DLC release discussion (Some note in first post)

• Thread starter TCSdisable
  • 1,033 comments
The better solution is...

All PSN product gone globally may solve a lot of problem...

Truth. The PS3 is a region free console. All downloads should work with all versions of a game. That's called common sense. Anything else is daft.

Which makes Sony daft as the people who now can't buy DLC because of this issue don't buy it and that costs Sony money in none-sales.:dunce:

avens
isn't this the very thing that's going to be fixed with the december update?

I'm not talking about different disk regions btw, so lets change the country to be completely clear: Chile (southamerican country) and a US account. Same region, but Chile does not have PSN support.

Let's hope that is the case and wish for the best.

Just give it time. No one knows exactly what is going on behind closed doors at PD. Just because these were released first, doesn't mean its the only thing they have.

We already know that the FT86 II is complete, the MiTo is in production as well as the HSV. I also doubt that Spa and Kart Space were the only two tracks being worked on.

My guess is they thought that Kart Space and these RM'ed cars were the weakest offering they had for payable DLC. Would make total sense to me to package them with the track that was the most requested.

If nothing else shows up for 6 months, then bitch away (I will join you) for now, lets just wait a month and see what happens

To be honest, I'm not interested in the FT86 II. What are PD going to give us next? GT-R SpecV Spec 2.5? :lol: Why the hell do we need an almost identical car? It's criminal that they are charging money at all for this so-called "DLC" Hey, 15 sodding RM variants of the same cars already in the game??? I get the impression PD are just deliberately taking the piss.

Hey, there seems to be a "little" bug with the DLC. I don't know if there's much other people than me affected by it (i haven't heard of any yet). You can see what I mean here at official Playstation forums.

Okay hold up a minute.. Just read the news feed. Wearing them out? Are you kidding me!? There are people out there who are affraid of "wearing them out"? Umm.. it's a video game, and secondly cars are built in order to be driven, especially racing cars.

That is utter nonsense. Wearing them out.. come off it.

Yo mate, you telling me I can't even collect mint condition VIRTUAL cars with my insignificant life ? I mean not everybody can be like Jay Leno and have a massive garage at home to store real-life ones, right ? Right ? :)

But I have to concede, what's the point of keeping 'em if we don't use it for it's purpose, to be driven.

At least let me pretend to be Jay once a while to let me enjoy the game with my collection.

"I drive like sh**, but at least I have a nice collection. Doesn't mean much, but still a nice collection... I mean everybody does COLLECT something, right ?" :sly:

-----------------------

On the cross region thingy so many here still face, I don't work for PD, I understand this Region Code thingy is Sony Entertainment Network design, so PD is trying to work "around" it. But so far I understand Kaz is saying sorry he's unable to pull off the "Cross Region" thing for the DLC.

Kaz tweet you've seen :
"And though we looked into this, unfortunately there’s no solution for crossing multiple regions. I’m sorry, but we have to ask you to match the region of your disc and your PSN account setting."

Did a network trace before, GT5 connects to 2 servers. For PSN logon it goes to a PSN server (regional *.playstation.net), after that GT5 uses a separate server (*.gran-turismo.com) to fetch Seasonals Events, which also limits your daily car sending to 1 per PS3. My best assumption only... hopefully not wasting your time :sly:

But I still hope he can find a way to allow "cross region" magic to happen, come December. Best of luck to his team. I'm holding out my purchase until the issues settle down then.

I have to admit Spa (via online lobby) is a blast! Thanks to Killa_Aaron.

But I still hope he can find a way to allow "cross region" magic to happen, come December. Best of luck to his team. I'm holding out my purchase until the issues settle down then.

I will wait too, but I feel it'll work on any BAD mix, after purchasing it by a GOOD mix lol

On the cross region thingy so many here still face, I don't work for PD, I understand this Region Code thingy is Sony Entertainment Network design, so PD is trying to work "around" it. But so far I understand Kaz is saying sorry he's unable to pull off the "Cross Region" thing for the DLC.

He's unable to do so because there's no "download" in GT5 DLC, just an unlock, and then all disc content ( and further updates ) must be tied to the game region.
This is absolutely stupid. :dunce:

Wow I can' believe the naiveness and lack of knowledge around here! It was always clear from the get go that region of disc and store must match for any game. You ever heard of PAL and NTSC, or laws and taxes? I guess not. If I was you, I'd stop asking for the impossible, we all might end up much worse, you ever thought of that? No, its just me, me, me... 👎

I downloaded GT500 stealth model, I wouldn't mind starting over with new acc it's just time that I don't have. I will be playing my 2nd acc and wait till december see what's what
I couldn't just abandoned the game as I have just bought a G27 few weeks ago
duh this is rather frustrating

He's unable to do so because there's no "download" in GT5 DLC, just an unlock, and then all disc content ( and further updates ) must be tied to the game region.
This is absolutely stupid. :dunce:

Yup, it's not the smartest idea, from consumers' point of view. However I understand PD and Sony needs money to continue making cool things we can use though... so this design is trying to meet business needs, theirs.

