Do You Countersteer?

• Thread starter Jesus
  • 72 comments
I'd argue that getting around a corner with smoke pouring from the back tyres using nothing but clever throttle control and perfect entry angle and speed is much harder than your ordinary countersteered drift. Everyone who says that there's more angle in a counterteered drift as opposed to your standard kansei/race/battle/KTsaysotherwise/whateveryouwanttocallit drift but the fact that it looks pretty bloody impressive just sells it for me. There's an art to it whichever way you do it and they are both hard to get exactly right. But you can't argue that taking a hairpin corner with LOOKNOHANDS isn't impressive. Just the right scandanavian flick, good weight transfer to the rear, enough throttle on the way round to make the slicks spin and gunning it as soon as you see the exit is something I just find delicious. Counts as drifting in my books. Just as much as a fantastic countersteer to get the fronts riding the ripple strip along the inside.

Personally I countersteer a lot, and sometimes the car will surprise me by acting nicely instead of biting me in the rear end; it'll actually behave and let me pull off a nice four wheel drift. I'll get just as much gratification out of it as I would normally too. Anyone who can flawlessly pull off both techniques is a genuinely impressive, all-round drifter in my opinion. I'm sure some of you are that good and I look forward to seeing you on the tsukuba.
tl;dr yes, I countersteer.

I'd argue that getting around a corner with smoke pouring from the back tyres using nothing but clever throttle control and perfect entry angle and speed is much harder than your ordinary countersteered drift. Everyone who says that there's more angle in a counterteered drift as opposed to your standard kansei/race/battle/KTsaysotherwise/whateveryouwanttocallit drift but the fact that it looks pretty bloody impressive just sells it for me. There's an art to it whichever way you do it and they are both hard to get exactly right. But you can't argue that taking a hairpin corner with LOOKNOHANDS isn't impressive. Just the right scandanavian flick, good weight transfer to the rear, enough throttle on the way round to make the slicks spin and gunning it as soon as you see the exit is something I just find delicious. Counts as drifting in my books. Just as much as a fantastic countersteer to get the fronts riding the ripple strip along the inside.

Personally I countersteer a lot, and sometimes the car will surprise me by acting nicely instead of biting me in the rear end; it'll actually behave and let me pull off a nice four wheel drift. I'll get just as much gratification out of it as I would normally too. Anyone who can flawlessly pull off both techniques is a genuinely impressive, all-round drifter in my opinion. I'm sure some of you are that good and I look forward to seeing you on the tsukuba.
tl;dr yes, I countersteer.

If you let go a car in a drift without your hand on the wheel, wheels will still countersteer themselves.

Indeed it would have been :)

Edit, in fact, that's me in the background of the static shot, in the green t-shirt and red 'autoglym' hat. :)

haha - you officially got papped!

off topic but that was a good day out and it was great to see the brits/euros go up against the d1 boys. darren mc in his corolla was doing us especially proud.

Don't really understand the reason for this thread. Surely the angle of the car dictates whether you have alot of countersteer or not. in a RWD car, the front wheels are always pointing the direction you're going in a drift. So a lot of angle = more countersteer to keep the wheels pointing where you're going. This is just logic. Kansei drifting (as far as i'm aware) just means you have alot less angle, therefore less countersteer and higher speed. Show drifting has high angle and you need more countersteer.

Don't really understand the reason for this thread. Surely the angle of the car dictates whether you have alot of countersteer or not. in a RWD car, the front wheels are always pointing the direction you're going in a drift. So a lot of angle = more countersteer to keep the wheels pointing where you're going. This is just logic. Kansei drifting (as far as i'm aware) just means you have alot less angle, therefore less countersteer and higher speed. Show drifting has high angle and you need more countersteer.

I said all this on page 2, but no-one seems to be listening LOL

So basically I just found out there is a lot of controversy about peoples skill rating on wether people countersteer all the way through the drift or very little at all. I myself do not countersteer through the drift much, mainly coming out of it as I use the throttle to steer. So I was wondering, how much do you countersteer and when. And does it make you a better drifter if you use a lot, or if you use next to no, countersteer?
This is for RWD cars only none of that AWD nonsense.

I'm constantly countersteering, i lessen the countersteer a bit to turn in more, synchronised with braking (abs off ballance 1 front 9 rear) a bit and gunning the throttle more, almost never i come out of that countersteer moment until i need to transition or straighten out.

well, leigh it seems some drift with just ticks of the stick to the left and right.
So basically almost never countersteer fully. i think that was the start of this thread. ;)

For me it all comes down to the angle of the turn and the power of my car. If my car doesn't have the power to go full-lock countersteer on a turn, I'll have to compensate by reducing the angle and mashing the gas... and hoping for the best. ;)

I'm a little late to the punch on this one but it's hard to find forums that get it.
I drive a fourwheeler. Nothing too special, a newer model grizzly 700. I use it to get to work everyday but I don't have an alarm and I often need to get there as fast as I can, so I'm always pushing the corners as hard as possible. Normally I'd say that drifting is just flashy and if you can walk the edge well enough a grip run ought to be faster, but fourwheelers have a pretty high centre of gravity and since I only have an anti-sway bar on the back I drift out of necessity. Due to some strange laws in Canada I'm limited on the roads that I can drive on so I'm basically forced to take this winding gravel road. The maximum speed that I can take these corners range between 70 - 90 km/h. After about 8000 kms of this I'm starting to notice a weird balance point in the drift: where you don't need to steer. I mean, if you let go the front tires would automatically countersteer, i mean where the front tires are in the same direction as the rear. I've just been wondering if the front tires are sliding because I'm shifting enough weight to the back. The weird part is that it doesn't feel like I could go any faster or sharper like that. It feels like you're locked into steering as sharp as is possible at that speed. I'm going to be playing around with it for a while though, to see if the driving line of a zero-countersteer four wheel drift is solely dependant on entry speed or if there is a way to change your line without losing your balance.

Oh, I guess it's important to mention that I am driving in rwd. I usually only use awd in the snow.

I'm a little late to the punch on this one but it's hard to find forums that get it.
I drive a fourwheeler. Nothing too special, a newer model grizzly 700. I use it to get to work everyday but I don't have an alarm and I often need to get there as fast as I can, so I'm always pushing the corners as hard as possible. Normally I'd say that drifting is just flashy and if you can walk the edge well enough a grip run ought to be faster, but fourwheelers have a pretty high centre of gravity and since I only have an anti-sway bar on the back I drift out of necessity. Due to some strange laws in Canada I'm limited on the roads that I can drive on so I'm basically forced to take this winding gravel road. The maximum speed that I can take these corners range between 70 - 90 km/h. After about 8000 kms of this I'm starting to notice a weird balance point in the drift: where you don't need to steer. I mean, if you let go the front tires would automatically countersteer, i mean where the front tires are in the same direction as the rear. I've just been wondering if the front tires are sliding because I'm shifting enough weight to the back. The weird part is that it doesn't feel like I could go any faster or sharper like that. It feels like you're locked into steering as sharp as is possible at that speed. I'm going to be playing around with it for a while though, to see if the driving line of a zero-countersteer four wheel drift is solely dependant on entry speed or if there is a way to change your line without losing your balance.

Oh, I guess it's important to mention that I am driving in rwd. I usually only use awd in the snow.
You dumb

Back