Dodge SRT-4: SportCompactCar of the year

I remember reading that article thanks for reposting it. This really shows what this car is capapble of. I have also noticed the SRT-4 has gained alot of street cred. Everyone I meet seems to think highly of it and I know my car is aquitting itself quite well at the strip. I just did a baseline dyno pull today. At the wheels I'm getting 228 hp and 249 ft-lbs. I have just over 5000 miles on my car and it is bone stock. I can also confirm that the SRT-4 will indeed beat a WRX in the quarter mile. A WRX will always get the hole shot but I always catch up at the end of 1st gear and I'll walk away from a WRX after that. Just wait till I have my stage III installed along with a few extra goodies I have planned installed, then I'll be able to beat an STI ;) (I saw one a couple of days ago at a gas station and talked to the owner for a few minutes. Those STIs are damned nice cars, but I like the SRT-4's seats better.)

Yeah, I test drove a WRX STI (2004) a few days ago. My opinion on it is the same as Car and Driver's review. The tires produce just as much noise as they do grip, and a little understeer as well. Its a nice car though...

I h8 them Kind of Bugeyed cars also the TVR T400R Tuscan Speed 6 and the Speed 12 could, beat that Dodge or a Dodge Viper have that Dodge and Dodge Viper.

Stop spamming. You have been warned. If you continue flooding the forum, you will lose post count or you will be banned.

Hey, got the stage one kit from Mopar a few days ago (my dad did without me knowing, surprise kind of thing). Im really happy about it. More get-up-and-go. I can take on stock Stangs now (Im not challenging Cobra's or Saleens, then I would be a ricer, plus its just stupid), though I think I could have taken them on anyway. Im going after some Suspension parts now (to get some better handling), some nice racing wheels too (the same size as the ones on now), and that would be it for now. Modern Performance is coming out with parts for the SRT4 (I think they might have already though) so I will see what they have :).

So far, my dad has gotton to 60 in 5.3, a .3 faster than stock. We may get some BFG G-Force tires as well. Im not getting any cosmetic changes other than the wheels (though we are thinking of painting it Dark Blue (or Bonzi Blue, like on the Viper GTS)...

Have a new Silver SRT coming in about a month. Lots of new trick stuff. Limited slip and new flow settings; hp up to 233 tq up to 250. Also some new times on turbo start & Shut down. Can't wait. A real bummer on trade in for 2003. Oh well, got to have the new tech. (Limited Slip for sure) I know it is available at Mopar but it voids warrenty to have it even put on at a dealer. It is just sswwweeeeett!!!

Attachments

• srt @ lake cresent.jpg
    srt @ lake cresent.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 72
Have a new Silver SRT coming in about a month. Lots of new trick stuff. Limited slip and new flow settings; hp up to 233 tq up to 250. Also some new times on turbo start & Shut down. Can't wait. A real bummer on trade in for 2003. Oh well, got to have the new tech. (Limited Slip for sure) I know it is available at Mopar but it voids warrenty to have it even put on at a dealer. It is just sswwweeeeett!!!

Attachments

• srt @ lake cresent.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 75
As found in numerous car magazines (Motor Trend, and others) the 2004 model of the SRT4 will get 15 more hp raising it to 230 hp and 5 more ft-lbs of torque raising it to 250 ft-lbs of torque and an optional sunroof. There will also be a factory Limited Slip on the car as well :) and I think it will be for the same price...

POS? You dont know what your talking about. An RSX is slower than you think. And it isnt very high to own an SRT4 (at least where I live). Today's honda and Acura engines are hard to make power these days without having to get Nitrous or add Forced Induction.

An RSX being more reliable? Go to the Acura lots, and tell me what you see in the back waiting to get into the garage. When we went most of what we saw were RSX's and TSX's waiting for mechanical work. I havent had trouble with my srt ever since I got it, and I drive it hard. A few others that I know say the same. Check your facts before you come in here and post...

i like how the srt4s quick for its price and stuff, its looks are alright, but id prefer the rsx, celica or the integra(jdm front) over it on looks. i like the srt4s styling over the new mazdas and the ford focus though, its looks are even with the new sentra, and the new cavaliers are just ugly. i think the srt4 would be the clear winner here for overall performance, but i wonder how its handling compared to the other cars, especially against the integra and the rsx.

lsk8er, please think before you speak. you obviously do not know what you are talking about. It does not get 11mpg, and obviously, if Frus bought it for around 20-21, and hasnt had to pay maitenance, then he has not spent 40k on it (yet). And while it is easy to boost the hondas, its not cheap. Those people that sell turbos and N20 kits know that they will always have tons of teenage buyers, so they can jack up prices. Its much better to buy something to boost performance from the people that make them (or are at least affiliated, like mopar and dodge). Please dont be dumb, make logical arguments. That being said, I think the SRT4 is ugly as sin. Its a fast little devil, and I cant say I would be ovvverly ashamed to own one...I just would never refer to it as a neon...only srt4. But yeh.

