Do you like your country?

• Thread starter PHCharls
  • 360 comments

Do you like your country?

• Total voters
We must be proud of our differences - not difference as in superiority, but difference as in . . . difference.

Yes, but many of these people are often times racist, sexist, and homophobic. Especially in the south, I have seen many people who get angry at someone because they are a different religion, or race. I mean right now many people here are saying that all Muslims should be banished from the country. People that in most cases came to America to get away from the radicals, but nope, they're all just the same. They practice the same religion and are the same color as the group we are fighting, so of course they all need to leave. It's so stupid. I genuinely can't believe people think that way.

I like my country. I don't like a big part of my countrymen.

That said, I'm not living in my country... Going back tomorrow for the holiday season though. :)

I love my country. I'm just ashamed that everyone in it that has power is a corrupt and lying p.o.s. that dragged us down until we hit rock bottom while stuffing their pockets, along with their families and buddies. And still they're free to enjoy their fortunes, and in most cases, still active in their jobs...

I love my country. I'm just ashamed that everyone in it that has power is a corrupt and lying p.o.s. that dragged us down until we hit rock bottom while stuffing their pockets, along with their families and buddies. And still they're free to enjoy their fortunes, and in most cases, still active in their jobs...
Power corrupts.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

12,000 posts YaY

Been thinking about this question a lot lately. The answer is yes, I love my country (USA), it's my home and my whole life is here as well as my family. I'm lucky to live here, we certainly have privileges that other countries don't have. It's hard to complain.

BUT I've done a lot of traveling and I have to admit that I have a strong desire to take my life elsewhere, but not for political reasons or anything like that. I found that there are other parts of the world that just suit me better than the US.

What is El Dia de Muertos? What other sort of food do you eat over there that are not typically Mexican?

It's special day where we Mexican remember and honor our dead relatives. We build a small altar and decorate it with papel picado (literally, peckered papel), sugar & chocalate skulls, candies, Pan de muertos, candles, flowers (they are called cempaxochitl, but to keep it simple, just call it "Flor de Muertos"), we also prepare some food for them, food that they liked when they were among us, and the altar may or may not include some personal items of them.

Our belief is that on November 1st, the spirits of the small children come to visit our homes, and take the essence of the food with them. On the next day, November 2nd, the adults come, and do the same. To guide them to the altar, we prepare a road made of Flores de Muerto and burn some copal, because according to our traditions, the spirits are blind.

During that day, people all over the country move to graveyards and churches to pray for them and to be with them and to decorate the graves of their beloved ones.

Here are 2 Altares the muertos, so you can make an idea of what this is all about.

5153.jpg

mejores-altares-dia-muertos-mexico-4.jpg

As for the food question, I think I'm very confident to say our diet is very diverse. We don't eat tacos and tamales and pozole and mole every single day. People eat a lot of pasta, rice, bread chicken and fish, and a lot of dishes from many parts of the world. :)

Hamburguers, french fries, Pizza, Mexico eats a loooot of fast food these days, too.

The only thing that is true is that we eat a lot of tortillas. Tons of them :lol:

I like it very much.

When I see what is happening in other countries around the world and when refugees are going through your own country looking for new homes you can be pretty happy where you are.

@MoLiEG I just remembered those from the opening Sequence of SPECTRE.....

Exactly. Here in Mexico City there a looot of activities going on during those days: Altar Expositions, Performances, Art Contests, Parades, Stage Plays, etc. In real life it's not that different from what the movie showed.

Except for the massive crowd showed in the helicopter fight scene :lol:

Yes, I like my country. No one else would tolerate me. Typical "ugly" American. I couldn't live anywhere else I'm sure they would toss my old tail in jail, & I wouldn't know why.

Yes, I like my country. No one else would tolerate me. Typical "ugly" American. I couldn't live anywhere else I'm sure they would toss my old tail in jail, & I wouldn't know why.

Hi Henry Kissinger! /sarcasm

Now seriously. Do you really think every other country in the world would put you in jail for no reason? That's weird...

I like Canada. It's still impressive how massive it is, and there's still so much left for me to see. I wouldn't mind living closer to some actual mountains, but otherwise, I enjoy what nature provides here. Being so close to the Falls helps.