Would you believe me if I told you : Our original GT5 blu-ray disc pressed for Nov 2010 release (whatever edition, Collector or not) already contains ALL Stealth, Chromeline, and Special cars (GT Academy Special, Gamestop NASCAR and Edge Special Camaro) ? :sly:

The Redeem Code for them is just to UNLOCK too, albeit only for 1-time. Whereas this new DLC allow MULTIPLE times UNLOCK (via multiple purchases, buying Paint for example). That's the difference in DLC approach that is giving PD headaches. They need use use PSN as the delivery channel, which they say now CANNOT tie purchases to an individual PS3, but only to PSN IDs.

So I would stop worrying about HOW PD will solve this problem, and let them solve it. I ain't getting paid for worrying about this issue... Lets go back for another lap around the 'Ring, shall we ? :)

Edit : More juicy bits.
And I deduce that there is a Master DLC Code (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX format) that UNLOCKS ALL DLC Content for ALL REGIONS. And PD or PSN probably has it (or can generate it), for testing purpose :)

Now imagine the wet dreams you'll be having...

*Disclaimer : This is the Internet, do not believe EVERYTHING you read on it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, amazing discovery, so I downloaded the stealth GTR from my other account which is US psn user, then I log in my main acc which is aust psn acc and it said the stealth GTR is added to my garage! So let's just hope in december the dlc will work!
fingers crossed

Wow I can' believe the naiveness and lack of knowledge around here! It was always clear from the get go that region of disc and store must match for any game. You ever heard of PAL and NTSC, or laws and taxes? I guess not. If I was you, I'd stop asking for the impossible, we all might end up much worse, you ever thought of that? No, its just me, me, me... 👎

It SHOULD be like this from the beginning of the PSN.
But was never enforced in any PS3 game ( to have ALL regions the same ), and now is NOT the moment to change the rules.
There are many games not released in all regions, so we must import to play some Japan only games, for example.
There's also the problem for countries without PS Store, or where are equally available games from different regions.
We paid for the game, we paid for the DLC ( and so the taxes for the original region ).
I just wanna play! 👍

Lol. Yeah I know, youre right about the taxes, just saying you can't expect, say a NTSC region dlc to work with a PAL game disc for example. That just never worked. I hope most will get fixed with that patch allowing the dlc for multiple users on the same PS3 tho. 👍

they always must match when u buy it, but then u can play on any account even if it has a diff. region than the disc, that worked for ALL games until now, we just have to wait to see what the december update will do

Hey guys, amazing discovery, so I downloaded the stealth GTR from my other account which is US psn user, then I log in my main acc which is aust psn acc and it said the stealth GTR is added to my garage! So let's just hope in december the dlc will work!
fingers crossed

but your disc is a region 1 US right ?

"What does the region mean in the ps3? (for a Blu-Ray Game Disc)"
Region Code

Basically, The world is split in to 6 Regions:
0 Informal terms meaning "worldwide".
1 Canada, United States; U.S. territories; Bermuda
2 Western and Central Europe; Western Asia; Egypt, Japan, South Africa, Swaziland, Lesotho; United Kingdom, Turkey, French overseas territories
3 Southeast Asia; South Korea; Taiwan; Hong Kong
4 Australia; New Zealand; Oceania; Central and South America; Caribbean; Mexico
5 Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Africa, Central and South Asia, Mongolia, North Korea.
6 China
(Source - Wikipedia)

I think you quoted DVD regions. Blu-Ray discs are only split into 3 regions:

Region A - includes most North, Central and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus the Republic of China (Taiwan), Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea.
Region B - includes most European, African and southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand.
Region C - contains the remaining central and south Asian countries, as well as the People's Republic of China and Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

Though I thought, before searching this, that Taiwan, Japan, HK and Korea were region C, not A.

I think you quoted DVD regions. Blu-Ray discs are only split into 3 regions:

Region A - includes most North, Central and South American and Southeast Asian countries plus the Republic of China (Taiwan), Japan, Hong Kong, Macau and Korea.
Region B - includes most European, African and southwest Asian countries plus Australia and New Zealand.
Region C - contains the remaining central and south Asian countries, as well as the People's Republic of China and Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

Though I thought, before searching this, that Taiwan, Japan, HK and Korea were region C, not A.

