Do look at your speed while driving?

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by CallawaySS, Jun 24, 2019.

1. CallawaySS

CallawaySS

One of my friends once asked me what speed I carry through certain corner and I said I don't know, because I dont watch my speed. He then acted surprised and told me it's stupid. After some while I decided to try it too and I'm now faster. For example, in some corners I know I have to keep a certain to speed to get a fast enter and fast exit.

I've been wondering how many of you do this as well? And also...do real racing drivers do it too?

2. Brzlav

Brzlav

I only do it in certain corners at special "markers", for example, on the Nordschleife, I look at my exit speed out of the Mutkurve when I'm next to the Curb.

I should maybe look at it more as well.

CallawaySS likes this.
  3. Vegard

Vegard

Less and less as the week progresses.

Pigems and CallawaySS like this.
  4. Pigems

Pigems

Rarely ever, I go by Gear and RPM range. :)

Real motorcycle racers tape over the speedo from what I’ve heard, they don’t wanna know how fast they’re really going. :lol:

NosOsH, super_gt, AlexDB9 and 7 others like this.
  5. FUNanywhere

FUNanywhere

Never.

6. watashi49uk

watashi49uk

I'm usually too busy to look at the speedo, trying to stay on track! :lol:

seadog777, Sploshington and Pigems like this.
  7. fordlaser

fordlaser Premium

Never, because if you do you will lose your concentration on the road ahead and you will end up making mistakes.

8. watto79

watto79

As a general rule I don't. However when I'm trying to improve lap times I watch the top drivers replays and note their apex speeds. I use that to see where I'm too slow. Once I've worked out the speed for a corner I go by feel/sound rather than looking at the speedo.

9. NJ72

NJ72

I sometimes glance down to it, but it's more when I'm on a long straight and I've got nothing better to be doing with my time.

10. TurboTacho

TurboTacho

Usually I'd look at the speed to "capture" the reference speed for entry, apex and exit of a corner if I feel that I could go faster around there.

SmnSyz, ProjectF, RCKakashi14 and 5 others like this.
  11. Cerebral303

Cerebral303

As above, as a quick reference when learning a corner watching others laps and seeing how fast is actually possible then going as close as I can. It is liberating seeing someone take a certain corner 20-30mph faster than you, try it yourself and suddenly realise how much faster you can do it.

The next challenge is finding a line around drivers who are slower round those corners.

Generally I don't look at the speedo though. Like most people if I am either accelerating or braking and if so I do it by distance from the corner, adjusting braking a little earlier if I had a good run down a straight or slightly later if I had a penalty or something.

sirjim73 and Pigems like this.
  12. Leftcurl

Leftcurl

i don't.. but i notice the Kie does and references it quite often when he's narrating his laps - probably something that the aliens use more as they don't have to concentrate as much on the menial things that we have to.

Pigems and kilesa4568 like this.
  13. GiordySays

GiordySays

No not really, I normally look at the lap sectors instead

AlexDB9 likes this.
  14. Sven Jurgens

Sven Jurgens

Never. The only time I look at my speed is when driving a car that's rev limited on the straight. Keep the speed just 1 or 2 kph below where it bounces you down 10kph for hitting max rev while drafting.

It might be more beneficial in slower cars as the faster the car the easier to judge speed from the movement. Too busy looking at the mirror and radar to check speed in corners.

KepleroGT and Cerebral303 like this.
  15. zzz_pt

zzz_pt Premium

On TT I do it at certain croners where it's easier to lose exit/apex speed. I also quickly check too speed in certain straights.

During race though I don't do it as often, unless I'm trying to push at TT pace to build/close a gap.

I think it helps quite a bit to be faster.

16. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

When I'm learning a track I glance at it at apex to see what speed I'm carrying then try for more speed the next lap. Once I know what I can carry I tend to switch the HUD off as I don't need it anymore.

17. 8l23ub

8l23ub

Not really, I make errors while I'm looking where I'm going, so looking at anything else is a recipe for disaster.
    I check speeds from the replays.

18. R1600Turbo

R1600Turbo Premium

Never.

19. RacingFan1

RacingFan1

Pretty much never, for me racing is all instinctive.
    There are some exceptions like the curva grande at Monza track without the chicane, in that case its a very dangerous corner and you must carry a precise speed there, or you're either off to the gravel, or you lose a lot of time.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  20. SlipZtrEm

SlipZtrEm Administrator

I'm sometimes paralyzed by the obsession with entry/apex speeds, but on the advice of @BLKJ Evolution in Monaco, I've started to focus less on that and more on the balance of the car and maximizing the available track space. I'm not sure if it's made me much faster, but it's certainly increased my consistency, and how I drive in packs.

BLKJ Evolution and Saur like this.
  21. kilesa4568

kilesa4568

Monitoring my speed is too technical for me. I just listen to the RPM's.

L_Kesan likes this.
  22. MikeV27

MikeV27

Only at the end of big straights before I brake. Other than that, I never take my eyes off straight ahead to look at my speed. I will only watch the rev counter when going through corners because it’s easier to see with my peripheral vision, this along with the split times is good enough for me, no need to look at the speedo imo.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  23. mirial

mirial

This is probably where it is ideal to look, graphics permitting at T1-T2 Suzuka as so much preparation is needed as we approach two corners very, very quickly. Other drivers may have other methods, but the key thing is to always be ahead of what you are about to do.

Blue marks the boundaries with which to set up the zone in red for rotation and acceleration whilst yellow indicates where it is ideal to look which must always be ahead of a given operation. Looking at the operation whilst doing it won't allow you to monitor the slip angle of the car relative to the road accurately.

Attached Files:

fastone371 and Krypton78 like this.
  24. O604

O604

I probably look too much. Never had an accident because of it, yet. But get a bit paranoid about it. Also my wheel sometimes gets in the way and I have to look around it. I need to improve that situation too.

This is an area where it would be nice to have another pair of eyes. Like a crew member on radio telling you speed, gaps, splits, etc.. Or an AI version of that.

Some user programmable audio triggers would be a nice addition. Like lap reminder. "You have 1 lap remaining..... dumbass." :lol:

AlexDB9 and fastone371 like this.
  25. daan

daan Moderator

Are you in the right thread? :confused:

26. mirial

mirial

why?

27. daan

daan Moderator

You've went off on a tangent about how far ahead you should look and illustrated it by using a different game where the speed is pretty much invisible anyway.

28. Saur

Saur

I glance at my speed when I reach the apex of a corner just to make sure I’m carrying the right amount of speed, and occasionally I’ll use my speed as a braking “marker” if I can’t find a good reference point on the track itself- I’ll hit the brakes once I reach a certain speed. Other than that I agree with the post @SlipZtrEm made; I think it’s best to not look at my speed too much and instead focus on other things such optimizing my line and the car’s behavior, and if everything goes right then the speed will usually take care of itself.

29. Groundfish

Groundfish

If I’m trying to qual I will look at a reference spot in certain areas and check mph.
    Heck anymore I qual with everything off hud and all.
    You know when you messed up...
    Don’t think just drive!

30. FPV MIC

FPV MIC

Only on longish straights at certain track markers to gauge the quality of my corner exit, but never in the corner. I save that for when I watch replays comparing my laps... and my corner speeds vs the aliens.

super_gt and Rizla like this.