That said, I don't plan on living elsewhere in the country. I've enjoyed the transitions in life – a tiny, ~1000 people village for the first fourteen years, a half-million city for half that, and then Toronto – and I've found the big city is what suits me best, at least at this point in life, and for the foreseeable future. If I were to move anywhere else, it'd likely be Britain. But the chances of the dream job hiring me are pretty slim, unless @homeforsummer feels like putting in a supremely good word. :lol:

Despite all the talk of "free healthcare", I can't say I'm a huge fan of our system, if only because, well, you get what you pay for. Though really, it isn't free, since I've been paying taxes on it all these years. I like that the system is there for me if I need it, but as I've been blessed with a relatively care-free life (knock on wood), it hasn't done much for me past the occasional flu treatment. Or the two staples in my head after I lost a fight with a brick fireplace as a three year old.

I love the weather. Sure, I'll complain about it, much like most of us will: right now it's misty and very likely to be a record high temperature for this part of the year later in the week. It's the first time I can remember where we haven't had any snow stay on the ground before Christmas. Most winters see us routinely hitting -30 or so with windchill, and while I hate that when I'm stuck in it, I appreciate the wide spread Canada affords me. Sure, sunny California sounds great, but I'd be worried about getting bored with the weather there.

About the only thing I dislike in Canada is the obvious lack of architectural history in comparison to Europe. We don't have centuries-old buildings. Hell, Toronto barely lets anything hit the century mark.

Toronto in particular has an amazing food scene. I like that almost every nationality has a lot of representation, and I've been able to try most of them since moving here. There really is something for everyone, at all levels of quality and cost. I've been told we have the highest number of restaurants per capita, but as that's something at least a half dozen different cities in the country claim, I remain skeptical. All that matters is it's enough for me.

@SlipZtrEm

Not too fond of the housing prices in Vancouver and Toronto though. :indiff: Sadly if I plan to move out I'll need a fairly hefty chequing account, or I'll have to move to a more rural city.

Toronto in particular has an amazing food scene.
That is one of the things that I am most looking forward to when I move. The different food festivals all over town :drool:. When I was there last year, it happened to be taste of the Kingsway, and the Ukrainian food festival in Bloor West Village.
The food where I am now is not particularly inspiring.

Today, an American tourist was stabbed (with a nife) in the chest in Brussels. His life is not in danger.

Today, an American tourist was stabbed (with a nife) in the chest in Brussels. His life is not in danger.

Fortunately neither of my passports is American.
Or, for that matter, even US.

Would this prevent any meelokte? :nervous:

Fortunately neither of my passports is American.
Or, for that matter, even US.

Would this prevent any meelokte? :nervous:
Nice! Dutch! Good try.

Meelokte is the imperfect/simple past of the verb "meelokken".

A little more information; an American tourist and three friends (girls) were admiring the Christmas decoration when 3 Belgians sweet-talked one of the girls to come with them. The American went after them and that was not what the 3 Belgians wanted, so they started fighthing. Unfortunately, one of the 3 cowards (one of the 3 Belgians) had a Swiss pocket nife and stabbed the American in the chest. He was taken to the hospital but he is in no danger.
The 3 cowards fled the scene but were arrested shortly after.

@kikie - Penknife fight over a girl? :lol:

These Belgians are fun. How old were they? Did the girl like the Belgians? Was the American protecting his harem?
We never get the real story. :(

And hats off to the Belgian Police for nabbing the sticker and his cowardly little pals who couldn't even have a fair knucklebout three-to-one. Me and my girls would have kicked their asses, penknife and all. Maybe even gone out for drinks later after that.

You better meet these guys and tell them GTPlanet isn't impressed, and that they're giving you a bad name.

BTW - My father is Dutch. I never learned the language - just a few odd words. We all spoke English at home. Shame, eh?

@kikie - Penknife fight over a girl? :lol:

These Belgians are fun. How old were they? Did the girl like the Belgians? Was the American protecting his harem?
We never get the real story. :(

And hats off to the Belgian Police for nabbing the sticker and his cowardly little pals who couldn't even have a fair knucklebout three-to-one. Me and my girls would have kicked their asses, penknife and all. Maybe even gone out for drinks later after that.

You better meet these guys and tell them GTPlanet isn't impressed, and that they're giving you a bad name.

