Do you think GT7 will ever be the game we want it to be?

• Thread starter CnPx
  • 130 comments

Will Gt7 ever be the game we want it to be?

• Total voters
It’ll never be the game “we” want it to be because the perfect GT to some will be completely unacceptable to others
The extremes aren't necessary this time around, as GT7 isn't even the game PD said it would be before launch.

GT7 is not a "return to form", it's a sequel to GT Sport with some nostalgia sprinkled on top. So of course it's not the game a good deal of us wanted — It's not even the game they said it would be.

This is the first gt title I bought that was fun. Gt5 had a decent career mode but the driving was so dull. Gt 6 a bit better on the driving part but still boredom quickly and the economy prevented me from trying more cars.

Gt 7 has great driving though. The crazy economy is what hinders it but that has always been the case with gt it seems. I dont understand why they punish their customers like they do in this regard.

This is the first gt title I bought that was fun. Gt5 had a decent career mode but the driving was so dull. Gt 6 a bit better on the driving part but still boredom quickly and the economy prevented me from trying more cars.

Gt 7 has great driving though. The crazy economy is what hinders it but that has always been the case with gt it seems. I dont understand why they punish their customers like they do in this regard.
The sad truth is the economy only became ridiculously grindy from GT5 onwards. It was far less of a chore saving up for cars in GT2-3, GT1 was fairly grindy (though not on the same level as GT5 onwards) by virtue of it being the first game and having the fewest events so repetition was more evident.

Last edited:
GT7 is not a "return to form", it's a sequel to GT Sport with some nostalgia sprinkled on top.
I disagree entirely. GT5, GT6 and GT Sport left me wanting more and I got fed up with them in their own way. GT5 had standard cars and a horrible leveling system that locked cars away, along with crap sounds. GT6 did away with the leveling system but the sounds didn't improve, the physics weren't a lot better, standard cars stayed and the career mode was too short. GT Sport didn't even have a career mode at launch, and the one they put in didn't make things any better. You couldn't buy tuning parts, you couldn't modify the exterior unless you made a livery. The economy also sucked. GT7 has the best physics, the best sounds, the best graphics, car customisation, car tuning, livery editor, a decent track list and what I believe is a good enough smattering of events compared to the likes of GT6. It ticks a lot of boxes for me and that's why I see it as a return to form.

I disagree entirely. GT5, GT6 and GT Sport left me wanting more and I got fed up with them in their own way. GT5 had standard cars and a horrible leveling system that locked cars away, along with crap sounds. GT6 did away with the leveling system but the sounds didn't improve, the physics weren't a lot better, standard cars stayed and the career mode was too short. GT Sport didn't even have a career mode at launch, and the one they put in didn't make things any better. You couldn't buy tuning parts, you couldn't modify the exterior unless you made a livery. The economy also sucked. GT7 has the best physics, the best sounds, the best graphics, car customisation, car tuning, livery editor, a decent track list and what I believe is a good enough smattering of events compared to the likes of GT6. It ticks a lot of boxes for me and that's why I see it as a return to form.
Although you say GT6's career was too short, it actually had more races than GT7 has. Although I do agree, for the sheer volume of cars GT6 had, there were far too few events in the career. But I levy the same criticism against GT7 too.

If you compare GT to other contemporary games, say your average open world title, you should be able to 'buy' everything available by simply completeing the game. In a OW game that would mean doing all the main quests plus a majority of the side missions. There's little grinding needed. In GranTurismo it should be golding/winning all the licence tests and career mode races etc. They add more cars via DLC, they should add new races that allow you to at least earn close to the amount the new cars cost.

Now, with open world games you generally have little reason to continue playing once you completed all the missions/quests, unless you venture into an online section of it (if one is available) otherwise, you'll probably move onto some other game. PD obviously want to extend the time people continue to play GT so they do this by essentially locking content behind a grind-wall. This is fair enough, and worked well with earlier titles, but with GTS, and by the sounds of things, GT7, i think they've made the long grind just too much for most players to feel like they can put a reasonable amount of time and effort into the game to unlock the content (in this case cars) they feel they deserve from what they've paid for the game.

Putting more races in with decent payouts would be a way round this and the long-grind would still be there for the credits required for tuning items.

Last edited:
I think it's actually pretty cool.
The physics are great, graphics are stunning and the sound is by far the best in the series.
The tuning options are also fantastic, so are the swap options.

