Discouraging 900° Mode?

• Thread starter Sloth
  • 49 comments

Is the noise related to the forced 900° mode discouraging you from drifting?

• Yes, it's bothersome.

Votes: 26 26.5%
  • No, I can deal with it.

Votes: 72 73.5%

• Total voters
Drifting with 900 degree needs a lot of pratice, i can make a drift video with 900 degree if you guys want, but don't steal my technique (:P)

*hates how it posts before the poll is done being made*

I was disappointed to find there were no calibration options for the Driving Force Pro.

It seems kind of rediculous.

And now I hear that the MOMO Force is no longer supported, despite being so in GT3.

So.. what other options are there?

The old Driving Force wheel. I kind of like that it self calibrates instead of having to fine tune it in settings. 200 degrees seems to be enough wheel for me, but I'd like to take a crack at a 900 to see the difference in realism.

The great thing about the wheel, no matter which one is just the fact that you can drive the car on such a smooth line, not to mention throttle feathering instead of having to blip the throttle with the DS2.

Oh yeah, it's great for grip, but the second you screw up or try to drift and countersteer really quickly, it's like, "arrgh! noise.."

Since this isn't STRICTLY drift related, countersteer DOES happen in grip mode, I voted "Don't mind".. This wheel will work for as long as it intends.. And I've beaten it up pretty good - no signs of wear so far...

;)

Figure out how to get the top up ya bastid.

Flerbizky
Since this isn't STRICTLY drift related, countersteer DOES happen in grip mode, I voted "Don't mind".. This wheel will work for as long as it intends.. And I've beaten it up pretty good - no signs of wear so far...

;)

Yeah, I'm thoroughly enjoying the grip driving aspect.

If I crash, I don't frantically try to recover. I just take it as a loss.

It's just drifting, where I'm obligated to counter faster than the motor in the wheel.

It makes that noise that I'm sure would drive a dog insane.

Unfortunately, I don't have any animals to exploit, and I'm not about to irritate the hell out of myself.

Could someone confirm the fact that the Momo Force wheel does not work in GT4?

-Thanks

I am kind of new to the whole drifting thing, and I want to know what 900 degree means, I know the DFP has 900 degree rotation and is "900 degree" referring to the DFP?

meaning the wheel will rotate 900 degrees of rotation lock to lock, which is 2.5 times.

Meaning, from the center position, you will have to rotate the wheel 1 ¼ times to get the front tires turning all the way over.

When you drift, your tires are constantly changing angle and you are always having to give drastically large wheel input motions to account for this.

With this wheel in particular, those rapid motions generate alot of noise, so if you're thinking about getting into drifting, consider your options. However limited they may be.

Right now, I'm trying to find an ActLabs Force RS (is supported by GT4).

It's just that I'm not the only one that finds the wheel annoying.

It's kind of a tough situation for a poor old drifter.

Turn the volume up higher on the TV, I reckon you are thinking too much and not just playing. I have the wheel and have thrashed it, and to be honest, I dont know what you are gripeing about, I don't take any notice of the so called annoying noise from the wheel.....So stop trying to put people off from buying this wheel, it is absolutley awesome......At least now we are getting even closer to simulating a real car in a game.

did you try turning the strength of the force feedback down?

to do so hold R3, select and the left shifter paddle at the same time. it should set the wheel to 60% of how stiff it was.

i havent tried it yet, but my brother just did and it sounded like it was making A LOT less noise.

this might be the key to easy drifting with the 900* wheel?? as soon as he gets done im gonna hop on and give it a shot 👍

I love the wheel. Noise has never been an issue for me, I say just buy a new wheel if it's bothering you that much, or just use the DS2.

Shoes_98ls
did you try turning the strength of the force feedback down?

to do so hold R3, select and the left shifter paddle at the same time. it should set the wheel to 60% of how stiff it was.

i havent tried it yet, but my brother just did and it sounded like it was making A LOT less noise.

this might be the key to easy drifting with the 900* wheel?? as soon as he gets done im gonna hop on and give it a shot 👍

It does make quite a bit less noise, but I'm still considering other options.

Even something as drastic as taking a gear out or something, just to disconnect the motor from the wheel.

But, we'll see.

Drifting is getting a bit easier too, so, it's a start.

Learning the limits of the car and the setting is the hard part.

okay...off topic but how much does the GT4 steering wheel cost? it's like real driving then isn't it? isn't it like real cars, unlike other games you guys know...for example Initial D, it turns like only 460 degrees...by the way does the shift knob really works or is it there just for details?

well the question is about the noise.....not the 900 degrees itself. no?

anyway...noise. noise? i dont even hear the noise. all i hear is engine and tiresqueal. god bless good audio.

97whitESi
you wanna hear the noise? just spin the damn wheel, it whirrs sooo loud, its like an electric chainsaw, its very jarring

umm....i know that. i was using it as comparison to how loud i play the actual game.

and the sound isn't very jarring. not to me anyways. the only thing that really ever made me cringe was the first time i ever heard a supercharger in person. nails on the chalkboard or the dfp sound dont bother me one bit.

Slurp
It does make quite a bit less noise, but I'm still considering other options.

Even something as drastic as taking a gear out or something, just to disconnect the motor from the wheel.

But, we'll see.

Drifting is getting a bit easier too, so, it's a start.

Learning the limits of the car and the setting is the hard part.

just unplug the power coard and you wont have any force feedback either.

^ yeah, unplug the power from the wheel and it no longer makes noise or force feedback, it's good for people who spin the wheel really fast but can't b/c of the force feedback

I didn't think you could unplug the DFP wheel and it still works. only the older one. Idunno.

As far as removing the gears inside, i'd advise against it, as the DFP is self calibrating. you know, when you turn on the wheel and it goes all crazy then you jump on the couch yelling "The power of christ compels you!!! The power of christ compels you!!!" anyhow, I believe it needs to do that every time it turns on to be centered while you drive.

I am with Omnis. As long as you have good surround sound, it's not a big deal. even without, not really a big deal unless my wife is trying to sleep.

about the dfp..whats are the buttons to changes all the modes?? like 200* mode and less stiff. and can someone explain the 2 led lights and what they mean..

on topic* i like the wheel the noise doenst bother me..im still trying to figure out how to countersteer without it causing a major weight shift causing me to spin out ...making big improvement for just gettin the wheell last night but i havent figured it out....

!DRFT!
about the dfp..whats are the buttons to changes all the modes?? like 200* mode and less stiff. and can someone explain the 2 led lights and what they mean..

on topic* i like the wheel the noise doenst bother me..im still trying to figure out how to countersteer without it causing a major weight shift causing me to spin out ...making big improvement for just gettin the wheell last night but i havent figured it out....

180° mode = Select + R3 + Right Paddle

Force Reduction = Select + R3 + Left Paddle
-One blink = 60% Force
-Two blinks = 100% Force

I am also learning subtle weight transfer.

Most of my focus is on grip right now though.

Back