Dodge Viper Appreciation Society

• Thread starter Jarnac
  • 102 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Once upon a time when I was only a teenager, probably around the year 1998, I would spend many, often even too many, an hour playing a game known as the 'real driving simulator'.
This game was a great game, a very great game.

Anyways ...
Dodge Viper GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car - you've got to have it!

Viper91a.jpg

I love the other Vipers too, this was the last one I acquired and has now completed my collection ;P.

When I first drove the Viper in the Original GT, I found it one of the most challenging cars to drive. Since then, as my experience has progressed, I have always sought to buy a Viper early in a game's career as the Viper represents so much performance value for money - and once confident with, is a joy to drive.

:)

Last edited:
Who are you?
They're just one of those people who get irritated by people starting threads that already exist. Although I don't think it would hurt to make a nicer approach, sean. But hey, it wouldn't hurt to use the search function in the yellow box by your name, would it? If you did that, you can avoid those angry people telling you that you created a pre-existing thread.

The Viper is so great, it deserves it's own appreciation thread.

Perhaps. In the same way that an Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo is so annoying, it needs its own anti-thread, courtesy of me.

I mean, I don't go around making threads praising the FTO Super Touring Car all the time because that's my favourite (well...I do have a review thread so meh). If you're saying it's meant to be an appreciation thread, at least change the title so people know what you're trying to say properly.

Problem is...then you'll just attract a lot of Corvette C5R fans then.

Perhaps. In the same way that an Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo is so annoying, it needs its own anti-thread, courtesy of me. If you're saying it's meant to be an appreciation thread, at least change the title.

One step ahead of you.

One step ahead of you.

Aaand now wait for the Corvette fans to throw their fire torches into the thread. :lol:

I do like the SRT10 Coupe though. Looks prettier than the ACR while still getting 1000hp. :D

Though I will say this quietly, I do find the racers...a bit boring. Especially as I can find better alternatives for them. And I also noticed yesterday: the #51 and #91 are exactly the same minus badging, but why is one Level 21 and the other 22?! Especially as Level 21 is abundant already with NASCARs and the like.

The Dodge Viper GTS blue with white stripes(i think it was called) was the first expensive car i bought in Gran Turismo, and i remember trying to beat that race with the heavily tuned cars, and i kept thinking, how is a Toyota Soarer so much faster then my Viper(mind you, i was 9 at the time).
And one day coming home from school, my dad read the manual, and said you can tune your car, and he showed me how to tune it, and i smashed the rest of the pack. And from there, it has become one of my favourite cars in GT's history.

The look, the power, the stripes, the wheelspin off the line, i own 10 variations in GT5 right now, but for some reason i can't paint a white striped red GTS blue, and keep the stripes.
Also the Team Oreca was my favourite race car in GT2(?) the white and blue version(correct me if i'm wrong)

Also the design of the car, i think they did a great job, taking that whole idea of a Viper snake, and made the car look and feel like an actual Viper, like the car is this aggresive and dangerous snake.

Aaand now wait for the Corvette fans to throw their fire torches into the thread. :lol:

I do like the SRT10 Coupe though. Looks prettier than the ACR while still getting 1000hp. :D

Though I will say this quietly, I do find the racers...a bit boring. Especially as I can find better alternatives for them. And I also noticed yesterday: the #51 and #91 are exactly the same minus badging, but why is one Level 21 and the other 22?! Especially as Level 21 is abundant already with NASCARs and the like.

Well.. it aint like the Corvette isn't a good car, I have a few of those myself.
The Viper race car does seem slightly tamer / more user friendly than the roadies.. no idea why the different levels - can't figure out the reasons for some of the level differences of race cars in the Nissan dealership either.

Too bad that the Oreca Race Car isn't premium.

I agree, we need a Viper RM.

Last edited:
The Dodge Viper GTS was my first favorite car. I also long for a blue/white GTS and a premium Viper race car. I just can't help but like an unrefined modern GT version of the 427 Shelby Cobra. Hopefully the 2013 SRT Viper gets it right and makes its tire-smoking way onto Gran Turismo sooner rather than later.

One day I start talking to a guy wearing a Viper shirt and it turned out he used to work for the Viper plant. Beeing a car nerd I thought it was pretty cool. My moms neighbor owned a yellow/black GTS that I drooled over every time went for a visit. Vipers are just fun cars. I see Mustangs and Camaros every day. But seeing a Viper is almost like seeing a Ferrari. Cheers

Is it just me or do I recall a Hennessy version of the Viper being on GT2? It seems that there was one but I might just be remembering my attempts to create one.

I can still remember doing arcade races around high speed ring with the Viper set to the drift setting in GT1...I had no idea what that even meant at the time haha

I should think the FIRST GTS was in the dreams of most pubescent boys back in the day. They was things of beauty (still are), not to mention the thought of driving that V10 engine. :nervous: yum yum

:grumpy: If only we could all have one :sly:

The one that I would class as the 'proper' ORECA viper should be in this game as a premium!
dodge-viper-gtsr-22.jpg

Love doing the stars &stripes seasonal at cape ring with the ACR - awesome ride... Have to say tho that the super license test with the oreca viper at laguna seca in GT2 used to drive me mad! ;)

It's the only car that has a "Drift" button. It's right next to the brake pedal.

I thought it was a beast but it actually is a pretty sharp car. Even when mashing the throttle and sending it to a drigt, it's specially controlable.

The GTS is cerntaily a retrolicious 90s rocket that has a love for easy, controllable drifting.

One thing I liked racing before my PS3 died was using a premium stock Dodge Viper GTS with Sports Medium tires. Very fun car :)

I love driving my oreca viper. I have both and they are two of my favorite cars in the game. They handle so good and they are nice and fast.

The Viper is so great, it deserves it's own appreciation thread.

I can say the same thing about Ferrari. Does that mean it deserves it's own appreciation thread? :rolleyes:

The Viper is ok. Not my favourite (especially with the millions of kids in free roam rooms who drive 1000hp ACR's and always try to race you :yuck:, despite not realizing your car is far less powerful), but drives nice.

Back