Doctor Who Series 10TV 

• Thread starter Nexus
  • 11 comments
Australia
Adelaide

The new series just started, thought that I'd create a new thread for it.

The first episode was alright.
Bill seemed pretty good, and the episode seemed like a mix between Midnight and The Waters of Mars. I found Nardole to be irritating though.
I was disappointed by the ending though, the villain was capable of traveling through time and space, and they defeated it by telling it to...go away? That was underwhelming. Also...

Saw a comment on Reddit about Bill's ringtone around 21 minutes in, it's the sound of drums that The Master kept talking about from the earlier seasons. Can't wait for his return.

Just saw the second episode. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it still wasn't very good IMO.
The Vardi seemed like they were inspired heavily by the Vashta Narada, and the start of the episode showing the reason why the robots were killing humans removed all suspense.
The only good part of the episode was that Nardole only had a minor role. If they could cut down on the recycling of content next, that'd be great.

Finally got around to watching the third episode, found it much more enjoyable than the previous episodes.
There still seems to be a lot of recycling going on, from the "butterfly effect" conversation between The Doctor and Bill (just like the Tenth Doctor and Martha), to the monster (which was similar to the one in The Beast Below). I still liked the episode though.
Wondering who/what is inside that vault, I want it to be The Master but they're probably saving him until the end of the season.
Also, RIP Pete

Saw the latest episode, thought it was decent.
David Suchet did a brilliant job, though I didn't recognise him without the Poirot moustache. :lol:

When Bill mentioned the age of the landlord, I seriously thought that they were going to reveal him as being another Time Lord, like in "Utopia" with Professor Yana being revealed to be The Master.

I was a bit confused at the ending, I don't see why Eliza didn't just let her son live instead of letting them both die.
I felt that it would've worked better if the other housemates weren't brought back to life too.

I still feel that the person inside the vault is The Master. As someone on the Doctor Who subreddit pointed out, it would be like The Doctor keeping The Master around 'like a pet', as he said in "The Sound of Drums". And the music that was played on the piano after The Doctor mentioned "children getting eaten" does hint that it was indeed him, or at least someone else evil (perhaps The Valeyard?).

Am I the only person on GTP that still watches this show? :lol:
I really enjoyed the latest episode, this season just keeps getting better. Let's hope that they keep this up.
I actually liked Nardole in this episode, he wasn't annoying like he was in previous episodes. He's starting to grow on me.

The villains were good (they did seem inspired by the suits in Silence in The Library, but I'll let that slide), and the ending didn't feel rushed.

I was surprised by the ending, I'm guessing that The Doctor will remain blind until his regeneration. It kind of sucks, but it would be an interesting twist.

Missy was shown in the end of the preview for the next episode, which makes me feel that she's the person in the vault, but if that's the case, I'm wondering where The Master fits in. Perhaps he'll end up being like the Metacrisis Doctor?

Michelle Gomez (Missy) held an AMA on Reddit the other day.

Some of the questions she answered:

Q: What was your favorite part about your time with the Royal Shakespeare Company?
A: Getting my mouth 'round all those vowels. It was a real education. I probably got more out of it than the audience did. Stand up for Shakespeare.

Q: Favourite Missy line so far?
A: Hard to choose, but "Tell him the Bitch is back" is up there.

Q: Have you improvised any of your lines on Doctor Who?
A: There’s been a lot of what we call topping and tailing. Most of it ends up on the cutting room floor. Hey Missy You’re So Fine made the cut.

Q: What's your favorite memory from set?
A: Walking into a studio filled with every generation of Dalek was heart-stopping.

Q: As an actor, how much of the Mistress did you derive from yourself?
A: It’s hard to draw a line between the two, ya big fat finger.

Q: Who from the Doctor Who cast would you most like to act alongside again and why?
A: Peter Capaldi in a heartbeat.

Q: What's the funniest thing that's happened on set?
A: Shoving Clara down a hole. It made me laugh.

Q: Out of all the villains featured throughout the show's history, who would you most like Missy to team up with against the Doctor?
A: Probably the Silence, I’d team up with the silence and just whisper my evil around.

Q: What's the trickiest part about playing such an iconic character?
A: Having to be absolutely fabulous all the time. It’s very tiring.

