're on a PS4 and using a G29 then the FFB appears to be broken at the moment.

There's just a vague resistance to turning the wheel, and a slight feeling of re-recntering - no information at all. Also options such as tire slip and engine vibration appear to be disabled for the G29.

Not a good start.

Appears to be affecting all Logitech by the look of it. Mine did feel quite numb yesterday (G920).

Appears to be affecting all Logitech by the look of it. Mine did feel quite numb yesterday (G920).

I've managed to mitigate it to some degree by calibrating the wheel to 540° and I'm now getting usable self aligning torque, but there's no vibration or feeling when you go through a bump - It feels like driving on smooth slidy tarmac.

Going back to DR1 and experiencing the FFB there is like wow in comparison.

https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/34778-ff-feels-dead-in-dr2-as-compared-to-dr1/

it appears to be not only the Logitech wheels. Perhaps it needs use adjusting or a patch from CM?
Just about to fire it for a first play before heading to work but reading the same on the Steam forums. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds.

Edit: Just checking forums whilst I wait for it to unpack *sigh*

Anyone on PC suffering a stutter every couple of seconds might want to try unplugging their Logitech wheel and seeing if it improves. Seen that reported quite a bit. Seems to be a whole host of issues with wheels which is pretty ironic for a game that is being pushed as a hardcore sim.

Last edited:
I genuinely feel like some people played a different DiRT 4 to me. After a week I had seen pretty much everything it had to offer in terms of track design, it was as basic as it could be - environments too. WRC 7 crushed it in that department, it wasnt even a contest.

Its all a matter of taste but give me handcrafted content over simplistic generated stages any day.

If there are so many people complaining about those FF issues why the reviews didn't mention this?
I genuinely feel like some people played a different DiRT 4 to me. After a week I had seen pretty much everything it had to offer in terms of track design, it was as basic as it could be - environments too. WRC 7 crushed it in that department, it wasnt even a contest.

Its all a matter of taste but give me handcrafted content over simplistic generated stages any day.

I agree with you that handcrafted stages have more charm and feel more involved in general but I must say that Your Stage was a good idea even if I didn't really like it when starting at launch. Same feeling as you had. However, meanwhile I am able to see its potential. The pacenotes with this system were spot on. The ease of creating stages and choosing its settings are absolutely great. The fundamental thing that Codies has done wrong is to drop D4 support almost direct after launch. If they had invested in further development of YourStage, meaning adding tiles and add some interesting stuff to the scenery, it could have been abolsutely great.

Currently I am running a custom D4 championship and I am surprised how much fun it is. Didn't touch D4 for a long time. Creating stages needs care and you have to create custom stages from around 7 to 8 KM to prevent lot of repetition. Next to that you have to make sure to layout the custom stages everytime in different environments! That is very important. I created a couple of stages in Australia with all a bit around the same environment. I ended up with quite a few similar parts. If spreading them on the map, the issue is less prone.

Definitely worth a revisit @Brend 👍

Your not alone, I share this view completely.

If there are so many people complaining about those FF issues why the reviews didn't mention this?

I agree with you that handcrafted stages have more charm and feel more involved in general but I must say that Your Stage was a good idea even if I didn't really like it when starting at launch. Same feeling as you had. However, meanwhile I am able to see its potential. The pacenotes with this system were spot on. The ease of creating stages and choosing its settings are absolutely great. The fundamental thing that Codies has done wrong is to drop D4 support almost direct after launch. If they had invested in further development of YourStage, meaning adding tiles and add some interesting stuff to the scenery, it could have been abolsutely great.

Currently I am running a custom D4 championship and I am surprised how much fun it is. Didn't touch D4 for a long time. Creating stages needs care and you have to create custom stages from around 7 to 8 KM to prevent lot of repetition. Next to that you have to make sure to layout the custom stages everytime in different environments! That is very important. I created a couple of stages in Australia with all a bit around the same environment. I ended up with quite a few similar parts. If spreading them on the map, the issue is less prone.

Yet even if you set them to 7 - 8 km you still can affect the repetition.

As examples the square right/left are the exact same for each location (and in the majority just a mirror of each other), the hairpins are the same and the entirety of Wales just seems like the same 200m of stage repeated over and over, particularly when you are out of the trees. Come over s crest and the same winding left right descent is in front of you the majority of the time.

Quite honestly the stage generator in V-Rally 4 is far better.

I'm so pleased to hear that the FFB in DR 2.0 feels numb on Logitech steering wheels. I hate FFB! :mad:

:mischievous:

Is there any official news on the season 2 content yet?

You’ve hit on my problem I have with it in your post! If Your Stage was part of another developer’s game it probably would have been expanded on but with Codemasters it just fell to the wayside as many of their titles often do after launch. Then ironically its the opposite of the way people are acting about DR2 because the lack of hand crafted stages really stand out.

That combined with the off-feeling hardcore handling made the game a 7.5/10 and no more for me. Over time, Your Stage drops it to 6/10 on my scale.

@Scaff - and V Rally 4 didnt have to drop real stages to have one either. Funny that.

V-Rally 4_20190218200149.png
Yet even if you set them to 7 - 8 km you still can affect the repetition.

As examples the square right/left are the exact same for each location (and in the majority just a mirror of each other), the hairpins are the same and the entirety of Wales just seems like the same 200m of stage repeated over and over, particularly when you are out of the trees. Come over s crest and the same winding left right descent is in front of you the majority of the time.