But right now, I think the game lacks:
  • A clear UI for career mode
  • A real endgame in solo (Endurance League, GT500/SuperGT/Gr2 Championship, "Like the Wind")
  • Some historical modes like we had with Goodwood, the Senna update or even the Vettel or Loeb missions

Let's hope that PD has some Spec 2.0 to adress that.

Although you say GT6's career was too short, it actually had more races than GT7 has. Although I do agree, for the sheer volume of cars GT6 had, there were far too few events in the career. But I levy the same criticism against GT7 too.
The primary issue with GT6's career is the catch-up format and AI that doesn't want to win in every single one, which is again something that carries over to GT7.

I choose maybe

Spend lot's of hours in this game and loved it in the beginning. The game had some decent promising content for me like the return of GT Auto made me crazy.

But now last couple of weeks i haven't barely touched this game because i got bored with the lack of new content so i went back to GRID LEGENDS, F1 22 and played alot of Dakar Desert rally recently

I still have some little faith in this game but come on PD! Is it so hard for them to add some useful content? 😑

The primary issue with GT6's career is the catch-up format and AI that doesn't want to win in every single one, which is again something that carries over to GT7.
Technically GT4 also had this race format, though with only 6 cars on the grid you weren't that spread out at the start so it didn't feel quite the same. But yes, GT6 used it in nearly all of it's events, which was a shame, and once you are starting in single file with a few meters between each car and starting in 16th, it makes a huge difference to how the race feels.

Which, why not have qualifying, when they could program AI to boost on and off anyway? I mean, PD have qualifying in Sport Mode and World Tours, but single players can’t experience that.

No, it won't even come close. They clearly stopped caring.
Also, career mode, even if it came, would be useless now. I have ~300 cars not counting duplicates. Where would the fun be? I have all the cars I need for whatever career they might throw at us, and that makes it no fun.
exactly. even the "collector rating", which is supposed to be what the game is about, maxes out pretty quickly. i'd think this would be updated by now because it incentivizes spending.... but nope.

i think the game is exactly what they want it to be. the little Daily Race thing was a good reminder of that... they clearly watch close enough to make that correction, yet there is no BOP adjustment despite the same cars dominating since the game was released. i have to think they're happy enough with the FOMO Hagerty cars being the top choices for ranked races - i realize you can rent cars now, but clearly they would've been content never to offer that option at all. i think they took their ball and went home after they were forced to offer races that paid over 68k credits.

Last edited:
Agree on everything accept the content/events in this game. I'd take the career modes from ANY GT other than this one, including Sport.

I can live with the outdated car list (still blows my mind we don't have the base C8, let alone the Z06/7 and C8 Z06 R when the switch from front to mid-ship was one of the biggest revolutions in the sports car world in decades, but I digress...), I can put up with the soulless, boring BoP when I race online or the PP system changing every update, but the lack of meaningful, challenging career/offline events that pay well enough to cover the cost of tuning the car you enter said event is just too much (or too little, to be precise). It has killed the game for me.

For the last 3-4 months I've taken 4-week breaks, come back for the 2hr worth of "update" and then don't open the game again for another month. Might not even have come back this month had I not happened to see a video on YT about the new Z car, which reminded me this game still exists and that the new Z is one of the very few cars from the last 8 years included in the car list.
Chances are I won't even be interested enough to log in for Nov's update now that I've re-burned myself out running Sarthe for a couple hours today, lol. I didn't have this problem in the other mainline GT's; they were played for years, and I still routinely play them to this day as the faults with those titles aren't deal-breakers, at least for me.

Only reason I put as much time into GT7 as I have was the pipe-dream that they might bring enough content to the game to make it great one day, 95% of that time was spent grinding Sarthe/Tokyo/Sardegna or running scripts to get my credits up. IE not time spent enjoying the things the game does well, and that's a shame as there are so many things this game does better than all of the past titles, but without content to continually draw me back in it's all meaningless.

It might've had more events but they weren't very long. The total time needed to complete all the events in GT6 is less than GT7.
How does this not also apply to the Cafe mode of GT7?
I'm not particularly bothered by it.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this a bit. I think Kaz sees this more as a virtual museum and pretty replay creator. The replays had a lot of attention in development. Music replay, the good camera angles, the graphics. The races are set up in such a way where you are usually near enough to an AI car that you have just passed or will soon pass a car, so there's less "dull" moments in the replay. You are forced into a replay at the end of every race.

