DLC release discussion (Some note in first post)

• Thread starter TCSdisable
  • 1,033 comments
He wasn't clear on the most important problem for me.

Will I be able to download the DLC from a European/UK account for my Region 2 UK GT5 disc which I play on my U.S account, which has the my main save data. If that is the case then I have no reason to complain anymore. But if the DLC does not work like the Chromeline/Stealth cars....I'm just too tired of this.

He wasn't clear on the most important problem for me.

Will I be able to download the DLC from a European/UK account for my Region 2 UK GT5 disc which I play on my U.S account, which has the my main save data. If that is the case then I have no reason to complain anymore. But if the DLC does not work like the Chromeline/Stealth cars....I'm just too tired of this.
It probably won't work, ever. DLC is region locked for most games.

Since Spec2.0 update, I've decided to consider GT5 a WIP game. It's being developed on the fly, with our help.

This is both good and bad. It's good because we're getting complaints genuinely listened to and fixes do come but it's bad because they experiment with DLC release methods and it soured the whole launch of the DLC for a lot of people. A lesson learned and will not happen again. I wish they'd ask for feedback instead of doing stuff like that.

It probably won't work, ever. DLC is region locked for most games.

Locked to the PSN account region, or the GT5 disc region?
The GT5 savegame file is locked to the PSN account or disc region?

Too many questions around my head... :nervous:

kaz_yamauchi 山内 一典
next, don’t get your hopes up too high, but pdi is also readying a x-mas present for those who’ve already bought multiple dlcs.

How about an X2011 with Rudolf painted on the nose in similar fashion to this airliner:

Splat

I think the DLC is locked to the PSN account region, and the savegame to the disc region. Could well be wrong, I don't have any "mixtures".

This is an example of how any current DLC for PS3 games work.

You have an account with any country (KUWAIT) for example

You have a U.S copy of (enter any game's name)

You have a secondary account with a U.S address for Playstation Store access which otherwise could not be accessed on the main (KUWAIT) account.

You purchase the DLC for that game on the U.S secondary account, it downloads and installs. You log out of that account and back to your main (KUWAIT) account and the DLC is included in your game.

I know that the issue not region locking the DLC, but this is a new issue that has to do with the download/install DLC button inside GT5. This is what worries me the most because if there is no way for people who have main accounts that do not correspond to their copy of the game and/or PS store access it's like they are forcing people to create accounts just to have access to this DLC and also to start over from scratch. The example I just made applies to thousands of GT5 players around the world who will be denied any access to the DLC unless they match up their Accounts with their GT5 discs. This has never ever happened before and I have been using the PS3 since it's release back in 2006 and have downloaded a lot of DLC material from the U.S store and even the Japanese store on my Japanese account.

Do you think that's fair? I don't. :nervous: We want to purchase the DLC, we want to support PD, but why don't they support us? I like that Kaz announced that there will be fixes and that the DLC will be available on all accounts, but will that help with crossing over from a UK account to a US account that has a UK game save?

Last edited:
I think the DLC is locked to the PSN account region, and the savegame to the disc region. Could well be wrong, I don't have any "mixtures".

That's really sad.
I have friends with BR accounts and US/UK game discs, 'cause there was no brazilian PS Store and BR GT5 discs ( and I guess it is still so for GT5 ).
Recently Sony lauched a brazilian PS Store, but for us there's no DLC for US/UK GT5 games.
Is that so?
I'm not happy at all.
👎

GrandGTM
Do you think that's fair? I don't. We want to purchase the DLC, we want to support PD, but why don't they support us? I like that Kaz announced that there will be fixes and that the DLC will be available on all accounts, but will that help with crossing over from a UK account to a US account that has a UK game save?

Not fair indeed.
I find this very annoying.
There's a whole world of "cross-region" players around the globe who like to play GT5 at their full extent.
All that because DLC in GT5 doesn't have the "Download" part.

Last edited:
I don't thonk the DLC is tied to the PSN region. I think you need to match BD region and PSN region only to buy the pack because the game coding might be somewhat different from region to region. That's why I think a UK save won't work with a US disk. What if one user don't have a PSN account or you are not logged in? You won't be able to save your game?
The DLC update might change something in the installed data wich is shared by every user no matter the PSN country.
Someone should ask it to Kaz though. Just to be sure...

