DiRT Rally Coming to PlayStation VR

Looks like we are defiantly in for a February release, Paul Coleman just said this today on the reddit Q&A...

- We're focusing on getting the game out with regards to DiRT 4 so no VR news on that front yet. PS VR for DiRT Rally will be coming very soon though - most likely in the next couple of weeks.

I am curious about something.. As the rumor goes, they are no longer allowed to have the Fanatec wheel support on PS4 if they update the game (same rumor for pCARS). Will Dirt Rally VR on ps4 have Fanatec wheel support? I don't own one, I am just interested in all the legal BS that goes along with this addition.

Only problem is for me I'm using the shifter as a handbrake where you have to plug it in to one of the PS4s USB hubs. The other one is used by the wheel & a 3rd is needed by the PSVR. Obviously the one at the rear of the console is used by the camera so I'd imagine I'm/we're screwed regards having a handbrake on my shifter for Dirt VR.

Does a PSPro have any extra USBs?

I am using 2 separate USB hubs. I have a 3 USB hub attached to my wheel stand for the shifter and keyboard, this then feeds into another 4 USB hub the other side of the room which connects directly to the PS4. I have had no problem using the shifter linked in this way. I have also managed to charge my phone attached to the spare USB socket on the hub attached to the wheel.

I sold my PSVR before xmas as I couldn't get over the motion sickness and Driveclub was the worst of the games. I also found the whole way your viewing tracked didn't really reflect how things move in real life as well as the graphics being a fairly poor version of the normal game.

Hopefully for all of you that can stomach VR this'll turn out better than Driveclub. The potential is awesome though. Maybe I'll try a return to VR if they can fix the sickness for a lot of people.

I sold my PSVR before xmas as I couldn't get over the motion sickness and Driveclub was the worst of the games. I also found the whole way your viewing tracked didn't really reflect how things move in real life as well as the graphics being a fairly poor version of the normal game.

Hopefully for all of you that can stomach VR this'll turn out better than Driveclub. The potential is awesome though. Maybe I'll try a return to VR if they can fix the sickness for a lot of people.

It's funny different games seem to affect people differently. I'm actually OK with Driveclub. Know what you mean about the graphics hit but the trade off isn't bad & since it originally ran at 30fps you can see how they would have been neccesary.

Dirt Rally already running stable at 60fps means this should be a great measure of how good VR racing on PS4 can ever be. Shame you had to trade it in though.

I finally purchased and painfully downloaded DCVR, and must say I'm rather impressed with it.
Obviously I went in fully understanding what to find, so maybe I had prepared myself better.

The immersion is a pleasure, and worth the trade off's. But here is the thing I think people are finding, if you're not comfortable, you cannot lose yourself in the immersion, Nd you cannot get the that point you miss out on the natural things you start to do, like looking into the apex etc.

It would be nicer if the resolution was a bit higher, and it had improved distance, but now we are talking PC level. For me it's good enough to enjoy.

European PS Blog announce Dirt PS VR Bundle at 17th February.
6zQeWxO.png

I wonder if it will get Pro support, too. I read that the VR mode will benefit from the additional power, but what about the regular game?
Please be true!
I didn't plan on buying a pro until HDR tv's inevitably get cheaper, but a VR/Pro patch would get me to jump now!

I cannot wait for this. Driveclub VR is an incredibly immersive experience but I just don't like the actual driving. Dirt Rally VR though... That will be something else. I'm hoping graphics and clarity take less of a hit than Driveclub but I'll enjoy it regardless. More than happy to pay a little extra for it.

For sim racing are the Move Controllers used/needed, or are they a good to have for things like menu navigation?

For sim racing are the Move Controllers used/needed, or are they a good to have for things like menu navigation?
With Driveclub VR they are not even used, you navigate with the dual shock, and in my case I just use the steering wheel buttons.
Should be the same with this.
It becomes quite natural to do after a little while.

Should be fun, I hope. Haven't used my PSVR since November.

I hope it doesn't suffer as massive a visual downgrade as DriveClub VR - that was simply too much for me to accept. But since Dirt Rally was already a 60 fps games on consoles it will hopefully fare a little better in the move to VR.
Of course since I never actually used my PSVR for long enough to get past the point where a lot of games give me mild nausea within 1 to 20 minutes, I might not fare so well at all with Dirt Rally either, regardless of how technically accomplished it might turn out to be.

I would really like if game developers or Sony made it more clear which games get a benefit from the PS4 Pro. Especially information about whether the VR part of the game looks better.

I have a PS4 Pro (for my 4K TV) and I would love to buy a PSVR, but only if I'm convinced that enough VR games are actually using the extra power I paid for - since the VR version will always take a dive in visual fidelity, compared to non-VR gameplay.

Does anyone actually know if DiRT Rally in VR looks better on the Pro?

I would really like if game developers or Sony made it more clear which games get a benefit from the PS4 Pro. Especially information about whether the VR part of the game looks better.

