DiRT Rally Coming to PlayStation VR

If it works out fine... great news. I can only imagine what an intense experience this game must be in VR. I think after the GT Sport “tour mode“ disapointment, this is a new sign of hope for PSVR.

I also read elsewhere that the VR update will cost 10 bucks. Since you have to invest at least 399 to own PSVR, this seems like a really fair deal for me, but there will be some people freaking out for sure ;)

Has anyone ever played a VR racing sim with a wheel and shifter? I've been playing Dirt with a TH8 shifter and finding it fun.. if a bit frantic. With a VR headset on am I going to still be able to find the phisical shifter or will sensory mismatch lead to flailing arms and missed shifts?

Has anyone ever played a VR racing sim with a wheel and shifter? I've been playing Dirt with a TH8 shifter and finding it fun.. if a bit frantic. With a VR headset on am I going to still be able to find the phisical shifter or will sensory mismatch lead to flailing arms and missed shifts?

Your muscle memory will fix it after some time.

Dirt Rally VR Oculus: Free if you had the standard game

Dirt Rally VR PSVR: Paid if you had the standard Game (independent expansion)

Something is not right here.

Yes but I don't mind paying the £9.99 ($12.99 in US) for this PSVR DLC, if it was the only way they could have released it.

By the way, £9.99 was mentioned on one of their official Twitter responses. They said they'd been holding back on the a big announcement, and I really did think it was going to be about Dirt Rally 2, but now to find out it's actually PSVR I'm well happy. I'm one of the lucky owners to have a PS4 Pro and they have said it'll be optimised for the Pro too.

Oh and I also read on one of the official responses, that they may be working on additional DLC content....well they said 'the team is busy working under the hood but stay tuned!'. Hope so as nothing has been really added to the game since release. More cars and tracks please.

My only concern, is the trailer shown looked pretty good, so was this the Pro or Standard PS4 (if PS4 at all!)?
Also would like to know what is optimised for Pro over the standard model.

Regardless, I'll be snapping this straight up, as already got the main game less than half price. The purchase for a Pro is even more on the cards now... sadly, still no time soon.

That answers that one then...

Screenshot_2017-01-13-14-07-05.png

Shame this announcement came now, after all the great holiday sales. I already own on pc, Was going to get on ps4 as well. If only I knew, would have been a def buy. Now to hunt down a cheap disk. I need this with psvr.

Also looking forward to Dirt Rally in PSVR mode. Will also check if the compatibility with the T300 is working ok now?!
OT: If I have to read other topics about the T300 and Dirt Rally (again) I will do so, but I have put this sim aside for a while because of this issue. But now with this PSVR announcement I want to race asap!

Also looking forward to Dirt Rally in PSVR mode. Will also check if the compatibility with the T300 is working ok now?!
OT: If I have to read other topics about the T300 and Dirt Rally (again) I will do so, but I have put this sim aside for a while because of this issue. But now with this PSVR announcement I want to race asap!
What is/was the issue with the T300? I played Dirt Rally recently for a bit and had no problems.

It was patched in two weeks following the patch that broke compatibility with T300RS.

PSVR support is good news, but I hope they also patch standard game to take an andvantage of PS4 Pro

Thx! Probably it is the user and not the soft/hardware ;) I already put all FBB on 150% but still very little contact between car and track. This was a couple of weeks ago. May be I have to practice better? I will recheck the settings soon.

Your muscle memory will fix it after some time.

Only problem is for me I'm using the shifter as a handbrake where you have to plug it in to one of the PS4s USB hubs. The other one is used by the wheel & a 3rd is needed by the PSVR. Obviously the one at the rear of the console is used by the camera so I'd imagine I'm/we're screwed regards having a handbrake on my shifter for Dirt VR.

Does a PSPro have any extra USBs?

My only concern, is the trailer shown looked pretty good, so was this the Pro or Standard PS4 (if PS4 at all!)?
Also would like to know what is optimised for Pro over the standard model.

Regardless, I'll be snapping this straight up, as already got the main game less than half price. The purchase for a Pro is even more on the cards now... sadly, still no time soon.

That was my main concern. Only just got around to trying Driveclub VR & was quite taken aback by how blurry the graphics downgrade was. It's still fun though. Hopefully this will be better as they've had more time to develop it & it already ran at 60fps.

Shame this announcement came now, after all the great holiday sales. I already own on pc, Was going to get on ps4 as well. If only I knew, would have been a def buy. Now to hunt down a cheap disk. I need this with psvr.

It's currently on sale in PSN store pal, it costs buttons.

Thx! Probably it is the user and not the soft/hardware ;) I already put all FBB on 150% but still very little contact between car and track. This was a couple of weeks ago. May be I have to practice better? I will recheck the settings soon.

I think the force feed back is really weak on Dirt Rally compared to other Sims. Maybe it would be too much if it was stronger because of the nature of the racing I sometimes wonder. Dunno.

@Bush_Killa-73 Do I have to be extra alert coming period? greetz Brains Bush ;) I like Scotland and the Scotch :cheers:

OT: Besides the extra USB port on the rear it is also confirmed that the PSVR version of DIRT Rally will have extra PS Pro compatibility. Better, crisp, clearer graphics.

