Do you think that GT is losing the battle against Forza?

What do you think of GT now?

• Still the best there is!!!

Votes: 309 61.6%
  • Screw GT! I'll play Forza now!

Votes: 36 7.2%
  • It's going to be a nice battle.

Votes: 136 27.1%
  • I'm still playing Pole Position

Votes: 21 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So much for having a nice discussion. :rolleyes:

What? You were right, Forza is way more realistic than GT because you can do donuts and drift when you hit the hand brake. Now that I think about it if Forza is closer to the real thing my 83 Comaro should be an easier car to drive than a S15 Spec B Aero........

lol.

What you were right, Forza is way more realistic than GT because you can do donuts and drift when you hit the hand brake......

LOL.
I'm still not exactly sure if this is sarcasm or not, since I really don't think Forza is more realistic than gt4, I just think they got the low to medium speed grip and the initial "tire loss of grip" part better.

Forza 2 though, IMO, is much better than GT4.

EDIT: Eh, whatever, I've stated my opinion. I'm out.

Forza 2 though, IMO, is much better than GT4.

I would hope so.
I mean, I bought an Xbox just for Forza and played it a ton... Found good and bad and in the end found GT4 to be the better game. However, all that time later and with plenty of opinions and research to guide them, if Turn10 couldn't make Forza 2 a better game then I'd have to say there were bigger problems than the game itself.

Well Forza 2 gets kinda boring because of the lack of tracks and cars. I can see how some can say its better because of the online play. Even on the online play it tends to get boring for me because people only drive certain classes and you end up building cars to suite the "in class" rather than a wide range. Ive been as high as rank 11 on the leader boards on Nuburgring for lap times in a Cooper S D class and found myself all the way down 50ish after oneday so its very competitive. Some of the bad drivers have made want to get rid of the game on occasions. But if you love GT, Forza is just simply not good enough when it comes to the single player. You do have the body kits and graphics to consider, but most of the kits I kinda found to be, well "ricey" looking but funtional but also add more weight. The ones that were sweet were really really sweet though if you get my meaning.

For me, Forza 2 isn't lacking cars at all. Definitely lacking tracks, but not cars.

Anyway, I loved GT2 and GT3, but FM2 has made me forget about going back to the GT series entirely (though the complete lack of a desire to buy a PS3 may also have something to do with it). The physics are better than any GT thus far (except perhaps GT5P, which I have not played), the paint shop is a powerful tool, online play is obviously a plus, and the drivetrain swaps keep things interesting.

Well im stating my opinion directed entirely towards Kent. I havent entirely turned away from either series but I havent played Forza 2 seriously in about a month. In fact recently ive been playing GT3, kinda restarting my legacy through 3 and 4.

I didnt complete Forza 1 or 2 because of the repetition. I think im more of a real life enthusiast than most but those cars get kinda generic after awhile. You can pretty much avoid driving the same tracks over and over again in each series by buying the cars you want from the auction and racing online for cash. Theres a fare number of vehicles but only some can actually be useful.It gets even more generic because majority of the cars seen online are of Japanese descent (doesnt mean there the best) but I guess people find them more useful. For some reason no matter how much I tune there were some cars that were just prone to oversteer. A funny thing about this is that I have a couple buddys that say in GT4 theres too much understeer. Of course there the NFS type and try to drive in third person majority of the time, breaking in the corner, not before they get to it etc. lol.

But GT4 still has the greatest vehicle selection up to this date. I think theres just no comparison. Kazunori Yamauchi is a pure enthusiast so he doesnt only put popular JDM, ADM, and EDM cars in his game. He puts in cars (like the Alpine 110 1600S for ex.) that only other true enthusiast (like me) may have knowledge of but never would think it would be in a modern racing game, and does this to educate others. Im sorry but this is a huge shoe for Turn 10 to fill. I mean come on they cant even get the photo-realistic part straight. Once he said he wanted a game were people in the future would go back and look-up cars in GT as if it were a automotive encyclopedia. See its much deeper than anything else out there. He doesnt follow any trends and sets the land marks. This is why the GT serious is the best there is and has sales to show it, also has world wide recognition, and is sponsorer to several racing teams across the world. Thank you Mr. Yamauchi:sly: and on that note I gotta work in the morning so this will be my closure.

