Do you think GT7 will ever be the game we want it to be?

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 130 comments

Will Gt7 ever be the game we want it to be?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I personally don't think it ever will live up to the name. It is arguably the worst installment in the series. It's definitely the lowest rated. But even with updates I don't think it will ever get much better. Not unless Sony suddenly becomes more pro consumer again.

I know we are waiting for Sophy AI which seems promising but the AI isn't even the worst part of the game. Even if the AI was perfect that doesn't make up for the lack of any new content that we already played in the previous game. Just because it's a newer version of the game we have already used those tracks and cars.

Each update we get 1 new menu book? If that's how long it takes to get a new menu book I can't see us actually getting any new real content. For starters an actual race campaign like previous games would be nice. We haven't even had any new championships which was the best thing this game actually has.

We been waiting on the option to sell cars since the games released. This was in the previous game and it's built in the same engine so I can't see it being hard to add back.

They have basically killed the PP system rather then fixing it. I had little faith in this company left but after that it's all gone. If they can't even be bothered to fix their own game do you really think they care about the product anymore? Enough to make this game live up to the Grab Turismo brand? Personally I always hated the PP system but still I would rather then fix it because it's part of the game then just stick a cheap bit if tape over it. Gearing is 1 of the main things of how a car drives. Having that not edit PP is just stupid.

No new missions since release? Unless you count endurance races which shouldn't have been missions in the 1st place.

No new drift content which was promised? We were told this game was gonna have loads of stuff content to chew on. We got a couple 10 second missions in rubbish cars? Fun...

Overall to summarise why I don't think this game will ever become a worthy GT game is because they simply don't care. Every single update has just been drip feeding small things into the game. So small it barely makes a difference to the overall game. Each update contains a couple cars because they got them stock piled, a couple events because it's so hard selecting a track and a number of laps and maybe a few minor tweaks. These things aren't what the game suffers with so you can add as many of those as you want but it will still have the same lack of content.

Sony have become to understand that Gt7 will always have a bad name so I don't think they wanna invest to much into it anymore. But instead make as much money from it from doing as little as possible. They know if they spend a ton of money on it that will still bring back the same return as if they spend less.

I don't think it will unfortunately, and I have no idea why. Everything is right there for it to be the best in the series and one of the best racing games of all time.

The cars are mint.
The tracks are gorgeous.
The physics are great fun.
The sounds are amazing (who would have though this would be a thing after GT1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6?).
The upgrade/tuning shop is great fun to use.

Then everything that combines all of these things for use, the career mode, is an absolute laughing stock. The worst, most restrictive, linear, and short career in a GT game to date.

This game could and really should be THE game for the PS5. The system seller. The game that every other racing game strives to be. The love letter to the virtual automotive world.

It's not any of those things, yet it has all of the tools in the toolbox to build it into being them.

So annoying.

No. Absolutely not. Not even close.

But not for what reasons you may be thinking.
The reason it will never be the game 'we' want it to be is because 'we' is a useless word for this game. There are too many 'we's who want vastly different things in game. And to try and add everything will turn it into a vast unwieldy game.

Or to focus on 1 or 2 specific areas will anger other people. Online focused people get fed up with more focus on single player content. People wanting more single player content get annoyed when time and people are devoted to online competitions and lobby functionality and stability issues.

Everyone wants different cars for different reasons, same with the tracks. Ask 10 people what tracks the game should add next and you'll probably get 8 different choices for the 'absolute must have' next option.

I think they are doing well so far after a decidedly rocky start, but there is so much more that they could do. I find making my own races, the Time Trials and various dailies, leagues and lobbies give me so much to do with so much variety I'm finding it a blast when I want to get on. I do sympathize with the PP system being broken though, that does screw up tuners and people that try to run tuned series.

But overall I think the community is so varied with what they want that it's impossible for PD yo create the game that makes everyone happy. So like @05XR8 posted before, we get the results of what Kaz wanted out of a game and hope we have enough fun with it.

I don't think it will unfortunately, and I have no idea why. Everything is right there for it to be the best in the series and one of the best racing games of all time.

The cars are mint.
The tracks are gorgeous.
The physics are great fun.
The sounds are amazing (who would have though this would be a thing after GT1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6?).
The upgrade/tuning shop is great fun to use.

Then everything that combines all of these things for use, the career mode, is an absolute laughing stock. The worst, most restrictive, linear, and short career in a GT game to date.

This game could and really should be THE game for the PS5. The system seller. The game that every other racing game strives to be. The love letter to the virtual automotive world.