I have a PS4 Pro (for my 4K TV) and I would love to buy a PSVR, but only if I'm convinced that enough VR games are actually using the extra power I paid for - since the VR version will always take a dive in visual fidelity, compared to non-VR gameplay.

Does anyone actually know if DiRT Rally in VR looks better on the Pro?

Codemasters has confirmed that Dirt Rally for Playstation VR will take advantage of the additional power in the Playstation 4 Pro. I have a Pro and can tell you that Eve Valkyrie, for example, looks as good on the Playstation VR with my PS4 Pro as it did on my gaming PC with the Oculus Rift. I will report back on how Dirt Rally VR looks when running on my PS4 Pro tomorrow night after I download and play it.

just did a quick run in a Mini. Very detailed interior, track looks good, live public. Need to practice and (re)configure the T300. Still looking for the TH8A shifter to work. Probably I have to read better.
First impression is a thumbs up

menus still in 2D the race itself in VR!!

Last edited:
Well, I believe there must be some kind of mistake on the store (happens more often than you'd think), Because although I can find the DiRT Rally VR bundle on the store (game + VR DLC), I can not find the stand alone VR upgrade anywhere.

When searching through the browser version though I do find it, however it tells me I do not own the game, when I clearly do.

Here's the link for the EU/UK Store if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• PSERROR.jpg
    PSERROR.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 16
I understand that at this moment (Fridaymorning CET) the retailversion of DIRT Rally has some issues with the DLC for VR. The digital version + DLC which is visible in the (Dutch) PSN Storeworks fine. May be/hopefully solved very soon for you!

just did a quick run in a Mini. Very detailed interior, track looks good, live public. Need to practice and (re)configure the T300. Still looking for the TH8A shifter to work. Probably I have to read better.
First impression is a thumbs up

menus still in 2D the race itself in VR!!
I tried it a bit before work. In VR mode the game has a hard time recognizing the T300 and there appears to be no or little FFB. Need to get that fixed after work. The graphics look better than DC VR: the image is clear, but just as with DC VR, there is a lot of aliasing (playing on the Pro).

Agree Denur. I also have to figure out the best wheel settings (again). Couple of weeks ago thanks to @torque99 and Rik I finally managed it to have a reasonable allingment between the wheel and the T300. Now it steers like a boat again. Probably the settings again. I think also that I have to manually turn back from 1080 to 720 on the T300 wheel?

This racing game/sim is much more intense and definitely more difficult vs DriveClub VR so very easy to hit the trees, rocks. This has impact also on my brains :) Feel a little bit dizzy after 15 minutes.

EDIT: aaah recalibrated the wheel and in my enthusiasm forgot this tip which is usefull:

So if any of you guys with a T300RS are struggling to get a good feel for the tracks and roads try to set Thrustmaster wheel settings (standard) then go to Calibrate device but only rotate so it says 50% then the 90deg turn make 200deg only! I was putting 1080 deg all the time after all sites say do this..

EDIT2: 50% is still too floaty, turned it back to below 40% but then in hairpins cannot make the turn. Yes have to tweak and learn a lot. Hints/tips are more then welcome

Last edited:
for the T300, try calibrating in 1080 degrees mode (make sure you go to the 100%, as it locks a little at around 96/97%). Then once done, go and change steering saturation from 100% down to say 30-40% depending on what wheel rotation you like. I play with 40%. I'm not going into FFB but the self aligning torque can be about 60% for a good feel. Other FFB settings are personal choice. These T300 settings are what my brother uses. I have a T500 which means everything has to be lighter again.

Oh and I'm waiting for this VR 'add on' purchase issue to be resolved too - can't wait to try it.

@mcleeve Appreciate your kind Welsh help! Thanks. After the break I will play around with the FBB settings.
Did some rally cross races and this reminds me of my younger years racing around the dirt. Real fun with this VR mode in DIRT Rally.

This DIRT Rally in VR is real fun!! That moment you even feel embarrassed when hitting a wall and/or tree and the public is cheering up the hill. haha. Also the interior and e.g. racesuit, shoes are realistic modeled. And don't forget to blame the navigator when you missed a corner again...

Last edited:
for the T300, try calibrating in 1080 degrees mode (make sure you go to the 100%, as it locks a little at around 96/97%). Then once done, go and change steering saturation from 100% down to say 30-40% depending on what wheel rotation you like. I play with 40%. I'm not going into FFB but the self aligning torque can be about 60% for a good feel. Other FFB settings are personal choice. These T300 settings are what my brother uses. I have a T500 which means everything has to be lighter again.

Oh and I'm waiting for this VR 'add on' purchase issue to be resolved too - can't wait to try it.
Thanks! Calibrating the wheel did the trick for me (I re-bought the game because the VR update was not available yet). I did one Pikes Peak section in the rain and damn! It's definitely better looking than DriveClub VR. :cheers:

Back