Quite honestly the stage generator in V-Rally 4 is far better.

True Scaff! V-Rally4 does a much better job but the way the stages are generated are completely different. D4 has the problem of repetitiveness and I only wanted to point out how to reduce them as good as possible. Some sections repeating are inevitable due to the lack of tiles. Still, some good fun can be had 👍

The environments in VRally4 are also more varied and the locations and maps give some really lovely stages. Kylotonn did a great job and they truely have a feeling for creating engaging stages, even generated.

Totally agree with you. I spent so little time with Dirt 4 because it was just Meh!

Unpacking took an age so only managed one stage this morning but I'm already very happy. It looks very nice, car had a nice feel to it, could feel it's weight very nicely and it reacted in a very realistic way. Pace notes and delivery are superb, very authentic and add hugely to the immersion.

However, onto ffb, it's not great. I use a Fanatec CSW v2 and whilst not terrible there are very little extra ffb effects, I feel wheel weight and the steering goes light when I would expect but I'm getting no sense of road feel or jolts from the surface. There is a strange vibration that I think might be trying to simulate road feel but that will be getting turned off as I'm not a fan of fake ffb effects. I didn't spend anytime messing about with is so don't know if it can be fixed without a patch but I suspect not.

I'm off to pick my wife and daughter up from the caravan tonight where they been relaxing for half term whilst I've been slaving away at work so won't get a chance to play until tomorrow night now. I'm excited to get back and play again because if they can sort the ffb out I think this could be a winner.

Good to hear that the FFB is not just a Logitech thing. This way a more general FFB patch can be applied.

Just got an sms from gamemania that I can pickup my Deluxe ps4 version :) . now work work work :( meetings until 1730. Race to the shop to get game Installation of 2 hours. So perhaps 2100 tonight I can have a go :)

I agree with you that handcrafted stages have more charm and feel more involved in general but I must say that Your Stage was a good idea even if I didn't really like it when starting at launch. Same feeling as you had. However, meanwhile I am able to see its potential. The pacenotes with this system were spot on.R=119404]@Brend[/USER] 👍

I really disagree with the pace notes. The system could evidently not handle pace notes when two tiles stitched together meaning extremely late notes every time.

Wales in D4 was absolutely horrible when it came to repetition. The same in and outs of the forest area and the moors made it feel like the same stage every time.

I really disagree with the pace notes. The system could evidently not handle pace notes when two tiles stitched together meaning extremely late notes every time.

Hmm I didn't have this issue but that is probably because I have the pace notes being called out late instead of early.

Haven't ran Wales yet but I take note 👍

Last edited:
How come the FFB is so bad, when we saw their testdriver in several videos working hard while driving?
What wheel did he use?
FFB isn't all about wheel weight. There is plenty of that, too much to be honest but there is very little fine detail within the FFB. So currently you don't get any road feel.

FFB isn't all about wheel weight. There is plenty of that, too much to be honest but there is very little fine detail within the FFB. So currently you don't get any road feel.
Spot on.

T300 is currently all wheel weight (to the degree that I have rolled almost every FFB setting back to around 60%) and no detail.

@doblocruiser

The D4 stage generator also has 9 or 10 different times of day to choose and also a dozen different weather options and combinations thereof. Running through the Wales forest with the sunset flickering through the trees is different than dense fog at civil dawn and much better than the dull mid-afternoon on an overcast day. Not to mention the rain options which can be applied to any time of day.

@doblocruiser

The D4 stage generator also has 9 or 10 different times of day to choose and also a dozen different weather options and combinations thereof. Running through the Wales forest with the sunset flickering through the trees is different than dense fog at civil dawn and much better than the dull mid-afternoon on an overcast day. Not to mention the rain options which can be applied to any time of day.

Yup! Know how it works and fiddle around with it to find some optimal settings 👍

Handmade stage content is great -- if it isn't just one stage per rally with an alternate fork, forwards and backwards, presented in a way that lazily attempts to deceive the player into thinking it is multiple stages. I cannot understand how that is not immensely more repetitive than tiles appearing in a randomized order, as familiar and common as they are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem with Your Stage is essentially...that Codemasters was behind it. And they didn't continue developing it. I like the idea of V-Rally 4's stage generator too, but I'm wary of what I've seen and read in terms of its handling model, and the absence of Subaru doesn't help. I'm hoping WRC8 will be more sim-like and that a Subaru or two will make it in among the unrevealed historic cars.

Handmade stage content is great -- if it isn't just one stage per rally with an alternate fork, forwards and backwards, presented in a way that lazily attempts to deceive the player into thinking it is multiple stages. I cannot understand how that is not immensely more repetitive than tiles appearing in a randomized order, as familiar and common as they are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The problem with Your Stage is essentially...that Codemasters was behind it. And they didn't continue developing it. I like the idea of V-Rally 4's stage generator too, but I'm wary of what I've seen and read in terms of its handling model, and the absence of Subaru doesn't help. I'm hoping WRC8 will be more sim-like and that a Subaru or two will make it in among the unrevealed historic cars.
Deceive the player. :lol: Jeeesus. What is it with hyperbole in this thread? Im glad you find jigsaw puzzle tracks enjoyable - it isnt for me as I’ve explicitly said. I know some people prefer random tracks because its an unknown quantity - fair enough.

I also did say Codemasters were the issue too. So no disagreement here.

Also, I hope we’re not implying DiRT 4 was in any way simlike here...

Latest Posts

Back