It's not any of those things, yet it has all of the tools in the toolbox to build it into being them.

So annoying.
The career mode is virtually non existent and you would think by now they would have expanded upon it. So far you got a few menu books added. So 9 races have been added to the career since release. We should get that every update.
I just wanna know what direction they are taking this game in because at the moment it's like they aren't even expanding upon it but just keeping it more or less the exact same.

No. Absolutely not. Not even close.

But not for what reasons you may be thinking.
The reason it will never be the game 'we' want it to be is because 'we' is a useless word for this game. There are too many 'we's who want vastly different things in game. And to try and add everything will turn it into a vast unwieldy game.

Or to focus on 1 or 2 specific areas will anger other people. Online focused people get fed up with more focus on single player content. People wanting more single player content get annoyed when time and people are devoted to online competitions and lobby functionality and stability issues.

Everyone wants different cars for different reasons, same with the tracks. Ask 10 people what tracks the game should add next and you'll probably get 8 different choices for the 'absolute must have' next option.

I think they are doing well so far after a decidedly rocky start, but there is so much more that they could do. I find making my own races, the Time Trials and various dailies, leagues and lobbies give me so much to do with so much variety I'm finding it a blast when I want to get on. I do sympathize with the PP system being broken though, that does screw up tuners and people that try to run tuned series.

But overall I think the community is so varied with what they want that it's impossible for PD yo create the game that makes everyone happy. So like @05XR8 posted before, we get the results of what Kaz wanted out of a game and hope we have enough fun with it.
I somewhat agree but at the same time I think they could do allot more. The online is mostly fine how it is. They could increase race rewards as online should be a viable way to earn credits.

Being honest I do prefer racing online as offline just feels so fake. But at the end of the day we can all agree the career mode in this game is hot trash. Menu books feel like a tutorial or intro. There needs to be something more like what we had in previous games. I would take GT sports single player over GT7s menu books any day of the week. If they added that then had world series as just a random selection of races to do on the side then that would be awesome.

Then if they added something like Forza rivals where you race against leaderboards into the trial options. Drift trials and time trials then that would be hours of fun for people right there. Just things like that could really expand upon Gt7 but instead we get drip fed a couple cars and races each month and it's not really giving people much to do. This game needs a huge update but Sony know that it's really the only real sim racer on console other then acc. But acc doesn't have the money to add loads of cars.

Maybe.

So far 2 things that bug me with gt7

1. the always starting last thing its not fun for someone with anxiety i always end up rushing and scare that i may not get to podium in time and its not fun to feel like this when your playing a game that's suppose to bring fun.

2. The you need to have a invite to buy this car i kinda feel like im never gonna get a invite :rolleyes: to buy the ffx-k and that's pretty :redflag: for a game i paid 76$ for.

I just started with the game so i cant really comment any further as i still have alot to completed.

Last edited:
I’m pretty happy with the game. Sure, it would be nice with more high-paying races, but so far I haven’t gotten tired of La Sarthe and I still find Tokyo quite challenging so I haven’t gotten bored with the grind yet.

As for more cars, sure, would be nice. But I’ve got a huge backlog of cars I’m planning to drive one day and haven’t had time for yet, so I don’t mind that each update is limited to 3-4 cars.

The custom race feature is awesome. If there was a way to share your events with other players this would be a total game changer. Sure, the rewards are not that great, but I don’t play the game to get rewards so it’s fine by me.

Selling cars would be nice, there’s a few cars in my garage that I don’t care for much. But it’s not a game-breaker.

Given up on this series again, after GT5, GT6, now GT7. The only trend to break is Kaz stepping down and letting young blood take the reigns and bring this game back to its glory days.

Luckily we have other games where the devs LISTEN to the fans and make changes. Can't wait for Forza Motorsports 8.

Last edited:
There's no way we can know; we can only guess of course.

I look at it somewhat-positively 'though:
1) Kaz has said it's a long-term project.
2) PD has proved many times that it can deliver the goods.

The grey area for me revolves around the company's ability to innovate as well as appease our collective, almost-universal thirst for nostalgia along with enhancements we expect as a result of feedback as to successes and failures.

Call me old-fashioned, but I'd like to think there's plenty of meat yet to be added to these good bones.

Yes as all I really from PD is:

Proper endurance races that aren't special events/1 time payouts
Car selling
Much higher payouts for custom races
Custom race championship creator
Races for the gr.2 class and more cars for said class or atleast capped to 850PP for the events.