PS: If for Forza so much why not visit and spend some time on Forzacentral, you dont have to be here with us GT fans. Very cool site that is tho.

Now, now, children... ;)
I don't want to see any member leave the GTP.
However, just as much, I'd like to see people be positive about things and not negative. That is to say... Instead of hanging around a GT forum and knocking GT, why don't you go to the Forza forum and say good things about Forza over there.

In any case, Wolfe's comments are no surprise, he's been the most vocal anti-GT guy on the GTP for a long time.
It's almost like seeing democrats talk about Bush... Very predictable and always one sided (while most will talk good and bad about both games, I've found that anti-GT people on the GTP are usually the most difficult in discussion because they will not give one inch- they simply must prove their is nothing good about GT). (ps, that's not about any one individual as much as it is about a group of people... and they know who they are :lol: )

I've seen Forza 2 a couple of times in some stores and to me it looks very much like the old Le Mans 24 game from Dreamcast, physics are different though, but the graphics are so so, I was not impressed at all. Besides Forza 2 doesn't have the lighting level of GT5 which makes her look dark, even more old generation than it already looks. The cars are not so sharply drawn and detail galore like we've seen in GT5. The physics are soft like, simplistic too, I can't describe it well, just not the GT league that's for sure, and by far imo.
I had played Gran Turismo all my life and I know its character well by now. All Gran Turismo games had different(updated) physics with GT4 being the most realistic, I haven't played GT5 yet, but GT4 was quite a progress. :)

P.S. Forza looking like Le Mans 24 I meant not directly, so please don't misunderstand me. What I was talking about was the graphics signature, the overall look and character, if you know what I mean. I had a strong nostalgia feeling when I first encountered Forza 2 on that TV screen.

I take it you have never played Forza since you are making statements like that.

Forza has it's own merits and it's own failings just like Gran Turismo does. Neither are bad games, but neither will win everyone.

Forza has it's own merits and it's own failings just like Gran Turismo does. Neither are bad games, but neither will win everyone.

Exactly. Gran Turismo may no win everyone but it sure seems like Gtplanet has since there seems to be a considerable anount of Forza fans on a GT fan site.

Exactly. Gran Turismo may no win everyone but it sure seems like Gtplanet has since there seems to be a considerable anount of Forza fans on a GT fan site.

:lol:
Good point, where GT might not draw in everyone the GTP manages to draw them all (and keep them longer than most of the games).
That said, I remember buying an Xbox when they were giving out copies of Forza. :lol:
I wish now that they would have given out copies of Ninja Gaiden or DOA instead of Forza (Halo would have been nice as well but I can't expect them to give away their best game).

The first Forza was kind of good at first but it lost me long before I completed all the races. Forza 2 was imo a much better game and I've been playing that on and off for a year or so now, it just lacks a good enough selection of tracks imo.

I didn't enjoy GT4 nearly as much as I'd have liked and that led to what could and perhaps at times did sound like I was making GT bashing comments and being a Forza fanboy. That fact doesn't make me anti GT though, it just meant that I didn't particularly like GT4 as much as I liked others in the series and Forza 2. I still love the GT series, I loved GT's 1-3 and I respect GT4 for what it offers but I just didn't enjoy driving the cars in it nearly as much as I enjoyed GT3 and I've stated the reasons why many times.

