Dodge Challenger News: 2009 R/T and SE Models Debut

  • Thread starter Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 364 comments
  • 22,600 views
The Hawk was a Studebaker in disguise, though, but, yeah, I'm hoping they can pull Chrylser off the ground.

It was called the Studebaker Golden Hawk too! đź’ˇ
 
And you live in Michigan???

Personally speaking, I think they're some of the most-exciting vehicles this country ever produced, but that being said, I can certainly appreciate the European cars of the era as well. My brother is more into muscle cars than I am, I have a pretty distinct preference to having breaks and the ability to turn right or left, but I can certainly appreciate the big Torinos, Chevelles and Roadrunners...

I'm more of a fan of the classics from Europe and Japan to be honest. I can appreciate what they meant for Detroit but they just don't do it for me, even the modern ones don't really get me going.
 
Thats alright, but you're definitely an odd critter for this territory. Most of us live, breathe and die anything musclecar. People who aren't even into cars love the damn things around here...
 
It's still not the Challenger's color.

Indeed.

vp1.jpg
 
mmmmm....that's not really it, either. I was thinking...oh, bright lime green, or Hemi Orange.
 
A little more news/photos:

Articles from autoblog have some official shots and a few interior shots to go along with:

challengersrt8aw.jpg


challenger_interior_01.jpg


I like the outside. It just looks quite good IMO. The rear looks a little fat from that angle but hopefully it'll turn out better in metal.

I'm a little disappointed with the interior. It looks like they really didn't put any effort into it. And the shifter looks a little odd.
 
That interior looks like rubbish and probably feels awful as well. At least attempt to do something cool with it like they did with the retro style on the Camaro.
 
Nah, they pulled the stereo from a minivan or something, but I was half expecting that, with Chrysler in trouble. that shifter's kinda cool, being a modern interpretation of the old "Pistol-grip"

I'd put up with it if the car got up and went.
 
It [the interior] is definitely a step up from the interior of the Charger. That's a good sign.
 
I like the Camaros, Mustangs and Corvettes and 'Cudas, but the idea of shoving a big V8 into a car that can't and never will be able to turn just isn't appealing. I like the German and Japanese idea of sports car much better. But then again, I grew up in Prius loving Seattle so I'm pretty much corrupted for life.

I'm glad you qualified that statement... ponycars could be made to just about turn (with a little fettling thankyou Mr Shelby/Guldstrand) and the Corvette was pretty much cutting edge in '63 and right up til '72 remained one of the highest performing road vehicles you could buy, British and Italian exotica included.

While I love old cars in general, given a choice between new and old for an everyday vehicle for use in modern traffic, I'd go new every time. Even if the only thing old about the car was the shell, and you retrofitted all the good handling, braking and power stuff... you can't beat 40 years of advances in safety technology and crash structures. They may be heavier because of it, but modern vehicles are simply better, period. When some numpty in a Range Rover rear-ends me on the motorway, or t-bones me on a dual track, or just drives into me in the middle of London because they're too stupid to realise that using a cellphone is illegal (f---wits) I want to be in something new.

But... cruising through light traffic on secondary country roads on my way to a show'n'shine or drag meet, I'll take the risk and run my oldies. :)
 
It [the interior] is definitely a step up from the interior of the Charger. That's a good sign.

I haven't really looked around the Charger, but if that is a step up then the Charger must be just awful.
 
I'm glad you qualified that statement... ponycars could be made to just about turn (with a little fettling thankyou Mr Shelby/Guldstrand) and the Corvette was pretty much cutting edge in '63 and right up til '72 remained one of the highest performing road vehicles you could buy, British and Italian exotica included.

While I love old cars in general, given a choice between new and old for an everyday vehicle for use in modern traffic, I'd go new every time. Even if the only thing old about the car was the shell, and you retrofitted all the good handling, braking and power stuff... you can't beat 40 years of advances in safety technology and crash structures. They may be heavier because of it, but modern vehicles are simply better, period. When some numpty in a Range Rover rear-ends me on the motorway, or t-bones me on a dual track, or just drives into me in the middle of London because they're too stupid to realise that using a cellphone is illegal (f---wits) I want to be in something new.

But... cruising through light traffic on secondary country roads on my way to a show'n'shine or drag meet, I'll take the risk and run my oldies. :)

A shame we don't have rep anymore, as youd've had it.

older cars of any sort are really weekend cars, even older trucks. a newer car is better daily.

@Joey...yeah, the Charger's interior feels huge, and wasn't hat impressive when I sat in it. If I can find a place to not fault the Challenger's, it's that it's pretty simple, and really isn't more than I need.
 