I believe at some point all of the above will be added but knowing PD it may be 1-2 years from now unless they are working on a major Spec II update as that is the only thing that I think will change the general consensus of GT7.

No.

This game won’t turn into the game I thought it was going to be.

I thought it would live up to it’s pre-release advertising but every update suggests that it won’t.

It’s going to be this same horrible game forever. Forever being SO close to being a great game but never having PD make it so.

It’s sad really.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

Then if they added something like Forza rivals where you race against leaderboards into the trial options. Drift trials and time trials then that would be hours of fun for people right there. Just things like that could really expand upon Gt7 but instead we get drip fed a couple cars and races each month and it's not really giving people much to do. This game needs a huge update but Sony know that it's really the only real sim racer on console other then acc. But acc doesn't have the money to add loads of cars.
See, that's exactly what Rednekchef pointed out in his posting before , there are too many people with too many ideas what the game should be like...
If they put time and energy in this drift/time trial-leaderboards as you mention above I would heavily dissapointed because in my opinion that would be a total waste of time, energy and ressources in , especially when it comes to drifting...for me personally everything that has to do with drifting is just plain stupid, and if drifting would disappear completly from GT I wouldn't miss is for a second...on the other hand, I understand, that there are people who like it, and would like to see more of that...

On the other hand, I would like to see much more options and possibilties for custom races, my favorute thing to do in this game(and higher payouts!!!), but I know, that there are people out there, who don't really care about coustom races...

Or take the dailies...some people are quite happy with them beeing weeklies(because so you can adapt and improve), other people would like them to change every day...

Same goes with cars(some poeple like all the newest cars, others couldn't care less about new cars and just want classics and vintage cars, some people like race cars, others would like to see more "normal" road cars) and tracks...

The potential player base is too big in 2022 to make this game perfect for everybody, so what we got, is a game that tries to serve everybody a little bit, but doesn't really satisfy most of us..

Last edited:
I think it will become something great, Sony will be much more aware of the backlash and disdain than PD will be, and will be applying pressure to repair the damage done to the franchise reputation. This series is a Sony staple, and currently it is not a reason to buy a PS5 when Sony really need it to be. Particularly with the impending onslaught of new Forza Motorsport content and marketing we will be getting in the run up to that games launch, and with it's first look and trailer having already fired some painful shots at Gran Turismo, it is up to Sony to work with PD to limit the damage and actively rebuild faith, trust, and more importantly, the game, to ensure that it gives buyers a problem when it comes to purchasing Forza over Gran Turismo.

For the record, i have had my money's worth and then some and i absolutely like the game and would never go as low as review bomb the game, i leave that to lesser people with anger issues.

BUT, the wasted potential is so big that it's almost turning into a tragedy, real custom races with SO much potential let down by piss poor implementation and even worse rewards in a game where the central object, cars, are stupid expensive unless you do the same stuff over and over again. And NOTHING to do with all those sweet cars when you finally get them.

And a wheel of misfortune that resemblance actual trolling.

Add to this the huge issues with lobbies and online races and we have a wholehearted meant game with a half hearted implementation that, dare i say it, already feels like it is left to die in a ditch.

Thank god for Sport mode..

For the record, i have had my money's worth and then some and i absolutely like the game and would never go as low as review bomb the game, i leave that to lesser people with anger issues.

BUT, the wasted potential is so big that it's almost turning into a tragedy, real custom races with SO much potential let down by piss poor implementation and even worse rewards in a game where the central object, cars, are stupid expensive unless you do the same stuff over and over again. And NOTHING to do with all those sweet cars when you finally get them.

And a wheel of misfortune that resemblance actual trolling.

Add to this the huge issues with lobbies and online races and we have a wholehearted meant game with a half hearted implementation that, dare i say it, already feels like it is left to die in a ditch.

Thank god for Sport mode..
You've nailed it I think. The game is good but fundamentally flawed, like you I have had my moneys worth, 250 hours and counting, I've spent more on games that have barely made double figures. But there is so so much wasted potential and that is the bit that hurts the most. I'm optimistic it will realise it eventually.

If I had to rate GT7 I'd give it a 6.5/10, it's not a terrible game, but it's not great either, it's very firmly in the average area. It does individual things very well, but it doesn't bring everything together well at all.

Everyone will have their own idea of what they want GT7 to be, some people are soley focused on the online portion being more stable, better matchmaking etc. I'm very much focused on the single player aspect of the game. Then you have PD who seem to be focused on far too many ideas regardless of if they work and without fully fleshing them out, which to be fair they've been like at least since GT5.

I do not think GT7 will reach the potential it has, which is very high IMO, which makes it all the more dissapointing.

