DiRT Rally Thread

- Physics wise it is far more realistic than I expected. I would say it is close to full on simulation. But at points it is still too easy to drive, but the challenges of corners makes up for it. Suspension seems very stiff regardless of settings so maybe they need to look into that but the feel on the roads and the body roll etc all looks very nice. Not sure about anything on aerodynamics though, never looked too much at that. But I will do at some point. FWD cars feel a little off though...

Past Codies games on the Ego engine have suffered from "floaty" suspension feeling. I had to use max stiffness spring rate on all my cars in Grid Autosport just so it doesn't feel like I'm driving a boat. Probably this is a way to compensate for that?

If the demand is sufficient? Surely they have been as, or even more responsible for the arcadification of console rally games than anyone else?

Not having a go at you Spitfire, it just struck me as being a bit, well...typical Codemasters.

I will say that it does look very inviting and I would hope that they do go as far as creating a console version too.

Time to get a gaming PC Jim :D

Past Codies games on the Ego engine have suffered from "floaty" suspension feeling. I had to use max stiffness spring rate on all my cars in Grid Autosport just so it doesn't feel like I'm driving a boat. Probably this is a way to compensate for that?

Time to get a gaming PC Jim :D

It could be that, yes! Good point there, I remember playing Grid Autosport at one point and finding the cars terrible!

On the console version front, I have no doubt it will happen, this is Codemasters, they aren't going to, or are even able to, release an early access "Beta" on the consoles. I'm sure the PC only start is purely to get it out there in the midst of demand for the next Dirt/a good rally game. Perhaps the announcements of WRC5 and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo just forced their hand early to ensure they keep the rally fanbase?

Either way, I'm betting on a console release and perhaps announcement for it at E3.

On the console version front, I have no doubt it will happen, this is Codemasters, they aren't going to, or are even able to, release an early access "Beta" on the consoles. I'm sure the PC only start is purely to get it out there in the midst of demand for the next Dirt/a good rally game. Perhaps the announcements of WRC5 and Sebastien Loeb Rally Evo just forced their hand early to ensure they keep the rally fanbase?

Either way, I'm betting on a console release and perhaps announcement for it at E3.

Yeah, for once we PC gamers are beta testing for console gamers... It's nice to be on the lead platform for once!

I played for just over an hour with my 360 pad tonight and my initial impression is it's good. It looks really, really nice (but not Drive Club or Project CARS nice, but not far behind the latter), it's difficult but not Richard Burns Rally difficult. While RBR will always be special to me and I do enjoy WRC 4, I think Dirt Rally is the best all-round package there is at the moment; graphics are nice, sound is nice, it drives well, good cars, nice long and challenging stages... I'd recommend it for sure.

Edit: It may not have multiplayer yet but it's an early access game, there's not much point criticising a missing feature when it's surely going to be included eventually. What is there right now is all of high quality but there are a few things to be worked out.

I'm on the fence in terms of the comparison between it and RBR so far. I think RBR was hard for the sake of being hard rather than actually being authentic and realistic. But that's a debate that will rage on forever.

I'm on the fence in terms of the comparison between it and RBR so far. I think RBR was hard for the sake of being hard rather than actually being authentic and realistic. But that's a debate that will rage on forever.
You raised a valid point with a common misconception that it being difficult means it realistic.
I've spent around 6 hrs on it now. The transition from rbr to this wasn't too bad. All the skills you learn on rbr apply well in this game. Those that haven't will have a steep learning curve.
As this at the moment doesn't have a rally school, so start with the the fwd cars. Learn how the car handles and changes when you alter inputs such as brakes and throttle. Then move on to rwds then the AWD.
Overall the games fun.

While RBR is indeed a tad bit too hard, DiRT Rally is currently also a bit too easy sometimes.
The cars have a bit too much traction on dry asphalt and the damage is too forgiving.
Overall it's a nice simulation though, best rally game on the market currently.
I'm curious how Sebastian Loeb Rally will compare, but I'm glad that we'll finally have games at least on a similar level to the old Evolution Studios WRC games.

Now, I just need more tracks. :D Can't wait for the German rally stages.

Well, ATM I'd find RBR a lot easier, but only because the FFB in the Dirt Rally as of now is quite appaling tbh.

Otherwise it looks and sounds very promising.

I've discovered that sadly, if you're a North American buyer, that the co-driver files are corrupted (who knows why), and the only thing you'll ever hear him say is the starting countdown, and if you've got a puncture, and what tire it is. Kinda unplayable for me at the moment... :c

JvM
Well, ATM I'd find RBR a lot easier, but only because the FFB in the Dirt Rally as of now is quite appaling tbh.

Otherwise it looks and sounds very promising.
I found the ffb not so much appalling, as nearly non-existent. Is that your experience, or are you getting strong but poor ffb? I'm on an ECCI 7000, so plenty of muscle there.

There's some ffb, but it's just not very helpful or enjoyable at all. I'm not surprised that ECCI doesn't have much support though. (yet)

As I heard that DiRT Rally was coming, I realised..... That my chicken was ready :mischievous:

I like the Project CARS-esque route that Codies is following. Seems as if once P.Cars hits the selves it should set the standard for how best to setup a racing game for your targeted community. I think its starting to reflect some how.

I'll wait till it comes to console. I mean it's likely to happen. One thing that's got me thinking is that could DiRT Rally run at a locked 60fps on a console like say a PS4 I wonder? Judging from the videos I've seen so far it looks like it could.

