DiRT Rally Thread

I want to get this game but the physics just look very basic and boring. Is it even much of an improvement over say, Dirt 3? That was the last Dirt game I bought.

I want to get this game but the physics just look very basic and boring. Is it even much of an improvement over say, Dirt 3? That was the last Dirt game I bought.
Having played them back to back recently, I can say that the differences are VAST.

DiRT Rally actually requires the use of the brake properly and heavily, has much narrower and longer stages with far nastier bumps and cambers, makes you work HARD to pull off a real scandinavian flick or powerslide, punishes unwise use of the handbrake with spinning into trees, and generally does it's best to kill you as often as possible. When the codriver says "don't cut".... well just try cutting and see ;)

DiRT 3 is an utter breeze in comparison. You barely have to brake, the stages are all so wide and benign, cars slide elegantly without effort, etc...

The Rallycross in DiRT Rally is the same: The first time you run a Rallycross track you can't believe just how early you need to brake, then you realize how stupidly fast those monsters are and adjust your head. DiRT 3's rallycross was mostly a dab of the brake and a quick slide and you were round even the tightest corners: Good fun but not remotely realistic.

The T500RS works very nicely with DiRT Rally, and you won't regret trying it.

Not sure what videos you have been watching but it should be obvious how much better the physics are compared to Dirt 3. It's completely different and is more of a rally sim than any other modern game today.

- Direct Input slider axis enumeration has been fixed which is a fancy way of saying this should solve issues with pedal
bindings, most frequently the clutch

Does this mean that the "falling out of gear" issue is fixed?

- Direct Input slider axis enumeration has been fixed which is a fancy way of saying this should solve issues with pedal
bindings, most frequently the clutch

Does this mean that the "falling out of gear" issue is fixed?
I'm having more issues with the fact that if I move the shifter on my G27 before depressing the clutch, the transmission will get stuck in the gear you're trying to shift out of.

Only way to fix it on-spot it is to restart the stage/race or take a penalty to reset your car. :banghead:

Its night and day. Dirt 3 is very arcade-y. Hardly seems to vary no matter what car you're driving. In DR you really have to pay attention to driving and setting the car up correctly beforehand, the Shakedowns are essential.

Having said that its not perfect driving the Monaco tracks the tarmac is very grippy even if it hits patches of ice whereas a real car will step out of line or the steering will become very light (first sign you're about to lose control on ice).

Having said that is probably still most realistic driving simulation I've had, on tarmac at least (can't vouch for off-road as I've never driven off road)

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/09/dirt-rally-road-book-030915/

From their latest blog post, it seems community manager Lee Williams has just resigned. He was the one who pitched the idea of Early Access and regularly communicated the players' feedback to the team. I hope this isn't a sign of anything ominous. I'd hate for Dirt Rally to come this far and all the hard work come undone...
After reading the article i'm pretty sure they are confident with the current direction they are taking :)

I really like Lee and am sad to see him go, but ultimately, it was his own choice. Wish him all the best. I just hope someone just as awesome as he will be able to fill his position.

I wouldn't worry about the game's direction though, at least on the PC.

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/09/dirt-rally-road-book-030915/

From their latest blog post, it seems community manager Lee Williams has just resigned. He was the one who pitched the idea of Early Access and regularly communicated the players' feedback to the team. I hope this isn't a sign of anything ominous. I'd hate for Dirt Rally to come this far and all the hard work come undone...

It seems like it's pretty much a develop-by-numbers situation for this game, and I think it's early access in the purest and most restricted sense of the term - we get early access...... that's it. Codemasters just keep on pumping out content without doing anything remotely daring, and without any indication that they are addressing glaring flaws.

The juggernaut will roll on without Lee. The game will be completed...... but will bare true inspiration?....... I have my doubts.

I just had Steam try download and keep queuing a update... of 0.0kbs for DiRT Rally :odd:

Some news about the next finland-update:

-there will be a big jump like the yellow house jump at Ouninpohja ( color of the house could be different ;) )
-there will be 2 new cars in the pack
-Impreza sound will be fixed

I hope Codemasters can accurately reproduce the atmosphere and environment of a real Finnish forest road as no rally game has got them quite right yet. I've always thought Milestone's version in WRC 3 is one of the best - sure the roads are too wide, there aren't enough elevation changes and all the trees are birch trees for some reason, but it just feels like the forests I've been seeing all my life. Too bad they went three steps forward, six steps back in WRC 4 by fixing all of those issues yet making the environments way too open and almost completely unrecognisable as Finnish forests.

Trees are serious business.

Last edited:
I spent the morning playing Dirt Rally (which I've had since day one). While initially excited...I was then disappointed with a number of features. I didn't touch the game for a few months. It's better but still missing in some huge areas.

Good:
+Force feedback is pretty decent now
+Sounds seem better, more sliders
+More control options and more adjustability for controls
+Still effortless for any vaguely decent computer to run it max'ed out on every setting

Bad:
-Still no tire selection, a hugely paramount part of rally racing. Selecting type and knowing when to replace them, etc.

-Beyond infuriating that the game won't save a control scheme, particularly when using mixed components

-Hugely frustrating in menus when they don't allow a mouse/keyboard --- I use three USB installed devices so it does me no good to see "push button 19 to...". Let me click on things with a goddamn mouse please.

-Not nearly enough stages. 6 stages w/ reverse layouts is barely enough for me. I also dislike that they're stressing each rally to be a different kind of surface.

-Unable to use rally cars between rally types - why the hell can't I drive a damn Group A car on Pike's Peak? Seems like an incredibly stupid and arbitrary decision. Even if it means a 20 minute drive to top, the hillclimb cars are aggravating as hell to drive.

