Do any other racing simulators have a program for joining a real race team?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Magog
  • 21 comments
  • 2,039 views
Messages
1,936
United States
United States
If not why do these "serious racers" play those PC games? Seems to me if your dream is to be a real race car driver Gran Turismo Sport is the only place to be.
 
Well some just like to have a little more in depth racing i think. Some may not even dream of becoming real racers or some maybe already are. Besides iRacing has a $100.000 prize pool for 6 official championships so its not like they dont have anything to race for on the PC.
 
Congratulations: you have proven that marketing works. :)

There are stories out there of people graduating from other titles like iRacing to getting behind the wheel of a real car. But no others had the marketing budgets of Nissan and Sony behind them, so they've never had the same level of visibility.

Hopefully, with things like the McLaren Shadow Project, NASCAR Youth League, and the 2018 F1 Esports championship, more racing teams start cottoning on to the potential benefits of sim racing.
 
If not why do these "serious racers" play those PC games? Seems to me if your dream is to be a real race car driver Gran Turismo Sport is the only place to be.

They could play them for fun
 
Then obviously those aren't the people my post was directed at.

You can have fun while doing something you want to have a professional career in
 
Umm....FIA/ACO official WEC esports Championship takes place in Forza.

There’s a spotter currently in NASCAR, I forget which car he’s with, who started his career in iRacing.

If you play iRacing, you have a chance to go head to head with the likes of Dale Earnhardt Jr, Jeff Gordon, Scott Mclaughlen, Lando Norris, the Vandelinder brothers, etc.

All the people who competed in the Las Vegas ePrix came from top level sims like iRacing.

Anyone who is serious about their online racing, especially those chasing a real career, would want to compete on the most realistic sim possible - an advanced tire model, dynamic weather, advanced tuning settings, etc. GTS is one step above Need for Speed in terms of being a sim.
 
I would really like to know how real car racers look at it.
Professional drivers who also have experience with sims like IRacing, Asseto, PC2 and GTS.

In my oppinion, its possible to "oversimulate" a game.
What I mean is, in a game where the real physics are 1 to 1 correctly simmulated, it will be harder to drive the car as in real, due to the fact of having all the other inputs when sitting in the real car.
 
I would really like to know how real car racers look at it.
Professional drivers who also have experience with sims like IRacing, Asseto, PC2 and GTS.

In my oppinion, its possible to "oversimulate" a game.
What I mean is, in a game where the real physics are 1 to 1 correctly simmulated, it will be harder to drive the car as in real, due to the fact of having all the other inputs when sitting in the real car.
 
@Shottah072

Thanks but I don't understand portuguese.

What does he say? Is it mentioned which game it is he was playing?
 
There’s a spotter currently in NASCAR, I forget which car he’s with, who started his career in iRacing.

Not sure of what spotter you're talking about, but there is a driver in the Cup series who came from iRacing.

Anyone who is serious about their online racing, especially those chasing a real career, would want to compete on the most realistic sim possible - an advanced tire model, dynamic weather, advanced tuning settings, etc. GTS is one step above Need for Speed in terms of being a sim.

Really I don't think it's that big of a deal to have more arcade handling since at the end of the day you're going to be starting at the lower end of the spectrum of racing series anyways. Games like Forza and GT are close enough to get the basics down, and that's all you really need to get a decent start.
 
Not sure of what spotter you're talking about, but there is a driver in the Cup series who came from iRacing.



Really I don't think it's that big of a deal to have more arcade handling since at the end of the day you're going to be starting at the lower end of the spectrum of racing series anyways. Games like Forza and GT are close enough to get the basics down, and that's all you really need to get a decent start.
Turns out it wasn’t iRacing, but a predecessor to it.

The spotter in question is TJ Majors, who was the spotter for one Dale Earnhardt Jr. The pair met online in the 90s, and in 2001, Jr took a road trip to Buffalo to pick up Majors and move him down south.

https://racingnews.co/2017/10/28/tj-majors-dale-earnhardt-jr-nascar-spotter/
 
@Shottah072

Thanks but I don't understand portuguese.

What does he say? Is it mentioned which game it is he was playing?
You can select english subtitles from the menu.

He is playing stock car extreme wich is the predecessor of Automobilista.

He is driving a stock car. The same as the series he runs in.
 
As far as I know, there aren't any programs to take drivers from sim racing to the real thing since GT Academy is no longer. Yes, there are some guys who you have seen start with sim racing and make it to real racing, but to my knowledge these few examples have also had the financial backing to do so. Meaning that they have the family money, connections, or their own businesses to write their own checks to go racing. They were not hired and paid to go race professionally if that makes sense.

I think the growth of esports will help bridge the gap and find real driving talent again for those who cannot afford to go racing traditionally, or at least that is what I hope to see from it. I also think there will be a way, if you're good enough, to make a full time living as a professional sim racer. I already am proof you can make it to real racing from sims and that you can be paid to sim race. At the end of the day you have to keep trying every avenue you can. Best of luck!!!
 
VBR
Really, it ended! When did that happen? Didn't see it on the news here...


:eek:

It ended silently as Nissan started to pull many of their factory racing efforts in 2015 and 2016. I think they would like to bring it back one day but Nissan was putting the funding behind it and as far as I know there isn't anyone else willing to put up the money needed to run a program like that. Would love to see it return one day!
 
Try to place your name on top 20 Porsche CUP in iRacing every week. The CUP car suspension/chassis simulation is something to behold.
 
Try to place your name on top 20 Porsche CUP in iRacing every week. The CUP car suspension/chassis simulation is something to behold.

I only play FIA sanctioned video games, sorry.
 
I only play FIA sanctioned video games, sorry.
BT0A5bJskHO4o.gif
 
Back