DLC release discussion (Some note in first post)

• Thread starter TCSdisable
  • 1,033 comments
hey can anyone tell me why was the DLC rescheduled for US and Canada its BS and not fair that they didn't give us a reason why

It all has to be released in accordance with the Sony bureaucracy.

There isn't a reason for them to have an update idea ready to go and not have it uploaded to servers in an instant, other than that they must work with the official playstation 3 update process.

PD probably has a specific schedule to adhere to, so that Sony can cut the costs of keeping their PSN network functioning.

Good observation. But the question is HOW LONG you need to download those cars, and HOW BIG the download files are ? :)

Juicy bits :
If you don't mind and have a look at your PSN Download List (from the PS3), you can see the size of Stealth and Chromeline download items after you entered your Redeem Code.

After that ask a friend who does 3D modelling or Game development for a rough guess, how big does one single car asset needs to be to look like a Premium GT5 car, plus all its Bitmap Textures and Sound files. And you should arrive at something similar to this :

"100Kb for a Premium R35 GTR GT500 Stealth ? Why that is ludricous! How they manage to squeeze all that into this little file ?"

And probably you find the answer is, they did NOT squeeze all that into the small file, everything is already in your PS3 via the disc, the 100Kb is just a very long UNLOCK key (same file size for ALL Stealths and Chromelines). Well either that or its just contains the 3D mesh data only...

"Um, Elementary, My Dear Watson...?" :sly:

The Edge Special and GT Academy Special etc is a different approach, it's more like a regular car ticket that cannot be gifted, cannot be won through in-game offline races, and has no other method of being obtained. So only PD can generate a Gift Ticket for it (via online Seasonals or whatnots).

If you work for PD or know of someone who does, I'd like to confirm my findings as well. Pardon me, I'm just a very curious driver, that's all.

Just my observation, but don't believe EVERYTHING you read on the Internet, I'd say :)

So we WAIT until another episode of PD's "Patch for the First DLC", coming in December 2011 then.
100kb is an unlock key thats how they did it with Burnout.

I'm probably only going to buy the Track pack.

It's $23 for the complete package, and only $8 for the track pack. Hmmmmmm...

Is the car pack worth more than double the track pack? In the US, combining the cost of the track and car pack minus 1 dollar gives you the cost of the complete package.

It must suck living in Australia and New Zealand. Incredible places to live, but the money!!!

On the Aus PSN it was much cheaper to get the whole thing. Once you add it all up you get like a pack free I think.

Is the car pack worth more than double the track pack?
In my opinion the car pack is worth the money. These are the best cars in the game (driveability, look, sound), IMO. These cars are well done for cups and with the forbidden tuning option in the lobbies. I think, you will like the DLC! 👍

The car pack is $15. I want the cars but I bet they would just sit in my garage gathering dust.

I only really play online, and when I race it's either a shuffle race or a same car race using the reccomend list.

$23 sounds like a lot but I guess it's just relative to where I live. Top games cost $120-$130 here :lol:

The car pack is $15. I want the cars but I bet they would just sit in my garage gathering dust.

I only really play online, and when I race it's either a shuffle race or a same car race using the reccomend list.

$23 sounds like a lot but I guess it's just relative to where I live. Top games cost $120-$130 here :lol:

Wow, you New Zealanders must make the big bucks. :scared:

Back