BTW - My father is Dutch. I never learned the language - just a few odd words. We all spoke English at home. Shame, eh?
Yes, he was protecting the girl. Unfortunately, they kicked his ass. I wish the American had kicked their asses.
20 and 21 y.o.. The article didn't mention the age of the third coward. It is due to the very detailed description of the cowards, given by the American, that the police was able to arrest them.

You're never too old to learn. ;)

I can speak, read and write Dutch, which means that Dutch is an easy language to learn. You see, my logic is impeccable.

:lol:

Quite precise. :)

I have wanted to get back to my roots, learn proper Dutch again, but got side-tracked by Latin, then French, then German, then gave up on all of it because I wanted to play with a language that has 1,025,109 words.
Well, actually there must be more now.

I'm hearing that instagramming is now quite a useful word - though I don't instagram myself myself.

IMHO, though, I think that people should try to learn some of the languages their culture is rooted in.

:lol:

Quite precise. :)

I have wanted to get back to my roots, learn proper Dutch again, but got side-tracked by Latin, then French, then German, then gave up on all of it because I wanted to play with a language that has 1,025,109 words.
Well, actually there must be more now.

I'm hearing that instagramming is now quite a useful word - though I don't instagram myself myself.

IMHO, though, I think that people should try to learn some of the languages their culture is rooted in.
I'm not going to learn Marsian.

:D

BTW, even my Flemish is very good. :P

Yes, he was protecting the girl. Unfortunately, they kicked his ass. I wish the American had kicked their asses.
20 and 21 y.o.. The article didn't mention the age of the third coward. It is due to the very detailed description of the cowards, given by the American, that the police was able to arrest them.

So maybe the third guy was a juvenile.
Still . . . it doesn't say much for international relations.
Why is it that it didn't go the other way around? The Americans and Belgians befriending each other - both parties would have benefited from that.
Maybe the Belgians approched the situation wrong - bad social skills - or the American was paranoid or insulted in some way.

No more information was released. The rest is speculation. At least, the American was no coward, trying to protect the girl from three real cowards.

All I have to say is, don't judge an entire country by a few rotten apples. :P

All I have to say is, don't judge an entire country by a few rotten apples. :P

In the past, to judge an entire nation by the few individuals one met from that country was easy; we were programmed by concentrated and curated media - like books and newspapers. Not much to make up our minds with - so we could make up our minds fast - and therefore were also prejudiced faster.

The truth is harder to shove down humanity's throat in a concentrated and filtered lump. The truth is widespread. The truth is at our fingertips. At the very least - more information is at our fingertips - and we have more to work with when making up our minds to paint people with brushes other than those worn out by stereotyping.

I'm not sure if I should protest about the government decisions or just leave before more 🤬 goes down...

First, they decided to raise the prices of meat to the point I almost became a vegetarian... now they just raised the prices of fuel by %60. It gonna cause alot of hate and problems. I mean we aren't rich people. A lot of us drive SUV's and most cars sold here are petrol engine's. Options of Diesel engined cars are so limited. Most of them are just Pick Up Trucks and Lorry's so you won't see diesel Engine BMW or something like that. Hybrid and Electric cars? Those types of cars are so limited, they only cars you would see of that category are some Hyper-super car...

Unless Government lowered the price to what it was before or Manufacturers reacted to this problem and gave us more Diesels and Hybrids that are affordable, this place is doomed.

You can't like the UK. You can't like the overpriced rail fare, especially when most of the stations appear not to have received any sort of maintenance over the past 30 years beyond putting a couple of vending machines in and replacing a sign when the rail franchise changed. You can't like the pothole filled roads which have been designed to have as much space to fit cars on as possible with all other road users being an afterthought. You can't like the absurdly undemocratic political system we have here in comparison with most other European countries. You can't like the housing crisis. You can't like our godawful national anthem. You can't like the sun setting at four in the afternoon. You can't like the UK.

Still better than most other countries, somehow...

After eight 'You can't like's, I'm almost persuaded, @Roger the Horse. But what about the things you like?
When I start thinking of things not to like (where I'm living right now) I run out faster than when I'm thinking of things I do like.

@MoLiEG - the Day of the Dead seems to coincide with other culture's 'Day of the Dead' sandwiched for instance between 'Halloween' and 'All Soul's Day. The dead are also revered in many, many cultures - crikey - from the Egyptians to the Chinese, the dead have a special place in life.

Back