DiRT Rally 2.0 Review: The New Rally Sim Standard

Deceive the player. :lol: Jeeesus. What is it with hyperbole in this thread?
C'mon, don't make it like that. I dunno about Dirt Rally or DR2.0, but Dirt 3 gave distinct names to each "stage", tallying them up as if they were distinct, and only revealed the map view of the stage in one mode (IIRC). That seemed to me like an attempt to deceive.

I'll take back what I said if DR or DR2.0 are more forthright about it. I'm not trying to pretend I know more about DR or DR2.0 than I do -- members here have been kind enough to steer me clear by pointing out that practice I described above, so I only know what I've read or watched. After Dirt 3, I decided I would not play another Dirt game with the same kind of stages. Dirt 4 earned my purchase because of Your Stage.

Im glad you find jigsaw puzzle tracks enjoyable - it isnt for me as I’ve explicitly said. I know some people prefer random tracks because its an unknown quantity - fair enough.

I also did say Codemasters were the issue too. So no disagreement here.
Did I fail to make it clear with the ASCII shrug that my post was intended as a friendly disagreement?

Also, I hope we’re not implying DiRT 4 was in any way simlike here...
No way. I don't think the EGO engine can be made into what I consider a simulator to be.

I'm just crossing my fingers that WRC8 will at least rise above the usual vague pivot-steer hovercraft stuff you almost always get in rally games (including Dirt 4). I don't care if it isn't really a sim, just something more tangible, please...

Last edited:
I know that the game came out recently and this question would be garbage... but for thoose who bought this 2.0 and also played 1.0, could tell me if there is a big change between both games? I mean in terms of physics, graphics, amount of tracks and cars, etc... I have dirt 1.0, and play with g29 wheel.

I know that the game came out recently and this question would be garbage... but for thoose who bought this 2.0 and also played 1.0, could tell me if there is a big change between both games? I mean in terms of physics, graphics, amount of tracks and cars, etc... I have dirt 1.0, and play with g29 wheel.

My initial assessment is a gradual improvement across the board. I thought I would prefer DR1's graphics but, whilst I still don't think they're perfect and need dialling back of effects a little, they are a step forward.

Car wise, you gain modern R2 (FWD), R5 (4WD, similar to WRCs) and RGTs (modern RWD, lots of power) but lose the 2000s and Group B RWD (both being reworked and coming later) 2010s (mainly replaced by R5s). A few additions to other classes like the Ascona, Citroen DS, Mitsubishi Evo 6, Datsun 240Z.

Physics are a good step forward IMO; the lack of 'weight' killed DR1 for me and this completely fixes that. The rest doesn't feel too dissimilar initially, but weather differences seem more pronounced.

Amount of stages is initially the same, but all 150kms are brand new stages to learn. They're a bit faster on average than DR1 ones. However, they are remastering DR1 ones to bring in later.

I've not plugged in my G29 yet, so I can't say how that will relate.

Do you only speak in hyperbole?

Hmm...
Heads-up: On Steam multiple people report loss of progress or save due to mismatching saves between racenet and local saves.

Wow. I cant play the career mode right now because the game fails connecting to racenet. What were they thinking?!

My latest event has not registered because racenet went down while I was in the middle of it. This mandatory racenet connection is nuts.

Plus, you know, the vast majority of the topics on /r/dirtgame being about how stupid it is that a single player game requires a internet connection.

But yes, this is all hyperbole. Definitely no problems with it, yep.

Look, I don't want there to be any problems between us. But this always online stuff is stupid, and guess what? it's right now backfiring in Codies' face. Hard.

C'mon, don't make it like that. I dunno about Dirt Rally or DR2.0, but Dirt 3 gave distinct names to each "stage", tallying them up as if they were distinct, and only revealed the map view of the stage in one mode (IIRC). That seemed to me like an attempt to deceive.

I'll take back what I said if DR or DR2.0 are more forthright about it. I'm not trying to pretend I know more about DR or DR2.0 than I do -- members here have been kind enough to steer me clear by pointing out that practice I described above, so I only know what I've read or watched. After Dirt 3, I decided I would not play another Dirt game with the same kind of stages. Dirt 4 earned my purchase because of Your Stage.

Did I fail to make it clear with the ASCII shrug that my post was intended as a friendly disagreement?

No way. I don't think the EGO engine can be made into what I consider a simulator to be.

I'm just crossing my fingers that WRC8 will at least rise above the usual vague pivot-steer hovercraft stuff you almost always get in rally games (including Dirt 4). I don't care if it isn't really a sim, just something more tangible, please...
I think Codemasters intends to use the word “stage” like in real rally now: i.e: a “stage” in the literal event. It could be argued that phrasing allows them to get away with something sure but it’s also more authentic in a way. :lol: (annoyingly so)

Yeah how dare the online stuff require an online connection.

