Does GT Sport Represent a Generational Leap Over GT6?

I'm still so confused as to why PD would throw away their proven formula and focus almost strictly on online racing. That's ostracizing a huge percentage of GT faithful who like collecting cars, modifying & tuning and then cruising with said cars. There's going to be some kind of offline, single-player mode for those gamers who don't like MP racing, right? Does anyone have an idea on what the SP/Offline Mode is going to be like?

Poor Nürburgring of GT6... [It is sad to see].

Why the hell did they choose the GT4 styled Nur for the comparison :confused:

granturismo6_28cpuvg.png

kxmtfvgous6.png

Could somebody take some 1.06 Nur screens from behind the car with no hud?

I'm still so confused as to why PD would throw away their proven formula and focus almost strictly on online racing. That's ostracizing a huge percentage of GT faithful who like collecting cars, modifying & tuning and then cruising with said cars. There's going to be some kind of offline, single-player mode for those gamers who don't like MP racing, right? Does anyone have an idea on what the SP/Offline Mode is going to be like?

Times are a changing, GT sales are declining. PD can not keep doing the same thing over and over without having major improvements(yes THEY have to be major improvements when only do a game every 5 years) Like it or not E-sports is the hot thing right know and somebody got through to Kaz and told him you need this to stay relevant

Hi mate! About offline :

The joy of improving and advancing for everyone
The Campaign Mode of Gran Turismo Sport is a large scale offline content that provides a hands-on experience to allow even beginners to learn driving skills from scratch. They will eventually improve to a level where they can participate in major race events.

i183QQ9CG7dbr.jpg

Beginner’s School

From basic skills such as hitting the brakes and how to turn into a corner, fundamentals can be learned from the bottom up, which will prove invaluable for newcomers to driving games.

Mission Challenge

As you work your way through short missions, you will automatically pick up fundamental driving skills without even realising it. In the end, you will have a level of skill that will allow you to participate in major race events.

Circuit Experience

Through actual experience on a race track, you will step into the true world of high-performance driving. Use the knowledge of track layouts learned in the mission challenges to pick up the basics of how to conquer a race track.

Race Etiquette

In online, as well as real races, etiquette on the track is as important as performance. Learn the rules of etiquette and sportsmanship that’s required in all player-vs-player races. Even if you’re not a top driver with lots of confidence in your skills, you will still have plenty of fun because each player will be matched fairly with people of their own level for fair and equal online racing.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/products/gtsport/driving/

There will be also the typical arcade mode with personalised race, drift, crono and split screen local multiplaye for 2.

True. But they have to get off their a**es, because in the last couple of years, lots of very strong competitors entered the market: Forza Motorsports, Project Cars, Asseto Corsa, Dirt Rally. (I have no idea why the hell PD is working on a rally driving mode and forcefully making it a part of the core GT experience. Has anyone asked for that? But that's probably a topic for another thread).

I think PD's only chance of being successful in the current and upcoming market is by making online competitive racing really good, because that's a really cool feature that currently only iRacing has to offer on the PC platform. However, Project Cars 2 is also going to have an improved online racing mode, and if that game pulls it off well, GTS will have a tough time objectively differentiating itself - PD and Sony will have to do rely good marketing to sell well, rather than product quality. They probably have a killer marketing budget with which they can push away Project Cars 2.

Right you are. I believe they've been getting away with it all this time due to their relationship with Sony and the strong marketing guns they've had in the ranks. The way GT is marketed, it always manages to sell a ton of copies and I don't see that playing out any differently with GTS.

But like you said, they really need to get off their behinds and smell the java. Not sure how long they can continue to push their luck this way. Competition is absolutely fierce - PCARS2, FM7 and then GTR3 coming to consoles next year and maybe even a second Assetto Corsa game unveiled perhaps next year or so. I'm sure it's in the works!

Edit - i did not notice the article is mostly about graphics, physics and sounds, so my answer is not related to these matters. I seem to be focusing too much on how the game changed, that every time i talk about it, i repeat the same stuff... But here it is anyway.
---------

That depends on what each one of us value and how we feel about changes. Some will like, some won't bother, some will have trouble, like myself in this case.

Here's an analogy: GTS is like Porsche making small practical SUVs like the Macan and killing the 911. It's what's hot now and it'll sell, and people will keep their jobs. But the fans...? Some (maybe a lot) will move on.