Well, to confirm that finding, what does your GT5 Game box shows ? Mine is a single digit, not an alphabet :)

Well, to confirm that finding, what does your GT5 Game box shows ? Mine is a single digit, not an alphabet :)

It should only be 1, 2 or 3. But I will have to check it tonight back home...
Anyway, US discs now have, besides english and spanish, portuguese menus and audio for brazilian players (F1 2011 and PES 2012), so "Americas" is a single region.

yes, so I hope that in december when the dlc would work across the accounts in the same console, it would works the same way

Same situation here. US Disc / US PSN account (used for the store) / AR PSN account (used for playing)

I think in case the family upgrade is activated from the original purchasing account, there are big chances of everything working ok through every ID in a same PS3 (not really sure, as the ingame screen for activating DLC looks like an embed of PSN stores, maybe local PSN stores tied to each account)

If you need to activate each other user from local PSN stores, that would be a dead end for accounts from countries without PSN Stores.

I somehow think the activating dlc button is connected to the disc region? I also think that the reason the downloading time is slow for me because it's connected to US server, following the disc region.

I love how I don't have to buy the DLC to drive at SPA.

Joined a room hosted by Spy yesterday and the track looks stunning. Ended up hosting the room for a while too. 👍

Same situation here. US Disc / US PSN account (used for the store) / AR PSN account (used for playing)

I think in case the family upgrade is activated from the original purchasing account, there are big chances of everything working ok through every ID in a same PS3 (not really sure, as the ingame screen for activating DLC looks like an embed of PSN stores, maybe local PSN stores tied to each account)

If you need to activate each other user from local PSN stores, that would be a dead end for accounts from countries without PSN Stores.

yup I have a big feeling it'll work for all accounts, fingers crossed !

Would you believe me if I told you : Our original GT5 blu-ray disc pressed for Nov 2010 release (whatever edition, Collector or not) already contains ALL Stealth, Chromeline, and Special cars (GT Academy Special, Gamestop NASCAR and Edge Special Camaro) ? :sly:

No, I wouldn't believe you. I had to download the four Stealth cars, and the Chromeline cars as well, where they actually downloaded from the Sony store (I sat and waited and watched the bar progress as the download to my hard drive was ongoing), which is why they are available to all my account on my PS3. The recent package causing all the controversy does not download to your hard drive as it was already there as part of the spec 2 update. It is just an unlock.

No, I wouldn't believe you. I had to download the four Stealth cars, and the Chromeline cars as well, where they actually downloaded from the Sony store (I sat and waited and watched the bar progress as the download to my hard drive was ongoing), which is why they are available to all my account on my PS3. The recent package causing all the controversy does not download to your hard drive as it was already there as part of the spec 2 update. It is just an unlock.
The Stealth cars were unlocks. I'm assuming the Chromelines were as well, but I don't really know; though I would be surprised if the Edge Camaro was an unlock too.

It should only be 1, 2 or 3. But I will have to check it tonight back home...
Anyway, US discs now have, besides english and spanish, portuguese menus and audio for brazilian players (F1 2011 and PES 2012), so "Americas" is a single region.
Mine say 4.

Good observation. But the question is HOW LONG you need to download those cars, and HOW BIG the download files are ? :)

Juicy bits :
If you don't mind and have a look at your PSN Download List (from the PS3), you can see the size of Stealth and Chromeline download items after you entered your Redeem Code.

After that ask a friend who does 3D modelling or Game development for a rough guess, how big does one single car asset needs to be to look like a Premium GT5 car, plus all its Bitmap Textures and Sound files. And you should arrive at something similar to this :

"100Kb for a Premium R35 GTR GT500 Stealth ? Why that is ludricous! How they manage to squeeze all that into this little file ?"

And probably you find the answer is, they did NOT squeeze all that into the small file, everything is already in your PS3 via the disc, the 100Kb is just a very long UNLOCK key (same file size for ALL Stealths and Chromelines). Well either that or its just contains the 3D mesh data only...

"Um, Elementary, My Dear Watson...?" :sly:

The Edge Special and GT Academy Special etc is a different approach, it's more like a regular car ticket that cannot be gifted, cannot be won through in-game offline races, and has no other method of being obtained. So only PD can generate a Gift Ticket for it (via online Seasonals or whatnots).

If you work for PD or know of someone who does, I'd like to confirm my findings as well. Pardon me, I'm just a very curious driver, that's all.

Just my observation, but don't believe EVERYTHING you read on the Internet, I'd say :)

So we WAIT until another episode of PD's "Patch for the First DLC", coming in December 2011 then.

Back