DiRT Rally Coming to PlayStation VR

@BrainsBush don't forget to manually adjust your t300 wheel rotation to suit on all games. Press left on d pad and mode button. I use 540 three red flashes. Gives a nice tight feeling on the wheel especially helps on this and pcars default car settings makes a big difference :) I will pick up this VR tonight and try to give it a go 👍

I love Driveclub VR and spend a lot of time on it and I'm now almost immune to the motion sickness.

I purchased the DiRT VR DLC the moment my eyes opened this morning with all the excitement of a child on Christmas Day. I didn't know what to expect. Would it be as good as Driveclub VR? Have I just wasted £9.99 on a poor quality VR attempt? Will I ever use it again? These were the questions going through my mind as I got myself ready for work.

I turned on the PS4, selected DiRT and waited for it to load with baited breath. I found the menu to enable VR and nothing changed. I was still looking at a large TV screen. Navigating the menus I selected a race at Lydden Hill.
Suddenly I was no longer sat in my living room, I was transported to the car in an instant. A quick look around the car and all of my questions had been answered.

This is going to be good!

I then looked to my left and the car next to me was very close and very big. I pressed the handbrake and the countdown started, then I was off. The view was a lot clearer than Driveclub and you can focus a lot further as well. DiRT in VR and 3D is better than I could have imagined. This is so immersive and seems so realistic. I drifted around the bends with the grace of a 3 legged cat on ice, but that didn't matter I was having fun.

So did I waste my money? Yes and no. The money I spent on Driveclub VR may have been wasted, as I can't see myself doing anything other than DiRT for the foreseeable future. And I haven't even tried it with my T300 yet.

Writing this whilst sitting at work, all I can think about is going home at 5pm and putting it on again.

Last edited:
And I haven't even tried it with my T300 yet.

This is so absolutely great!! In my opinion this is a must buy for every PSVR owner and who wants to race in the DIRT.
If you have the dollars, euros or even GB Pounds ( ;)) it is worth every cent, cent, penny.
And if possible use/buy the shifter TH8A, only accessoire I miss now is a decent handbrake in stead of a button on the wheel.

I started career from scratch and driving the first 10 stages are so intense and fun that I became almost emotional. Not cynical just the real fact. My daughters who were sitting downstairs even heard me cheer and laugh. Over enthusiast may be but why not. This is fun!!!

And if possible use/buy the shifter TH8A, only accessoire I miss now is a decent handbrake in stead of a button on the wheel.

I have the TH8A in sequential mode and this is set up as my handbrake.

I am looking to get a second one to have as a gear shift again, as you can have 2 in DiRT.

My 2cents...

Better than Driveclub VR? yes! but gfx wise not a lot better. The limitation is very much in the PSVR headset. It's "ok" immersive yes but once the initial wow factor settle down you'll start to notice the the poor resolution, short drawing distance, poor clearity, poor sharpness, no antialiasing - features and standards you're used to from whatever TV/monitor display you use. That to me will kill the VR experience in the long run. Mentioned limitations are the ones that potentially making you motion sick and when it's worst I can't help but comparing it to playing a PS2 game..just in 3d.

Oh..and in DiRT VR..don't look behind you! you're only driving "half a car". lol.

I might sound negative..but this is more towards the PSVR headset itself (I admit I'm very dissapointed in PSVR) not so much DiRT VR. it's cool and fun for while but I prefer crisp, clear, gfx with all the bells and whistles we're used to from a nice TV/monitor rig over PSVR. I've used 30min today with DiRT VR - wow factor was gone after 5mins.

Just tried the damn thing and it is good.

As always VR make a difference in immersion , especially if you play with wheel and rig and those tracks get a whole new dimension in VR. I'm not nitpicky on visuals so for me it looks ok.Slightly better / different than Driveclub VR (which I'm ok too) , but do not expect miracles with this gen hardware.

For me a well spend money and for sure i will have a lot of fun until something new comes around .

And yeah , I've noticed cockpit kind of ends behind driver seat:confused:

I think it is one of the things that also PC players complaint about in vr mode.Probably just a resource optimization thing.Anyway not a big deal since it is rally and who needs to look back when there is so much hapening in front:)

Last edited:
I've played it a bit and it's brilliant. I'd say it's significantly better than Driveclub VR in terms of graphics and clarity, though understandably some way from the base game. In terms of gameplay, it doesn't get any better than this at the moment. The game suddenly becomes a lot more natural to play and while it's still a challenge, I now realized that much of the difficulty of playing the base game comes from a lack of visual information. The immersion and accurate sense of speed has improved my cornering by a ridiculous margin. It's so much more enjoyable to drive, and the base game was already fantastic. It's the essential experience for anyone who loves rally games.