I've really enjoyed GT5:P so far and look forward to the English version. I think some of the people on here who have been longer term members sometimes get called anti-GT or Forza fanboys unfairly (not all perhaps, but some). I remember a conversation I had with Wolfe once, he didn't like Forza 1 but he liked GT3 and had high hopes for GT4, like me. But also like me he didn't enjoy GT4 as much as he should and he said as much. He is one of the more vocal members who has a lot to say against GT4 but at the same time it is important to remember that it was Gran Turismo that brought him to this site and that he did enjoy GT3 and given the chance he may well enjoy GT5 more than anything else. He isn't a Gran Turismo hater, he just didn't enjoy GT4 and perhaps that's put him against the wall when it comes to preconceptions about what GT5 will be like but of the GT' he's played it is only GT4 he's spoken about in such a negative light. I didn't enjoy GT4 that much, but I love the Gran Turismo series.

There seem to be a considerable amount of console race sim fans here, which is appropriate since one can be a fan of the genre and not have to like only one game. Turn 10 did a lot of good things with Forza 2, and some of those would be very welcome to the GT series in the opinion of many console racers and GTplanet members alike.

I myself played a ton of Forza 2 but have stated my opinion that I think the base physics model of GT5P feels better (especially in "professional" mode). That's why I and others hope the full GT5 builds in and improves on a lot of what makes Forza 2 a very good console race sim. Just because it's not GT doesn't mean it's A) irrelevant or B) a crappy game.

My 2 cents, I suppose. :)

There seem to be a considerable amount of console race sim fans here, which is appropriate since one can be a fan of the genre and not have to like only one game. Turn 10 did a lot of good things with Forza 2, and some of those would be very welcome to the GT series in the opinion of many console racers and GTplanet members alike.

I myself played a ton of Forza 2 but have stated my opinion that I think the base physics model of GT5P feels better (especially in "professional" mode). That's why I and others hope the full GT5 builds in and improves on a lot of what makes Forza 2 a very good console race sim. Just because it's not GT doesn't mean it's A) irrelevant or B) a crappy game.

My 2 cents, I suppose. :)

Note: I was actually replying to certain people that were bashing GT on a GT fan website. Simply stating that instead of bashing GT why not go to Forzacentral and talk about the great things in Forza. An opinion of an opinion has no relevance to me. So instead of repeating myself time after time I simply made a recomendation thats all.

Note: I was actually replying to certain people that were bashing GT on a GT fan website. Simply stating that instead of bashing GT why not go to Forzacentral and talk about the great things in Forza.

TBH I'd rather have them here stating their own opinions and critisms about the game rather than teh usual fanboy praises/drooling *sorry*. Some people fail to realise that these "bashers or critics" do a lot of contribution on this forum.

Thats your opinion and I have no problem with it. Once again I didnt suggest someone close there account and never come back. I was simply referring someone to another site that I myself am a member of. People should be able to go were ever they want. Me rather having them here or there shouldnt have anything to do with there decision. For the Forza players once again the site is Forzacentral.com

TBH I'd rather have them here stating their own opinions and critisms about the game rather than teh usual fanboy praises/drooling *sorry*. Some people fail to realise that these "bashers or critics" do a lot of contribution on this forum.

That is exactly right. It is a "forum" not just a fan site.

GT4, Forza 1 & 2, Enthusia - all have their strengths & weaknesses:

Forza 1 offered far superior AI, collision physics & of course damage (as well as online), all essential to an exciting racing experience.

Enthusia offered a more detailed & challenging driving model, but no damage, & poor collision physics & AI which compromised the racing experience.

GT4 offered superb graphics & a huge car & track list, but with no damage & poor collision physics & AI, the racing experience was unrealistic & to me, at least, often boring. The great redeeming feature in GT4 for me was the Nurburgring which was a brilliant achievement - I'm sure I spent more than 50% of my time in GT4 on that one course.

One reason people are on this site & critical of the GT series, is because they realize it is far from perfect & hope it will be improved so that they can enjoy playing a superior product in the future. I, for one, would like to see a GT5 that has all the best qualities of the GT series PLUS the best qualities of Forza & Enthusia combined in one ubergame.

Now that's not too much to hope for is it? :cheers:

Dave A and Biggles have covered anything I could have added about Gran Turismo and its alternatives. Also, thank you, Dave, for explaining my views and situation.