It will take a while to get that misconception out of peoples heads, after a decade of harder-than-realistic grip indoctrination. It was the same with GPL, but the truth came out eventually. It's still hard for some to believe that GT3 cars are easy to drive (they rather say game is arcade and be done with it), but it is progressing in the right direction.

I've never played RBR, but this is for sure the most difficult of the Codies games I have. It's fantastic so far, other than the corrupted voice files for the co-driver as mentioned by @BionicDerp Graphics are really good on my middle of the road laptop, although I've got to do some fine tuning as rain drops the FPS down to 30-ish. If I had 1 critique it's that there isn't a whole lot of fine tuning you can do with a controller. If I could set a slight dead-zone in the right stick that would be fantastic, but it's still a work in progress:)

I'm really excited to see where they go from here. It's a really good base so far!:bowdown:

I am only able to choose between 2 resolutions. Where as in other games I can select more including the native of my screen. Does anybody else have that too?

Graphics are really good on my middle of the road laptop, although I've got to do some fine tuning as rain drops the FPS down to 30-ish. If I had 1 critique it's that there isn't a whole lot of fine tuning you can do with a controller. If I could set a slight dead-zone in the right stick that would be fantastic, but it's still a work in progress:)

I'm really excited to see where they go from here. It's a really good base so far!:bowdown:

When you say 'Middle of The Road' , what kind of specs are we talking?

with one R9 290 you can get a reported 80+ FPS at 1080p on Ultra. I've found my CPU is doing very little so I'd suggest the speec's for the CPU are very low at the minute. Ram is 2gb at the max so far.

I'm getting around 70-90fps over 3 screens @ 5760x1080 with Eyefinity enabled thats with 2xR9 290s, i7 (as I said not hitting this) and a good wack of RAM again all of this is on Ultra.

Last edited:
They're going the Project CARS way? So they will take suggestions? Looks like I'm going to have some ideas (and it involves ripping some ideas from their rally game rivals 10 years ago, Evolution Studios with WRC: Rally Evolved.)

Like that.

At the very start, those buses aren't usually there, and right after there were a bunch of barrels rolling onto the road that you have to avoid (they don't always show up, only sometimes). Occasionally you have a car crashed at the end of those skidmarks into the first proper corner. It was great for making the stages feel as alive as possible. Especially because the co driver was very interactive. He would say things based on how you were driving, or when one of these events happen, he'll shout out something. And he would say various things before and after the stage. That stuff made the game so immersive, and it surprises me that no one has really done it ever since.

Good god, I'm making suggestions to make the game better before I even play it. :lol:

Last edited:
When you say 'Middle of The Road' , what kind of specs are we talking?

Lenovo Y510P: Core i7-4700MQ @ 2.40 GHZ / GeForce GT 755M/ 8GB DDR3

I say middle of the road because even though it can hold its own it's not the full on insane gaming laptops that you can get.

I say middle of the road because even though it can hold its own it's not the full on insane gaming laptops that you can get.

In my eyes, that sounds like High End , that's actually what I'm aiming for:D

They're going the Project CARS way? So they will take suggestions? Looks like I'm going to have some ideas (and it involves ripping some ideas from their rally game rivals 10 years ago, Evolution Studios with WRC: Rally Evolved.)

Like that.

At the very start, those buses aren't usually there, and right after there were a bunch of barrels rolling onto the road that you have to avoid (they don't always show up, only sometimes). Occasionally you have a car crashed at the end of those skidmarks into the first proper corner. It was great for making the stages feel as alive as possible. Especially because the co driver was very interactive. He would say things based on how you were driving, or when one of these events happen, he'll shout out something. And he would say various things before and after the stage. That stuff made the game so immersive, and it surprises me that no one has really done it ever since.

Good god, I'm making suggestions to make the game better before I even play it. :lol:

I loved that game soooo much. <3

I've got pretty much the same thing. Asus ROG G750J with the same processor and a 765M. 16 GB ram though. :lol: Everything is on medium or about besides anti-aliasing and the crowds. Average 55fps.
In my eyes, that sounds like High End , that's actually what I'm aiming for:D
Soon I'm building a PC with an i7 4790K and a GTX 970. THAT is a bit closer to high end, but not quite. :P

so heres a quick clip from last nights session

I've got better but the lack of ffb means my inputs are guesswork. Im liking the 60s cars and 70s cars but i haven't yet driven the more modern cars yet.

So I had a quick lunch time blast seems there was a new patch released today which seen my FPS drop majorly in a few stages <30 fps!

That said I've discovered this game is like how Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0 was for example it has 4 stage sets and between the 2nd and 3rd stage it has car repair etc.

I think this may be my new favorite rally game and may actually replace Colin Mcrae Rally 2.0 which has been my favorite with no rally games coming close imo.

Anyone else having the issue if they push pause or esc the game crashes to Windows? :(

Apparently if you swap in the DiRT 3 controller config file you get back much of the feedback currently missing, tips from Racedepartment.com.

"If you have Dirt 3, .. copy it's effectsetup.xml into Dirt Rally. Works much better than the default one. Plenty of effects at the center.
I did have to add this line, .. to the beginning of the file, as it felt like there was no proper centering.
<FFBEffectSelfAligningTorque device="wheel" scale="1.0"/>
.. you can increase to suit, .. I currently have it at 1.5."

Not the prettiest because I'm on a laptop, but still.

Attachments

• 2015-04-29_00001.jpg
    2015-04-29_00001.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 20
Back