Pretty much what you guys think ^^^ @Nattefrost

Although I must admit I haven't been on VR for quite a few weeks properly and I had a quick go on the DS4, First impressions usual Menus, no wheel/seat adjustment I can see or any view apart from cockpit forward looking (no rear but I don't really use this or look behind in DC, remember you can always stand up out the roof if you are feeling brave :sly:) but the feeling you get actually being in this Dirt rally world in the rally car looking out before the stage is so cool..Tracks on PS4 Pro look slightly better than DC but awesome to me and well detailed. Interior detail and scenery not blurred at all slight blur in distance but better in the rally stages then say Rally X. The cockpits are very realistic and the first look out the window and the dust is shining on it (great) I took the Old school Subaru out for a fast run in Finland and those jumps, dips and crests feel massive and wide and very high! I lost my stomach and dinner a couple of times mid air but great feeling until I hit a tree and forgot I was in VR!..then played monte carlo in the mini and the roads seem much wider in VR and It made round comfortably and no crashes and think I will be much faster on this as it is very realistic inside the car. Then a quick 4 lap blast in the Clio in RallyX, this was the most fun as I never got on with this part in the game but being in the car makes it much easier. Overall very pleased and well worth my £9. Then I had a quick blast in DOOM after (2D on big screen) first person still in VR and then watched a few 360 videos and now paying the price not being on it a few weeks I feel a bit Heady :ill::lol: Hopefully get back used to it again..Can't wait to try the wheel this weekend and more tracks.:cheers:

Last edited:

Pretty much what you guys think ^^^ @Nattefrost

Although I must admit I haven't been on VR for quite a few weeks properly and I had a quick go on the DS4, First impressions usual Menus, no wheel/seat adjustment I can see or any view apart from cockpit forward looking (no rear but I don't really use this or look behind in DC, remember you can always stand up out the roof if you are feeling brave :sly:) but the feeling you get actually being in this Dirt rally world in the rally car looking out before the stage is so cool..Tracks on PS4 Pro look slightly better than DC but awesome to me and well detailed. Interior detail and scenery not blurred at all slight blur in distance but better in the rally stages then say Rally X. The cockpits are very realistic and the first look out the window and the dust is shining on it (great) I took the Old school Subaru out for a fast run in Finland and those jumps and cambers feel massive and wide and very high! I lost my stomach and dinner a couple of times mid air but great feeling until I hit a tree and forgot I was in VR!..then played monte carlo in the mini and the roads seem much wider in VR and It made round comfortably and no crashes and think I will be much faster on this as it is very realistic inside the car. Then a quick 4 lap blast in the Clio in RallyX, this was the most fun as I never got on with this part in the game but being in the car makes it much easier. Overall very pleased and well worth my £9. Then I had a quick blast in DOOM after (2D on big screen) first person still in VR and then watched a few 360 videos and now paying the price not being on it a few weeks I feel a bit Heady :ill::lol: Hopefully get back used to it again..Can't wait to try the wheel this weekend and more tracks.:cheers:

Options to adjust your seating are available under the controls menu. There's seat up/down and forward/backward, I mapped my T300RS d-pad on them, by default they're unmapped. It's possible to choose allow different cameras in VR under - I'm not 100% certain but I think - the HUD menu. It's there somehwere, though I feel the cockpit view is by far the best view for VR. On a flat screen I don't like it as it takes too much of your view but that's obviously not an issue in VR.

I've encountered some choppy framerates in certain parts of Monte Carlo, anyone else experienced that? I'm on the Pro so that's disappointing. Framerate's flawless otherwise. After playing for a couple of hours now I can safely say I've become much, much faster. Rallycross is a blast as well. Looking at how well this VR update is done, it really is a shame it doesn't look like PCars is getting the same treatment. I would gladly pay a little extra for a PSVR version of that game, even for a highly compromised version (visually speaking). I can't see myself going back to a normal screen now.

Dirt Rally VR is available in the US PSN Store now. The standard game is also discounted, and the VR DLC add-on is there as well @$12.99.

Strange - but the standard + VR DLC is about a dollar less then Dirt Rally VR bundls, not sure if there's a difference. I went for Dirt Rally VR bundle.

And I just bought the PSVR again...
Back in the October 2016 launch I purchased and returned one unopened. The Dirt Rally VR reviews here were enough for me to chance it again. This time I'll open the box and report back in a few days.

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
@BrainsBush don't forget to manually adjust your t300 wheel rotation to suit on all games. Press left on d pad and mode button. I use 540 three red flashes. Gives a nice tight feeling on the wheel especially helps on this and pcars default car settings makes a big difference :) I will pick up this VR tonight and try to give it a go 👍

Does 540 degrees work for you in hairpins? I feel a lot of clipping and often cannot make the full turn. I try to mix it with handbrake. Now will try 720 and lower the stear saturation to below 40. Still have to find the right setup for the T300 with the in car rim (and also with the driver visible).