I haven't really looked around the Charger, but if that is a step up then the Charger must be just awful.
My Dad owns one, and I've driven it quite a bit. It's a sea of plastic. But, it was a damn nice American interior for late 2005.
 
That interior looks like rubbish and probably feels awful as well. At least attempt to do something cool with it like they did with the retro style on the Camaro.

I see that you're capable of making that decision based on the center stack. :rolleyes:

I haven't really looked around the Charger, but if that is a step up then the Charger must be just awful.

The Chargers interior isn't that bad, it just isn't class leading. It's fine.

My Dad owns one, and I've driven it quite a bit. It's a sea of plastic. But, it was a damn nice American interior for late 2005.

Exactly, it was so much better than a Ford or GM interior then. But they've gotten better, and Chrysler has gone no where.
 
My Dad owns one, and I've driven it quite a bit. It's a sea of plastic. But, it was a damn nice American interior for late 2005.

Aren't all American interiors that way? The Charger at least looks like they put effort into making it look somewhat pleasing instead of this which has the Charger stereo and 3 knobs for climate control.
 
Interior thoughts:

It looks good, but I'm uncertain if it will feel good. Chrysler does a good job of hiding sub-par quality that way, as most of their interiors look great... But when you see them up close, its a no-go.
 
Looks like it's already up on fueleconomy.gov. Look for 13 city, 18 highway and 15 combined.

That probably won't fly too well in a few years. They should probably be thinking 20 at least.
 
Remember, this is also the SRT-8 version. the less powerful R/T (With MDS Cylinder Shutdown) and V6 models haven't come out yet.
 
That is true. They can get away with selling a special version with no fuel mileage and still sell to people that want to save the earth.
 
I see that you're capable of making that decision based on the center stack. :rolleyes:
Come now. He based that on more things than just the center stack. Such as the badge.
 
A little more news/photos:

Articles from autoblog have some official shots and a few interior shots to go along with:

challengersrt8aw.jpg


challenger_interior_01.jpg


I like the outside. It just looks quite good IMO. The rear looks a little fat from that angle but hopefully it'll turn out better in metal.

I'm a little disappointed with the interior. It looks like they really didn't put any effort into it. And the shifter looks a little odd.
ill take one in silver please
 
Looks like it's already up on fueleconomy.gov. Look for 13 city, 18 highway and 15 combined.

That probably won't fly too well in a few years. They should probably be thinking 20 at least.

Wow that sucks. The Viper gets really similar fuel mileage.
 
Stick the T56 onto the 6.1 or the 5.7 and I'm sure the mileage will climb upwards quite a bit. Although, it does make you wonder how heavy the car is...
 
It's twice as safe and gets twice the mileage of the 'cuda of yore. Stop complaining.
 
That interior looks like rubbish and probably feels awful as well. At least attempt to do something cool with it like they did with the retro style on the Camaro.
2 photos of the main console & the stick, & you suddenly can decide it's rubbish and will feel awful?
 
I love the shifter. The centre console is a bit too black plasticy.
 
2 photos of the main console & the stick, & you suddenly can decide it's rubbish and will feel awful?

The gauge pod looks quite cheap as well, along with the top part of the dash. Honestly I can not imagine this will be even close to feeling like a quality product if other vehicles in the Dodge line are any indication. Maybe they changed it up for the Challenger but I'm really doubtful. It's just another sea of cheap, American, plastic.
 
2 photos of the main console & the stick, & you suddenly can decide it's rubbish and will feel awful?

It doesn't look like they worked too incredibly hard at making the center console look good. That just gives the impression that the rest of the interior will probably show the same levels of commitment.
 
The gauge pod looks quite cheap as well, along with the top part of the dash. Honestly I can not imagine this will be even close to feeling like a quality product if other vehicles in the Dodge line are any indication. Maybe they changed it up for the Challenger but I'm really doubtful. It's just another sea of cheap, American, plastic.
So, as I said, you're just going to base your opinion off 2 photos that have not focused on anything but a console & a gear shift, and on previous Chrysler vehicles?

If I'm not mistaken, is the Challenger not the first car being produced under the Cerebus ownership? How do you know Cerebus won't be changing the quality?
 
So, as I said, you're just going to base your opinion off 2 photos that have not focused on anything but a console & a gear shift, and on previous Chrysler vehicles?

If I'm not mistaken, is the Challenger not the first car being produced under the Cerebus ownership? How do you know Cerebus won't be changing the quality?

Which is exactly why I used the words "looks like" and "probably" in my statement. I just honest can not be inspired by it and I'm willing to bet it's terrible.
 
Back