Originally posted by lsk8er
it gets like 11 mpg and the cost to own is like 40 grand...

It only gets 11 mpg when you drive it hard (bug DUH coming your way). When Im just driving around town or the highway I can get 22 city and 28 highway (your making yourself look more ridiculous). The car is $20,000, and the insurance isnt so high along with maintenance to raise that to $40 grand either.

It handles great as well (though it doesnt pull as many G's as a few other competitors, it turns just as well if not better). Read the article I posted on the SRT4 on the page before this one. A slightly modified SRT4 beat a few WRX's and even lapped a few on a wet track. Some Chysler Engineers have been winning with it in the SCCA Pro Rally as well.

I like the RSX and all, but it is sluggish (we test drove one), just not as fast as you think. It handled good though.

lsk8ter, dont post in here anymore as you obviously dont know what your talking about. Roll and eyes.

In a few days we are going to get an LSD for the car. We are also planning order a Carbon steel front upper strut bar from SC Sports. After maybe two or so more suspension parts, that would be it on the performance upgrades for now. Other than some nice wheels (same size as the ones I got on now), but nothing too flashy...

I've been in northern Iraq for the last three months, so haven't had a chance to follow/post stuff in here. Anyway, here's my two cents' worth on the latest:

2004 model: yes it may have LSD and a sunroof, but those things will add weight, complexity, and increase the price to over $20K MSRP. When I'm driving my 2003 silver SRT, I'm thinking Porsche Carrera RS (the older, stripped down road version), not the newer ones with power everything, awd, yadda yadda.

Please let us know how that STB works out. I've been looking for a one-piece stb, but to my knowledge no one makes one yet. I put one on a Saturn SW2 I used to own, and it made a noticeable improvement. It was a dual-tube one-piece design, not one of those three-piece adjustable abominations like you see on so many ricers.

As for wheels, if you want a nice set of wheels that are practical, look at Centerline RPMs or Excels. They're LIGHT, something like 8-10 lbs less per wheel than comparable Motegis, Eagles, Konigs, etc. Not cheap, but every lb in unsprung weight you save is like 3 lbs in sprung wt once the car is moving. Saving 40 lbs in wheel weight is 120 lbs in sprung weight, that's better than carbon fiber hood, trunk, and going on a diet! I might be getting a set of Allessios, 17x7.5, for $500 out the door. But I'm also going to look at a set of 17x7, hyper black, that I saw on eBay, and the seller's shop is about an hour away. That way, we can do a fitment test to make sure they'll fit.

Anyway, it's good to be back home in the land of fruits and nuts, and earthquakes, floods, fires, riots, actors as governors, etc.

Robert
Fillmore, CA
2003 silver SRT-4

Originally posted by socalsrt4
I've been in northern Iraq for the last three months, so haven't had a chance to follow/post stuff in here. Anyway, here's my two cents' worth on the latest:

2004 model: yes it may have LSD and a sunroof, but those things will add weight, complexity, and increase the price to over $20K MSRP. When I'm driving my 2003 silver SRT, I'm thinking Porsche Carrera RS (the older, stripped down road version), not the newer ones with power everything, awd, yadda yadda.

Yeah, but the Sunroof is optional, so you can opt not to get it, and though the LSD does add weight, it helps you get the power to the road, and a noticable difference in handling.

Please let us know how that STB works out. I've been looking for a one-piece stb, but to my knowledge no one makes one yet. I put one on a Saturn SW2 I used to own, and it made a noticeable improvement. It was a dual-tube one-piece design, not one of those three-piece adjustable abominations like you see on so many ricers.