Dirt Rally VR is available in the US PSN Store now. The standard game is also discounted, and the VR DLC add-on is there as well @$12.99.

Strange - but the standard + VR DLC is about a dollar less then Dirt Rally VR bundls, not sure if there's a difference. I went for Dirt Rally VR bundle.

And I just bought the PSVR again...
Back in the October 2016 launch I purchased and returned one unopened. The Dirt Rally VR reviews here were enough for me to chance it again. This time I'll open the box and report back in a few days.

:gtpflag:

I bought it last night from the US PSN Store and it was on sale for PS+ members for $37.99, which is down from the regular price of $69.99. The price is available until February 21.

Does 540 degrees work for you in hairpins? I feel a lot of clipping and often cannot make the full turn. I try to mix it with handbrake. Now will try 720 and lower the stear saturation to below 40. Still have to find the right setup for the T300 with the in car rim (and also with the driver visible).
I use 900 degree mode on the T300 itself and then put steering sturation on 50%, which works great for me. Hairpins are not an issue with these settings. Handbrake is only required on tarmac for me but that's just due to grip levels.

I had it 540 deg mainly for the tracks in PCars so I will also try 900deg on this and 50% rotation later tonight-can't wait to try it again 👍

can anyone suggest a good setting for the g29? ffb feels very weak around the center even with everything pushed up to 150%. also my movement doesn't match the ingame wheel (the input does though)

can anyone suggest a good setting for the g29? ffb feels very weak around the center even with everything pushed up to 150%. also my movement doesn't match the ingame wheel (the input does though)

That is the same problem I had and then @BrainsBush had on the t300rs, would the same calibration help as just 50%? 200 deg. If not I am sure someone will have the G29 on here soon.

just used the same settings. Really that first time you drive through Wales and "hit" that water splash or in Finland the ' big jump' is amazing and intense. So much fun!!

OMG I just did these tracks and in the 2010 WRC Fiesta 300BHP flying over a long Finland track bouncing up and down the dips, crests and very high jumps, I tried a different track to yesterday and the jumps got even higher! Wales and Sweden in the snow and spray is good as is Pikes Peak in the rain in the Peugeot! It was quite intense and realistic, getting better each time I put it on now the wheel is sorted. I do admit I never ever made it to the end of the tracks and came off a cliff but it was fun rolling down the hills :lol:

p.s I am still easily getting round the track/hairpins on 540deg. So somewhere we must have different settings. One or two cars go quite wide I think the Sierra cosworth was one of them etc so some cars you may have to tweak but overall it is worth it for the centre wheel to feel ffb. 👍

@Nattefrost Edit: I have now added in the seat adjustment on the wheel (wheel settings) as the d-pad- move back- forward- up -and down - and you have the choice to lose the wheel as well but I think I prefer the wheel to show but the seat right forward in line with my wheel so you don't see it on the move, perfect driving position now.👍

Last edited:
I watched Team VVV review of this, an extremely annoying video to watch. The second video wasn't much better, spent the whole time moaning about sensitivity and saying the physics were dumbed down to be arcadey. Thoughts on this?

I did wonder about this too @lancia delta hf, first off I found it a little odd that they felt the need make a big thing about the steering setup. You would have thought being the SIM racers they are, and knowing this game does have settings for the wheel! they would have accepted this.

Then with the second video, and only able to go by there judgement and that of others, I wanted to pose the same question here too.

Physics, dumbed down or not noticeable?

OK, I've got a std PS4 and the VR. I purchased Dirt Rally and downloaded the VR upgrade. I got the game to work with my Fanatech wheel no problem. However, I cannot get the game into VR mode? The VR works fine but just as a big screen TV. What am I missing? How do I get it into VR?

OK, I've got a std PS4 and the VR. I purchased Dirt Rally and downloaded the VR upgrade. I got the game to work with my Fanatech wheel no problem. However, I cannot get the game into VR mode? The VR works fine but just as a big screen TV. What am I missing? How do I get it into VR?
While in the menu screen you have to enable the VR mode.
There should be a button second from the left in the bottom row ( I just don't remember was it in the options or the main menu)

While in the menu screen you have to enable the VR mode.
There should be a button second from the left in the bottom row ( I just don't remember was it in the options or the main menu)
Thanks. That worked. Some loss in definition of the video but still fun and playable. Don't seem to be bothered by motion sickness but I do steam up my glasses!

The interesting thing is that in cinema mode it is a bit sharper so I think it runs sub native resolution.

Steamed up lenses are a problem to me too :D. The only strange thing that I noticed (in terms of motion) is that Monaco stage (while close to the "wall") seemed a bit choppy.

Latest Posts

Back