Does anybody know if there is a reason why we cannot change the number on the Nissan GTR R35 TC from the DLC? It's not an issue but it seems odd that it is the only one.

Kaz said that the DLC is going to be usable for all ps3 accounts when u purchase it from one account in December, so I have a question (again):

1. My disc is region 2, will buy DLC from EU psn, will get the dlc

2. Then when I open my US account, which does not match the disk, but it's on the same ps3, will I have it ? I think yes, but it has to be confirmed

Because maybe Kaz meant all accounts on the ps3 must match the disc, that would be useless :D

This is an example of how any current DLC for PS3 games work.

You have an account with any country (KUWAIT) for example

You have a U.S copy of (enter any game's name)

You have a secondary account with a U.S address for Playstation Store access which otherwise could not be accessed on the main (KUWAIT) account.

You purchase the DLC for that game on the U.S secondary account, it downloads and installs. You log out of that account and back to your main (KUWAIT) account and the DLC is included in your game.

I know that the issue not region locking the DLC, but this is a new issue that has to do with the download/install DLC button inside GT5. This is what worries me the most because if there is no way for people who have main accounts that do not correspond to their copy of the game and/or PS store access it's like they are forcing people to create accounts just to have access to this DLC and also to start over from scratch. The example I just made applies to thousands of GT5 players around the world who will be denied any access to the DLC unless they match up their Accounts with their GT5 discs. This has never ever happened before and I have been using the PS3 since it's release back in 2006 and have downloaded a lot of DLC material from the U.S store and even the Japanese store on my Japanese account.

Do you think that's fair? I don't. :nervous: We want to purchase the DLC, we want to support PD, but why don't they support us? I like that Kaz announced that there will be fixes and that the DLC will be available on all accounts, but will that help with crossing over from a UK account to a US account that has a UK game save?

isn't this the very thing that's going to be fixed with the december update?

I'm not talking about different disk regions btw, so lets change the country to be completely clear: Chile (southamerican country) and a US account. Same region, but Chile does not have PSN support. In all other games I can use DLC in my chilean account, bought using the US account; whereas I can't in gt5.
Will that be fixed with the "family pack"?

edit: as a side issue, I just noted kaz twitted that tracks and cars should work with the "family pack", for accounts with psn availability. Hopefully this means paints and gear as well.

Last edited:
So, i did download the DLC with my german account and it works with my UK disc, so it is safe to say, that it will work with all EU versions

And as I said, maybe by region he means when ur buying it only, you have to buy from US store with a region 1 disc, I really hope we could know what he meant exactly

So, i did download the DLC with my german account and it works with my UK disc, so it is safe to say, that it will work with all EU versions

WHAT? can you be more precise and explain what you did step by step

EDIT: A german disk is the same region as a UK disc, so it's ok

Last edited:
So that means regarding the account, I can now buy aust disc, create another user acc and then the dlc would appear on my other acc in the same console but the one with us disc?

could someone pleas answer me this?
If I have an US copy of GT5, and one US psn account and one Dubai psn account, when that december updates get here, will I be able to use the DLC on my second Dubai based account? I'll have downloaded the DLC for the US, that matches my GT5 copy, but I don't know if my Dubai account would be able to use it because of region problems :nervous:

If I have an US copy of GT5, and one US psn account and one Dubai psn account, when that december updates get here, will I be able to use the DLC on my second Dubai based account? I'll have downloaded the DLC for the US, that matches my GT5 copy, but I don't know if my Dubai account would be able to use it because of region problems :nervous:

As I understand it, only PS3 users with same region as original purchaser's PSN ID will SEE the DLC when the December update hits. Kaz tweeted no way to support "cross region" for now, which is what we are getting at the moment.

In your case, US = region 1, Dubai = Region 2, so no, it won't work.