-Personally dislike the autocross nonsense. That part of the game is sitting wasted on me, so I'd have much preferred another rally setting. But, money is money and some people need a shotgun-attention-span fix?

-Repair times are incredibly silly in the career/linked stages. 30 minutes to address 12% radiator damage? You can take a radiator in/out in about 7 minutes with some tools.

-No wiper/headlamp control...ridiculous.

-While the stages may be representative of certain rallies I feel the designers really cheaped out and cut corners on the stages. A load of repeated assets, little attention paid to making the stages feel alive or look proper. I can deal with this for the most part because I'm normally too busy driving, but a beautiful atmospheric game it is not.

-Terrible, and I mean terrible liveries. Something I find inexcusable in the days of crowd-funding and crowd-supported games. Do what PCars did and invite talented folks to create legitimate good looking "fake" liveries. The cars are nothing short of dreadful. Thankfully you only see this in the replays.

-Needs a few more slower cars. There isn't quite as much progression as I'd like to see. It's nice they recently added FWD cars from the modern era, but I want to see some entry level FIAT Puntos etc. Some little DS2s etc.

-Let players get into 20+ stage rallies right off the bat. You have a career mode, allow it. One of the biggest joys from the old Mobile 1 BRC days was just finishing a damn rally. When you finished 18-21 stages it didn't matter if you were in 8th place. You were stoked just to have finished it. This of course would be difficult with the limited stages in the game. But many rallies re-run stages. Just run them at different times of day.

I want the game to be great, but they just made so many silly decisions that I never finish playing and feel satisfied. I play the game, have a good time...and when I'm putting my wheel-stand against the wall I just think "Man, it could have been a great game...". As it stands now, it's just good.

PS: As it stands now, I can't suggest anyone buy it at higher prices. $20 or less, a good buy. I bought in on day one for what, $25? I'd stay away at the $35-40 where it's sitting now. Put it on your wishlist and pick it up on sale. I really hope they support this with more rallies than what they have planned...

I hope Codemasters can accurately reproduce the atmosphere and environment of a real Finnish forest road as no rally game has got them quite right yet. I've always thought Milestone's version in WRC 3 is one of the best - sure the roads are too wide, there aren't enough elevation changes and all the trees are birch trees for some reason, but it just feels like the forests I've been seeing all my life. Too bad they went three steps forward, six steps back in WRC 4 by fixing all of those issues yet making the environments way too open and almost completely unrecognisable as Finnish forests.

Trees are serious business.

If anyone can do it surely it's Codemasters :) All of the rallies in Dirt:Rally look stunning so i'm sure Finland will be no different, same goes for Sweden when that arrives.

-Not nearly enough stages. 6 stages w/ reverse layouts is barely enough for me. I also dislike that they're stressing each rally to be a different kind of surface.

-While the stages may be representative of certain rallies I feel the designers really cheaped out and cut corners on the stages. A load of repeated assets, little attention paid to making the stages feel alive or look proper. I can deal with this for the most part because I'm normally too busy driving, but a beautiful atmospheric game it is not.

-Needs a few more slower cars. There isn't quite as much progression as I'd like to see. It's nice they recently added FWD cars from the modern era, but I want to see some entry level FIAT Puntos etc. Some little DS2s etc.

-Let players get into 20+ stage rallies right off the bat. You have a career mode, allow it. One of the biggest joys from the old Mobile 1 BRC days was just finishing a damn rally. When you finished 18-21 stages it didn't matter if you were in 8th place. You were stoked just to have finished it. This of course would be difficult with the limited stages in the game. But many rallies re-run stages. Just run them at different times of day.

I want the game to be great, but they just made so many silly decisions that I never finish playing and feel satisfied. I play the game, have a good time...and when I'm putting my wheel-stand against the wall I just think "Man, it could have been a great game...". As it stands now, it's just good.

PS: As it stands now, I can't suggest anyone buy it at higher prices. $20 or less, a good buy. I bought in on day one for what, $25? I'd stay away at the $35-40 where it's sitting now. Put it on your wishlist and pick it up on sale. I really hope they support this with more rallies than what they have planned...

I understand your point about the stages. My biggest issue is crowd placement. they are constantly on the outside of corner. It just breaks immersion, the original stages i now pretty much know the tracks and you want speed to approach a corner depending on the car and whether. i think your right they need add more stages to each country.

Just in case there are those interested here in this forum, Paul Coleman, chief game designer of DiRT Rally has confirmed, via Twitter, that the cars featured in the Finland update are from the year 2001 WRC.

vwMin.gif

Just in case there are those interested here in this forum, Paul Coleman, chief game designer of DiRT Rally has confirmed, via Twitter, that the cars featured in the Finland update are from the year 2001 WRC.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!
FYq7M_gif_2520.gif

Good:
+Force feedback is pretty decent now

I think it's horrific, and I'm very afraid that CM will leave it as is.

There are a few things that would greatly enhance the experience (I'd love to have proper triple support for one), but the ffb totally kills it for me.

It's monumentally better than what it was.

Damning with faint praise?

It's miles away from what is considered decent, let alone good, ffb these days. Assetto, PCars, R3E, rFactor 2, etc. are in a completely different league - a league that DiRT Rally has no excuse not to strive for. Hell, games like Wreckfest, and even CM's own Dirt 3 have more logical and insightful ffb.

I do have something nagging away at me, wondering if wheel strength is pivotal though. I've got a couple of lower strength wheels that I could try out, but I'm not sure if it's worth the bother - I fear that feedback on the feedback will fall on deaf ears anyway.

Did he say how many?

Back