Hate Codemasters. Why can't they invent a way of playing online with no internet?

Hmm...

Plus, you know, the vast majority of the topics on /r/dirtgame being about how stupid it is that a single player game requires a internet connection.

Look, I don't want there to be any problems between us. But this always online stuff is stupid, and guess what? it's right now backfiring in Codies' face. Hard.

Hate Codemasters. Why can't they invent a way of playing online with no internet?

Clearly there's an issue with where they have put the online bits. I'm sure they will sort something out.

When online saves have managed to wipe out people's progress within the game? When people can't play the Career Mode, AKA the main mode in the game, because the Racenet servers can't call home? When there's the very real possibility that in the future, people won't be able to play the Career Mode because the Racenet servers, or the servers for the game will be disabled?

I don't know about you, but this is bad. And this is only in the Early Access portion of the game. What's going to happen when the gates fully open on Tuesday?

When online saves have managed to wipe out people's progress within the game? When people can't play the Career Mode, AKA the main mode in the game, because the Racenet servers can't call home? When there's the very real possibility that in the future, people won't be able to play the Career Mode because the Racenet servers, or the servers for the game will be disabled?

I don't know about you, but this is bad. And this is only in the Early Access portion of the game. What's going to happen when the gates fully open on Tuesday?

Well, people have got their progress back so that's a thing.

Obviously it's an oversight as everyone has pointed out. There's a reason why racenet is there (because online mode) clearly no one cares for the online mode so I'm sure something will get done as everyone and their dog is complaining about it. (Including me before you go down that road) .

Hmm...

Literally responding with (sarcastic) hyperbole doesn't really help your argument.

Here, emphasis added:

Maybe not, but it certainly doesn't bode well for anyone's opinion of the game that it requires an internet connection for what essentially amounts to managing engineers.

The fact that it is placed upon the one mode in the game which will get the most amount of play with consumers, and dropped five days before release, should be a massive red flag, among the many others that have been present in the lead up to this game's release.

There's the RaceNet connectivity issue — which I'll remind you, again, I even said was annoying in the review — and the DLC policy. I suppose there's also the VR issue, though it was only ever "not at launch" and Codies has already confirmed it will be coming after all at some point. Nevermind that the whole "VR or no buy" group is a very tiny, very vocal minority.

Wiping progress in the career mode because a connection drops is dumb. There should be a warning right away — it'd still be frustrating, but at least it wouldn't result in a waste of time. I'm lucky enough to have not had it happen during the review period of DR2, but I did have 25% of my Driving School progress Thanos'd when I reviewed GTS. I remember how bothered I was then.

Ninja-Edit: Oh, and the wheel. This is strange, because I've been using the CSL and while I wouldn't rate the FFB on AC levels, it all feels quite consistent to me...

GT sport suffered alot of hate from fans for going down the online route,CM's are now seeing how that feels.Time trials and multiplayer are the only modes that should require a connection,it worked well in DR.Is PS plus needed for career mode? cause if it is #no buy.

Ninja-Edit: Oh, and the wheel. This is strange, because I've been using the CSL and while I wouldn't rate the FFB on AC levels, it all feels quite consistent to me...

Same here with me and the t300. I would rate it better than GTS but not quite as good as Pcars2 and definitely serviceable, even if improvements could be made.

What is really weird is that while Scaff found the ffb to be too ponderous and had to dial it back on the PS4, I had the opposite experience on pc and had to dial mine up. Not sure if the defaults were different for specific systems or what.

Upgrade the firmware of base&wheel, Package 2019_TTRS_1.
Interesting, must be 2 years since I updated my firmware.

I bet I am not the only one who never does this, our laptop is so slow and old it’s a real chore!

Will try it tonight, thanks.

this game is useless without proper road feel to my 600$ Fanatec wheel... I am completly furious at anyone who reviewed this game and didn't mention there is no feel of bumps in the road...wtf is wrong with codemasters and how do I get my 59$ back till they fix it? this game feel like crap on a wheel,,,any wheel... try different setting if you want,,,but it aint right

this game is useless without proper road feel to my 600$ Fanatec wheel... I am completly furious at anyone who reviewed this game and didn't mention there is no feel of bumps in the road...wtf is wrong with codemasters and how do I get my 59$ back till they fix it? this game feel like crap on a wheel,,,any wheel... try different setting if you want,,,but it aint right
Screenshot_20190304-212301.png

Give these a go and see if it feels better.

I have tried others and will try yours...

But look there is no tire slip setting - that is wrong... you need to feel tire slip... makes no sense that is missing.
Sorry not mine, it's what Jon Armstrong uses on his wheel. I'm only running a G29 but felt better on that too.

Back