Speaking for myself - i respect this new concept, i understand it, but it's not my thing, so despite being a leap forward, i see it as something else almost entirely.

Last edited:
Ahhh...I should have know @Donnced would have some info for me. :D 👍 Thanks, Donnced.
While @Donnced is correct in what he posted, the single player aspect of the game have basically turned into what specifically looks like the License test of the older titles. If you want to look more deeply into it, check out this thread.

If you're looking for offline racing, from what we've seen so far, "Arcade Mode" Seems to be the only area where we'd be able to race.

Last edited:
While @Donnced is correct in what he posted, the single player aspect of the game have basically turned into what specifically looks like the License test of the older titles. If you want to look more deeply into it, check out this thread.

If you're looking for offline racing, from what we've seen so far, "Arcade Mode" Seems to be the only area where we'd be able to race.

Yup, true, the main feature of the game is really the "sport mode" that are the 2 FIA Championships.
And you have to do the campaign mode before to get the digital licence that allows you to participate in sport mode if i understand it correctly.

You have also the normal personalised online lobbies on P2P servers what indeed let the arcade mode the only way to "race" offline.

Times are a changing, GT sales are declining. PD can not keep doing the same thing over and over without having major improvements(yes THEY have to be major improvements when only do a game every 5 years) Like it or not E-sports is the hot thing right know and somebody got through to Kaz and told him you need this to stay relevant
I'm sure we can find a middle ground because so far it's not a GT in my eyes : from 40 Skyline models to literally none.

The cars look better, that is for sure. But the environment around the track does not. the trees are still 2d sprites and teh grass in the rally stages from what I have seen is also crap and like it wast out of gt3. So e foliage needs to be in 3d and more alive just like in bf and witcher 3 for example.

But the cars looks almost real.

The cars look better, that is for sure. But the environment around the track does not. the trees are still 2d sprites and teh grass in the rally stages from what I have seen is also crap and like it wast out of gt3. So e foliage needs to be in 3d and more alive just like in bf and witcher 3 for example.

But the cars looks almost real.

I noticed that too but the game still looks quite impressive. Here's hoping it remains locked at 60 fps this time around. But I can't hide my disappointment at the fact that they didn't focus enough on physics and sound... again. Maybe it wasn't on the cards to begin with - maybe this generation too, PD just want to get by with the bare minimum. Oh well, graphics and number of cars you get to drive trumps everything else right?

Really bitter over the fact that I had to ditch the franchise over other games. Well, tough luck. The game will sell like crazy as always and PD will likely continue to oversell its formula from the PS2/3 days.

No mention of GTS's sound effects? It makes me wonder where these effects fall in order of importance. How far does it fall or rise in PD's list of priorities?

Not totally dissatisfied with current situation but it was reported that they made some adjustments. It would be a shame if they would continue to clone individual engine notes AND offer less than 750 cars in GT7. Two steps back?.. AND DLC? I'm loosing intrest fast.

No mention of GTS's sound effects? It makes me wonder where these effects fall in order of importance. How far does it fall or rise in PD's list of priorities?

Not totally dissatisfied with current situation but it was reported that they made some adjustments. It would be a shame if they would continue to clone individual engine notes AND offer less than 750 cars in GT7. Two steps back?.. AND DLC? I'm loosing intrest fast.

Hey there, big sound nut here.

The sound thing has been brought to light many times on the forum both from real gearheads and people who have played the beta. Using my real-world driving experience and YT vids I've seen, the sound left me rather unimpressed. As you said, it is just a package that comes with adjustments here and there. They didn't exactly go back to the drawing board, because a number of cars still lack that visceral exhaust sound bite and don't even get me started on the shifting sounds. GT is GT, and it probably will be. Many have already stated that Kaz's vision is no longer "relevant" and I tend to agree. It's all about an insane number of cars and pretty graphics. It ends there. If you're looking for any breakthroughs in car audio or physics, best to move along.

I still somewhat shake my head in disbelief - I mean there is SO much competition in the market now and you'd think PD would up their game a little. But apparently the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or in this case "don't change a thing" is the formula PD likes to stick to. Hardcore fans of the game and perhaps to some extent, new comers, will buy it like crazy, you'll see. And that's one major reason I imagine that the developers at PD make just minor adjustments every new release because they are so confident in their sales projections.

After all, why wouldn't they be? It's marketed very cleverly.

Back