"What does the region mean in the ps3? (for a Blu-Ray Game Disc)"
Region Code

Basically, The world is split in to 6 Regions:
0 Informal terms meaning "worldwide".
1 Canada, United States; U.S. territories; Bermuda
2 Western and Central Europe; Western Asia; Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho; United Kingdom, Turkey, French overseas territories
3 Southeast Asia; South Korea; Taiwan; Hong Kong
4 Australia; New Zealand; Oceania; Central and South America; Caribbean; Mexico
5 Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa, Central and South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea.
6 China
(Source - Wikipedia)

Last edited:
As I understand it, only PS3 users with same region as original purchaser's PSN ID will SEE the DLC when the December update hits. Kaz tweeted no way to support "cross region" for now, which is what we are getting at the moment.

In your case, US = region 1, Dubai = Region 2, so no, it won't work.

"What does the region mean in the ps3? (for a Blu-Ray Game Disc)"
Region Code

Basically, The world is split in to 6 Regions:
0 Informal terms meaning "worldwide".
1 Canada, United States; U.S. territories; Bermuda
2 Western and Central Europe; Western Asia; Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho; United Kingdom, Turkey, French overseas territories
3 Southeast Asia; South Korea; Taiwan; Hong Kong
4 Australia; New Zealand; Oceania; Central and South America; Caribbean; Mexico
5 Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa, Central and South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea.
6 China
(Source - Wikipedia)

yeah, that's what I was thinking.... but maybe with the DLC downloaded from the US store I might be able to see/use it, I don't want to start all over again...:indiff:

I know this is a dumb question, but I haven't been following these DLC's. So the US has to wait until December to get the downloadable content?

I know this is a dumb question, but I haven't been following these DLC's. So the US has to wait until December to get the downloadable content?

no, it should be up next week, what's happening in december is an update in that make the dlc available to all psn accounts on the same system.👍

but not from different regions, I'm hating myself a little bit right now...:ouch:

Your US account will be alright, but Dudai no.

Why region X Account, region Y DLC and region Z Game disc are incompatible?

That's simple

Region A PSN have "DLC" (Unlock service) for Region A Game disc,
but they never put the "DLC" (Unlock service)for Region B-Z Game disc on Region A PSN.

In Technical, SCE could solve the issue of Strange mix issue, but base on Copyright issue. They may never put the region B-Z DLC (unlock service) on Region A PSN.

Not hard to understand, all the Copyright evils :mischievous:

What situation Region A account and Region B Game disc could work?

When Region B game disc image (data) in actual is Region A. :D

(In Hong Kong, a lot game are imported form other country. Strange mix case in other game is very common, so we have experience and own legal solution to solve it.)

Last edited:
From what I have heard from other users normally DLC which is downloaded with one PSN account can be used on any other regardless of region.

So fingers crossed that when we get the family pack update in December that it will work on all PSN accounts on the system.

LOL Yeah right! :sly:

Edit: Actually you might be on to something. Since the only person in DPRK with internet access is Kim Jong Il. I guess he'll have the whole Region 5 North Korea to himself. Look out for the North Korean flag when racing then. There's only going to be one! :lol:

The DLC is disc specific not account specific, therefore if you have two accounts, one main and one sub for the ps store you can purchase your compatible DLC from the store account and it will work on your main account. Again emphasizing that the DLC source and disc are from the same region.

The new case with this DLC is the fact that it doesn't download directly from the store but within the game itself, so to see if that will work like other game DLC will remain to be seen with their next update.

Okay hold up a minute.. Just read the news feed. Wearing them out? Are you kidding me!? There are people out there who are affraid of "wearing them out"? Umm.. it's a video game, and secondly cars are built in order to be driven, especially racing cars.

That is utter nonsense. Wearing them out.. come off it.

I can accept the solution for anyone who hasn't bought the content.

What I don't like is those of us which did, where the solution doesn't rectify the issue are still screwed.

I got a response back from Sony and basically stated no refunds and gave me their policy.

So end of the day I have an AU account, with a UK disc, dlc for my UK disc and account. So I get the joy of playing on an account on Level 1. Lots of fun.

A simple refund, show some good faith would fix the issue. Especially at a time when Forza 4 is looking good.

Okay hold up a minute.. Just read the news feed. Wearing them out? Are you kidding me!? There are people out there who are affraid of "wearing them out"? Umm.. it's a video game, and secondly cars are built in order to be driven, especially racing cars.

That is utter nonsense. Wearing them out.. come off it.
I agree. There just isn't a purpose for it that I can see. To each their own, but it's not something I can understand.

Back