Does F1 2021 look next generation?

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 17 comments
Not really. The engine is 6/7 years old and probabky wasn't really designed with next gen in mind at the time. It has some refinements, nicer textures and lighting, more detail in things like the grass and stuff but it's not a night and day "this is next gen".

Well the game is no longer blurry as it is on old gen. It’s able to hold the resolution higher and with no frame rate hiccups. This is exactly what I bought next gen for so I’m happy
I guess I should add to mine it depends on what console your going from/to.

E.g. Xbox One X to Series X, both 4k60, no real night and day difference, regular Xbox One to Series S or X, night and day difference.

It is indeed a sharper image. Especially Yas Marina circuit. The rest is clearly old engine being maxed out. Lile the shadow of the halo is not sharp and crips. The reflections on the car a not as good as you imagine the to be. But, it looks as good as possible and not bad at all. I really hope they change the engine for next year, or create a real jump in graphics with this engine.

As a general rule, it takes 2 cycles before you see a TRUE next gen title for a new sytem.

The differences between PS4 and PS5 versions seem minimal to my eyes. There's likely something there that I don't notice, though.

Not really. The engine is 6/7 years old and probabky wasn't really designed with next gen in mind at the time. It has some refinements, nicer textures and lighting, more detail in things like the grass and stuff but it's not a night and day "this is next gen".
That's why I'm waiting until 23'

That's why I'm waiting until 23'
If you can afford it, I wouldn't wait. I like the challenge of having to learn a track thoroughly so you can identify that one curb you can't ride without trouble.

The AI drivers are really good to battle with. To me, they seem a little smarter because there are times when I have the line and they'll back out and there are other times when they'll bully me off that line.

I like the safety cars and I like the fact that the AI can DNF and it's not only for a mechanical failure.

The character models look “next gen” but it mostly looks the same as 2020 when you’re driving. The frame rate feels a little smoother though.

Last edited:
There is a new engine in development currently. I can't recall if it is being used from 2022 or 2023 though.
Isn't CM jumping in UE4?, rumor has it they are using it for their forthcoming WRC games, so if that true then they should be using it for F1 franchise as well.

As a general rule, it takes 2 cycles before you see a TRUE next gen title for a new sytem.

The differences between PS4 and PS5 versions seem minimal to my eyes. There's likely something there that I don't notice, though.
What about Ratcher & Clank? That looks true next gen to me.....this latest F1 looks really good now,but you can tell its the old graphics engine maxed out. The character models in the braking point story were much improved from the PS4 days - although the career mode garage mechanics still look bad. Overall,i think the current game looks very good - but im expecting a true next gen improvement in the next one.

Id also like to see much more radio chatter,with the real drivers recording lines for the game - is that possible?

Back