To make GT7 the best it could be for me, they would have to tear up the single player experience for the most part, rebalance the entire game, remove the UCD and LCD being tied to real days and set them to adjust to ingame days like past titles, giving the players control over how fast the cars cycle instead of waiting 2 or 3 months for a car you want.

I would change all of the races to rolling or standing grid starts, give the player the ability to set the race difficulty from 1-5 instead of 1-3 and this would affect all races. Have the damage and penalties togglable so the player can turn them on or off rather than having them set on/off for different events.

The missions I would leave as they are.

I would add a significant number of new events with more variety, reduce the costs of the cars rather than increase earnings (though I would increase custom race earning to bring them in line with other races) and replace the invitations with manufacturer relationship goals, i.e. once you own 5 Ferrari's you get invited to buy the Enzo, that invitation remains open for the rest of the game without timing out.

Being able to sell cars, even if it's the only one you own or was a prize car.

That would make the game much better for me, but then there are those who would prefer alternative ideas. You can't please everyone, but I think currently it pleases fewer people that it should due to being a master of nothing.

Last edited:
The single-player career is a write-off at this point, short of adding a massive, traditional GT League, there's no sign of it being anything but an extended Cafe tutorial, and then the Circuit Experience/Grind Forever Endgame (and The Human Comedy if you desire pain).

Potentially, the endgame could be more than 'The Four Events' from April. The May, June, July, August, September and October updates have not added anything to that endgame, but there's always next month.

For those who just want to log in for a bit and have fun while earning money, simple additions of paid Drift Trials, Shuffle Racing and a large multiplier to Sport payouts could make many players happy, if implemented.

For Time Triallers/Hotlappers, the game we want is pretty close, it just needs custom time and weather, though a Data Logger and leaderboard system would be tops.

What I expect though is that PD are having difficulty changing anything without breaking something else in this enormous, cross-gen project. Even adding one championship seems too much of a hurdle, whether for testing reasons or lack of motivation.

If I think like a marketing bigwig, adding more events isn't worth it, because the enthusiasts who will play them are a very small group, outnumbered by the people who bought it at launch and played it less than 10 times. A few more cars and a track to show off before Christmas might boost sales a bit.

So, do I think GT7 will ever be the game I want it to be?
No.
I think GT7 will be the good Time Trial game it is now, improving bit by bit while flying in a holding pattern until GT8 lands.

repair the damage done to the franchise reputation.
I really don't think they took that much of a hit. Gotta remember that even across the wider internet, the backlash was pretty small and short-term. There are still the casual millions out there who have no idea of anything that went on.

GT games, unless they're terribly timed like GT6, seem destined to sell circa 10 million copies no matter what solely based on brand recognition and their place in the market being the only game of its kind on Playstation. Until some genuine direct competition arrives on the PS platform, I don't see that changing. If you want a semi-serious car racing game with hundreds of real world cars on Playstation, you buy Gran Turismo. It's a name practically synonymous with Playstation at this point. There is literally no other option.

I'm sure Sony and PD know that as well.

Who’s “we”? I think this is a very loaded question. I find it unlikely that we’re all gonna want the same thing when it comes to Gran Turismo.

My personal desire? I want PD to have their own design goals and execute them as absolutely best they can. However, I think GT7 had struggled in realizing whatever PD’s vision might’ve been, due to other factors like making it cross-gen, and Covid-19 causing supply chain issues among other things. Keep in mind that GT7 was delayed at least once, and there were many changes from pre-release footage, like the kei car menu being changed to a post-launch Bonus Menu featuring the return of the Lightweight K Cup.

That said, I think that if the music was better - and there very well may be a music-themed update, for as little as we know - then GT7 could easily be better than GT3, which had a single 328Ci representing all of BMW. Not even an M3!

Last edited:
There will never be a game that pleases everyone, so to answer the thread's title, no.

Will it ever be the game I want it to be either? I'd also say probably not.

The whole structure goes against what I want. They're not going to redo the entire singleplayer portion of the game to make it better to me.

Now it's just a game for the occasional custom race when I want to look at incredibly detailed cars.

I will go with the minority and say yes. The truth is, we don't know what's going on at Polyphony with staffing or finances. The big things that they want to add might cost too much resources and labor. Plus, Sony may have the final saying on what goes into the updates.

I'm still holding on hope. It may not be what everyone else wants, but I still find the good, whether it's Custom Races or car builds and liveries. Things take time to perfect. I'd say sometime next Spring, it's going to get better.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back