@Bush_Killa-73 yes, the pro has one extra USB port over the standard & slim. two on the front one on the rear.

have you considered a USB hub? I find myself in the same boat with this, I'l end up getting one soon no doubt.

@Bush_Killa-73 Do I have to be extra alert coming period? greetz Brains Bush ;) I like Scotland and the Scotch :cheers:

OT: Besides the extra USB port on the rear it is also confirmed that the PSVR version of DIRT Rally will have extra PS Pro compatibility. Better, crisp, clearer graphics.

Never thought about a hub & assumed the USBs would have needed to be attached to the console itself to work right? Could be wrong.

Will likely end up picking up a PS Pro. Just wish there was one that came with a 2TB hard drive like the one I've got in my PS4. 1TB still isn't enough IMHO.

Greets BrainsBush from here in Scotland! Where are you about? :)

Seriously troops, does anyone actually know how I'll still be able to use my TH8A shifter as a handbrake on PS4 with PSVR as it uses the only other spare USB on the standard PS4?

I'm not really ready to buy a PS Pro yet & see that as a costly solution at this point.

It looks like most hubs only let you charge things giving part functionality when not USB 3.0 am I right?

It looks like most hubs only let you charge things giving part functionality when not USB 3.0 am I right?

That's not how i understand it, the key difference with USB 2.0 & 3.0 is data transfer speed. Some devices like external hard drives require more power to operate, and this is the type of device which may run into problems going through a standard hub. So to solve this they offer powered Hub's.

For us, the only device which isn't powered is the shifter (and a keyboard if you use one) the wheel and the PSVR both have there own power supply. So i would not expect issue due to power supply from the port.

Therefore the next thing to consider is data transfer. Now, I don't know how much available port speed the wheel and PSVR require, so I would recommend these be kept on separate ports(*). The shifter and a keyboard will be low speed device's, and only require a small piece of bandwidth from the port.

Image your sink at home having four taps on it, as long as the water coming from the taps does not exceed the escaping water by the drain/plug hole there should not be a problem (sorry if I'm telling you things you already know).

Now as USB 3.0 has a maximum rate of 5 gigabits or 625MB's per second, thats a pretty big plug hole! ;)
USB 2.0 standard offers a theoretical maximum of 480 megabits or 60MB's per second, so even this is plenty.

My only concern is recognition of the device, by the PS4.

I've had problems with Assetto Corsa not seeing the shifter (or at least not responding to it) if I don't have it all plugged in before i turn the PS4 on :boggled:

In my case the wheel, shifter and keyboard will all be based on USB 2.0, So my plan is to have a USB 3.0 hub (probably powered) and then "in theory" the bottleneck will be at the device, and not the PS4 UBS port. This will also serve for other uses. 👍

(*) I'm assuming that the 2 Ports on the front of the PS4 are in fact, separate ports and not a shared connection into the PS4... i.e a Hub!

Anyway, that's just my take on it, hope it helps.

Laters :cheers:

That's not how i understand it, the key difference with USB 2.0 & 3.0 is data transfer speed. Some devices like external hard drives require more power to operate, and this is the type of device which may run into problems going through a standard hub. So to solve this they offer powered Hub's.

For us, the only device which isn't powered is the shifter (and a keyboard if you use one) the wheel and the PSVR both have there own power supply. So i would not expect issue due to power supply from the port.

Therefore the next thing to consider is data transfer. Now, I don't know how much available port speed the wheel and PSVR require, so I would recommend these be kept on separate ports(*). The shifter and a keyboard will be low speed device's, and only require a small piece of bandwidth from the port.

Image your sink at home having four taps on it, as long as the water coming from the taps does not exceed the escaping water by the drain/plug hole there should not be a problem (sorry if I'm telling you things you already know).

Now as USB 3.0 has a maximum rate of 5 gigabits or 625MB's per second, thats a pretty big plug hole! ;)
USB 2.0 standard offers a theoretical maximum of 480 megabits or 60MB's per second, so even this is plenty.

My only concern is recognition of the device, by the PS4.

I've had problems with Assetto Corsa not seeing the shifter (or at least not responding to it) if I don't have it all plugged in before i turn the PS4 on :boggled:

In my case the wheel, shifter and keyboard will all be based on USB 2.0, So my plan is to have a USB 3.0 hub (probably powered) and then "in theory" the bottleneck will be at the device, and not the PS4 UBS port. This will also serve for other uses. 👍

(*) I'm assuming that the 2 Ports on the front of the PS4 are in fact, separate ports and not a shared connection into the PS4... i.e a Hub!

Anyway, that's just my take on it, hope it helps.

Laters :cheers:

Yes thanks & that helps a lot!

See Dirt Rally 4s just been announced by the way guys?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/26/dirt-4-coming-to-ps4-this-june-4-things-you-need-to-know/

Dirt Rally VR Oculus: Free if you had the standard game

Dirt Rally VR PSVR: Paid if you had the standard Game (independent expansion)

Something is not right here.

Dirt Rally HTC Vive: no Dirt game available

This is what not right for the most expensive ($799) VR here.

Back