DiRT Rally 2.0 Review: The New Rally Sim Standard

Nice review, nice car racing game, but what about rally? The original point in that sport is not learning the track.
After 1-2 hours of playing, this criteria is over.
My opinion is that the Your Stage concept should be developed further. But it is likely to be the better business.

I reckon your stage will be back in Dirt 5 is they do it again.

Personally I prefer these handbuilt stages. I reckon Seb Ogier could probably do the Monaco power stage with his eyes closed.

MXH
The entirety of Career Mode, a'la GT Sport? It has to be a bad joke, surely.
I emailed them and this is the reply I got.

"Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning Dirt Rally 2.0.

Apologies for any misunderstanding. The Freeplay mode in the game does not require an internet connection. You can play through championships in both rally and rally cross in this mode.

The My Team mode DOES require an online connection as you have to sign into Racenet to progress in this mode. This mode contains both rally and rallycross modes. This is the mode referred to by IGN etc."

Hope this helps

Kind regards
Rob
Codemasters Customer Services

My Team mode= Career mode= Not getting game anymore.

I emailed them and this is the reply I got.

"Thank you for submitting your recent request to Codemasters Customer Services concerning Dirt Rally 2.0.

Apologies for any misunderstanding. The Freeplay mode in the game does not require an internet connection. You can play through championships in both rally and rally cross in this mode.

The My Team mode DOES require an online connection as you have to sign into Racenet to progress in this mode. This mode contains both rally and rallycross modes. This is the mode referred to by IGN etc."

Hope this helps

Kind regards
Rob
Codemasters Customer Services

My Team mode= Career mode= Not getting game anymore.
Thanks!

I would’ve been seriously pissed not knowing about this before buying the game since career mode is where it’s at for me.

Never going to rely on CM’s servers nor my ISP.

Hard pass.

Yup, that's a reason to wait for a sale or price reduction even if everything else was totally peachy. :boggled:

A singleplayer game with potential disconnects and an expiration date is not worth full price.

Clarification on reasons.
Screenshot_20190221-191807.png

Yup, that's a reason to wait for a sale or price reduction even if everything else was totally peachy. :boggled:

I legitimately cannot think of any reason for a racing sim to require a connection for anything not explicitly multiplayer.

To require it to move engineers around, something that you could do offline in DiRT 4, is hilariously stupid.

I legitimately cannot think of any reason for a racing sim to require a connection for anything not explicitly multiplayer.

To require it to move engineers around, something that you could do offline in DiRT 4, is hilariously stupid.

Appears to be because the daily challenges are inside my team instead of separate like they were in Dirt 4. An odd decision for sure.

I think where the misunderstanding has been is that it is not solely an offline mode. There are enough online modes inside 'my team' for it to need the connection.

Last edited:
I think where the misunderstanding has been is that it is not solely an offline mode. There are enough online modes inside 'my team' for it to need the connection.
Career mode is a solo experience and should not in any way require an internet connection. CM signed on with Microsoft for an esport junk thing to make money. THAT is the only reason this is happening.

Man, I hope all the people who are swearing off the game for My Team's online requirement didn't buy GT Sport...

💡

Again, GT Sport's online connection can be justified in the fact that it was designed as a multiplayer game from the jump. We can debate until the cows come home about whether that focus on multiplayer was correct or not.

However, this is about DiRT Rally 2.0. A game that is not built solely around multiplayer. To require an internet connection to move some engineers around, is asinine.

Wasn't GT Sport advertised as online? Not very correct from Codemasters to keep this under the wraps until d-day :(

This too. Polyphony made it quite clear from the jump, that if not fully online, that the vast majority of content within GT Sport would be focused on leading people towards Sport Mode.

Codemasters, meanwhile, has decided to drop this little **** nugget of info until a few days before release. If that isn't problematic, then what is?

@SlipZtrEm -- I haven't bought GT Sport. If not for the online focus and dependency, I'd have scooped it up just to admire some of the cars that aren't in PCARS2, if nothing else.

If a game requires an online connection, it better be multiplayer-oriented or on sale. If it's a multiplayer game, it typically must also be accompanied by enough solo gameplay I think I could enjoy.

Man, I hope all the people who are swearing off the game for My Team's online requirement didn't buy GT Sport...

💡
The main reason why I’ll never bother with GT Sport either.

But PD had at least the courage to tell people beforehand.

Once again, if this was EA doing this, the vast majority of people would be slamming them, rightfully, for dropping such a thing not even 5 days before release.

Once again, if this was EA doing this, the vast majority of people would be slamming them, rightfully, for dropping such a thing not even 5 days before release.
I own every CMR and DiRT game, hell, I even bought DR Legend Edition twice (PS4 & XB1S) but this #### won’t go by unnoticed.

This game has a short expiry date unless they decide to patch it out. Won’t be holding my breath for that though.

Seems very strange that an online connection is required for the single player, wasn't needed for DR1 so shouldn't be needed for DR2.

There is the argument of GT Sport being online but as previously said that game is built as an online racer where you actively race against other players, on a point to point rally game it seems odd.

I have waited so long for this game and I will still pick it up one day but not at full price, I expected more content (or at least some of the remastered stages) in the game at launch, the always online doesn't bother me too much as I have pretty good internet but hiding the fact career mode requires a connection is pretty dodgy ground as some people without internet access would've pre ordered the game and then find out they can't play the flagship mode.

Again, GT Sport's online connection can be justified in the fact that it was designed as a multiplayer game from the jump. We can debate until the cows come home about whether that focus on multiplayer was correct or not.

That's some revisionist history. Remember when Yamauchi-san himself said only 15% of the game was online?

Wasn't GT Sport advertised as online? Not very correct from Codemasters to keep this under the wraps until d-day :(

No. In fact, Sony had its nose slapped for advertising the game in a way that didn't accurately showcase just how much of it was locked away without an internet connection.

This too. Polyphony made it quite clear from the jump, that if not fully online, that the vast majority of content within GT Sport would be focused on leading people towards Sport Mode.

This is entirely debatable.

MXH
The main reason why I’ll never bother with GT Sport either.

But PD had at least the courage to tell people beforehand.

Er, one month before versus one week. And that's after the afore-mentioned "15%" comment, which certainly didn't give the impression the game was essentially just Arcade Mode if the servers were down.

The weird thing is, I'm not a fan of the online requirement either. It's annoying — I said as much in the review. But it's one mode. It's admittedly the one that gets the most depth, with the team management aspect, but it's not locking out the vast majority of the game.

. It's admittedly the one that gets the most depth, with the team management aspect, but it's not locking out the vast majority of the game.

Maybe not, but it certainly doesn't bode well for anyone's opinion of the game that it requires an internet connection for what essentially amounts to managing engineers.

The fact that it is placed upon the one mode in the game which will get the most amount of play with consumers, and dropped five days before release, should be a massive red flag, among the many others that have been present in the lead up to this game's release.

When I got all the RX cars unlocked, I'm only going to use this freeplay thing which is probably the same as offline racing against AI and practice races.

Maybe not, but it certainly doesn't bode well for anyone's opinion of the game that it requires an internet connection for what essentially amounts to managing engineers.

I can assure you, as I've been saying, as others have said, it's more than managing engineers. My team mode is where a large portion of the online components are. Hence the connection. Is it ideal, no, but start looking at the facts and the reality.

I can assure you, as I've been saying, as others have said, it's more than managing engineers. My team mode is where a large portion of the online components are. Hence the connection. Is it ideal, no, but start looking at the facts and the reality.
It’s a choice made by CM. It never was a necessity to do so.

Back