Well, we dont have it yet, but DC Sports has a stabilizer bar for the SRT4 (www.dcsports.com)

As for wheels, if you want a nice set of wheels that are practical, look at Centerline RPMs or Excels. They're LIGHT, something like 8-10 lbs less per wheel than comparable Motegis, Eagles, Konigs, etc. Not cheap, but every lb in unsprung weight you save is like 3 lbs in sprung wt once the car is moving. Saving 40 lbs in wheel weight is 120 lbs in sprung weight, that's better than carbon fiber hood, trunk, and going on a diet! I might be getting a set of Allessios, 17x7.5, for $500 out the door. But I'm also going to look at a set of 17x7, hyper black, that I saw on eBay, and the seller's shop is about an hour away. That way, we can do a fitment test to make sure they'll fit.

Im thinking of getting some nice 6 spoke wheels, like the SSR Competition AML's in gunmetal or black, maybe silver, or maybe a 5 spoke. Im keeping the wheels the same size though.

Anyway, it's good to be back home in the land of fruits and nuts, and earthquakes, floods, fires, riots, actors as governors, etc.

:lol:. Welcome Back...

-FP
Solar Yellow SRT-4 (soon to be blue).

Got my new wheels today. Not exactly what I went down there for, but it was a good learning experience. Yesterday, a shop near my home had some Allessios, in 17x7.5, +35mm offset. They fit perfectly, cleared the front calipers, but to me they were too wide. They went ahead and mounted the stock 205/50-17 Michelin tire on the Allessio, and to me it didn't look right. It was like the rim was too wide for the tire, in that the sidewall had no bulge to it at all. In fact, it looked like it tapered away from the rim where the sidewall met the tread.

So today I go down to a place called Victoria Tire, which has a few sets of wheels for auction on eBay. The one set I was interested in was 17x7 Volante Type 10, +42mm offset, $390 "Buy It Now" option. I find the place, and they bring out one of the rims. It looks good, but when they go to test fit the rim, low and behold the backside of the spokes are rubbing against the caliper. So we look at some other rims, and he brings out a 17x7 ADR Sokudo 10 in silver, +40mm offset. Another tire dealer told me these rims wouldn't fit, but they fit even better than the Allessios. So I went ahead and bought the Sokudos, and the total price was $435, which was $365 for the rims plus 8.25% tax, and $40 for new tuner lugs, locks, and the labor to swap the tires and re-balance them on the new rims. I'll take some digital pics once I get my boxes that I mailed to myself from Iraq. One of the boxes has the USB cable for the camera.

Now all I'm waiting on is the "mid" wing I won on eBay, to replace the "high" wing that came stock on the SRT-4. I think the wheels and lower wing will dramatically change the looks on my silver SRT-4. It won't look so "fast and furious" with the smaller wing, and the 7" wide rims really make it look and ride better.

it's a damn neon for christ sakes.i was watching that stupid import show with the two wigga brothers on Spike TV and they had some guy driving a SRT-4 Neon reviewing it.

it looked like they didn't close the hood all the way and it some shots i saw it move.

Doomsday -

"it's a damn neon for christ sakes"

Yup, it's just like a neon, except for the engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, seats, wheels, exhaust, etc. Get the point?

It's like saying the EVO VIII is just a Lancer...

It's just a Neon, when referring to the SRT-4, is great for insurance purposes though...!

Originally posted by socalsrt4
Doomsday -

"it's a damn neon for christ sakes"

Yup, it's just like a neon, except for the engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, seats, wheels, exhaust, etc. Get the point?

It's like saying the EVO VIII is just a Lancer...

It's just a Neon, when referring to the SRT-4, is great for insurance purposes though...!

i meant the "quailty/workmanship" of the car and so forth.i know the motor is a mistu

The Honda Integra Type R DC2 is not in the same class as a srt4... ITR are one of the best FWD car ever, I think. ITR understeer like every FWD car but the thing that make it so special rather than the higher hp is the suspention... dont forget the R in ITR stands for "RACING" ;) , in some best motoring races ITR's can beat S2000,S15,WRX,CTR, etc... it really depends... the Integra type R is a legend in its own... the JDM one that runs around 14.5-14.7s that is very fast for a 200hp FWD car... thats respectiable but even though the very fast straight its even better in corners... it would beat a SRT4 i would say...

The SRT4 is really fast and i respect it alot but i dont like the look it dont really grabs me...

:bowdown: Honda Integra Type R (DC2)

ROll

It costs about $400 if not a little less for an SRT4 to handle just as good as the ITR, and it can beat it. The SRT4 beat a few in the One Lap of America Challenge, along with a few WRX's (which it went on to lap a few on a wet 4 mile track), EVO's, and a 600 hp Mercury Cougar. That was with 250 hp, and a few minor upgrades. Dont get me wrong though, I like ITR's...

Back