Does the Deluge of New Hypercars Hint at a Return for GT1 Racing?

They mostly hint at the disappearance of the middle class, and the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

99% of them sold will never see a race track, and the only block they’ll be seen on is at the auction, 15 years from now.

I really liked the GT1. The road cars of that time were facinating, i recently got a closer look at them in Forza 7, cars like the Porsche GT1 and the Mercedes CLK GTR. Would love to see cars like that again. Both the ACO and Toyota already hinted at the strong possibility that the next generation of LMP1 will look more like road cars.

They mostly hint at the disappearance of the middle class, and the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer.

99% of them sold will never see a race track, and the only block they’ll be seen on is at the auction, 15 years from now.

How so? Considering some of these hyper cars are set up for programs that purposely make you drive them, seen at various shows and car events and so on.

As for the disappearance of middle class, that too isn't shown because of these cars, when the middle class sector is seeing an influx of luxury cars they can buy. If anything the automotive world is just increasing in how much cars are statement in nearly every class sector.

I really liked the GT1. The road cars of that time were facinating, i recently got a closer look at them in Forza 7, cars like the Porsche GT1 and the Mercedes CLK GTR. Would love to see cars like that again. Both the ACO and Toyota already hinted at the strong possibility that the next generation of LMP1 will look more like road cars.

It would be nice, just make sure it doesn't die the way the last one did, and it may last longer than the 8-10 years it was seen. Also it should be noted that those 8-10 years weren't constant since the GT1 class changed a couple times during that lifetime.

Given that the FIA and ACO can't keep dragging the dead corpse that is LMP1 around for long, I would love to see a return of the GT1 class. It would likely be incredibly short-lived, but still provide an awesome period of racing to look back upon. I imagine BoP would be a nightmare, and the boutique automakers can't afford to go racing at the top level for very long, assuming they even join. It would be a hot mess and yet would still be one of the most exciting eras of road racing to go down. I'm here for it!

I'd love to see a rebirth of the GT1 class if only for the wild homologation specials that would come out of it. 90s GT1 gave us some of the coolest homologation specials out there, such as the Toyota GT-One. Who knows, maybe the GR Super Sport hints at what the TS060 will be like.

Given that the FIA and ACO can't keep dragging the dead corpse that is LMP1 around for long, I would love to see a return of the GT1 class. It would likely be incredibly short-lived, but still provide an awesome period of racing to look back upon. I imagine BoP would be a nightmare, and the boutique automakers can't afford to go racing at the top level for very long, assuming they even join. It would be a hot mess and yet would still be one of the most exciting eras of road racing to go down. I'm here for it!
The LMP1 grid will double in size next season with new entries from Rebellion, Manor, SMP, Dragonspeed and possibly others. The LMP1 non-hybrid cars will be performance balanced with the hybrids.

The 2020 LMP1 regs have already been agreed. They're known as GT-Proto and will be LMP1 hybrids, but with strong road car styling cues. They'll be closer (looks wise) to GT500 than DPI. The likes of Toyota, Ford, McLaren, Aston Martin, Renault, Porsche etc. are involved in the region discussions. Privateers will be catered for as each major component (like the hybrid) will be performance balanced and spec'd, so they can be produced by the well known chassis and drivetrain suppliers.

Last edited:
GT1 will not be revived anytime soon. There wouldn't be enough manufacturer interest.

GT1 will not be revived anytime soon. There wouldn't be enough manufacturer interest.
Except for Toyota, Ford, McLaren, Aston Martin, Porsche... ;) I wouldn't call that no manufacturer interest. And 'GT1' was just in name. These cars will be nearly like that concept except no homolagation specials needed for the road.

Except for Toyota, Ford, McLaren, Aston Martin, Porsche... ;) I wouldn't call that no manufacturer interest.

How many would actually build a Motorsports program around them though?

Toyota might.
Ford is doubtful considering their GT program is only a passing fancy.
I don’t see McLaren doing Le Mans in the top class again until their F1 team is winning again.
Aston seems content with GTE
And Porsche is an unknown.

I would love to see it come back along with Ferrari and Pagani, but I doubt it will come back.

How many would actually build a Motorsports program around them though?

Toyota might.
Ford is doubtful considering their GT program is only a passing fancy.
I don’t see McLaren doing Le Mans in the top class again until their F1 team is winning again.
Aston seems content with GTE
And Porsche is an unknown.

I would love to see it come back along with Ferrari and Pagani, but I doubt it will come back.
The post I quoted said there's no factory interest. Multiple websites and motorsport pundits claim otherwise. In fact, just today dailysportscar had an interview with a McLaren guy who said this on lmp1
I’m biased – if it were to evolve into something where what they were racing looked like the road cars then that would be a wonderful place and we would be delighted to be involved in it.

Ford's GT is most likely done after 2019 or 2020, and if the cars turn towards a GT-look prototype, I think the next step is pretty logical. The GT would look great in a prototype like way.

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/12/the-latest-hypercars-would-make-awesome/

gt1-renderings-05.jpg

Since race cars have gotten less and less related to their roadgoing equivalents in the past decade even though road cars have been implementing more and more technology, aerodynamics and performance into them that one would think would make the marketing opportunity better, signs point to no.

The 2020-21 "hypercar" LMP proposals sound interesting (hello Valkyrie), but whether the regs can attract and sustain manufacturers remains to be seen. If this doesn't help then we're back to square one where we are right now in the current hybrid era.

The 2020-21 "hypercar" LMP proposals sound interesting (hello Valkyrie), but whether the regs can attract and sustain manufacturers remains to be seen. If this doesn't help then we're back to square one where we are right now in the current hybrid era.
The hope is that the cost will be 1/4 of what it is to run a current LMP1 program, so that alone should help attract manufactures.

I called this a long time ago. I knew GT1 was coming back after LMP1 failed. It’s the next logical step.

But seriously FIA, call this new class GT1 or we’re having a problem.

Personally, I just want to see if Ferrari is returning to the top with a successor to the LaFerrari. That would be really interesting.

Back