In any case, Wolfe's comments are no surprise, he's been the most vocal anti-GT guy on the GTP for a long time.
Either you overlooked the "4" on "anti-GT4" or you glance over my posts without ever actually reading them. Somehow I doubt it's the former.

It's almost like seeing democrats talk about Bush... Very predictable and always one sided (while most will talk good and bad about both games, I've found that anti-GT people on the GTP are usually the most difficult in discussion because they will not give one inch- they simply must prove their is nothing good about GT). (ps, that's not about any one individual as much as it is about a group of people... and they know who they are :lol: )
Oh, I see. You don't read anyone's posts.

The jab at democrats explains a few things, too. :lol:

Considering I never played Forza 1 or 2, I've nothing to add about those games.

About the GT series and how it could happen that a GT3 lover could feel dissapointed with GT4, I'll just say that I fully agree with Dave A and Wolfe and, somehow, it's a shared experience.

Oh, and btw, I'm a conservative :D

I played forza 2 and enjoyed the low speed physics alot....not so the high speed stuff.GT4 was the best at this.FM2's oversteer in the mid to high speed stuff felt a little strange, as it seemed to lag in corrective input or the last bit of slide in the oversteer would get away from you when you knew that was nearing the gripping point. This may attribute to the fact I was using a controller and not a propper wheel (my pet hate) and also that the cars were a little too oversteery in the first place. Still FM2 has the best collision physics ever and the Ferrari/porsche/lambo stuff was to die 4.Right now I am totally engrossed with Enthusia battles with my cousins (3 laps single player time trial, with the fastest lap wins per car) whilst I wait till 23rd March in Oz for GT5p.

Ps im 35 years old and go through a rear set of tyres every 2 months...........used to be more when I was younger and the LAWS were less strickt!!!!!!

I to am one of these people who disliked GT4 quite a bit but I loved the other installments, especially GT3. I am holding out hope for GT5 to be similar to GT3 in the way of how good it was since it has basically the same scenario set up for it: new system, new graphics engine, lengthy development, new physics, etc. It's the installment after GT5 that I am worried about since I think it would probably be another GT4. Wolfe has addressed many concerns with GT4 and I agree with him on pretty much everything he has posted about it.

Forza is starting to get tiresome now and I haven't really played it at all over the past months. It is a great game and as I've said I like the physics more so in it then in GT4, but I will wait till I get the final version of GT5 to make the call on whether or not it is better.

I honestly believe that a lot of the posters who doggedly defend the GT series against all & any criticism are kids who grew up on GT & have an emotional attachment to the series. I have no such irrational emotional attachment - I'm just comparing games objectively:

GT4 had it's good points, but it also had serious shortcomings. I can see different people would have their own preferences, but it simply makes no sense to say (for example): "damage doesn't matter to me". Forza has it all over GT in the damage, collision physics & AI department & these are areas that really matter to any objective observer. Yes, GT has it all over Forza in graphics, track selection & wheel support. I'm hoping that GT5 will catch up with Forza in the damage, collision physics & AI department so that I can play the "perfect" game, however GT5P does not appear to be there yet, at least judging from the demo.

PS: yeah, Enthusia still has, in many ways, a more detailed & interesting driving physics - I noticed that immediately when I started playing it again a few days ago. But the fact that you (UNV412) have to play "time trials" rather than race with your cousins, underlines the shortcomings there...

I honestly believe that a lot of the posters who doggedly defend the GT series against all & any criticism are kids who grew up on GT & have an emotional attachment to the series. I have no such irrational emotional attachment - I'm just comparing games objectively:

I grew up on GT, I still remember getting the original GT and wondering why the hell anyone would buy a Subaru (which I had no idea what they were) in a mustard yellow colour. I think you can be very objective and look at the highs and lows of the GT series even if you grew up on it. In fact if you grew up on it you should know really well about the various quirks.

Playstation has the best on road and off road racing franchises in the world...
DiRT isn't an exclusive though.

Yes, I realize you weren't talking about DiRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back