Q: What has been your least favorite part of starring in Doctor Who?
A: Knowing everything comes to an end. Nothing stays the same. This too shall pass. NEXT!

Q: Are you in the vault?
A: That’s very careless of you. I hope you get a new pair. I’m not answering your question, you silly sausage.

Q: I just wanted to ask whether there were any bad guys and girls from movies or TV of old that you took inspiration from?
A: No. I tend not to do any research or think about anything I’m about to do. Ever. It’s called blind ignorance.

Q: How do you usually watch Doctor Who episodes you're in, or, how do you plan to watch the next episode you're in?
A: I don't watch them, because I've already been in it and done it, so I feel like I've already seen it. Got it?

Q: What will you take away from the role and what's the best thing about being apart of the Doctor Who universe?
A: I’ll take away a great sense of satisfaction and immense gratitude for all my wonderful fans. Also the umbrella for whacking people I don’t like the look of.

Q: If Missy was to meet up with any previous Doctor, who would you choose it to be and why?
A: It would have to be a Baker and Pertwee interface because they were my Doctor from my generation. Missy would like to go to Paris with them for a croissant on the Champs Elysees followed by a quick trip up the Eiffel Tower.
Q2: Be honest: Would you throw them off the Eiffel Tower?
A2: That would have to be a definite maybe.

Q: Just wondering, which has been your favourite series of Doctor Who to film so far and which is your favourite episode out of the ones you've appeared in?
A: The last episode of series 8 on the steps of St. Paul’s Cathedral with a Cyberman backdrop, upstaging St. Pauls.

Link to the AMA

One of the questions that she answered may have revealed something about series 10:
"How would you describe Missy in Series 10 with three words?"
"Strong. Fragile. Hostility."
Link to the question

Missy...fragile? That seems out of character for her, but that does lend credence to the theory that The Doctor is taking care of her in the vault.
My favourite theory though is that John Simm is in that vault as the next Doctor, instead of The Master.

Just finished watching the latest episode.
Nardole was brilliant in this episode, it finally feels like he has a purpose. In earlier episodes, it just felt like he was shoehorned into the script.

The villains were a bit like The Silence, not that that's a bad thing. They managed to pull off the "it was a simulation" twist really well too.

The episode as a whole felt very dark, which is when Capaldi's Doctor is at his best IMO. It also gave off an "Angels and Demons" vibe, which was great.

All in all, it was a brilliant episode. Hopefully the series ends on a high note.

Saw the latest episode.
The plotholes brought down the episode a bit for me, but I still found it enjoyable.

Firstly, the three military leaders seemed alarmingly quick to surrender themselves to the monks, especially since they didn't even know what the full terms and conditions of the agreement were..

Secondly, what was with the ridiculous situation at the lab? What kind of lab releases it's potentially deadly mix of air directly into the atmosphere without any proper filtration, or kill switch? And who on earth would take off their helmet in an enviroment with potantially deadly air?

Finally, why couldn't The Doctor just do a video call to Bill with the sonic sunglasses? If I remember correctly, he was able to do something similar in a previous episode...

The new Doctor has been announced:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...hittaker-shouldnt-be-a-shock-for-fans/8715734

I'm surprised at how unsurprised I am at how much of a surprise this is.

To quote from the article...

"
He said Whittaker's appointment to the role was a "well-needed shot in the arm".

"It's a very interesting institution when you become a fan of Doctor Who because you're in this huge indoctrine of this very long-running organisation," Mr Black said.

"It's a very big fandom. They needed to take it in a more creative direction and I think it's a very exciting time to be a Whovian.""

Personally, I don't watch the show or care much at all about who plays the Doc but I certainly hope they aren't pulling a Marvel and just going after the SJWs... If it's a shot in the arm they needed then this should be a great move but when it's disingenuous it usually leads to failure.

Personally, I don't watch the show or care much at all about who plays the Doc but I certainly hope they aren't pulling a Marvel and just going after the SJWs...
Neither do I, but if Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat are behind it, then I doubt it's stunt casting. They plot things out pretty intricately - they set up the Redbeard subplot in the second season of "Sherlock" even though it didn't pay off until the fourth season. So my guess is that they've had a pretty good idea of what they wanted for a while now and have been working towards it.

As for it being "shot in the arm", I never could get into the show, even with the Gatiss/Moffat reboot. It's a very esoteric series.

Back