This is not what I want or care about. The graphics are nice, sure, but I don't care to watch my replays. The car models are incredible and all, but I'm more interested in racing them. Kaz is not interested in racing (in this game) outside of Sport mode. That's why the singleplayer mode has very little resembling actual racing. If we're continuing to extract random meaning out of the Human Comedy missions as some did after they released, we can point out that the "comedy" is that these are often considered the best races in the game, while the game actively discourages doing them more than once. We don't even get new races in every content update despite how simple they should be to make and how few there are already. When we do get them, it's generally about four of them. If they wanted a racing game, they'd include more races.

I wanted a racing game. I got a grindy car collecting game. Close, but not quite what I was hoping for. And considering the game is about what Kaz wants more than anything, I don't believe I will ever get that racing game out of GT7.

No. It could have been, but after watching how they're progressing it after six months it's pretty clear that it's unlikely to change substantially from what it is now. And what it is now is all the elements of a really good game but put together in a way that is just average at best.

It's nice when they improve graphics and physics and stuff, but I maintain that's not what Gran Turismo needs. It needs to find a way to make using those cars and tracks compelling that isn't chase the rabbit or throwing them in a sandbox and telling players to make their own fun.

Just to think about it:
GT4 had the option to do a Qualifying in Championship races. And even when you started upfront the AI gave you a very good race.

Also GT4s Arcade mode was by far the best. You could choose any car in any color for any track. (and also your Garage cars) you were able to change the strenght/cars on the grid and I had a fun fast race.

GT7 Arcade mode is a joke..

Last edited:
Nah, unfortunately. American tracks mostly for American built cars, same for European and Asia Pacific. PP system also limiting which cars are eligible for which races. Cars with too high PP so they can't be used anywhere (unless by reducing power output to lower the PP)

Woeful number of catagories and championships to compete in. Certain car parts locked off unless won on a roulette system, certain cars timelocked, butchering of the Brand Central to only have cars dating back a few years instead of every model available, I don't even think the music is as good. It just doesn't feel very GT to me, and I am playing it every week.

I'd like to hope that GT7 is a 'lesson learned' for Kaz and PD but I have this gnawing feeling in my gut that GT8 will expand the problems and issues, not fix them.

Usually, if a big-budget game fails early on, it's unlikely to recover. GT7 has already been widely criticized, 8 months have passed and it has only been slightly improved.......the train has already passed.

Long term project ? Project failed! Today a game has to "break through" already on day one, otherwise it's over.

Last edited:
It might've had more events but they weren't very long. The total time needed to complete all the events in GT6 is less than GT7.
I can't see how that is possible, except possibly because of the padding the eight one hour races added.
I'm not particularly bothered by it.
Huh? You're not bothered by the flaws of GT7 even though they're the same as the thing you critique GT6 and GTS for?

Today a game has to "break through" already on day one, otherwise it's over.
That's not entirely true, there are plenty of examples of games that have had rocky launches and gone on to address a lot of their issues and become very good games.

However, in every case I can think of the developers very quickly addressed the fact that the game wasn't in a good state at launch and committed to fixes and additions to amend the problems. Sometimes it takes time to fix things, but you can usually start to see changes in the first few months.

The publisher or developer can also decide to pull the plug on a game that doesn't immediately perform. That's an option and a fairly common one. But it's not guaranteed. It's unusual for a developer like Polyphony who has basically only one game to their name - if the general public starts thinking that they're unreliable developers they're mostly ****ed.

Voted yes, the only real shred of optimism I truly have remaining though is that things have been so lacking recently is because they're working on fully redesigning a third or more of the game. It isn't much to hold onto, but it's something I guess.

Voted yes, the only real shred of optimism I truly have remaining though is that things have been so lacking recently is because they're working on fully redesigning a third or more of the game. It isn't much to hold onto, but it's something I guess.
That's exactly what I expected them to do for GT5 and GT6. And sadly, it did not happen.

IMO, PD stopped caring about making good GT games the moment GT4 came out, 17 freaking years ago. Ever since, the pattern has stayed the same:
  1. Tease us with how good the game looks.
  2. Ignore the fanbase.
  3. Making Offline/A-Spec/career mode much more smaller and unrewarding every single game.
  4. Work on things/features no one asked for, only to throw them to the trash can the very next game to make room to mooore new stuff no one asked for.
  5. Lie about how often they would offer significant updates/upgrades to the games.
So no, I don't see them changing their modus operandi anytime soon. The king has been dead for almost 20 years I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Back